16 replies to this topic

#1 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

It's been a long few days. Monday my best horse (of course) got kicked a couple inches above his eyes and a bit on the right. He was unconscious before he hit the ground, and was out for at least 3 minutes. I didn't see it, but rushed home in a panic. When I got here he was up and staggering around. Caught him and waited for the vet. He gave him Dex and Prednisone IV, I separated him and have spent the last couple days and nights watching him.

I'm gave him 8 ccs Prednisone yesterday, and today 6 ccs and 2 ccs of Bute, per vet instructions. I wish he had told me the first day I could also give him Bute, the horse was in a lot of pain, confused, and miserable. I stayed with him almost all day, he would hardly leave my side. Except to do continuous circles to the right. Which he is still doing, but not as compulsively. He stands and rests much more often today, and is more alert. For a while he's very lethargic and looks bad, hardly responsive. Then for a couple hours he's more alert, head mostly up, walking around.

All he's wanted to do is eat, so he gets soaked hay pellets and a little soaked senior every couple hours. It's all he can eat, he can't seem to chew anything. His eyes look good during the day, but at night don't dilate as much as they should. The right pupil also stays fixed, but the left constricts with light. Vet thinks there isn't any brain bleeding, but still some swelling. He's a very different horse, and still mostly lethargic. There's a few mannerisms that are normal for him, so I'm hopeful he'll recover. Yesterday he started walking better, today he's not stumbling much at all.

That vet was off work today, so another vet told me give him tomorrow's dose of Prednisone (4ccs), and then start him on 10mg of Dex tomorrow, for 5 days. As well as some antibiotics, and continuing the Bute. I'm a little concerned on giving him both days doses today and still on the fence about it. The other vet isn't available to ask. Is 10 ccs of pred too much for one day? With starting the Dex the next morning? I'm just not sure which vet to listen to. Any thoughts? I'm still very worried about him, sometimes it seems he just isn't in there, he's different. Sometimes he feels better. I've been sick about this, and am thankful the kicker didn't have shoes on.
*Lisa*
My kids:
Wyatt- 8 yr. old black gelding
Ozzie- 9 yr. old bay gelding
Jellybean-9 yr. old sorrel gelding
Copper: 8 yr. old sorrel mare
Keisha- 1 1/2 yr. old Catahoula cross
Jake-7 yr. old Kelpie cross
Stitch- bay gelding that I will always miss
My Rescue Website

My Website

#2 GlowingTrickPony

GlowingTrickPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

man...so sorry...it like when your Skin-Kids get hurt ha? prayers to ya!!! and patients! to!

#3 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

I am surprised your Vet did not use IV DMSO. It is very good for inflammation and swelling and works very well on CNS swelling. Our Vets use if for a lot of things like that.

I had an old cheap horse years ago that got kicked in the head just below his ear. I called my Vet that lived 30 miles away. He had me give Dex and IV DMSO. This horse looked just like yours. Staggered in circles, held his head lop-sided and fell repeatedly. His eyes were also different and his ear would not come up. It turned out his ear-drum was busted and got infected. Puss started running out of it as he carried his head so crooked that the ear on that side was down much lower than the good one. He was running a good fever. That was about 4 or 5 days post kick. Vet had us put him on Gentocin and keep giving DMSO but had us quit the Dex.

This horse got 99% better and broke out OK. He was deaf in that ear for ever, but rode fine. He staggered for about a week. His only lasting problem was that he carried his head a tiny bit crooked like some one-eyed horses do.

We also had a serious spinal cord injury that, sorry to say, did not improve enough and we had to put the horse down. But, I gave Dex when we found the horse with paralysis of its hind legs. Called the Vet and he had me give more Dex until he could start IV DMSO. The horse improved but could not stand without help and we decided we had to let him go.

It was a 2 month old foal that plowed head-first into a fence during a bad thunderstorm. He evidently over-extended his neck when he ran the top of his head into the fence. The lightning and thunder were simultaneous. It was bad. As soon as it quit lightening (was still raining), I went out and started checking horses. I have lost 3 to lightening over the years and am plumb paranoid. I found the foal. It had been real stormy like it has now all week. Oddly enough, I had put the mare and colt -- a really, really good one, in a better pen up by the barn instead of just leaving them out on pasture where he probably would have been OK.

#4 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

His right eye isn't dialating because he isn't seeing out of it due to the swelling, hence his circling to the right. The eye he can see with, the left eye, he is using to see the wall.

This is why I will not own a kicker. I'd rather have a horse who will charge others with his teeth bared than one who will turn and kick.

Keep with him, I have a feeling he will come out of it ok and regain his sight when the swelling goes down. huggy.gif angel3.gif

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#5 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

Both eyes are dilating some, but maybe half of what they would typically be at night. But the right one doesn't constrict when shining a light on it, the left one does. I know he can see a bit out of it and has some response to light, movement, etc in that eye. But I'm sure it's limited. He sometimes hits his mouth when putting his head down into the feed tank/ tub. Or misses it and hits the side of his face on it trying to get his head back in the tank. It's getting better though.

He hasn't ran into the fence at all, or me. I know he's improved, but it's slow and I'm pretty stressed about it. I expect it will take time, if he ever recovers completely. A friend saw it happen, said they were all just standing around. He was behind another gelding and put his head down just as the horse kicked, or right before or something. Obviously the horse meant to kick him, not sure if his head was down for a while or it was just bad timing. The horse typically isn't a kicker. I hate kicking horses as well, and he's usually well behaved, but is one of the top of the totem pole. He's never done anything like this before.

And the vet didn't mention using DMSO, though I've heard many do. There's only a few vets here, and I don't trust any of them completely. I will probably call a vet I do trust tomorrow, just for advice. He's not close, but it's worth an opinion over the phone.
*Lisa*
My kids:
My Rescue Website

My Website

#6 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

I would agree with DMSO....1 Liter of a 10% solution works wonders. Can also be given by nasogastric tube too. My own personal worry is why this horse is getting Dex AND Pred (steroids) at the same time on top of Bute (non-steroidals). In general, concurrent use of steroidals and non-steroidals are contraindicated, as the drugs are competing for the same cell receptors. Instead of increasing your potency, you can actually decrease the effectiveness of both.

We can't answer the "Is 10cc Pred too much in a day" question as we don't know WHICH pred it is or the concentration. I'm going to assume its Solu-Medrol, and if that's the case I frequently give about a 50# dog that much without blinking an eye.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#7 meeker_gurl8789

meeker_gurl8789

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Im so sorry this is all to familiar to me but my gelding WAS kicked by a shod horse... Leo was 32 so we opted to put him down the vet said he wouldnt have made it anyway. He had massive brain swelling and bleeding there was no pulling thru for him...
I have no idea what treatments they would have done as we knew they wouldnt have helped i didt even ask...

SO ill have you and your horse in my thoughts i really hope he pulls thru for you... angel3.gif huggy.gif

Proud owner of
WR Shades Of Phire 2004 Bay Arabian mare
Little Hawk 2008 champaigne Miniature horse Gelding
AM Rain Maker 2013 bay Arabian gelding

Itsy Bitsy 1994 Bay Arabian mare

#8 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

They told me to add some Bute as the first day he was in a lot of pain. The last day and today he seem so to be in a lot less pain, and a lot more comfortable. I would feel comfortable stopping the Bute if needed. Sounds like it might be best.

Today they want me to stop the Pred and switch to 10mg of powdered Dex once a day, along with Tucoprim. Would it still be beneficial to add DMSO after this many days? And do you use it with the steroids/ and for how long? I will ask them, I might also call the other vet a long ways away and get his opinion. The horse couldn't have been hauled the first day, now he'd probably be stable enough if necessary. I'd rather not unless I have to.

I suspect he might have a cracked tooth or something, seems like when he grinds them I can hear one hitting/grinding especially. It could just be a tooth that's a bit longer and is catching when he grinds his teeth. The vets here are HORRIBLE with teeth. When he's better I'll let them inspect them maybe, but I'll get a dentist up for any work.
*Lisa*
My kids:
My Rescue Website

My Website

#9 meeker_gurl8789

meeker_gurl8789

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hows he doing today?

Proud owner of
WR Shades Of Phire 2004 Bay Arabian mare
Little Hawk 2008 champaigne Miniature horse Gelding
AM Rain Maker 2013 bay Arabian gelding

Itsy Bitsy 1994 Bay Arabian mare

#10 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

Rowdy, how's the horse doing now?
Sappy's son Hunter is my wooden spoon minion. Hunter ROCKS!!
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#11 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

Time for an update. He's improving very slowly. His balance seems good, he's alert-head and ears up a lot. Somewhat responsive, but not normal. He's still dull and quiet, normally he's a very reactive/responsive overly sensitive horse. Not so at all right now. But there are little tiny things that show me he's still in there, but barely. Once in a while I'll see a tiny reaction or mannerism that's "him". But not often. His vision seems to be better by quite a bit, but I'm still worried there will be permanent damage. His right pupil still dilates a bit more than it should part of the day, and doesn't dilate enough at night. He now has a light brown sliver (slightly cloudy around it) under the pupil. But he's more responsive to lights (at night), and movement, I know his vision is better than it was.

He still can't chew well, seems to grind a few teeth and spit food out. So he's still on soaked hay pellets, not sure how long that will need to last. It's getting expensive! And he's always hungry so gets smaller meals several times a day. So I'm just waiting and watching. He's not on anything currently, vet pulled the antibiotics and steroids off.
*Lisa*
My kids:
My Rescue Website

My Website

#12 fieldstonefarm1

fieldstonefarm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

What did the vet say about the teeth? glad to hear he's doing better.

#13 hansonmkusa

hansonmkusa

Qtr Horse Lvr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

Glad he is doing better...send pics when you can.

~MH

JR -- Sorrel Quarter Horse

Felina -- Gray Quarter Horse
Zee --Green Iguana
Zina -- Red Tail Boa
Elektra -- Red Tail Boa

"Make sure you have your dreams saddled if you want to ride it." -- Johnny Cash
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway!" -- John Wayne

_th.jpg

#14 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

The vet said they couldn't sedate him for a while. I don't know how long that will be. I will probably just get a dentist up here when it's ok to work on him, I won't let these vets work on his teeth and I don't see a reason to sedate him for the vets to look, and another time for the dentist. He needs a float anyway.
*Lisa*
My kids:
My Rescue Website

My Website

#15 moondncs

moondncs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

so scary. sending hugs and prayers your way huggy.gif huggy.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif

#16 Zeusyboy

Zeusyboy

Life Is Better At A Gallop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:06 AM

Do you have pictures? I'm curious to see what his face/head look like.

Sending lots of healing vibes for him. Poor boy.

huggy.gif angel3.gif
ASHLEY
Theres no such thing as PEOPLE with HORSE issues, Just HORSES with PEOPLE issues. - Buck Brannaman
Even though you've been Bucked, Kicked Bit and Stomped... Never Give Up....
Silly Boys..Trucks Are For Girls
I Haven't Got A Pot To Pee In, Or Even A Window To Throw It Out Of..
I FINALLY Met A Board Buddy - Mudder, Taglet, Barnboss

#17 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

I'll see if I can load a pic today. It really doesn't look like anything. There is just a small cut, but it bled quite a bit the first couple days.
*Lisa*
My kids:
My Rescue Website

My Website