8 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamin'

Dreamin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hello, everyone!

Well I made it home and I got to try on my hackamore today! I love it! However, I think I may need a different sort of headstall or something. The hackamore makes the cheek pieces extend sort of wide away from the horse's nose because the hackamore is so wide. Also, I have it adjusted to its smallest size and the hackamore still seems to be too low -- on the "bumpy" part of the nose rather than the bridge. (For the record I didn't ride in it today, just tried it on).

Does anyone have a close-up of correct hackamore placement? I am using a Jim Warner.

Thanks so much!

Edited by Dreamin', 09 May 2010 - 03:33 PM.

Always,
Dreamin'

#2 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

You really need a picture of the hackamore on the horse for us to be able to help you.

Bumper

Founding member of GOATS: Guardian Of All Things Stray!

Jasper's #1 Fan!

Visit My Website, Harvest Kennels, Field Bred Springer Spaniels

#3 Slip'nSlide

Slip'nSlide

Horse Mafia Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

The hackamores in the pictures are not Jim Warners, instead they are a Little S, and a custom hackamore I had made by L&W bits. The Jim Warner is the most often misplaced hackamore I see, and please understand that until the rope is broken in, it will pull the bridle outward. Depending on the shank length you purchased, you can create enough leverage and enough of a scissor action to break the cartilage in a horse's nose if placed too low. So please, take a picture and post it, so we can get it just right :o)

L&W:

Little S:

And please excuse me in these pictures...ahhh..the good 'ol 4H days!
~Shayna

Journeyman 1 Certified Farrier & Blacksmith ~ Striking 7's Ranch

Posted Image

Bartwo Telusion - "T" Multiple ROMs in Halter - Open/Ammy Aged Gelding

Painted Grullo Dude - "Toby" Roping, Sorting, Playdays, Trails
Bright Easter Jewel - "Jem" Driving, Show, Games - Taken over by my 7 year old son :o)

I critique horses, however I am brutally honest. If you need a critique done feel free to drop me a PM - I try to get things done on the critique board, however I spend a lot of time inpatient and without internet.

#4 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

Slip n Slide...

You are correct in your post about placement. I use a Jim Warner, and I have seen this hack missused several times. I want to say that that custom hack you had with the colorful headstall is really NICE!
Could you let me know if they are still making these hacks?

Thx...Steve
"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#5 Slip'nSlide

Slip'nSlide

Horse Mafia Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Steve,

I have no idea if that hackamore is in production, but you could attempt to send the picture to L&W Bits and inquire if they could make another. I had it made in 2000 at youth worlds in Jackson, Mississippi. It is by far my most asked about hackamore, and most often borrowed-in fact it spent the last year lent out to a young girl for her barrel horse.

http://www.lwbits.com

Thanks!
~Shayna

Journeyman 1 Certified Farrier & Blacksmith ~ Striking 7's Ranch

Posted Image

Bartwo Telusion - "T" Multiple ROMs in Halter - Open/Ammy Aged Gelding

Painted Grullo Dude - "Toby" Roping, Sorting, Playdays, Trails
Bright Easter Jewel - "Jem" Driving, Show, Games - Taken over by my 7 year old son :o)

I critique horses, however I am brutally honest. If you need a critique done feel free to drop me a PM - I try to get things done on the critique board, however I spend a lot of time inpatient and without internet.

#6 Dreamin'

Dreamin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hello again!

Thanks for all of the input so far! It was way too cold to ride today so I managed to try the hackamore again and get pictures. To me, it seems too low. The shanks are too close to his mouth and that little strap beneath his lip seems oddly placed to my eyes. But this is why I am here, to get the input of more than one pair of eyes. So pics:

Thanks again!
Always,
Dreamin'

#7 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

Dreamin....
I replied on the trail riding thread for you.

Steve
"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#8 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

The placement looks good to me, but if the keeper on the shanks catches on the lower lip or bothers your horse, you can adjust it up a little higher. Play with the curb chain to see where your horse needs it. Some need it a little snug, some need more slack.

Bumper

Founding member of GOATS: Guardian Of All Things Stray!

Jasper's #1 Fan!

Visit My Website, Harvest Kennels, Field Bred Springer Spaniels

#9 Dreamin'

Dreamin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

Bumper,

Thanks so much for the input! I really appreciate it!
Always,
Dreamin'