5 replies to this topic

#1 Transplantedagain

Transplantedagain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hey all,

I have a very nice pair of Ariat dressage boots. They are only about 4 years old, and I'm an adult amateur, so they haven't been used hard. But one of the heels started to pull away from the sole. Tried to send them away to get the heel repaired and zippers added so it wouldn't happen again. They came back with a note from the tack shop stating they wouldn't work on Ariats.

So I started doing some research. Turns out Ariat has only 1 shop that they "allow" to work on their boots. I'm in Alabama, the shop is in CA. Okay, no problem, I'll ship 'em out there. But they won't agree to just reattach the heel; they are telling me that they may need to be re-soled. Okay. I had taken them to a local boot repair guy who told me he could easily re-glue the heel, he just didn't have a clamp long enough to hold it while it dried. So I'm doubting the idea that the boot needs to be re-soled, but we move on to discussing the zippers. At this point I am informed that the only shop that Ariat approves to work on its boots will not put zippers in boots that didn't have them before. I know adding zippers is common, so I'm shocked. I call Ariat. They tell me that they don't "allow" zippers to be added to their boots, but I was welcome to buy a new pair that already had zippers. They were even ready to tell me the page number in the catalog. Big mistake on their part. These are $500 boots, lightly used, and they're telling me I have to buy a new pair if I want zippers?

I have not, and will not, buy anything Ariat again, even though I used to buy a lot of their stuff. Now, however, I need to find a quality boot repair shop that will work on my boots, even though the company says they're not allowed to. (What is that about? Once I drive a car off the lot, the dealer can't tell me where to get it serviced or what aftermarket changes to make--and I might still owe them money on the car. My boots are bought and paid for and no longer under warranty anyway--what right does Ariat have to tell me what I can do with them?)

So, long story short, anybody know a quality boot repair shop that will add zippers to my Ariat's?

Oh, and by the way, my husband fashioned a long clamp out of a 2 X 4, used a little gorilla glue, and my sole and heel and now reattached and perfectly happy together. Still want those zippers though!

Thanks!

#2 Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:14 AM

There's been at least one post exactly like this on HC. Ariat refuses to let you do anything to their boots that would keep you from putting money in their pocket.

#3 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:07 AM

I bought one pair of western Ariats back in December 2003. I wore them exactly one time, and probably will not wear them again, but give them to someone. I don't understand what makes them so special. I've had several different brands of boots I liked better. I don't remember any guarantee, warranty or other conditions that came with the Ariats.

Once you've paid for something you have the right to do with it as you please. Any competent shoe repair place ought o be able to put zippers in boots. Or someone who works on golf bags and such things, or perhaps someone who puts zippers in chaps.

Saddletramp

#4 Transplantedagain

Transplantedagain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

Good idea Jack, I never thought of trying other types of leather repair places. I think I may have found a boot place called Pisano's (in Pennsylvania I think) that will do it. Excellent prices, and I've heard some really good reviews on them. I'm waiting on a reply from them to confirm they'll work on Ariats.

I have a friend who has a tack store, and they won't even carry Ariat now because the company won't stand behind their products, and they require such a large minimum order from the retailer that it shuts out a lot of smaller tack shops. I used to really love that company's products, but no more.

#5 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

Transplantedagain ~ I'll send you a PM.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner, 21 April 2010 - 11:48 AM.

Saddletramp

#6 Transplantedagain

Transplantedagain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

Thanks Jack!