• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nyssa

nyssa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:31 PM

I have to geldings that I board that just are refusing to play nice. Anyone have good suggestions on how to at least get them to a point of tolerating each other so neither get hurt?

Note both are in their teens, both have been here about two months (came within two weeks), one is a paint and the other a TWH, both get along with the other two mares and gelding here. They are to the point that they even try to fight if they are even stalled next to either. Right now I've went to rotation turn out since I only have one pasture but that is causing some bad stall manners in both. Neither owners have any suggestions :( And I'm out of ideas to try that won't get anyone injuried. Anyone have ideas or even just had a similar issue?

Lisa
Mysterylanefarm.com also at www.facebook.com/mysterylanefarm
"Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them."

~John Updike~

#2 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

Geldings put in the same pasture as mares can create these problems and I feel this is what's going on in your case. Just because they've been clipped some still have the instincts. It's much better to keep genders with themselves, as less problems come about.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."

#3 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

Ditto Dilute me.

The geldings are both trying to be top dog with the mares. If you only have one pasture, just turn the mares out together and when you bring them in, the geldings out together. Even numbers helps as horses will pair up. If one is left without a buddy, he will be picked on by the other buddied up horses.

Can you put one gender out for the day and the other gender out for the night?

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#4 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

Another option is to use the white step in posts and a strand or two of hot tape to divide your pasture. Sadly, there isn't much you can usually do when you have these types of aggression issue between horses.

I agree that they are likely fighting over the mare(s). That's why most boarding places have a mare pasture and a gelding pasture. But sometimes two horses just won't seem to get along no matter what. Just like people.

My three work with two geldings and a mare only because one of my geldings, Gulliver, is soooo submissive that he always backs down if Tigo even looks at him. Funny thing is, Gully is the one that was used as a breeding stallion before he was gelded and I got him.

I've also had it work fine with one gelding and one mare, but multiple geldings with mares often causes problems. When I had more horses here they were generally separated by sex.

I also agree with manes that even numbers are usually better than odd, though each herd is going to be different.

Cadence Rhythm Beads is now on:
Facebook
and on
PhotoBucket

#5 nyssa

nyssa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I had tried them alone for a few days about a month ago without success but maybe that wasn't long enough for them to work it out.

What I was thinking was stall them beside each other for the next few days then try just them out together and run them a bit if they get angry with each other.

That sound like a reasonable plan? I figure this isn't going to be a quick fix. The one owner is going to have her geldings testosterone levels checked because he was also mounting mares and seems like there might be some issues other than just thinking he is top dog.
Lisa
Mysterylanefarm.com also at www.facebook.com/mysterylanefarm
"Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them."

~John Updike~

#6 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,895 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

When I had 2 geldings and 1 mare, the mare and younger gelding teamed up against the old gelding. I did have 2 pastures but no matter how I separated them, there was still some kind of problem.

The old gelding adored the mare and didn't like being the one by himself, even though the pastures were side by side, he would run the fence line until he exhausted himself.

If I put the old gelding and the mare together, the younger gelding would knock the fence down to get to the other side, or, he'd go through and even UNDER....yes, that horse did the limbo, would not have believed it had I not seen it.

I tried putting the 2 geldings together and the mare by herself, but the younger gelding tormented the old guy, picked on him, chased him away from his food.

What was the question?

Sounds like dividing the pasture is your only option.
Posted Image