8 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamin'

Dreamin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

Hello, everyone!

Well I made it home and I got to try on my hackamore today! I love it! However, I think I may need a different sort of headstall or something. The hackamore makes the cheek pieces extend sort of wide away from the horse's nose because the hackamore is so wide. Also, I have it adjusted to its smallest size and the hackamore still seems to be too low -- on the "bumpy" part of the nose rather than the bridge.

Does anyone have a close-up of correct hackamore placement? I am using a Jim Warner.

Thanks so much!

Edited by Dreamin', 09 May 2010 - 05:49 PM.

Always,
Dreamin'

#2 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

I have the Jim Warner type hack, and while I put a pad on the rope, it goes like shown here. Just up onto the bridge.
You have to remember that the Jim Warner has swivel cheeks and it may seem too wide. It works by putting pressure on the nose, but also by compressing and swiveling on the cheeks. I think if you find it too wide, you can shorten the wire spacer underneath. Of course you will need to also re-crimp the wire afterward. I would not do that, as it may pinch the side of the face in the swivel though.
"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#3 Dreamin'

Dreamin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

Siseley,

Many thanks for you extreme patience and helpfulness as always.

It was way too cold to ride today so I managed to try the hackamore again and get pictures. To me, it seems too low. The shanks are too close to his mouth and that little strap beneath his lip seems oddly placed to my eyes. But this is why I am here, to get the input of more than one pair of eyes. So pics:

Thanks again!
Always,
Dreamin'

#4 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

I too think it might be low.
Shorten the cheek parts of the bridle, it will bring the nose up a bit. I would also loosen the chain under the chin.
Some folks replace the chain with a dog collar made of leather, or nylon, If your "Pony" objects to the pressure of the chain.

The shanks are on a swivel, so look like they will pinch, but they don't.

NICE appy there also!!
My friend Ken also rides one, and we call it a stealth appy, cause you don't see many spots until he sweats or is wet.

Ken on his ole boy...

Edited by siseley, 10 May 2010 - 11:46 AM.

"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#5 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

And yes, both horses are using Jim Warner's.

This was on the ride to the Red Rock Cyn in CA.

#6 Dreamin'

Dreamin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

Siseley,

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions and for backing up my gut instinct. Thanks also for the compliments on Image. I hear so many "oh, I really don't like apps . . . " comments, but let me tell you he has saved my rear-end for me on many occasions. Ken's appaloosa is gorgeous, also! I'll put up with their few minor mood swings for the attentiveness they give their riders!

Thanks again, I'll be sure to get some shots from the trails!
Always,
Dreamin'

#7 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

Mood Swings......

HAH!!! I ride an Arabian MARE!
You want some mood swings, just ask that brazen hussy when the hormones are raging!

Steve

#8 Dreamin'

Dreamin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

Hah, yes! You know exactly where I am coming from. You, too, have to put up with the stereotypes and the anecdotes that cement them in everyone's heads! crazy.gif Good thing we love our horses, eh?!
Always,
Dreamin'

#9 Meghan0717

Meghan0717

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

I owned an app once and had a very bad experience and swore i would never own another. But then a trained a pretty little appy mare for a guy and she was so good. Then I fell in love with John Waynes Zips Cochise in the movie Elderado. I would LOVE to have an appy that looked like that or similar.
I know what you mean by stereotypes though. even though i ride QH's everyone around where I live like there geldings they say mares are too pissy. I love my mares and have had several gelding and I just dont seem to like them as much:)