• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chester_2007

chester_2007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:23 PM

OK, so I don't have a lot of time to be on here so I will give a brief overview of my problems
Soo, my horse sliced his frog sometime last week and I noticed he was lame this past sat. So monday I took action by going to the vets office and got penicillin and needles and monday night my sister and I gave him half of his dose because our needles bent (the vet gave us the wrong gage) second day we got the right needle and we gave him a full dose he was amazing about it he gets 25cc once a day. Third day he was a freak he started rearing and we would get the needle in and he would rear (just a little not dangerously) so we decided after priking him almost 8 time and it wasn't working because he would pull away we decided to take a break and start all over thinking he was annoyed ( i know ppl are gonna be like, you let him get away with it but it was dark and not safe for us) Today we tried again and he was being a pain so we gave him a mild calmer that we got a farm and fleet went down later and tried again but he keeps pulling away. So i'm wondering how else you go about giving antibiotics these are intramuscular right now. I'm talking to the vet but i'm open to all helpt and thanks to everyone. Sorry again for my bad grammer i'm going quickly :)

HORSES

*PEPPER* Black quarter pony 13yrs.

*CHESTER* Sorrel overo saddlebred 9yrs.

*LEXIE* Bay quarter horse 8 yrs.

*GYPSIE* Bay quarter horse 12 yrs.

*SHADOW* Liver chestnut quarter/shetland horse 11 yrs.

*BANDIT* Bay overo paint horse 8 yrs.

*DUSTY* Silver bay shetland pony 18 yrs.

#2 redneckcowgirl

redneckcowgirl

Fecal Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

Where are you trying to give the shot to him? Neck, or butt muscle?

Did the vet instruct you how to do it properly?

(I just got done with a 5 day regimen with my big blue horse... he didn't even twitch... but I've been giving shots & drawing blood for 15+ years.)

I don't think we're "ALLOWED" to TELL you how to do it...

Ask your vet about the "Thump-thump-thump-thump-stick" method.

Worst case, twitch him.

#3 Zinge

Zinge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

You are in quite a situation as giving penicillin can be fatal if not given properly. You need to be very careful not to hit a vein and a rearing horse is not going to allow you to check for blood in the syringe. Are you sure that the horse needs penicillin? Now, believe me, Im all for it, I just went through a serious infection with my horse and I thought we were going to lose him, the penicillin was all the worked. But, we did start him out on smz powder for the first few days to see if it would help and then moved on to penicillin. could you get some smz's from your vet? If its powder put it in food, if he wont eat it, mix it with very little water and it forms a paste you can syringe in. Again, penicillin is the better drug but I have had horses that have never needed it and the smz's did the trick...just a thought...Im no vet, just a horse owner that knows from a very recent experience how stressful giving penicillin can be. Wish penicillin could come in another form! Also, you can give shots in the rear end but be careful and discuss with your vet. Best wishes to you and your horse!

#4 codysmom

codysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

A couple of things come to mind about his sudden hatred of the shots.

1. 25 cc's seems to be an awful lot of pen to be giving in one injection stie. Pen it thick and takes time to absorb so by giving it all in one spot you are creating a pool/lump that is probably pretty sore for awhile.

2. Are you giving the shots in the same general location all the time (ex. right neck) or are you rotating (right neck, left neck, right bum, left bum, right chest, left chest, etc). If you are giving them all in the same general spot his reaction could very well be from still being sore from the 25 cc's he recieved the day before.

As others have stated you have to be careful with pen and draw back to make sure there is no blood before injecting and with the horse jumping around you are not going to be able to do that effectivley.

Does he really need the pen? Has the vet actually seen the injury and prescribed the pen for it? Is the foot being soaked, wrapped and treated with a topical treatment? Did you actually get the pen from the vet or did you run up to the local feed mill and pick it and the wrong size needles up?

If the foot isn't being kept clean and relativley dry there isn't enough medication in the world to keep it from getting infected.

Buddies met: Runnin'Colors, SCSpots, Abadan Arabians, Char & qhridinGA

#5 Zinge

Zinge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

Codysmom brings up some good points...do you have the right size needle? Also, I agree, all that at one site is a lot. I was instructed a few months ago by a vet at a respected equine clinic. what she had me do was poke, draw back, check for blood, inject 1/2 syringe, then pull back out of the site but not out of the skin, move the needle under skin without re-puncturing the skin, poke into another area, then draw back and inject 2nd 1/2 of syringe. The vet also did mention that the injection sites do get extremely sore. I alternated from one side of neck to the other. While he was at the clinic, they did all injections in the butt to save the neck for me. Sooo much to think about!! I hope we are helping!

#6 Prancer&Onyx

Prancer&Onyx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

I don't have any advice to help you with rearing horse, but I do understand the pains of having to give penicillin. My horse was sick last year and she got 30cc of penicillin twice a day for a month. It wasn't until day 30 that she finally got sick of the shots, but even then she was soo sick that she didn't have the energy to fight me....thank god! My vet instructed me to do as Zinge's vet and pull back out of the site but not out of the skin to relocate the direction the penicillin is going. I alternated between neck and butt. Since you only have to give once a day you have 4 days before you will have to come back to the original stick site if you alternate. What does your vet say?