9 replies to this topic

#1 myoldhorse

myoldhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

We are putting a lean-to on to the side of our barn for the horses. There is a bit of a slope on one corner. We need to build this up a bit. Plus I want good drainage/easy to clean footing, that is going to stand up to the horses tromping all over it.

Anyone have any links or input on what you put in?

It's not a monster of a slope...but enough that it needs to be leveled off a bit for the building.

You can kind of tell in this pic...the right corner. But, I still want to scrape away what is there and put in good footing.

Thank you for any input!

I've met Board buddies: RockinRider, BarnBarb831, Mestengo, LongingtoRun, draftiemama, Hastflicka, Driftin'Mom, Katy BlackJack, Q-time, Angle0706, FarRiverStar, PonyExpressMoon, MRS

'Lacey' 2005 Appaloosa Mare
'Indy' 1999 Fresian/Morgan cross Mare (RIP Jan 2014)

#2 bex DK

bex DK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

Our shed (completely covered and closed... just a single horse-sized door) is just dirt inside. We spread straw and muck it out as needed. They barely use it in the summer and unless we have close to flooding conditions (like we have at the moment from the unusually heavy snow this winter that melted and now rain on top), it isn't usually wet inside.

We do plan to get some concrete in in the area where the feed troughs are (sloping so it drains), but no time yet.

If we had a better budget and were doing it over, we'd probably put some drainage in. But mostly it works well.

#3 jacie

jacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

we built our 3 sided shelter, then we filled the inside with crushed gravel (we used railroad ties at the front to hold in the gravel, so it's essential a step into the shelter) once we had it filled I put mats on top and they have regular pellet bedding, I clean it out each day. it's been working great for my two horses, I have salt inside, but we do not feed inside. they use it quite a bit and it drains well, i'm very happy with it, we originally started with just dirt and mats on top, but it rained so heavy that the water was seeping up from under the ground into the bedding, so we added the gravel to bring the mats up to the level of the railroad ties, and now it stays dry no matter what weather.

#4 iluvspots

iluvspots

Got me some more spots!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

When we had our barn built, the contractor raised it by putting road base and gravel down, then built on top of that. When the barn was complete, he had more road base brought in to form a slope from the barn down to the original grade. There is gravel in the road base, of course, but over time it has packed down fairly well and what tended to be loose on top got cleared away when we'd pick manure (why do horses *have* to poop just outside their stalls? crazy.gif ) What we have now, after just over a year of use, is a nice solid surface that is holding up very well. When it snowed it would get a bit muddy, but was not slippery. Drained well and once the snow melted, the surface dried and hardened up again without needing to be smoothed out.

If you used road base material (not sure what it would be called in your area), it would probably serve well as a flooring in your proposed lean to. You could always put straw or shaving over it, if you wanted something soft for the horses to lay in or to absorb urine if they decide to use it as a latrine. My mare would. LOL

Posted Image
Bingos Peppy The Duke, Mar'03 Paint gelding
Porcelain, Feb'04 pinto mare (Paint X pinto American Warmblood)

Board Buddies I've met:
The whole Driftin' family; quarterpaint; mtn_penny & mtn_sheepdog; Cindyp & mr.CindyP;
glass horse; mrs & mr mrs; LongingToRun; HTR; TRB; Tazzin; KatyBlackjack, onesweetfrog and daughter, glass horse --
Hi, y'all!

#5 mistylanefarm

mistylanefarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

We have been thinking about putting road base outside our barn where the horses run in and out. Around here they call it birm material, but it is a finely crushed rock with some larger rock pieces in it that dries almost into a softer asphalt to cut down on the mud. Won't wear away quickly either. Sounds like it might be a good idea.... unless you just build up the area with soil, then add gravel and mats- depends on the traffic of that area.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Misty '94 Buckskin Tobiano Mare Jerry '99 Walking Horse Cross
Rebel '05 Walker Coonhound

#6 GlowingTrickPony

GlowingTrickPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

what also works is the road base and then the mates with the holes in them,they stay put and let water drain w/ out slipping around and there at TSC I think I paid 49$ each for them there the size of a stall mat? and there nice cause you can even leave them open or put dirt and then grass and drive on them. We had them in the whole run, and they don't shift around like the solid ones either. Lucky to have that great slope! good drainage!

#7 myoldhorse

myoldhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

Thank you for all the replies! I like the idea of this road base (birm material). I'm grateful to have the slope, but on the one end it will be quite a gap between the ground and the bottom of the building. I want something that's going to be easy to maintain...as two of my mares like to use shelters as the latrine rolleye0014.gif

The railroad ties would be a neat idea...

The addition is going up shortly after Easter...I'll have to update and show what we went with.

Thank you!

I've met Board buddies: RockinRider, BarnBarb831, Mestengo, LongingtoRun, draftiemama, Hastflicka, Driftin'Mom, Katy BlackJack, Q-time, Angle0706, FarRiverStar, PonyExpressMoon, MRS

'Lacey' 2005 Appaloosa Mare
'Indy' 1999 Fresian/Morgan cross Mare (RIP Jan 2014)

#8 dgRuffian

dgRuffian

Ruff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

How are you going to add the lean-to on the side of your barn? I am planning on doing exactly what you are doing to include the footing issue. I have gotten a few bids on building it and dang it is expensive. I am wanting it to run the entire length of my barn which is 56' and 16' out. And of course PICTURES when you are done.
While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth......George Bernard Shaw

‎I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

“We all love animals, but why do we call some of them pets and some of them dinner?”

#9 Nikki-HorseCityAdmin

Nikki-HorseCityAdmin

HorseCity Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

I agree with the crushed rock ideas because you will be dealing with tons of mud otherwise. I've seen some people put rubber mats in the lean-tos but that seems like overkill for a latrine. winking0073.gif

That picture reminds me that I do NOT miss that snow and mud! rotf.gif

#10 Apps4Life

Apps4Life

Chief Turd Burglar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

I'm planning on just putting in crushed stone or pea gravel in mine. Thanks for the RR Tie idea, I think I'll be using that one as well.
Posted Image

BBs Met: ShezaSmokinGun, Mule_Freak's mom =), Kristina, Demon's Mom, SpottedT, MUT, Ratts, Notyo, HFF (and Bella), Pinky, Chey, Lora, Lash, Tuck, BB Blue, Hoofs In Motion, Got Barrels?, Meeker, Tuper, The Sugar Lady, Harley, journeysgirl, BuddyRoo, KatieMay, MizParker, DiamondJake, QuarterFlash, Andi, SweetAddiction, RunninColors, SCSpots, Heidi and FLEquus!

RIP Misty, thank you for teaching me so much

~Samantha~
My Tack for Sale