• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mickiep

mickiep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

Has anyone used gallium nitrate to treat horses with navicular? I've read about it on the internet, but I know you can't believe everything you read. According to George Eby, he has conducted studies and claims it will make navicular horses sound again.

#2 Southerngurl01

Southerngurl01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

Does it build digital cushion? If not, I doubt it would do much help :) It is possible to could aid in some manner though- but I don't see anything about HOW it's supposed to work?

Fix the source of the problem, get the back of the foot strong and functioning again.

Edited by Southerngurl01, 07 February 2010 - 03:34 PM.

Ashley

Owner of Zip and Doc, also have dairy goats, chickens and cats, and three dogs, Missy (the ancient- 17), Allie (the GOOD dog) and Safara (the dog's dog)

Flint River Ranch Natural Pet Food
Nubian, Toggenburg Dairy Goats in Arkansas
Ozark Herbal Association - Superfood, Supertonic, Echinacea, Liver Flushes...

#3 kidsncritters

kidsncritters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

I have used it for about 3 years now. We have had wonderful success with it to start. It gave us about 2 more show years with the horse. He was a 4 yr old QH when diagnosised. He was head bobble lame. Took him to the Iowa State Vet college. They are excellent for lameness issues. Our local vet referred us. Anyway Dream show navicular change in the xray. They injected him and it did very little. They wanted to nerve him and I just couldn't do it. We tried the GN. It took 3 mo and he was sound. Show sound. For 2 years he stayed show sound and my daughter rode him 6 days a week. She showed him halter,showmanship, clowned around with trail, WP, WT, Horsemanship, english and english equatition. Then she went away to college and I thought I would save some money since she wasn't riding him and dropped him to half doses. He was pasture sound (nobody else rides him). We had a really, really wet spring and when she came home from college he wasn't sound. We upped the dosage- took all summer to get him sound and back to college she went and doesn't have time to ride him again. He is pasture sound. We did bring him home hoping the grass and dirt would be better footing for him. He was on a sand lot where we boarded him. So it worked very well as long as we kept him on full dose. We have snow drifts over the fences here so no riding at home this winter. The other thing we have done is go away from shoes and bring his heels down and go with a barefoot trim. I am hopeful this spring will produce a barefoot, sound horse. I am also hopeful that with the barefoot trim we can start cutting back on the GN and keep him sound. Not about to do that just before show season though. Poor timing on my part. I would highly recommend it. Any other questions just ask.

He is 17 hands and has tiny feet. Kid is 5"11.5"

Leave only hoof prints!

#4 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

I think Gallium Nitrate's golden arrow is that it stops bone reabsorption. In some navicular cases it is the difference between sound and not sound and can be a life saver. In other cases, it does nothing because bone absorption is not a problem the horse is suffering from. GN should not be considered a quick fix for every navicular problem as we have all discovered that navicular encompasses a wide range of problems. It also be noted that GN is probably better delivered to the horse via limb perfusion instead of IM injection.
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#5 kidsncritters

kidsncritters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (..::Felda::.. @ Feb 7 2010, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Gallium Nitrate's golden arrow is that it stops bone reabsorption. In some navicular cases it is the difference between sound and not sound and can be a life saver. In other cases, it does nothing because bone absorption is not a problem the horse is suffering from. GN should not be considered a quick fix for every navicular problem as we have all discovered that navicular encompasses a wide range of problems. It also be noted that GN is probably better delivered to the horse via limb perfusion instead of IM injection.

I feed it in liquid form to our horse. It worked for our horse but I don't believe any one thing will fix all problems. I am not sure what Dream's problem was other than we saw definite changed in the bones when the vet pointed it out. It is pricey but if it works and helps the horse to be sound it is a good thing. I am hoping that by going to the barefoot method instead of trying the various shoeing ideas that it will help in the long term as well. Dream did seem to start moving better after we got the shoes pulled and got his heels down. Interestingly enough in one show the judge commented on how sad it was to see such a young horse with navicular (due to the type of shoe he was wearing). A season later- same judge- barefoot horse- judge didn't remember either the kid or the horse because he commented on how nice the horse moved and talked to her like he had never seen her or the horse.
Leave only hoof prints!

#6 StopDropRollChic

StopDropRollChic

Lost in the sauce! Like a meatball.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

will it reabsorb bone spurs?

Rebel Summer Storm - 99' bay QH/Morgan Mare
Bars Rock Music - 01' Sorrel Tobiano Gelding

#7 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:51 PM

Kids I'm just guessing here so correct me please if I'm wrong. The horse in your picture, it's the near side front that appears to be the worst? The near side knee (looks a little over to me) and the wide stance in the front are just like my guy. Yet, it sometimes has me thinking it's the off side front that is worse. confused0024.gif
Sappy's son Hunter is my wooden spoon minion. Hunter ROCKS!!
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#8 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

I didn't know GN was given by mouth now. I talked about it with the vet a couple of years ago and was put under the impression that it was only given by IV and that limb perfusion was the best method. It also was to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 per treatment and you have to keep that up as maintainence.

StopDropRoll, it STOPS bone reabsorption. It won't help a bone spur as far as I know.
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang