Quantcast

Photo

Saddle Fit From Stock Horse To Gaited Horse.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,385 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

As I age I think about going gaited, I was wondering if I would need to buy new saddle to fit most gaited horses, compared to a quarter horse. Missouri Fox Trotters have got my attention as to having a comparable build to quarter horse. But I don't want just zero in one one breed of gaited horses, as I want to have a open mind. I'm in no hurry to do anything right now, as both quarter geldings I have serve me well. But I like to plan ahead if I can. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks PD

#2 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

a lot of gaited horses can fit a majority of stock saddles.. the key is the same with non gaited horses, placement, and fit of course, with a gatied horse you will often find the saddle sitting a hair further back than your stock horse, the biggest thing I find hard for My boy, he is rather mutton withered, is to find a saddle with a wide enough tree for him.. I found 2 work great, my aussie, and my new cutback saddle.. My friend with 2 fox trotters has 2 regular western saddles, one of her girls has a high very narrow wither, and the other has a low wide wither, she uses regular saddles and they fit fine.

I have tried to find a western to fit both me and daniel, i guess western just isnt my thing. but i dont think you will find much problem, just make sure to first set the saddle on the horse without the pad, and do not fasten it on, you want to beable to run your fingers under the saddle to find where it connects, if it has a smooth connestion front to back with no gaps or pressure points, then put it on with the pad and ride a bit, when youg et off if there is an even sweat pattern your great.. if not, well, next saddle. if your looking to find a horse who fits your saddle, just take it with you at the horse interview, as long as the horse is what your wanting in mind and physical ability, dont think there is an issue..

Good luck, but no I dont think generally there is a need for any special saddles.. and in my experience, not all "Gaited" saddles fit the horse it is designed for.. ran into that as wel

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#3 meekie

meekie

Trailrider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hi PD! I have an older Simco western saddle that fits my Walking horses but it is a regular bars not the full quarter horse bars. The other saddle I use is a Tucker High Plains and it to has the regular bars and fits my narrow high withered Walking horse "Walker" very well. It will depend on the indiviaul horse but from all I've read it seems that most gaited horses are a bit narrow than most quarter horses. You will like going gaited ..... I love it!

HAPPY TRAILS............Debby
"My Boys" Tennessee Walking Horses
Walker Joe (Walker) Blue Chip Dream (Blue) Major Heartbreak (Major/Abe)

#4 Stars_Morab

Stars_Morab

I come from the land of ice and snow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,944 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

Agreed. I have an older roper that fits just about all my horses, gaited or not, except my narrow Standardbred. He has sky high withers though.

Just fit the horse. Don't worry about getting some gimicky special gaited saddle.

~stars
Posted Image

Naughty By Review on Facebook

Board Buddies I've met:Lopen28, Justcowin, Serendell, PASOLOVER, pelirrojaloca, RedneckcowgirlMN, Equi_librium, CJF Farrier, spanishwalkinwannabe,have I met you yet?
OH so proud member of the "Crap On a Cracker My Luck Sucks!" club

#5 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,385 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for all your imput. Going gaited might be a pipe dream for me, I'm a great window shopper, but hate to part with my money. {I'm Cheap} We'll see what the future holds, right now my quater gerlding are doing well by me. Thanks & Best Wishes. PD

#6 Stars_Morab

Stars_Morab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,944 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hey PD. If you ever want to try out gaited. I have a mountain horse you can give a go at.

Where in WI are you?

~stars
Posted Image

Board Buddies I've met:Lopen28, Justcowin, Serendell, PASOLOVER, pelirrojaloca, RedneckcowgirlMN, Equi_librium, CJF Farrier, spanishwalkinwannabe,have I met you yet?

#7 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,385 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (Stars_Morab @ Feb 25 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey PD. If you ever want to try out gaited. I have a mountain horse you can give a go at.

Where in WI are you?

~stars

Stars,

I'm 30 miles north-east of EauClaire WI. or about 120 miles from the twin cities. If memory serves me correct, you have a Kentucky Mountain mare. We have some that are raised in our area, I don't know how much they are promoted in this area. I'b be interrsted in trying one & gracious of you to offer. Best Wishes.PD

#8 Stars_Morab

Stars_Morab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,944 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

I've ridden pasos, walkers, single footers, and I LOVE my mountain horse mare. Nothing like her thats for sure. Perhaps this summer we can do a board buddy meet up ride and I'll bring her for you to try.

~stars
Posted Image

#9 Zakima

Zakima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

You need to watch shoulder clearence as well. The gaited horse tend to have larger shoulders and some styles will restrict movement and cause discomfort.

I have a Fox Trotter and love him. He is a "rock star" on the trails. He is built like a quarter and needs a full quarter tree - he is the pinto in my signature. He has a very wide of wither too. I've gone with the Specialized Saddles western model - so far so good. This works much better than the gaited saddle I used to ride in.

If you do go gaited, try as many of the breeds as you can. Each moves a little different. All are fun to ride. The MFT was way down on my list until I rode one, then they passed the TWH, Rockys, & Pasos for me. Its all about personal taste. As you know...we ALL own the best breed LOL.
Liz

I Met A Board Buddy: Zmecky, Horsinaround, Crazy Trail Adventurer, xcanchaserchicx, Big Heart, Siseley & Mrs. Siseley & JPParadiseRanch

Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Lijahlou

#10 Zakima

Zakima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

You need to watch shoulder clearence as well. The gaited horse tend to have larger shoulders and some styles will restrict movement and cause discomfort.

I have a Fox Trotter and love him. He is a "rock star" on the trails. He is built like a quarter and needs a full quarter tree - he is the pinto in my signature. He has a very wide of wither too. I've gone with the Specialized Saddles western model - so far so good. This works much better than the gaited saddle I used to ride in.

If you do go gaited, try as many of the breeds as you can. Each moves a little different. All are fun to ride. The MFT was way down on my list until I rode one, then they passed the TWH, Rockys, & Pasos for me. Its all about personal taste. As you know...we ALL own the best breed LOL.
Liz

I Met A Board Buddy: Zmecky, Horsinaround, Crazy Trail Adventurer, xcanchaserchicx, Big Heart, Siseley & Mrs. Siseley & JPParadiseRanch

Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Lijahlou

#11 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,385 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

Zakima,

Thanks for your imput, all information is appreciated. The MFTs have caught my eye for their comparable build to a quarter horse. Again Thanks. PD

#12 UtahTrailRider

UtahTrailRider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

I use the same custom saddle I had built years ago for my APHA. It works just fine on my MFT. Just like any saddle, make sure it fits that horse. But gaited horses are not that much different from any other breed. Yes they have a little more shoulder movement. So just make sure the bars fit the back and the shoulder is free to move.

And lots of my friends who have converted to Foxtrotters still use their western saddles. No problems

Edited by UtahTrailRider, 19 March 2010 - 11:35 PM.

The best trail is always the next trail

#13 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,385 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

UTR,

Thanks for info on saddle fit on MFTs, I forgot to ask you sooner. Best Wishes. PD