56 replies to this topic

#1 morning dusk

morning dusk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

I was watching the news a few days ago and they quickly mentioned about this video of 7 year old girls at a dance competition dancing to "Single Ladies".

Video

I guess people are upset of the way they are dancing for such young girls at the age of seven years old, and as well as thier attire.
Apparently the dancers parents and the dance instructor see no harm in the dance routine.

So what are your thoughts or opinions on this?

For me, in a way, i'm torn between both sides on if this is bad or not bad of an ordeal.

I danced for 7 and a half years (from the age of 3 to almost 11). I remember a routine I did when i was little (maybe around 4 or 5) and we did a dance to " Yellow Polka-dot Bikini" where we were actually in one for our costumes for a tap number. But of course this is talking about the mid '90's when i did this (I'm almost 19). So we didn't have something like these girls had with shaking thier booties that much.
So really i'm just torn between both sides.

What do you think?
board buddies i've met: performancenotguaranteed & smileitlooksgoodonyou

I'm not small, I'm Fun Sized

#2 dee-l

dee-l

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

I'm surprised that this video is being singled out. The costumes/music/make up, etc in this video are not abnormal for young kid dance competitions- as sad as that is.

My two younger sisters danced for many years. The costumes were extremely revealing, the make up is caked on an inch thick (even on the REALLY little ones! and yes, it's required), and some of the songs are suggestive. I just don't see the need for young girls to be painted and dressed up like they are in the dance industry.

It's not something I supported and not something I'd like my future kids to get involved with.

"Just because you can, does not mean you should."

#3 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,388 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

Wow! They ROCKED that routine! At only 7yrs old!?! They are amazing little dancers. Yes, some of the moves were suggestive but I think they nailed the theme of the music video very well.

In general, no, I don't care to see little girls made up as 'tarts' and performing adult-themed routines. But, this is dance, based on an adult song/video and to be competetive, well, you gotta be competetive. I hope they won. They really did a good job. I couldn't believe they were only 7yrs old. If they wish to make careers out of dance, they are well on their way.

I have the abilities of single-minded determination and pin-point focu... Hey, look! A horse!
croplegs0713.jpg

#4 HorsingRound

HorsingRound

Ride 'til you puke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

Talented dancers, no doubt. But WTH...dressed like hootchie mammas at 7 years old? And the crotch shots and hip gyrations might not have been so bad if they weren't dressed like pint-sized dominatrices.

Tasteless halloween costumes aside, if it were my kid in the video, I'd not be happy about it being on YouTube, slobbered over and yanked at by the freaks and molesters of the world (of which there seem to be plenty these days!).

Painting by Sal Vasquez (of me and my horses ♥)

I've met Board Buddies: CrazyTrailAdventurer, BigHeart, Zmecky, Siseley, Zakima.

#5 scapoose

scapoose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,405 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:57 PM

We were at the county fair a few years back, and they had a dance school performing on one of the little stages...well they had teenaged girls dancing to Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls" A song about strippers!!! crazy.gif Hubby and I kind of sat there with our mouths open and walked off. I'll admit, I was shocked at that one, and I'm not easily shocked at stuff like that.

The ones in the video? Eh. Pretty tacky IMO. Let kids be kids. They could have done that song but with different outfits and a few different moves and it would have been perfectly fine. They certainly can dance though!
I actually met 14 board buddies!
hastflicka, xpasocorto, myDakota, Remy, wrangler, silverdreamer3, audrey-mae, Lopin Leopard, Adoro Reina, PacaPaca, Bryna, Sweetaddiction, Havanapp82, and Zephyr's Mom

#6 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

I watched it.... and didn't know.

Then my husband watched it because I asked him to. And he summed up my feelings

"Dang they can dance! .....but it's so utterly disturbing."

Those girls have talent and really can dance, but I wonder if they know what they are referring to? How they are dancing and how it's viewed? I wish these girls were older, 16 or up I think my mind would be more at ease. But 7.... no. I just can't do it.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."

#7 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,649 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:03 AM

Ick. I'm with Mr. DiluteMe. They're definitely talented, but those costumes and some of the moves make it really, really creepy.

I understand that it's the norm in dance competitions, but that doesn't make it okay for me.

The song seems fairly innocuous, and maybe they're mimicking the video. I don't know. But sexualizing kids is just gross.

Obviously, this doesn't apply here, but I have a hard time with the fact that girls who are 12 to 14 years old can easily be mistaken for young women. They are physically developed and wear snug clothes, etc. And then we wonder why they become sexual so young and why men and boys make passes (or worse). Well, if she can be mistaken for an adult, I can understand.

I am NOT saying that dressing some way is "asking for it" or that rape is explicable because of the way someone looks. I'm saying that it's easy to see how muted the lines between children, teens, and adults are becoming, and I don't think we should encourage kids to be sexual any earlier than they will due to nature.

Edited by Kina Kat, 17 May 2010 - 02:04 AM.

#8 Loves-to-Ride

Loves-to-Ride

Trail Rider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:15 AM

Both my ados have been dancing for years and are in pre-professional dance programs. Classic, modern, contemporary, hip hop, etc. They have been in many shows and competitions.

What those girls did is quite typical of today's dance routines. The choreography those girls did was great and I didn't have any problem with it. They have some great technical skills. The costumes were a bit over the top but worked. Good for them. They worked hard and did a great job. There was nothing unusual about the choreography that I could find offensive.

People should understand that anything done in a public venue has a high degree of possibility to end up somewhere on the internet for the world to see if there is someone with a camera.

As a parent of children who dance many hours a week I haven't had to object to many things over the years with the exception of musical lyrics, particuarily with various hip hop type routines. Some of the music is full of profanity, is degrading to women and describes some types of behavior that I personally find offensive. There have been times that I have expressed my concerns with an instructor or two who are using this music in younger dancers classes. But my kids dance to all kinds of music, including some I don't personally like, and I haven't noticed it influencing them one way or the other.
Ride long and prosper!

Love your family and horses. All else that is good in life will follow!

#9 Ann Wheeler

Ann Wheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:02 AM

actually theywere 8,9 year olds... saw it heard it onthe news ll weekend each channel reported theywere 8/9.
http://blog.syracuse...utine_to_s.html

I think this shows they are growing up too fast....
the song is way to suggestive..as well as the dancing.
no argument about their talent.

It's the way thier talent was being presented ..

I remember when dancing, wearing skimpy clothes were not allowed for talent.dance contests. or allowed to show on T.V.
dream of jeanie.with Barbara Eden couldn't show her bare belly, it was covered upped by thin material...

Edited by Ann Wheeler, 17 May 2010 - 06:10 AM.

#10 Mia'sMom

Mia'sMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

I think that they dance really well - and probably don't have a clue what the song is about.
The costumes are pretty typical of dance competitions. I was impressed with the level of dancing.

Adults might see more in this - but I think the kids are just having fun and showing their abilities. I hope the whole uproar isn't making the girls feel ashamed in ANY way. That would be awful.

I think it's too bad that so much is being made out of this. I bet similar outfits could be found at most recitals and competitions.

This is the down side of YouTube in my opinion.
Horses: the best and cheapest therapy - Good for what ails ya'!

#11 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

They're clearly very talented. If I had a child though, she would not be allowed to participate in this sort of routine nor wear that sort of outfit.

And I've done cheer/dance competitions and even pageants. I'm not averse to people doing age appropriate dance and such.

The flip side is that if they really are THIS good, there may not be a whole lot of "age appropriate" stuff available. They are well beyond the ability level of most 8-9 YOs.
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#12 wireweiners

wireweiners

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

My daughter has been a competition dancer for about 6 years now. These girls are very talented. To see girls that age nail those turns is something else. Personally I think the song is cute. The routine is pretty typical for a jazz routine and so are the costumes. Personally I would prefer something a bit more covered but a pastel tutu would not go with the music or routine. My daughter has worn midriff baring costumes just about every year she has danced.

Dance competitions have rules about dances and costumes being too revealing and/or suggestive. It counts off major points. I have seen a dance routine penalized for being too suggestive. I didn't see the routine personally but it was the talk of the competition. It was a group of teen girls dancing to the Lady Marmalade. Their costumes resembled negligee's. Apparently the dance was very suggestive. They got a 3rd place rating which is unheard of at dance competions.

I think dance is a wonderful sport for girls. It provides exercise and teaches teamwork and poise. Dance moms seem to be a better group than soccer moms and little league moms. We pretty much get along and help each other out with makeup and costumes.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people? Thomas Jefferson

#13 catcharide

catcharide

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

Being sexual at such a young age is not what I want my daughter to experience. There are many years for that. Dance does not have to sexualized. We have dance performances here every year-one is an all day dance performance by many different dance companies -and there is not that kind of sexualization of young girls that I have seen.

It is all about choice and what you as a parent promote for your children. Females are sexualized throughout much of their lives and that is just a fact of life, but why start so early.

#14 mrs

mrs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,968 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (HorsingRound @ May 16 2010, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd not be happy about it being on YouTube, slobbered over and yanked at by the freaks and molesters of the world (of which there seem to be plenty these days!).

*snort!* Can you say that on HC????? I agree though. I wouldn't want my little girl dressed in lingerie.

#15 Little Cow

Little Cow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,746 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

How do you really feel, horsinground? rotf.gif

It's right up there with the freaky child pageants for me. They have got to understand who is attracted to their videos, pictures, shows, etc....

I cannot imagine any real man finding anything appealing about a 7 year old girl dressed up and dancing like a stripper.

I wonder if the kind of people that dress up their little girls like this would be inclined to show TWHs in those Big Lick classes? Seems to me that some type of mental illness or personality disorder would cause someone to exploit children or animals for personal attention. Sick, sick people.

Oh, and I most certainly flagged that video. Idiot parents. Art, my arse.

Edited by Little Cow, 17 May 2010 - 01:25 PM.

Is working cattle considered playing with your food?

Home of the ankle biter cows.

Proud veteran.

#16 skjotta

skjotta

owner of lava-goats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (BuddyRoo @ May 17 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The flip side is that if they really are THIS good, there may not be a whole lot of "age appropriate" stuff available. They are well beyond the ability level of most 8-9 YOs.

one of my issues with the whole "child competition" thing is that why is there a need for these girls to preform so far ahead of what IS an appropriate level for their age?

we do not have that type of competing for young children here, so the concept is a bit far out for me. with the introduction of reality shows like "norways got talent" and "X factor" and so on, we are starting to see children being coached and pushed beyond their level, and i just do not see the point. if someone has a talent that could make them a "star", then why is it not enough for their parents to see that happen when the child is old enough to handle the pressure of media, competition, winning and loosing? why cant they just be children while they are children, and stars when they grow up?

my daughter will not be competing at any level higher than pee wee league soccer or something like that until she is old enough to understand what it is all about. she will always be allowed to do what she likes, but the competition part will be kept out of it. if she wants to dance, then of course she will be alowed to, and if she has talent she will have lessons to build the talent, but she will not be competing until she gets older. thankfuully we do not have competitions for kids that young here, but if that changes, my daughter will not be part of it.

i want to teach her to do things for fun, not for winning. the motivation of competition can come later, if she still is comitted to what ever sport she likes at that point.
"If cavemen are our long ago ancestors, then evolution had to take affect. Evolution stepped in when all the cave men kept getting eaten by dinosaurs and other predators. Through evolution, our brains evolved into something bigger and better, so that we could build advanced tools to not only protect ourselves, but to hunt."

#17 Stars_Morab

Stars_Morab

I come from the land of ice and snow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,944 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

These girls are immensely talented. I remember when I was their age, I was in dance. This was quite a while ago, and it was not uncommon for a costume like that. The makeup, is all just stage makeup. Its to help people in teh audience to actually be able to SEE your face when you are up on stage. No different than the makeup used in theater. I didn't see anything horrible about the costume choices, or choice in music, or makeup. All par for the course. GOOD for those girls !

I don't see what the big fuss is. Those dance moves were FAR less offensive than most of the junk out there. IMHO.

TALENTED girls and a fabulous routine. They nailed it. I hope they keep with it as they get older. I'd rather have my daughters in dance class every week working hard than sitting at home in front of the tv.

~stars
Posted Image

Naughty By Review on Facebook

Board Buddies I've met:Lopen28, Justcowin, Serendell, PASOLOVER, pelirrojaloca, RedneckcowgirlMN, Equi_librium, CJF Farrier, spanishwalkinwannabe,have I met you yet?
OH so proud member of the "Crap On a Cracker My Luck Sucks!" club

#18 wireweiners

wireweiners

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

No, LC, I have no desire to show TWH in the Big Lick shows. I'm a trail rider who likes my horses low key. My daughter started taking dance and gymnastics when she was 6. She was always turning flips around the house so I asked her if she would like to take gymnastics lessons. She wanted to dance too, so I said ok. The first year she took tap and ballet. After her first year, the studio owner approached me and asked if I would be interested in allowing her to dance in the competition team. I asked my daughter and she was excited about it, so I said ok. They did one competition dance that year, a jazz routine to "Thoroughly Modern Millie". They wore 2 piece costumes, dark red velvet with black fringe. Yes, they wore complete makeup. Remember, they are on stage performing under very bright lights. If they don't wear stage makeup, their features are completely washed out.

I have not exploited my daughter. She dances competitively because SHE wants to. She is in top physical shape, graceful, and has plenty of confidence and poise. It takes a great deal of dedication and athletiscm to be a competition dancer. She has danced for 3-4 hours per night for 3 nights a week plus has had classes to increase her flexibility, strength and endurance. She has made a number of wonderful friends that have the same goals she has.

All I do is provide support, encouragement and money. Competition dance is VERY expensive. Believe me, if she didn't want to do it I wouldn't force her. She cut back this year and danced on a less competitive team. She misses the competition team and wants to go back to it next year. If that's what she wants, I'll find the money some how.

Dance competions do penalize routines and costumes that are too revealing/suggestive. Music is routinly edited to eliminate explicit lyrics. We dance moms focuse on the technique and skill. Oh, and the bling, we loooove bling. We can bling with the best of them. We can also pack a dance bag for any contingency from a ripped costume to a sprained ankle, change hair styles from a bun, to a pony tail to a pouf and back to a bun, make costume and hair changes in 15 minutes between numbers, put mascara on a 7 year old, and keep up with 7 different costumes plus shoes and accessories. Then run up stairs and cheer our little darlings on and run back down again to get them ready for the next number. We congratulate them when they do well and console them when they mess up. We are proud of our performers.

Oh, and my daughter can shimmy her booty with the best of them grin.gif

#19 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,302 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

If you teach babies to dress and act like little tramps, how can you explain why they shouldn't when they get older?

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#20 Stars_Morab

Stars_Morab

I come from the land of ice and snow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,944 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

There is a difference between acting/ and dancing on stage, and dressing like a hussy at home.

NOW, if I saw a young girl dressed like that at the park, I might be inclined to think something was a miss.

I wouldn't have any problem with either of my daughters dancing to, or putting on a routine like that. I'd be PROUD of them for doing such an amazing job. Those girls are very talented, and should be proud. So should their parents. Those girls obviously put in long hard hours to get to the skill level they are at. GOOD for them.

~stars
Posted Image

Naughty By Review on Facebook

Board Buddies I've met:Lopen28, Justcowin, Serendell, PASOLOVER, pelirrojaloca, RedneckcowgirlMN, Equi_librium, CJF Farrier, spanishwalkinwannabe,have I met you yet?
OH so proud member of the "Crap On a Cracker My Luck Sucks!" club

#21 catcharide

catcharide

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

My daughter also danced, ballet, and there were many performances in ballet and jazz and there was no sexualization of the children in any of the performances. All dance performances were appropriate to the age of the students and there was never any adult styled moves. I also danced for 18 years and I have never even worn a two piece costume.

Dance training does not equate to teaching girls-or boys-to shake their booties. That is not dance just performances geared toward making parents happy. But we all make choices for our children, my daughter needs to learn how to be a happy confident woman before she learns how to shake her bootie. smileywavey.gif

#22 wireweiners

wireweiners

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

My daughter doesn't act like a tramp, thank you very much. Neither does she dress like one. When she is on stage, she wears a costume. It is just that a costume. What y'all don't realize is dance is very hard WORK. Dedicated dancers don't have the time or inclination to act like tramps. What I am teaching her, through dance, is physical fitness, team work, responsibility, confidence and poise. If you aren't fit, you can't dance. If you can't work as a team, the routine doesn't work. If you don't practice and show up for classes and competitions, your whole team suffers. It takes guts to get up on stage and perform in front of hundreds of people. One time, during a tap routine, my daughter had a short duet with another girl. At their first competition, they forgot their duet routine just as they began to do it. I could see the "oh crap" look in their eyes. But they thought on their feet, improvised and pulled it off. Unless you knew the routine you would't have known they messed up. That takes guts and confidence.

#23 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

I'm at work so I watched it without the sound on so I can't comment on the song choice. My impression is a bunch of little girls dancing like they've seen big girls do. I don't see "sexuality", I just see little girls. Talented little girls.

The outfits cover everything completely.

confused0024.gif

#24 shadow13

shadow13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

Hopefully the children understand the difference between performance and real life.

I'm a high school student. I go to school with dancers, some of whom have been dancing on competition teams-- like these-- since they were very young. Very few were pushed to continue by their parents, and while they're not necessarily universally beloved, they're not the girls with bad reputations at all. Dancing is very socially intense, since they devote so much time to practice and to the team. People forget that dance is super-athletic and takes work; it's not all booty-popping for the camera.

That said: I was more scandalized by the dance than I thought I would be, probably because I initially assumed that everybody was just overreacting. I think this dance comes across as being raunchier than the original because, on account of not having hips, these little girls are a lot more precise and aggressive than Beyo and her dancers.

As for the attire, I am SUPER-ANNOYED by it. There's the creepy burlesque detailing, but whatever, I understand that dance costumes are often weird and sometimes stupid. They could've had a midriff covering-- Beyonce did-- but it was their choice not to. Mostly, though, it totally goes against the choreography inspiration. Did they not notice that Beyonce does a modified Charleston or that the entire dance-- which they lifted a ton of the choreography from-- was directly inspired by Bob Fosse? Bob Fosse is Cabaret, Chicago, and Sweet Charity. Bob Fosse is not the ######cat Dolls. I think they missed that point.
Tara.

#25 Finnigan

Finnigan

Attempting regret-free living!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

It is what it is. I don't like it and I wouldn't allow my own kids to do it, but there will always be those who think it's totally fine. I agree those little girls are VERY talented, but I also think there are less sexually-heightened ways of expressing it. I would probably put more of an emphasis on athleticism at that age.

But I'm stodgy and conservative and Catholic. As a cheer coach at the Catholic elementary school where my kids went (go) I would not allow my little cheerleaders to do any booty-shaking, or underpants flashing or hip gyrating, but some coaches thought I was being too prissy. My thinking was that we were representing a Catholic school and were held to a more conservative standard.

I would have had a straight up heart attack if my daughter, the apple of my eye, the symbol of all that is pure and good in my life, had come home with slutty lingerie and said it was her costume for dance class.
Heather

Proudly owned by...

Finnigan Seamus, 3-year-old beagle mix
Luna, 7-year-old lab mix
Owen, 10-year-old QH gelding

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." John Wesley

#26 skjotta

skjotta

owner of lava-goats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

oki... i just watched the video... i have to say that i do not really think of that as dancing, and hardly impressive.....

now THIS is impressive. notice how they wear about the same amount of clothing, but the image they portray is WAY different from those little girls...

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

i guess it is like any other type of artists. either they have talent and something to say with their art, or they play on sex to win......
"If cavemen are our long ago ancestors, then evolution had to take affect. Evolution stepped in when all the cave men kept getting eaten by dinosaurs and other predators. Through evolution, our brains evolved into something bigger and better, so that we could build advanced tools to not only protect ourselves, but to hunt."

#27 dee-l

dee-l

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (skjotta @ May 17 2010, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oki... i just watched the video... i have to say that i do not really think of that as dancing, and hardly impressive.....

now THIS is impressive. notice how they wear about the same amount of clothing, but the image they portray is WAY different from those little girls...

i guess it is like any other type of artists. either they have talent and something to say with their art, or they play on sex to win......

Chances are that the girls in these lyrical dances went back for a costume change after these dances were over and went out to compete in a jazz dance later (or earlier) in the show. They're just different styles of dance and don't necessarily take different levels of talent to pull off, although they may appear as though they do.

"Just because you can, does not mean you should."

#28 Little Cow

Little Cow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,746 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:07 PM

wirewieners- My objection is the public display of kids in skimpy outfits. Private is private. Why post that on youtube? Surely the parents can find other ways to gratify their egos without making their daughters targets by complete strangers? My comparison to Big Lick is based on my impressions of TWH Big Lick owners. I've attended a few BL shows and I marvel at the attitudes. Very proud of their horses with little regard to the animal's comfort. Similarly, I think the parents that post such videos, pictures, etc for all the world to see are gratifying their own egos with little regard to the potential danger that they put their child in.

I know someone will tear me up for objecting. Well, flame away. I think it's wrong.

Skjotta- Your country sounds more and more like you guys are on the right track.

Edited by Little Cow, 17 May 2010 - 05:12 PM.

Is working cattle considered playing with your food?

Home of the ankle biter cows.

Proud veteran.

#29 DraftHorse

DraftHorse

The receiver of packages and the inhabitant of dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

First impression: Those girls can dance!

Second impression: Loved the routine.

Third: The little girls had no idea how suggestive the routine was. Shame on the choreographer, he/she knew darn well.

I guess the parents of those wee mites are so focused on fame and fortune for their very talented children, they lose sight of what's happening.

I met a board buddy, Bend N Flex. (Oh, there you are, bendy!!!)
Was in the same state as, and chatted on the phone with, PacaPaca and yankeeviper. Way cool ladies!

#30 Remy

Remy

The Old Un

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

I am with LC on this. I would have hated for my daughter to be a part of something like this when she was only 7-8 or 9 years old. They grow up much too fast anyway, especially in today's world. Dancing is great for kids and most of them really enjoy it, but this video reminds me of the so-called beauty pageants for children. Too much sexuality at too young an age.

A bay, a gray and a chestnut.
Rurutiki - forever in my heart
Home of Kranji Pioneer, now known as Comanche.