#1 xpasocorto

xpasocorto

Paso Fino Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

Hey guys!

A month or so ago I made a post about Picaro, the fourteen year old Paso Fino stallion who was shot twice in the face and lived to tell the tale. Well, he is now looking for a new, forever home. I would LOVE to take this guy on for myself - he is kind of my dream horse, despite his challenges - but can't see any plausible way to do it at the moment. So, instead, I've committed myself to helping find him a wonderful new home. I turn to all of you to help me with this endeavor :)

Here's a video from a news story about him and his journey:

http://www.necn.com/...amp;feedID=4206

Almost two months ago, it was uncertain if Picaro was going to live. Today, he is on his way to a full recovery. As of yesterday, Feb. 23rd, he has been moved into rehab at the farm of one of the doctors on his case in Sturbridge, MA, and they are now taking applications for his adoption. There is no adoption fee - just a strong drive to find him a perfect, forever home.

I first learned of this story via Kelley Small's daughter, Katharine. I run the Paso Fino fan page on Facebook and she posted about him on there. I reposted it as a status update and kept my eye on his blog. Katharine continued to post updates on the fan page and I became more and more interested in his story. I absolutely adore Paso Finos, and the fact that this took place so close to home made me all the more willing to do what I could. Most recently, Katharine posted about looking for a new home for him, and I sent her a personal message asking her to pass my contact information to her mother, Kelley (who is featured in the video above). I have been writing back and forth with Kelley since last night, and while it's pretty much certain I can't take the horse myself, I have decided to commit myself to helping find him a wonderful, loving home.

Picaro, as stated, is a grey fourteen year old stallion - I'm guessing his height is somewhere around fourteen hands. Kelley has described him as one of the quietest stallions she's ever seen, but he IS a stallion and that should be taken into serious consideration. He is also half blind from the removal of his right eye, and he seems to be adapting well from what I can tell. I do not know his bloodlines, but Kelley has relayed to me that he is very well bred (according to the Paso Fino Horse Association; she is waiting for his papers to be sent in) and very well trained on the ground and under saddle. In the coming weeks I am going to go visit him myself in Sturbridge to get a better idea of his personality and what the coming weeks are going to bring for him and his recovery.

Picaro has been through a great deal and most certainly deserves a loving, forever home. I know most of you aren't in a place to take on this kind of responsibility, but if you could do me a huge favor and pass the word around, I'd be grateful! If you or someone you know is interested, please give them my contact information and I will put them in touch with Kelley.

Email: arains [at] student dot framingham dot edu

Thanks so much! Apologies to the FB crew who is probably seeing this twice ;D Cross posted to GHT as well!

If you want to keep up with Picaro's progress, here is his online blog:

http://picarodiary.blogspot.com/

#2 Diamond Jake

Diamond Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

I wold certainly consider it if he wasn't a stallion.
Forever in my heart, Molly, October 2006
Jake, 1997 Morab gelding
Stella, 2003 Doberman

#3 xpasocorto

xpasocorto

Paso Fino Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, I believe that's what stopping most people. He can be gelded at a later date but after all he's been through, he needs a lot of time to heal from his other injuries. I'll have a lot more info about his attitude when I go see him.

#4 qhridinGA

qhridinGA

Strongly Worded Southerner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

Man I would love to have that horse. He is a hunk. To bad he is so far away. Paso is my next horse. I could keep him separated from my other horses easily since I keep them at our other property and I have pasture at home, I would just have to build a new fence in a smaller area till he would be able to go out with my others.
Pinky

One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Board Buddies I have met: CassienChey (my daughter), Loranbama, PokeysGirl, Racie Gracie, Acesgetngood, PineBarSissy, Painted Joy, Demon's Mom, DustyGirl (Char), Hastflicka, AnnWatersHC (USC Annabelle), HorseCity Admin, Draftiemama, Draftiepapa, HeartFeltFarm, LTR, QTime, Horseles, Tuper, Shelley and Andy Carter, upnoverfarm, The Geek, Pasogirlz, PaintedHorizon, mayday95, Tequilaskye, Cowgirlartist, Forever In Blue Jeans, SpottedTApps, Poldi, Flequus, Rockabilllygal, Spunker's Gal,TRB, Driftin Mom, Driftin Cowgirl and now Florida Cowgirl, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Tuckaway, the original HoofsinMotion, Apps4Life, Ratts, Notyo, BBBlue, Lash, The Sugar Lady, Cactus Rose, Barnbarb , Theo, and now Abadan Arabians, Codysmom and SCspots.

#5 PaintedHorizon

PaintedHorizon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Picaro has come to live here in Virginia and will be on a huge ranch owned by a wonderful lady that rescues a lot of paso finos. She also is the president of the Virginia Regional of the PFHA. Here's an article.

http://www.nvdaily.c...in-the-head.php
Great Blazes Farm Paso Fino

Proud Member: I LOVE Elmer!

Grrrrrrr.

#6 TxPALOMINO-Kim

TxPALOMINO-Kim

Yella Horse Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,791 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

Just jumping in here to say that it sounds like he's found a wonderful home! He truly deserves it after all he's been through.

How have you been, PH? Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope things are going well for you!

~~ KIM ~~
02/27/06-RIP Lil Bit. My precious golden boy.
I know you're waiting for me and I'll see you again someday.
No love is greater than that of a big yella horse....

I met board buddies: Running Free & GoPartyGo (Jan 2009);Tuckaway (Apr 2009); Fudge02 (Dec 2010)

#7 PaintedHorizon

PaintedHorizon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

I'm doing good! Thank you for asking!
Great Blazes Farm Paso Fino

Proud Member: I LOVE Elmer!

Grrrrrrr.

#8 xpasocorto