51 replies to this topic

#1 mehpenn

mehpenn

Christian Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,143 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

Just curious... how much grain do ya'll feed? Pound wise...
I'm in the process of switching mine over to a higher fat/higher quality feed... going from nearly 14 pounds a day per horse to.....? 8-10?

If I've got an 1100 pound horse, a 1000 pound horse and an 800 pound horse....?

I am sooooooo bad at this figuring by weight.

~Mary~
Penley Farms

~*You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.*~

#2 Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

I only feed 1lb a day of a ration balancer ... and free choice hay

My life is my family and my horses.

#3 mydakota

mydakota

Ex-Con

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

I don't really feed grain at all. I feed about a pound (maybe a little less) of alfalfa pellets along with Horse Guard vitamin/mineral supplement, and hay 3 times a day. If it is going to be particularly cold, I will boost the hay up to free choice. In normal temps though, I like them to run out an hour or two before the next feeding as it helps a lot with cutting down waste.
I got 2 wonderful horses at Emerald Valley Equine Assistance Horse Rescue.
Dakota-6 year old bay Quarab gelding
Macai-17 year old black Arab mare

May your horse never stumble, your cinch never break
Your belly never grumble, your heart never ache.

Until you learn to always take care of your horse before you take care of yourself, your horse can never be expected to take care of you. (Grandpa Thompson)

R.I.P. Kelso, Half Arab gelding B ? 1961, D 12-17-94 my companion for 23 years.
R.I.P. Nerak, Arabian gelding B March 1973, D 2-14-00 my companion for 25 years.
I will listen for your hoofbeats in heaven.

I met a few board buddies! MondaesMom, Andi, Audrey Mae, Silverdreamer3, Red Ripley, Beaucephus, Desperate Horsewife, Rodentra, Mrs. , xpasocorto, Scapoose, Paca Paca, Adoro Reina, Remy, LightningStrikesTwice and Quarterflash!

#4 kidsncritters

kidsncritters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (Peggy Sue @ Jan 21 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only feed 1lb a day of a ration balancer ... and free choice hay

Same here- I feed 1/2 lb am and 1/2 lb pm with an oz of heathly oil total per day and a Tbl stock salt . I feed free choice hay in slow feeders so they have it 24/7.
My horses are 1300 lbs, 1000, 1000, 1000 lbs and they are all at great weights with one being too fat.

Peggy- what brand do you feed? Just curious. I love my ration balancer.
Leave only hoof prints!

#5 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

Well in the winter it's cut down some because of not as much going on out here.

In the winter it's weanling get a pound, once a day, older mare (15) gets a pound of ration balancer once of day, yearling gets 4 lbs once a day and 2 year old gets 2 1/2 pounds once a day.

In the summer weanling I haven't had then so will go by his weight, older mare still gets her 1 pound of ration balancer once a day, yearling gets 3 pounds twice a day and two year old gets 3 pounds twice a day.

It all goes off their weight and growth. If their weight is down due to growth I up it, if their getting a bit chubby I down it.

A good thing to do when switching feeds is start off with the recommendations on the back of the bag, and cater to your needs from there.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."

#6 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

None. Not in winter, they aren't being ridden and don't need it.

Even when i AM riding and competing the most any of mine get is 3 lbs a day. Few horses actually need huge amounts of grain. Horses working hard (racetrack, ranch work, rodeo, etc) usually need supplemented with grain. Most average riding horses who do trails and maybe show once in awhile need little or no grain. Of course there are health reasons for some horses to need extras, especially older horses.

Right now i feed one bale of hay Am and Pm for five horses. They get 1/2 lb beet pulp (dry weight) soaked in the afternoon. They ONLY reason they get BP is because 3 of the 5 need joint supplements. If it weren't for that they'd all just get hay.

I weighed the different types of grain i use just yesterday. I use the same scoop for all the grains. One scoop of beet pulp is 1 lb, same scoop of Triple Crown Complete feed is only 1/2 lb, one scoop of the TC Lite is 3/4 lb. This is why it's so important to actually weigh the feed on a scale instead of assuming a 1 lb scoop will always be 1 lb of feed.

Bumper

Founding member of GOATS: Guardian Of All Things Stray!

Jasper's #1 Fan!

Visit My Website, Harvest Kennels, Field Bred Springer Spaniels

#7 Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (kidsncritters @ Jan 21 2010, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peggy- what brand do you feed? Just curious. I love my ration balancer.

I use Kent's Horsego32 and I love it, I have actually seen improvements and mine came off of Buckeye Gro N Win

I have also tried TC30% and didn't like the way my horses acted on it after 10 days .. so never really got a chance to see how it worked long term since it was making them silly

#8 Kristina

Kristina

Cowgirl Up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

My horse was getting 2 pounds of a local 9% feed in the morning and same in the evening but he was too fat on it. So now he gets 2 flakes of hay 3 times a day and a salt and mineral block free choice and so far so good.
Buck (Appaloosa)
(RIP)

Proud owner of my second horse- Sarge, QH/T-bred, 8 years old, 15.3hh chestnut gelding

Heart Breakin, Horse Breakin Cowgirl!!!

Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

Live each day to the fullest, like it's your last and don't be afraid to cry.

I met a Board Buddy... Ride 18, Apps4Life

#9 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

Mine are getting 3+ lbs of Strategy right now once a day. 3 quarts of strategy is just over 3 lbs. In the evenings they get a flake of Alfalfa and they always have free choice, not so great, grass hay and whatever they can pick out of the pasture.

I have two growing babies tho and one older mare that cant hold her weight too well and a young mare who was very thin when I got her so I am feeding more to get, and keep, them at a good weight.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#10 ohNine

ohNine

Cowgirls don't cry...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

None.

My gelding gets 25 lbs of hay per day, half in the morning, half at night. Plus a mineral lick, and that's it. Though I am considering putting him on a ration balancer just to make sure he's getting everything that he needs. He's stays nice and round and shiny on just hay though.
...Boots are made for sawdust floors, stirrups on a quarter horse. To kick yourself when you've been a fool, climbin' up on bar stools. Two steppin' under neon lights, ain't too bad in a bar room fight. For kickin' off when you're tired and sore, that's what boots are for...

#11 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,302 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

One to 4 pounds a day, depending on the horse. Most of mine are either growing youngsters, or older mares. One old toothless gelding gets 15 pounds of senior, with soaked hay cubes. I don't think he has more than 2-3 teeth left. I feed Nutrena.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#12 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

2lbs of ration balancer (1 morning and 1 night). This includes a horse who stays in work. I up their hay if I see they need more, not the pellets. I use Grow N Win.
If you say nothing to a horse, you mean nothing to a horse.-Robert Dover
Proud owner of:
"This Charming Man"-Winston: 20 year old, bay, Appendix QH, Semi-retired, but still working and being rotten:-) The boss man!
"Bend it Like Beckham"-Beckham: 7 year old, black, Perch/TB. Showing Second Level and schooling Third.
"Grand Temptress Shelby-Shelby: 15 year old, bay, Oldenburg. Second and Third Level.

"You will never get to Grand Prix waving a carrot stick at a Warmblood."

#13 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

It depends on what feed the horses are getting. I always feed at least the minimum amount recommended on the bag. If you don't then they aren't getting the full complement of vitamins and minerals. If a horse is too fat on the minumum amount, then I put them on a different feed or a ration balancer/supplement. If too thin, the first thing I always try is increasing the hay.

With my current easy keepers? They all get 1 lb am and 1 lb pm of Triple Crown Lite - basically a ration balancer. Two get about 20 lbs of hay a day and the smallest, easiest keeper gets about 16.

Interestingly, one of those same horses used to be on a fairly cheap 12% pellet and would need 10 lbs total (I think it was) in the winter, plus a cup of corn oil and 25-30 lbs of hay a day to keep his weight. Once I went to a better quality feed, with everything balanced, he's held his weight every winter on just 3/4 cup of flax and 2 lbs total of the TC Lite or 1 1/2 lbs total of the TC 30% Supplement. Oh and only 20 lbs of hay a day. I know it wouldn't be true for every horse, but I'll never feed anything other than high end feeds again. It's cheaper in the long run and better for the horse.

ETA: mehpenn, what feed are you going to and what does the bag say? Those suggested weights to feed are there for a reason. Now if you're talking about dog food?? LOL Then I never feed nearly as much as suggested on the bag. However, with horse feeds, it really is important to feed at the minimum recommended amount. If that's too much for your horses then you need to find a different feed or balancer.

Edited by ExtraHannah, 21 January 2010 - 07:37 PM.

Cadence Rhythm Beads is now on:
Facebook
and on
PhotoBucket

#14 Ellie2WJumper89

Ellie2WJumper89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

These numbers are split into two equal feedings per day. None of these horses are currently in work.

Ellie, 12 year old Paint mare, 15 hh, 1000 lb:
3 lbs Safe Choice
1/2 lb beet pulp (dry)
1/2 lb Empower
25 lbs hay

Lady, 20 year old QH mare,15.1 hh, 1000 lb:
4 lbs Safe Choice
1/2 lb beet pulp (dry)
1/2 lb Empower
25 lbs hay

Willow, 5 year old Paint mare, 14.1 hh, 800 lbs:
2 lbs Safe Choice
1/2 lb beet pulp (dry)
20lbs hay

<3 Caitlin

*Ellie's Way Won-1998 APHA Mare
*Renaissance Lady-1989 AQHA Mare

Rest In Peace
Sheza Breezy Willow
2.13.05-11.10.10

"No army can withstand the strength of an idea whose time has come."
-Victor Hugo-

HC's Token Gay Girl and Resident Homosexual Penguin Expert

Another Hopeful Vet Student-My Blog

Board Buddies I've Met: t_aire_e, BuddyRoo, Lash Man and Al Girl, katie may, Goldentoes

#15 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Generally speaking, it is considered kind of a bad idea to feed more than 5lbs of concentrated feed in one feeding. Just FYI.

It's much better to make up caloric intake with more forage than with grains.

I personally feed a handful of feed with supps...and that's it. The most i've ever fed a horse in work was about 3 lbs of Nutrena Compete twice daily.

A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#16 mehpenn

mehpenn

Christian Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,143 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

ETA: mehpenn, what feed are you going to and what does the bag say? Those suggested weights to feed are there for a reason. Now if you're talking about dog food?? LOL Then I never feed nearly as much as suggested on the bag. However, with horse feeds, it really is important to feed at the minimum recommended amount. If that's too much for your horses then you need to find a different feed or balancer

I'm switching from Stock and Stable sweet, 10/3 (protein/fat).. where I'm feeding about 7 pounds morning and night... to keep them maintaining their weight.... to Horseman's Edge 10/10... it's way more expensive but I really do not like feeding so much grain.
And my horses don't have access to pasture... they're also getting about 15-20 pounds of hay per day per horse....
And my older mare doesn't eat a lot of hay, and really could stand to gain a little, I think. I have her on a new senior feed that is supposed to be a complete feed.... it's WAY more expensive but with her not being able or willing to chew on hay, she needs it.

I weight taped the horses the other day... Kelly came in at 15.2hh and just under 1000 pounds. You can feel her ribs but can't see them.
Ginger came in at 14.2 1/2" and just over 800 pounds... you also can feel her ribs but not see them... but her coat is very thick this year. I worry about her.
Chief comes in at 16.2hh but I haven't weighed him yet... he's being boarded until our barn is finished. You also can feel his ribs but not see them.

~Mary~
Penley Farms

~*You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.*~

#17 Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (mehpenn @ Jan 21 2010, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm switching from Stock and Stable sweet, 10/3 (protein/fat).. where I'm feeding about 7 pounds morning and night... to keep them maintaining their weight.... to Horseman's Edge 10/10... it's way more expensive but I really do not like feeding so much grain.
And my horses don't have access to pasture... they're also getting about 15-20 pounds of hay per day per horse....
And my older mare doesn't eat a lot of hay, and really could stand to gain a little, I think. I have her on a new senior feed that is supposed to be a complete feed.... it's WAY more expensive but with her not being able or willing to chew on hay, she needs it.

I weight taped the horses the other day... Kelly came in at 15.2hh and just under 1000 pounds. You can feel her ribs but can't see them.
Ginger came in at 14.2 1/2" and just over 800 pounds... you also can feel her ribs but not see them... but her coat is very thick this year. I worry about her.
Chief comes in at 16.2hh but I haven't weighed him yet... he's being boarded until our barn is finished. You also can feel his ribs but not see them.

Triple Crown offers a much better quality feed then either of those you have listed adn normally has lower feeding levels with higher and better nutrition then Purina.

I would go with Triple Crown Senior or Triple Crown Low STarch BOTH are grain free or lower grain

#18 ozland

ozland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,302 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

If you don't then they aren't getting the full complement of vitamins and minerals

This is not necessarily true. Feed manufacturers do NOT take into consideration what's in YOUR hay when they make those recommendations. If you are feeding good hay, and enough of it, you probably have it covered without all that feed. It's a good thing to know your hay.

And Peggy Sue? Triple Crown products are not available in many parts of the country...like here for instance.

#19 Streakin4Cash

Streakin4Cash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

I have a 23 and 24 year old mares. I feed Purina Equine Senior. They get 3 1/2lbs am, 3 1/2lbs pm, free choice hay. We keep round bales out plus a mineral block.

#20 Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (ozland @ Jan 22 2010, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Peggy Sue? Triple Crown products are not available in many parts of the country...like here for instance.

They are aval to the person I quoted though :)

and yes manufactors do consider hay as part of the diet. which is why MOST directions say along with x amount of hay

#21 ozland

ozland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,302 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

As part of the diet, yes, but not for vitamin and mineral content. They can't, because it varies so widely, from regions grown, to types of hay in different regions. Even the same type of hay grown in the same region differs in content, depending on how/when it was fertilized (or not) and how/when it was cut and baled. Which is why you need to KNOW your hay, on a personal level, so to say. THEN you have a better idea of what ELSE you should be feeding.

#22 mehpenn

mehpenn

Christian Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,143 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

Triple Crown products are not available in many parts of the country...

I was pretty sure I'd seen it around here, so I called the feed store to see.... and It's available here, but it's special order and it's about $20 a bag... yeah, so that's not happening.

~Mary~
Penley Farms

#23 mehpenn

mehpenn

Christian Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,143 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:05 PM

Okay, so let me ask this.

If a horse is currently getting 14 pounds a day (7 am and pm) of grain that is 10/3 (protein/fat)... and 15-20 pounds of hay ... And they're switched to a grain that's 10/10, with the same amount of hay... how much grain would you feed?

I'm thinking the label says something like 3/4 pound per 100 pounds of body weight... but that's also what the other feed label said... and that obviously didn't work AT ALL.

I know no one can tell me exactly what to feed.. but I'm trying to get a general idea. I mean in theory, if they're getting over three times the amount of fat, you'd think you'd be able to cut the grain nearly in half... which would be close to what the label suggests... but after feeding so much for so long, that scares me.

According to the label, Kelly, for example would get... 7 1/2 pounds a day, right? Divided into two feedings.. which would be half of what she's getting now.

Edited by mehpenn, 22 January 2010 - 10:08 PM.

~Mary~
Penley Farms

#24 Streakin4Cash

Streakin4Cash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

063 35CZ S STA N PURINA HORSEMAN'S EDGE TEXTURE 10:10 HF STA

NET WEIGHT SHOWN ON BAG AND/OR INVOICE
35CZ
R R
PURINA HORSEMAN'S EDGE TEXTURE 10:10 HF STA
BRAND
FOR MATURE PERFORMANCE HORSES

CAUTION:USE ONLY AS DIRECTED

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
CRUDE PROTEIN (MIN) 10.0000%
CRUDE FAT (MIN) 10.0000%
CRUDE FIBER (MAX) 12.5000%
CALCIUM (CA) (MIN) .7000%
CALCIUM (CA) (MAX) 1.0000%
PHOSPHORUS (P) (MIN) .5000%
COPPER (CU) (MIN) 55.0000PPM
SELENIUM (SE) (MIN) .6000PPM
ZINC (ZN) (MIN) 220.0000PPM

INGREDIENTS:
WHEAT MIDDLINGS, COARSE BARLEY, SOYBEAN OIL, CANE MOLASSES, DRIED BEET PULP,
LIGNIN SULFONATE, GROUND BARLEY, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, PROPIONIC ACID (A
PRESERVATIVE), DL-ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, L-LYSINE,
CYANOCOBALAMIN, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE,
NICOTINIC ACID, VITAMIN A ACETATE, CALCIUM IODATE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, COBALT
CARBONATE, FERROUS CARBONATE, CHOLECALCIFEROL, MANGANOUS OXIDE, GROUND CORN,
SODIUM SELENITE.

RUMINANT MEAT AND BONE MEAL FREE

13STA S 35CZ

PURINA MILLS, LLC PO BOX 66812 ST. LOUIS MO 63166-6812

FEED QUESTIONS? PLEASE CALL 1-800-227-8941

(REVERSE SIDE) DIRECTIONS:
DO NOT FEED MORE THAN 5 LBS. OF THIS PRODUCT AT A SINGLE FEEDING.

AMOUNTS OF HORSEMAN'S EDGE TXT 10:10 HF TO FEED HORSES ARE SHOWN BELOW
IN POUNDS. PURINA RECOMMENDS THAT YOU PERIODICALLY WEIGH THE FEED TO
ENSURE THAT YOUR HORSE IS RECEIVING THE PROPER AMOUNT IN WEIGHT AS
WELL AS IN VOLUME. START WITH THE AMOUNT SHOWN FOR YOUR HORSE'S
BODY WEIGHT. AFTER OBSERVING YOUR HORSE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME, YOU
MAY WANT TO INCREASE OR DECREASE THE DAILY FEEDING OF HORSEMAN'S
EDGE TXT 10:10 HF RATION BY 10% TO KEEP YOUR HORSE IN THE
DESIRED CONDITION.

WEIGHT OF HORSE (LB.) 600 800 1000 1200 1400

MINIMUM POUNDS
PER DAY HAY OR
EQUIVALENT PASTURE 6.0 8.0 10.0 12.0 14.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

HORSEMAN'S EDGE
TXT 10:10 HF
DAILY RATION (LB)

MAINTENANCE 4.0 4.0 5.0 6.0 6.5
LIGHT WORK 5.0 5.5 7.0 8.5 10.0
MODERATE WORK 6.5 8.5 10.0 12.0 14.0
HEAVY WORK 9.0 12.0 15.5 18.5 22.0

INDIVIDUAL HORSE VARIANCE MAY REQUIRE FEEDING ADJUSTMENT PLUS OR
OR MINUS 10%.
PURINA RECOMMENDATIONS FOR FEEDING HORSES
--------------------------------------------
HORSEMAN'S EDGE TXT 10:10 HF IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BROOD MARES
IN LATE GESTATION AND EARLY LACTATION, OR GROWING HORSES.
HORSEMAN'S EDGE TXT 10:10 HF IS RECOMMENDED FOR MATURE PERFORMANCE
HORSES BEING FED GOOD QUALITY FORAGE THAT TESTS AT A MINIMUM OF 12%
CRUDE PROTEIN.

WHEN FED TO PERFORMANCE HORSES THIS PRODCUT SHOULD BE FEED WITH GOOD
QUALITY HAY OF AT LEAST 12% CRUDE PROTIEN.

THE RECOMMENDED FEEDING RATE FOR HORSEMAN'S EDGE TXT 10:10 HF

SHOULD NOT BE EXCEEDED. DO NOT FEED FREE-CHOICE. ANY FEED
CHANGES SHOULD BE MADE GRADUALLY OVER A PERIOD OF 7 TO 10 DAYS.
CHANGES IN THE RATE OF FEEDING SHOULD NOT EXCEED ONE POUND PER DAY FOR
EACH HORSE. FEED AT REGULAR TIMES (AT LEAST TWICE DAILY) WITH THREE
DAILY FEEDINGS PREFERRED.

REDUCE AND/OR DELAY FEEDING A HORSE WHICH IS HOT, EXCITED OR SHOWING
PAIN, FEVER OR DIARRHEA. LET HORSES FEED IN A NATURAL POSITION FROM
TROUGHS WITH LARGE BOTTOMS, PLACED AT NORMAL HEAD HEIGHT OR LOWER.
HAVE PLENTY OF FRESH, CLEAN WATER AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES.

MAINTAIN AN EFFECTIVE CONTROL PROGRAM FOR INTERNAL PARASITES. BE SURE
THAT HORSES ARE FREE OF DENTAL PROBLEMS. PREVENT THE RAPID EATING BY
THE HORSES OF ANY FEEDSTUFF.

OBSERVE YOUR HORSES' CONDITION DAILY. CONSULT YOUR VETERINARIAN IF
ANY PROBLEMS ARISE.

CAUTION:
STORE IN A DRY, WELL VENTILATED AREA PROTECTED FROM RODENTS AND
INSECTS. DO NOT FEED MOLDY OR INSECT-INFESTED FEED TO ANIMALS AS
IT MAY CAUSE ILLNESS OR DEATH.

IMMEDIATE

#25 Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:38 AM

I personally wouldn't feed "that" feed. I would find a lower grain or no grain formula or a ration balancer and add calories as needed..

WHat I have found in my resesarch and application is that many times when you "balance" the nutrition and lower the NSC you no longer need as much feed therefore while it might cost MORE per bag it actually saves you money in the long run.
And I like saving money :)

#26 ozland

ozland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,302 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:20 AM

WEIGHT OF HORSE (LB.) 600 800 1000 1200 1400

MINIMUM POUNDS
PER DAY HAY OR
EQUIVALENT PASTURE 6.0 8.0 10.0 12.0 14.0

To begin with, I have a large problem with this part right here. That's about half enough hay/forage for a normal horse's actual needs. Then they state that a horse in moderate work needs nearly equal amounts of grain to go with it? A 1000 horse should have a minimum of 20# hay/forage a day just for good gut function. After feeding multiple horses for over 40 years, I firmly BELIEVE this. Less is asking for ulcers and colic. Even my toothless old senior gets the equivalent in soaked hay cubes. Just because it's printed on a feedbag doesn't make it gospel. They are in the business of SELLING feed!

#27 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

Man, sometimes I think these feed requirements are nuts! If I fed my 1400 working horses that much feed they would be a mess! That is sooooo much grain IMO. Just asking for trouble. *However* I have no problem with sr horses with no teeth being fed the appropriate amounts of their sr feed.
If you say nothing to a horse, you mean nothing to a horse.-Robert Dover
Proud owner of:
"This Charming Man"-Winston: 20 year old, bay, Appendix QH, Semi-retired, but still working and being rotten:-) The boss man!
"Bend it Like Beckham"-Beckham: 7 year old, black, Perch/TB. Showing Second Level and schooling Third.
"Grand Temptress Shelby-Shelby: 15 year old, bay, Oldenburg. Second and Third Level.

"You will never get to Grand Prix waving a carrot stick at a Warmblood."

#28 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (Beckham03 @ Jan 23 2010, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, sometimes I think these feed requirements are nuts! If I fed my 1400 working horses that much feed they would be a mess! That is sooooo much grain IMO. Just asking for trouble. *However* I have no problem with sr horses with no teeth being fed the appropriate amounts of their sr feed.

Agreed. I have never, ever fed the "recommended" amount on a bag of feed. Every horse is an individual and we should feed to meet THEIR needs, period.

If that means a lot of grain, then that's what you feed. But everyone should start with the basic hay/grass ration and go from there. Add supplemental feed to fill the individual horse's requirements. Few healthy horses need huge amounts of grain unless they are under a heavy work load.

Senior horses, young horses, horses with health issues...different ball game. But still....feed the individual to meet his needs.

Feed for the ride, but RIDE for the fed.

Bumper

Founding member of GOATS: Guardian Of All Things Stray!

Jasper's #1 Fan!

Visit My Website, Harvest Kennels, Field Bred Springer Spaniels

#29 Streakin4Cash

Streakin4Cash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

oz, that is one thing I have noticed when reading feed tags also. I think it's just so they can sell the feed. If my girls were not senior citizens they might not require the 7lbs they get.

#30 ozland

ozland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,302 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

If I fed my fatties anywhere near what the bag recommends, I'd have a bunch of foundered horses on my hands!