• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 dudelover4eva

dudelover4eva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

I'm in the process of looking for a new barrel saddle and I like Billy Cooks (Sulfur, OK of course). But, I was kind of curious as to why the Greenville, TX ones are bad, is it the leather, tree, quality, etc, etc? I have always been told if your going for Billy Cook buy Sulfur, OK not Greenville, TX and I have followed that, so what makes them bad?

Edited by dudelover4eva, 20 February 2010 - 01:36 PM.

#2 GlowingTrickPony

GlowingTrickPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:39 PM

that is odd. questionicon.gif ...you'd think they be the same. ha? never herd that...could it be more the Year more than the location> Like my 03 Circle Y is suppose to be more valuable than a newer one...even thought they are made at the same place! questionicon.gif

Edited by honeysmom, 20 February 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#3 dudelover4eva

dudelover4eva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:19 PM

Well, I've heard that the greenville ones are like phony (sp?) or something along those lines, but I was wondering more about the quality.

Edit: Oh and about the circle y's, I would pay more for a 2000 than I would the newer ones, I personally like the way they are built and we have two that are 2003-2005 (year) and they are better built than today's, IMO. We paid $1200 for the fqhb and $1000 for the semi.

Edited by dudelover4eva, 20 February 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#4 ohNine

ohNine

Cowgirls don't cry...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

I have owned/used both Greenville, TX Billy Cooks and Sulphur, OK Billy Cooks and the difference is negligible(sp?).

Really, for the price, both are good saddles, it just depends on which you prefer. I'm pretty sure that neither type is hand made anymore, both are made on a production line and the quality is fairly similar, IMO.

I have a Billy Cook Feather Racer made in Greenville, TX that I have been trying to sell for months. It's nearly new and fairly priced for the condition, but as soon as I send pics and people see that it's a Greenville BC they say "Oh, nevermind.". It's really frusterating when I know that it's a quality saddle, but nobody wants to take a look at it because of things they've heard. I guess that would be the only downfall, they're difficult to resell due to all the bad things said about them.

If you found a Greenville BC though, and it fit you and your horse, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, because they really are decent saddles.

Good luck!
...Boots are made for sawdust floors, stirrups on a quarter horse. To kick yourself when you've been a fool, climbin' up on bar stools. Two steppin' under neon lights, ain't too bad in a bar room fight. For kickin' off when you're tired and sore, that's what boots are for...

#5 letmeRUN

letmeRUN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

Without intending to sound racist as my mother and many other very dear relatives are hispanic, the rumors about Greenville, TX saddles are refering to the notion that they are assembled by illegals coming into the US via its southern borders. In my area, "Mexican-made" saddles are considered inferior regardless of thier actual quality. I do know that the Billy Cook factory in Sulfur was invaded by immigration officials within the last few years. It makes no difference, Billy Cook saddles continue to be produced in great numbers. I used to work in a saddle shop where I took apart, cleaned, oiled, and repaired many saddles, and I believe that the quality of Billy Cook saddles is lesser in newer models than that of the older ones; however, such is true in all things as mass production has diminished the care and attention it takes to produce a quality product. I still believe that Billy Cook saddles hold up very well when compared to other saddles produced in assembly lines. If you want a good saddle, get a Billy Cook; if you want a great saddle, have one hand-made by a reputable craftsman.

#6 dudelover4eva

dudelover4eva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for clearing that up! I didn't think there was a huge difference in them anyway, but I had always been told to never even consider them. I found it harder and harder to find a barrel saddle in FQHB and if I can find a good one I dont want to pass it up.

#7 vsnider

vsnider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (dudelover4eva @ Feb 20 2010, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in the process of looking for a new barrel saddle and I like Billy Cooks (Sulfur, OK of course). But, I was kind of curious as to why the Greenville, TX ones are bad, is it the leather, tree, quality, etc, etc? I have always been told if your going for Billy Cook buy Sulfur, OK not Greenville, TX and I have followed that, so what makes them bad?

the ones in greenville actually bought out the name of billy cook a long time ago, if you notice the sulpher oklahoma ones say billy cook maker on them. Personally I prefer the ones made in greenville texas to the others. Everybody has their likes and dislikes on saddles, you find one that you like and you buy it.

#8 Racing07

Racing07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

Back in the day I think there was a bigger difference in quality between the Sulphur Cooks and the Greenville Cooks, however I think the difference is getting smaller with the newer saddles. I have notice that the Sulphur Cooks hold their resale value better (which is one reason people are more interested in them). Otherwise the only difference is that the Sulphur Cooks are full bars, while the Greenvilles are semi.

I have ridden in both, and prefer the Sulphur saddles.
Practice does NOT make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect.

The more people I meet, the more I like my dog. ~Unknown~

#9 dudelover4eva

dudelover4eva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thanks guys! That's really helpful, I was worried the greenville's would hurt the horses or something by the way some people hate them. lol.

#10 jackie2925

jackie2925

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

Long ago Billy Cook was in Texas, he sold his saddle business and his name to Simco Saddles.

He moved to Sulpher and years later started his business again. So the Sulpher OK ones are made/designed by the real Billy Cook and the others are made by Simco Saddlery. So you need to check out the quality of Simco Saddlery since thats who makes them.

I have owned both and the Sulpher ones hold their value alot better. I currently have a Billy Cook Sulpher OK ranch saddle and I paid $1200 new for it. But I know I could turn right around and get the same if not a little more out of it.

I personnally have never heard the story of hispanics making them which is why people don't like them. I dont' think thats the case as I think Billy Cook himself used illegal immigrants in his saddle making business.....maybe not but I thought thats what I remember reading online.

Edited by jackie2925, 23 February 2010 - 08:22 PM.

Horseless

#11 Hoof-N-It

Hoof-N-It

• Members
  • Pip
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

Yes, Billy Cook was origonally in Texas. He also sold his saddle design along with the business, and supposedly his workers worked for the new company also. So the older greenville,tx saddles were the same as the origonals. Now though i believe they are the stamped out version. But still better quality than some of the mass produced ones, although they don't fit my horses. Than after however many years, Billy Cook was allowed to produce his saddles under his name again, where he makes them now is Sulfer, OK
I'm so confused...wait, mabye not!

#12 dudelover4eva

dudelover4eva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

Thanks, I can't really aford a really expensive saddle right now, but I need one so I figured it would be better to get a little better quality saddle for about the same price used as one of the crappier ones new. So I guess it would be safe to say Billy Cook's (TX and OK) would be fine.

#13 GlowingTrickPony

GlowingTrickPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

well on the up side I'm glad my(custom) 03 Circle Y(reiner) is appreciating!!! good in this market! yay.gif and I might add that my BFF rode it and said it rides like her(trophy) Billy Cook!(reiner)so there ya go!! options!!! huggy.gif

#14 Hoof-N-It

Hoof-N-It

• Members
  • Pip
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (dudelover4eva @ Feb 25 2010, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, I can't really aford a really expensive saddle right now, but I need one so I figured it would be better to get a little better quality saddle for about the same price used as one of the crappier ones new. So I guess it would be safe to say Billy Cook's (TX and OK) would be fine.

I here ya there...I could never afford a new saddle of good quality. The last 3 saddles i got were off e-bay. Got great deals on really expensive used saddles. One was a BC sulfer,OK and recent one is a Jim taylor roping saddle. Either would i ever be able to purchase new, but both very affordable used. :-)
I'm so confused...wait, mabye not!

#15 vsnider

vsnider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

personally, I never even look at a billy cook from sulpher, I think they are cheaply made. A lot of people like them.

#16 RiskyBusiness

RiskyBusiness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

I have a Billy Cook from Sulphur, & I absolutely LOVE it. I actually bougt it used about a year ago because I needed another saddle. It fits most of the horses I ride, & it's super comfortable to ride in.

Here's a couple pictures of it being modeled ;)

^^ Tess when I first got it a year ago.

^^ Brown about a month ago in it, & he's only 4 o.0

^^ Hammerhead a days few ago, just because he looks so cute ;)

But overall, I really like the fit & style of Billy Cook's Sulphur saddles :)

Edited by RiskyBusiness, 08 March 2010 - 10:04 AM.

#17 dudelover4eva

dudelover4eva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

I always liked the look and price of them, and just last year I met a new friend at a show and that is all she had.
RiskyBusiness, I like your saddle, and your horses are adorable!

#18 Zeusyboy

Zeusyboy

Life Is Better At A Gallop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE (vsnider @ Mar 6 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
personally, I never even look at a billy cook from sulpher, I think they are cheaply made. A lot of people like them.

What is it about them that you think makes them "cheaply made"???

This is my Billy Cook (Sulphur) Barrel Saddle.

Excuse his chubbyness. He's basically turned into a pasture puff the last year or so. I REALLY Need to start riding more. But that's the saddle ON him. Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

LOVE IT. It is the most comfortable i've sat in, and it fits my high withered TB. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE This Saddle.

ASHLEY
Theres no such thing as PEOPLE with HORSE issues, Just HORSES with PEOPLE issues. - Buck Brannaman
Even though you've been Bucked, Kicked Bit and Stomped... Never Give Up....
Silly Boys..Trucks Are For Girls
I Haven't Got A Pot To Pee In, Or Even A Window To Throw It Out Of..
I FINALLY Met A Board Buddy - Mudder, Taglet, Barnboss

#19 BornConfused

BornConfused

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,092 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

Billy Cook saddles are not cheaply made. rolleye0014.gif

They are one of the most popular saddles out there and for the money you spend you are definitely getting a quality product.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.

#20 dudelover4eva

dudelover4eva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Zeusyboy @ Mar 12 2010, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is it about them that you think makes them "cheaply made"???

This is my Billy Cook (Sulphur) Barrel Saddle.

Excuse his chubbyness. He's basically turned into a pasture puff the last year or so. I REALLY Need to start riding more. But that's the saddle ON him. Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

LOVE IT. It is the most comfortable i've sat in, and it fits my high withered TB. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE This Saddle.

Drool! lol! I have to say that does not look cheaply made! haha!

#21 Zeusyboy

Zeusyboy

Life Is Better At A Gallop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (dudelover4eva @ Mar 12 2010, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Drool! lol! I have to say that does not look cheaply made! haha!

Haha, thanks. I was lucky to get that saddle in the first place. My dad bought it for himself for a STEAL.. (I think he paid 500 bucks for it) because the folks needed some cash. Brand new. He didn't have any money last year for my birthday, so we were messing around with it, and he said Happy Birthday. grin.gif That saddle stays at home, covered on a stand in my bedroom. I drug it out that day because I wanted to actually USE it for once... LOL.

Born Confused, I have to agree with you. I've never heard anything but good things about Cook saddles, and having one myself I have to agree with them. I LOVE mine.
ASHLEY
Theres no such thing as PEOPLE with HORSE issues, Just HORSES with PEOPLE issues. - Buck Brannaman
Even though you've been Bucked, Kicked Bit and Stomped... Never Give Up....
Silly Boys..Trucks Are For Girls
I Haven't Got A Pot To Pee In, Or Even A Window To Throw It Out Of..
I FINALLY Met A Board Buddy - Mudder, Taglet, Barnboss