8 replies to this topic

#1 fieldstonefarm1

fieldstonefarm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

Does anyone know what disease horses can get from chicken poo? I heard someone talking about it and can't remember.

#2 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

Horses can get lice and mites from them. Usually not a problem in healthy and mature horses.

A bigger problem in young horses is Salmonella. Chickens also carry Histoplasmosis and Coccidiossis, but Coccidiosis is supposed to be species specific. People can get Histoplasmosis and Salmonella. Young horses can get Salmonella. I lost a 9 month old colt to Salmonella from being on a wheat pasture that Canadian Geese were grazing heavily. I have known of other people losing foals when chickens roosted above their stalls. I have never allowed chickens to run loose around my horses. I have some Guineas but they roost in a tree way away from the horses or they would not be here.

#3 fieldstonefarm1

fieldstonefarm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

Here's my problem. I have a neighbor across the street who lets her chicken free range. No big deal but they keep ending up in my pasture. I don't want to start a problem but I also don't want to see my horses get sick or full of lice. She is not a very friendly neighbor and quite pissy actually. I can't afford to fence in a 5acre pasture with no climb fence. I unfortunately think this is gonna head south.

#4 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

Chickens taste good in a pot, ya know.

Chickens disappear when hawks spot them scratching in a pasture. crazy.gif

My chickens free-range during the day but they don't go in my mule's pasture, she chases them out. They see her walking towards them and they RUN FOR THE GATE~!! rotf.gif

My geldings poop in piles on each side of the run-in. The chickens go and scratch through that but I am not worried about them getting my horses sick. They are not in there long or often, just once in a while and my chickens are healthy.

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#5 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

I will not let a chicken (or duck or goose) anywhere near my foals. The older horses are ok unless they were really old or in poor health.

I will not let a chicken or any other birds roost in my barn. That seems to be where they cause the most problems.

We tried keeping game chickens because they roost in trees. The coyotes got them all. I am down to 2 guineas and need to get a few more. The coyotes and the US hwy in front of our house get most of them. I had 25 in the fall of 2008 and have two hens now. We keep them around because they eat ticks and get all of the grasshoppers out of the garden.

#6 fieldstonefarm1

fieldstonefarm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

My horses are in good health and no young ones, I do have 1 old guy 25 at least. He is the horse I worrie about. These darn chickens are in my pasture most of the day and my horses don't chase them out.
I have chickens but they are kept in their run. My ducks were out on Saturday and while I was at a wedding the darn fox came and got 3 of them so my chicks stay in the run. Thanks for the input gang.

#7 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

Great topic as I really want a chicken coop and someone warned me about lice and mites; so it scared me off a bit. Thanks!
If you say nothing to a horse, you mean nothing to a horse.-Robert Dover
Proud owner of:
"This Charming Man"-Winston: 20 year old, bay, Appendix QH, Semi-retired, but still working and being rotten:-) The boss man!
"Bend it Like Beckham"-Beckham: 7 year old, black, Perch/TB. Showing Second Level and schooling Third.
"Grand Temptress Shelby-Shelby: 15 year old, bay, Oldenburg. Second and Third Level.

"You will never get to Grand Prix waving a carrot stick at a Warmblood."

#8 draftriderdave

draftriderdave

Have Mule Will Travel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

OMG, do eat their eggs after they dig in the horse poop. rotf.gif
"The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination"
Tommy Lasorda

#9 fieldstonefarm1

fieldstonefarm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

Well, I think the problem has been solved.
I think the fox got the chickens. I just lost 3 ducks to the darn fox.
So now no more problem.