#91 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

Once you go western, you'll never go back

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Kina Kat @ Feb 24 2010, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was a different poster than the one who started the thread (who purportedly is concerned with the horses).

I know, but I suspect the OP of the same attitude.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#92 Reiner0227

Reiner0227

I'm a Hippy Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

Oh yes, yes I looked back at some old pictures. And I think the OP is right. What was I thinking allowing my horses to be crippled by my obeseiveness.

Like this mare was barely 900 lbs AFTER a good meal, that must have been torture.

Oh look, this horse was forced to go slow and her head dragged from carrying my fat butt around after an hour.

This mare even had to GASP run barrels with me.

Oh and sometimes I even made my 30 year old gelding tote me around in the snow! shocked.gif

In all seriousness. My BMI has always said that I was severely overweight, even though in all these pictures I am between a 6 and a 10. And I do weigh more than people usually think, because I carry a lot of muscle. I have ridden fairly small horses, and done a lot of high intensity riding. And I don't think it was bad, or hurt them, nor should I have ever needed to stop riding them.

Also, I have always had to wear bigger shirts. Because I have a HUGE ribcage, even being thin (athletic thin, not skinny thin), I still easily wore a large or XL.

And just for proof that my horses could still perform through my high weight.

Edited by Reiner0227, 24 February 2010 - 03:16 PM.

Posted Image

#93 robrob

robrob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

WOW!!!!!!! twitch.gif

halo love that grey nsh. gotta love the strength of those arabians or 1/2.

andi what a stocky boy. he doesn't know your even there by the way.

kitten kat love that daniel boy. he is handsome and love that high headedness, I like high headed horses that travel that way, that way if you go under trees the horses eyes are about the same as your and he is looking out for his head he ends up looking for yours too. lol. and he is pretty color too. by the way you look very fine up there, not overloaded at all and danail looks like he is quite happy, he doesn't know your overweight does he? crazy.gif

mudder you make a good point when I used to ride alot my favorite gait was slow rack, walk and maybe a littel trot and cantering only up hills. being overweight I am more conscious to keep myself still and very relaxed.

duns your jr is a very handsome stocky boy, I am not into quarter horses (down hill and all) but I like him.

and lets not forget something we all seem to forget, many men are much heavier then woman of the same build yet no one says anything to them about weight. being fat is more noticable in woman I guess.

I have to take offense, I guess that is the word, at the presumption that overweight people are unaware of their weight (after all are constantly reminded of it by the world)or are not trying to do anything about it. just because the so called cure for obesity is not working doens't mean the patient is not applyng or taking their medicine properly. many research papers I have reviewed when the predictions dont jive with the results will try and find fault with the research subjects rather then with the theory or idea they are researching. they underestimated their intake, they didn't exercise like they were supposed to or whatever.

the cure/ treatment prescription may be wrong, has anyone ever considered that? researchers are coming up all the time saying obesity is a physical problem not a moral or psychological one. it is not about lack of exercise or whatnot. it is not about lack of self control or lack of will. after all the diet industry is a 40+ billion dollar industry. and ti is growing. diet books, exercise equipment, weight watcher groups, portion controlled foods, supplements exercise regimens and yet americans are fatter than ever.

I am not going into my story, because it matters not to some people regardless of the evidence they will stick to the old school of thinking. if the cancer cure is not working it is because the patient is not following protocol, or trying hard enough to fight the cancer, if the patient can't get their blood pressure down naturally they are not trying hard enough or whatever. if the patient can't cure themselves of some problem it is the patients fault. yet no one ever advocates such thinking of most health problems except obesity.

telling a fat person to eat less food is like telling someone to breath less or drink less water or sleep less. if your o2 setpoint is a certain amount any attempt to go below that leads to o2 debt that has to be made up or you die. if your setpoint for sleep is higher than you get you will suffer sleep debt that has to be met. if a weight setpoint has risen to a certain level then telling someone to create a hunger debt in order to lose weight can only mean extreme suffering and eventual replacing those caloires from the hunger debt. what happens if that hunger debt is never recapped? you die. anorexics ring a bell? or concentration camp barly survivors ring a bell? they built up such a hunger debt you can better believe they got fat during their make up eating and if they didn't do their make up eating they died even tho they were eating something.

as soon as the medical researchers can forget their preconceived ideas and start working for real solutions obesity will never be cured. if they let these preconceived ideas go then they will be open minded to look elsewhere to the way to get the brain to lower weight set point after all setpoints are set as theya re for survival purposes. this setpoint includes all our body functions, being fat is just more noticable then these other survival mechnisms.

and as for ideas of what looks overweight I have seen videos on youtube where skinny girls were saying yea I know I am to fat for this horse but just critque my riding or this is my first riding lesson or whatever.; and I think you are not fat overweight, your psychologically sick if you think you are. so what is overweight is also relative to based on the warped thinking of some people. shocked.gif

and this idea of not making clothes for obese discourages obese from doing soemthing about is is the stupidest idea I ever heard of. so it is about makeing the patient fit the medicine rather than the medicine fitting the patient?oh by the way the drive to eat is as strong as the drive to breath or sleep you can restrict for a while but sooner or later that drive will win out. instead of harping on people to eat less/exercise more maybe be people just need to leave fat people alone and love them regardless of their size and stop using the excuse I love you tht is why I nag you about weight. nagging is never loving and esepcially on a problem you know nothing about. and the tv is the last place I would look for info on health issues. tv doesn't educate they indoctrinate.

RRR

#94 Alaskandraft

Alaskandraft

Let it snow!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

EXACTLY. Ignorance is an ugly thing, isn't it?

Ignorance being the lack of knowledge I would have to add Immature as well. It takes a lifetime to realize that all people are different and have feelings too.

My so called "healthy weight" sisters all have health problems ...My older and youngest sister have MS and will die young. One of these sisters also has high cholesterol. My sister younger than Me(I'm the second ,she is the third) one has had both hips replaced and she only 49 years old/5"2"/ 125 LBS. I guess having the "pony" metabolism in the family is a good thing. At least all the so called "fat" people in my family stayed healthy into their 90's...Yupers the same ones that ate everything fired in rancid bacon grease that was stored in coffee cans on the counter top....

A persons health is what they make it..Starving yourself to keep yourself thin is just as bad as eating too much. YOu can throw your body into a tailspin of missing minerals and meals and make yourself just as diabetic as someone fat. Inducing your body with chemicals by eating diet foods all the time..Have you ever looked at the labels??? Eat your margerine and induce your body with plastics instead of eating natural butter and see how your body does with all that plaque build up. I know what makes me fat and its not food little one..is whole grain Beverage (BEER) and White Belgian chocolate and Macadamium nut creamer and sugar (natural brown) in my gallon of coffee I consume everyday. One to get me going in the morning and one to simmer me down....

AD

b575c2b0-fc46-4324-b0e9-28cf032b9558_zps

Home of :

The horses/Deborah K Farcuer, Bonita Angelica, JJ Tuff Butt, Snows Miss Nooks, Pleasantly Pefect, Zephyr and Airee

The Dogs/ Indigo, CoCo, Max and Minnie   The Cats/ Tynee Kitty, Mockie, Powder & Spook  The Pigs/ KC and LAY C Masterpiece

#95 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

robrob thankyou, he is an awesoem fella..

I agree about high headed horses.. Daniel can go and does go level headed occasionally, but he really likes to have a good look around very alert.. My friend who rode him once said he couldnt get used to the high headed aspect.. yet I look at horses below the horizontal, and I wonder what is wrong and why they look so depressed.

I have to agree to the differences of gaited back to non gaited back a friend has an arab/quarter mare, and her whole topline is sooo very different from daniel, I keep thinking i am being pushed into her withers.. it is wierd.. but I tell you what, Daniel is the MOST comfortable horse to ride without a saddle.. I love it.

I got lucky on color, it was not intended.. I love black point horses, usually bays, but he just stuck out. seemed like he needed someone, didnt realize how much I really needed him.

Edited by kitten-kat, 24 February 2010 - 03:38 PM.

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#96 saddle_bum

saddle_bum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

I'm not an idiot. I realize each indivudual has a different body which reacts and performs differently. But why can't I be concerned about society's health? I'm not getting in to anyone's personal buisness. I'm simply saying that I'm concerned for society. I never laid down my beliefs about who should or should not ride a horse. Wow.

And youíve got to be kidding me. How can anyone think that being obese is healthy for the US? And I just donít understand why Iím not allowed to care. Iím a part of this nation too and just because my view on something is different than yours does not make it wrong. Anyone is allowed to disagree with me but to tell me that Iím not allowed an opinion is not right.
And again, Iím not telling anyone they canít ride a horse. My point is different than the original post, just relates.

Edited by saddle_bum, 24 February 2010 - 03:59 PM.

Ruthie
fufu_berry_soda@hotmail.com
Celebrate the Morgan Horse. The Pride and Product of America.

#97 bananaboyeventer

bananaboyeventer

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (exes blue eyed devil @ Feb 23 2010, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually I have read your other posts BBE and you seem very cool.

I dont mean to dump on H/J its just I have heard this arguement before, but only ever from h/j people, the obsession with appearance some have in the h/j world is just kinda funny to me, especially when it is couched in the "its bad for the horse" arguement - hence my "jumping crippled horses is bad for them" counter-arguement. Just as absurd and generalizing! winking0073.gif

Why thank you! ashamed0002.gif I'll admit, some people have that attitude, especially in a sport that's so saturated with younger, style-oriented riders. Looking good is a big deal in H/J. Your tack, clothes, horse, and yourself. Personally, I've known some larger H/J riders that looked really sharp in the ring, because they dressed well in clothes that fit them and they rode well.

With the exception of the barn I'm at now, one of the coolest, most down to earth trainers/barns I rode in was the western barn at my previous college under a well known AQHA trainer. Considering the stereotypes, it amazed me how totally different it was. It was definitely different from the H/J barn, where some of the riders can be really vindictive and catty. Any reason to dig on someone, from their riding to their size. But in the western barn, nobody was talking about all the new exercises and plans they were going on. Everyone from the girls showing at Congress to the new people were so nice, and I could show up for lessons in my jeans and old boots and not get weird looks! yay.gif

#98 t_air_e

t_air_e

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

I'm one of those skinny riders that ya'all could ride circles around and I'll admit it!

I had a friend while I was in school that was on the larger scale of body types. When we were young (5th/6th grade) I couldn't figure out why someone would want to be that large and why she wouldn't do anything about it. It totally baffled me. As I got older I began to see things a bit differently, she played sports (volleyball, basketball and softball) and was probably in a lot better shape than I was. Since then I've met people who are larger than me (some who ride, some who don't) that I know are in better shape than me. I mean, I haven't ridden on a regular basis since spring 2007. That's a lot of time out of the saddle and a lot of muscles that have since turned to mush.

You guys who are moving hay, you're my hero. My uncle, who we always bought hay off of, liked to bale his in 75lb bales. I could roll them to the edge of the wagon for my dad and brother to move, but that was about it. It really makes you feel pretty useless when you try with all your might to move a bale and you can barely get it a few inches off the ground.

Being small isn't all that great either. I mean, if I had to tack up an average size horse (15 +) with something like a reining saddle, i couldn't do it. Not only that, I feel that my hind-end has less padding for riding bareback. I can't image that's comfy for my horse either.

There is just so much more to life than the numbers on a scale or the size marked on a piece of cloth.
"Don't be afraid of making a mistake with your horse. We all do. An we're all forgiven. The biggest mistake is to succeed at doing nothing." John Lyons

#99 bananaboyeventer

bananaboyeventer

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

I also wanted to add, one of my favorite WP horses from college LOVED having a bigger rider. Trainer thinks he liked having the extra 'feel' with having someone who had a naturally heavier seat. I heard all sorts of stories about what a fire-breathing dragon he could be, but he was always wonderful for fat ol' me flirt.gif

#100 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (saddle_bum @ Feb 24 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not an idiot. I realize each indivudual has a different body which reacts and performs differently. But why can't I be concerned about society's health? I'm not getting in to anyone's personal buisness. I'm simply saying that I'm concerned for society. I never laid down my beliefs about who should or should not ride a horse. Wow.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Seems to me like every obese person has a good reason for being fat and God forbid they're ever called out on the issue by people who are only interested in socety being healthy. And now this minority is small minded? Lol, oh please.

Yes, there is an epidemic of obesity in this country. Your "concern" for society's health is underwhelming to the point of being nonexistent. At least as you've voiced it here.

There ARE people in this world who are their own worst enemy when it comes to their weight, people whose crappy eating habits caused them to be obese. I hate that. I think it's reprehensible to do that to yourself. But then, I'M not the one with the mental and emotional issues that often lead to that end. To judge everyone HERE as if they are "just fat and lazy" is narrow minded. Both of your posts reflect that.

Bumper

Founding member of GOATS: Guardian Of All Things Stray!

Jasper's #1 Fan!

Visit My Website, Harvest Kennels, Field Bred Springer Spaniels

#101 saddle_bum

saddle_bum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

So now I'm an idiot because I care about something someone else doesn't care about?

And that's just it. I'm not judging everyone here. I've said nothing about anyone. What I have said does initial the lazy ones. What I've said doesn't correspond to active people.

Edited by saddle_bum, 24 February 2010 - 04:03 PM.

Ruthie

#102 t_air_e

t_air_e

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (saddle_bum @ Feb 24 2010, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And youíve got to be kidding me. How can anyone think that being obese is healthy for the US? And I just donít understand why Iím not allowed to care. Iím a part of this nation too and just because my view on something is different than yours does not make it wrong. Anyone is allowed to disagree with me but to tell me that Iím not allowed an opinion is not right.
And again, Iím not telling anyone they canít ride a horse. My point is different than the original post, just relates.

I think being underweight is just as dangerous as being overweight. It's none of your business if I weigh 90# or 200#, but if you're going to insist on sticking your nose into it, stop discrimination against just one group. Just because us Americans seem to think stick thin is healthy or right, doesn't mean it is.
"Don't be afraid of making a mistake with your horse. We all do. An we're all forgiven. The biggest mistake is to succeed at doing nothing." John Lyons

#103 saddle_bum

saddle_bum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

I'm not defending underweight people. I'm defending what is healthy. And if being obese is what is right for your body then fine. That's not something I was ever arguing about.

Edited by saddle_bum, 24 February 2010 - 04:08 PM.

Ruthie

#104 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Kina Kat @ Feb 24 2010, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was offended, but that's neither here nor there. My comment on you having a bad day was based on your reactions to to Cowgirlup1983. "Your argument is crap" and "Oh for eff's sake" are not typical of you. I was surprised. confused0024.gif

Well, you know me too well and you're right. I was actually having a bit of a frustrating day. So it was even more frustrating to have my words twisted around when I think I quite concisely and precisely said that it's not just about weight.

I don't like the idea of people being told they can't/shouldn't ride because of X...where X represents ONE FACTOR. There are so many ways to work around things.

A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#105 Stars_Morab

Stars_Morab

I come from the land of ice and snow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,944 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Someone better tell Shawn Flarida to stop riding and training those little reiners! He's hurting them! crazy.gif rotf.gif

~stars
Posted Image

Naughty By Review on Facebook

Board Buddies I've met:Lopen28, Justcowin, Serendell, PASOLOVER, pelirrojaloca, RedneckcowgirlMN, Equi_librium, CJF Farrier, spanishwalkinwannabe,have I met you yet?
OH so proud member of the "Crap On a Cracker My Luck Sucks!" club

#106 Reiner0227

Reiner0227

I'm a Hippy Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

I doubt Shawn rides a whole lot of 2 year olds. He might but I bet thats probably reserved for his assistants. And in Shawns defense, he looks like he has lost quite a bit of weight recently. But yeah, he still is a big guy and rides a lot of little, young horses and does a great job of it.
Posted Image

#107 Stars_Morab

Stars_Morab

I come from the land of ice and snow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,944 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (Reiner0227 @ Feb 24 2010, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I doubt Shawn rides a whole lot of 2 year olds. He might but I bet thats probably reserved for his assistants. And in Shawns defense, he looks like he has lost quite a bit of weight recently. But yeah, he still is a big guy and rides a lot of little, young horses and does a great job of it.

Well the majority or reiners around here ARE small horses. Most 14-15 hands and refined in frame. Young or not. They tend to be smaller horses. I don't think age was mentioned anywhere in my post refering to him.

I'm sorry you didn't catch the sarcasm asscoiated with my previous post.

~stars
Posted Image

Naughty By Review on Facebook

Board Buddies I've met:Lopen28, Justcowin, Serendell, PASOLOVER, pelirrojaloca, RedneckcowgirlMN, Equi_librium, CJF Farrier, spanishwalkinwannabe,have I met you yet?
OH so proud member of the "Crap On a Cracker My Luck Sucks!" club

#108 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (BuddyRoo @ Feb 24 2010, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you know me too well and you're right. I was actually having a bit of a frustrating day.
Ah ha! winking0073.gif

I hope things picked up for you. (Was the dressage lesson fun?)

#109 Reiner0227

Reiner0227

I'm a Hippy Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Stars_Morab @ Feb 24 2010, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the majority or reiners around here ARE small horses. Most 14-15 hands and refined in frame. Young or not. They tend to be smaller horses. I don't think age was mentioned anywhere in my post refering to him.

I'm sorry you didn't catch the sarcasm asscoiated with my previous post.

~stars

I did catch the sarcasm in your post. But I didn't want non reiners to not catch that sarcasm. I know very well that reiners tend to be little.
Posted Image

#110 HippieCowGirl

HippieCowGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:41 PM

There is a lot of hipocracy in this thread, that is for sure! The 'fat gals' are mad that the 'skinny gals' judge them...yet in this very thread those same 'fat gals' are making fun of 'skinny' riders, and their so called lack of ability. It is obvious that this is a matter of opinion rather than a matter of fact.
I have seen plenty of average sized riders look poorly balanced while riding, but that is not necessarily related to their weight. In turn, I have seen plenty of plus size (for lack of a better p.c. term) horse persons who refuse to use a mounting block while mounting, and have little to no respect for their equine counterpart. It is all relevant.

Op is a child. It is obvious. Perhaps what OP should do is help encourage her unbalanced collegues to become better riders rather than wasting her time Windexing her mirrors.

For those that have 'NO TIME" to exercise, or "past injuries, pregnancy, depression)... if you really want it, you can make it happen. For instance, I have Multiple Sclerosis. I am not over weight, infact I am in fantastic shape ( bikini pics to be included later twitch.gif ) I do however struggle with balance. My left side is lucky to be half as strong as my right. Sometimes I can't put a saddle on my horse because I am too weak... But, I still find the time and will power to exercise. Not for my horse, not for my family...for myself. I cannot run. I can't go up stairs easily, and at times I loose my vision. My suggestion to ANYONE trying to get a good grip on your body...YOGA. I started at 3 times a week for 30 mins...that is only 1 1/2 hours a week! Now, I am so addicted I will do it 2 times a day EVERY DAY!! Because I want to. LADIES....get this!!! (and guys lol) I do it WITH and ON my horses too!!!!

I am different than OP though... I would like to encourage everyone...not discourage. huggy.gif

#111 Ann Wheeler

Ann Wheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,863 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

can't help it...l like food.. without it I would starve.... If I could afford it, i would go on the subway sandwich diet.

seriously i do excercise, maintain my wieght... walking in foot snow 500 yards to the barn and back three timesday sure can tax person out, mucking stalls carrying water by pails...breaking ice.
plusi d o floor excercises, stretching. plus house work...climb stairs regualry everyday..
walking a big puppy , full of energy....

Edited by Ann Wheeler, 24 February 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#112 redneckcowgirl

redneckcowgirl

Fecal Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

I'm not depressed. Quite amused, actually. The Doc reference I made above was for stress... now THAT I am under, & since it's illegal to blow the heads off the reasons that I am stressed out... I'll take my pony fix. crazy.gif It's more fun than jail, I hear.

#113 robrob

robrob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

not everyone who is obese eats crappy diets.; that is a presumptions which lacks validity. when I visit fast food resturants, which I used to when with friends who like that junk I don't however eat that crap ever, unless I am dying of starvation. anyway most of the people there are thin.

I have only seen a handful of fat people eating there. my friends that I used to spend alot of time with visit these places regularly and they are all thin, and the few that are fat seldom eat that stuff we just wait on those that do. after all they are driving and I can't just walk home.

my husband eats worse them me (tho it is better than it used to be when first married) and yet is thin. he drinks coke, ates cookies in abundance and hardly touches so called healthy foods except some fruit and veggies. his diet has improved somewhat since he does have to eat what I make and I want to make the healthiest tasty stuff I can. but after wards out comes the dessert. I seldom eat dessert unless it is fruit or the very best low carb choclate like 70 percent cocoa and only a couple of bites. you really can't eat any more than that since the cocoa is a bit bitter.

so there is a presumption that thin people are healthier because they are thin and they eat right and healthy most of the time and that obese do not. otherwise why are they fat? so the presumptions continue and so does the prejudices that go with it. to bad. bang_head.gif

also watch out for the propaganda on the tv about obesity epidemic costing such and such, these figures have no validity, most people I know (tho it may apply elsewhere) pay their own way. they do not get welfare or any other benefit from the gov to pay for their health care because of their fatness. many times these figures are pumped up to get a reaction from the public. thud.gif

they spin info for their benefit of the corporations that pay them to air them, so get every one wiled up about some issue and thus get consent to take more money from people to put into the pockets of the corporations under the pretext of solving a problem, they have even been caught in making up crisis that didn't even exist to get some agenda passed in congress. so don't rely on tv for you news they lie. it is that simple. they give only the info needed to deceive people into believing in things that aren't true. do your own research, find out for yourself what is true and not. this goes for everything not just health issues. the library is a nice place to start the internet (which you have to be careful too).

RRRR

#114 nick

nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

s'cuse me? this HAS turned into a skinny v.s. fat thread based on broos response to jewls start.

i didn't read anything into broo's thread about fat v.s. skinny, rather all those factors she listed. i'd like to add good saddle fit and hoof control every six weeks and yearly dental checkups. overweight is subjective, but YOU KNOW when you are.

and if i can only add, in a politically correct way (since we seem to have to do that), people who are 5'7" or over, weighing no more than 120-140 do NOT appreciate being referred to as "skinny little things". you have to work at losing it, we have to keep at keeping it. labelling it's hurtful, and that's the truth. guess we're all in the same boat.
nick

#115 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

And that's the truth, Nick. It's always something I suppose...but it's still something!
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#116 HippieCowGirl

HippieCowGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

Personally, I think Blondes look better on a horse!!! But brunettes ride better!!!
rotf.gif

Proudly admitting to:

5 foot 2 and 150 pounds (eeeek!)
Been told I'm built like a Brick S@it house! LOL!

#117 Bumper

Bumper

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

Absolutely true Nick and BuddyRoo. It's not about fat vs skinny. It's just as rude to be offensive about skinny people as it is to be offensive about fat people. I'm in between the two, i can't afford to offend either group.

happy0203.gif

"Fit" does not always mean skinny, just as "fat" does not always mean unfit.

For my age, health issues and body style, i'm only about 5 lbs overweight and pretty fit. Add 15 lbs and i have big issues riding in a balanced manner. Now, someone ELSE only 15 lbs overweight may not have those issues...weight distribution comes into play here, and body frame, and and and and...lots of things. When i was in high school i could bench press my weight (125lbs). When i was in my 20s, i could load and unload a pickup full of hay all by myself, no sweat.

I can only hope the OP is actually reading along here. some good (and some not so good) comments being discussed.

Bumper

Jasper's #1 Fan!

#118 equinitis

equinitis

Due to the cost of ammunition, don't expect a warning shot.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

You ride your horse and I'll ride mine. When you see my animal being injured just by my wieght, feel free to comment otherwise go ride your horse and leave me alone.

I don't believe that my weight has anything at all to do with my ability (or lack thereof) to ride. Level of fitness and type of riding are most definately related or should be, but weight has absolutely nothing to do with any of it.

There are some people that think that I should be healthier and want to limit what I can order in a restraunt. I'm 47 years young and can make my own choices, thank you very much.

This is a silly topic!
I'm 5'9 3/4" and currently weigh 140, strawberry blonde, green eyes and copious freckels. What in the world does any of that have to do with riding? Do I ride better than someone skinnier or heavier?

Ride, ride, ride!!!

#119 Bumper

Bumper

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (equinitis @ Feb 24 2010, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You ride your horse and I'll ride mine. When you see my animal being injured just by my wieght, feel free to comment otherwise go ride your horse and leave me alone.

I don't believe that my weight has anything at all to do with my ability (or lack thereof) to ride. Level of fitness and type of riding are most definately related or should be, but weight has absolutely nothing to do with any of it.

There are some people that think that I should be healthier and want to limit what I can order in a restraunt. I'm 47 years young and can make my own choices, thank you very much.

This is a silly topic!
I'm 5'9 3/4" and currently weigh 140, strawberry blonde, green eyes and copious freckels. What in the world does any of that have to do with riding? Do I ride better than someone skinnier or heavier?

It's those DAMMED freckles! Freckle faced people can't RIDE! Didn't you know that?

rotf.gif

Bumper

Jasper's #1 Fan!

#120 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

it takes EVERY singl;e muscle in the human body to ride a horse, the more we ride, the more our muscles get used.. I eat well, if not on the lgiht side, I am heavy, I cant walk far, and I cant run if i wanted, I do clean my house, which burns calories, i walk as far as I can I even work my own little 4'x20' garden, often on my own, HURTS like heck, but I do it anyway.. I am stout, not really fat, but man somedays I sure feel like i am the biggest person in the state.. and others I dont feel like anything fits cause it all falls off.. LOL

I just got mad at the gal who was riding picking on me cause of my weight, appearal, and shoes.. as well she aslo mentioned Daniels not wearing any..

I do however tend to ride with people who are much much smaller than me, some ride very well, some are still learning.. I do help them to ride better, when I can.. and I do get help occasionally when I am not riding so well..

as long as the horse ahs the ability to carry our cooky butts around and is willing and not showing excess strain, the rider fits the horse. I have seen some rather large people on some good strong stout horses doing things I can not..

everyone has their own oppinion what is right and wrong.. oppinions are like tail holes, everyone ahs them, and MOST stink to high heaven..

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif