• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chevaltx

chevaltx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

I need to put some weight on a hard-keeper (TB/Oldenberg cross), but I don't want to make him even more "hot". Does Alfalfa, Corn oil, Barley, or sweet feed make a horse hot?

#2 Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

barley and sweet feed as well as alfalfa can .. the corn oil is just fat so shouldn't

don't you have a thread in health about this horse??

My life is my family and my horses.

#3 Finnigan

Finnigan

Attempting regret-free living!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

Pick a feed higher in fat and lower in protein. Add corn oil. Feed plenty of top quality hay. Triple Crown makes an excellent senior feed, as well as a "complete" feed that worked wonders on any horse I've ever had.
Heather

Proudly owned by...

Finnigan Seamus, 3-year-old beagle mix
Luna, 7-year-old lab mix
Owen, 10-year-old QH gelding

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." John Wesley

#4 Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

Protien does NOT make a horse hot, if it did I would be in BIG trouble since my "feed" is 32% protien :)

#5 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

As said before, protein does not make a horse hot. Carbohydrates do.
So feeding alfalfa, which is about 16%-22% protein, and not much carbs, should not.
Sweet feed is almost ALL carbs, and with the phosphorus in it, can be contributing to cushing and sugar overload.
We feed a lot of plain 3-way hay, and not much sweet feed except to lactating mares/hard workers. By the way, adding oil can be a great way to keep the body heat up when it is cold, without the "hyper" overload.

Keep good quality hay in front of them all the time, and let them eat like horses. That is what they are designed to be.
"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#6 Finnigan

Finnigan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

I beg to differ!! Protein - too much, anyway, can in FACT make a horse hot. Seen it, read about it, know it. Depends on how you feed it.
Heather

Proudly owned by...

Luna, 7-year-old lab mix

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." John Wesley

#7 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

I refer you to this link.

www.shady-acres.com
Article by Susan Garlinghouse D.V.M., MSc

Equine researcher

"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#8 lisafitz

lisafitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

I have had good luck adding rice bran to their feed.
"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world."-

Anonymous

#9 Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Finnigan @ Jan 28 2010, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I beg to differ!! Protein - too much, anyway, can in FACT make a horse hot. Seen it, read about it, know it. Depends on how you feed it.

Would you please share this link ??

THat is a OLD OLD wives tale. What the real problem is that most of the higher protien feeds are LOADED with corn and other sugary goodies.

#10 Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departme...nsf/all/hrs3243

http://www.horsechan...tered-8531.aspx

http://www.agricultu...e-Care/Feeding/

#11 Finnigan

Finnigan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

Thanks so much for referring to my opinioins as old. Really appreciate that.

If you've been around horse folks long enough, you know we all have our opinions and we all believe we are correct.

You are entitled to yours and I am entitled to mine. I respectfully disagree with you.

I do agree that other added items in "sweet" feeds compound the issues at hand - that's a no-brainer. If you've ever attended a class on the way a horse metabolizes, including the foregut and hindgut etc., as I did when I worked for a feed company, you may not be quite as quick to discount my opinion.

Additionally, over the 30-some odd years of horse ownership, barn management, etc. that I have lived thru, I have tried and proved my theory. So to be honest, whether your theory holds water or not, it matters very little to me. I go with what I KNOW.
Heather

Proudly owned by...

Luna, 7-year-old lab mix

#12 Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

The research backs what I Know and you don't know what I have done so how can you dismiss me??

Like I said old ways die hard

#13 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

What peggysue said.

#14 dgRuffian

dgRuffian

Ruff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

Well you both are sorta right imo. The horse breaks down the excess protein it consumes into urea and carbohydrates. Like any carb, it is used for energy through cellular respiration. Or stored as fat. Urea is then eliminated as urine since horses cannot use it as a protein source like cows can and the source of the wives tale that excess protein causes kidney damage. Its because the horse has to eliminate all that urea. Feeding protein for energy is a waste of money since protein is not an efficient energy source due to how the cells deal with it during respiration. Which is also why breaking down excess protein produces more body heat as compared to carbs and lipids.

So stay away from the sweet feeds and other high energy feeds. Horses metabolize fats much better than all that sugar. And don't be afraid to feed alfalfa. It is actually lower in fructose than most grass hay and it is fructose that is causing all the laminitis issues.

Edited by dgRuffian, 30 January 2010 - 07:52 PM.

While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth......George Bernard Shaw

‎I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

We all love animals, but why do we call some of them pets and some of them dinner?

#15 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, also what DGRuffian said...TeeeHeee!