24 replies to this topic

#1 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

I am thinking of something to do with my barn floor, and pea gravel came to mind. If I take out my railroad ties that are in there now, and fill it with pea gravel, how much of a problem am I going to have with manure?

Below my RR ties there is crushed rock. Below that, the ground slopes so that liquid runs out under the barn walls. The base ground is pretty far down, maybe two feet.

I'm thinking of not having any bedding over the pea gravel. Good idea or not? Shavings would mix in with the pea gravel and I couldn't even flush that away with water. Manure could be picked up and maybe any remnants could be broken down and flushed away with the water hose...or would those remnants eventually clog up the whole drainage idea?

What about a screen of some sort on top of the crushed rock, so that the pea gravel won't disappear into the crushed rock.

What about freezing temperatures. 20 below zero freezes everything pretty darn solid around here! I suppose if it freezes, it freezes. It will thaw in the spring.

Ideas? I know pea gravel has been discussed, but if you could just humor me. indifferent0001.gif

Oh, I have some pea gravel now in bags that I bought from Lowes a couple years ago. I took it into the barn and filled a round pan with it. I put Rosie's foot in it. She didn't know what to think at first, but pretty soon she was licking her lips, and kept her foot right there! After she tried to eat it, that is. rolleye0014.gif

BOARD BUDDY CLUB MEMBER I have met 33 board buddies!
MEMBER OF OZLAND SURVIVORS
MEMBER OF THE TURD POSSE - MSTRBKBHRWNS

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

http://www.allbreedp....com/hankie doc

PrettyRosie-1.jpgChiefforsiggy-1-1-2.jpgIMG_0194cropped-1.jpg
Rosie....................Chief...........................Jedi
Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

R.I.P. Snow Chief, August 25, 1980 - April 16, 2009
You were the best trail horse ever.

Old dogs and children, and watermelon wine...

#2 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

OK, I went looking and found the topic where it was discussed. http://forums.horsec...w...7056408&hl=

This helps. I think the idea of landscape fabric under the pea rock, might just work for me. I don't feed hay in the barn. Well, hardly ever. And I could just not do that anymore at all, or lay down something to keep the hay off the pea gravel.

Anyway, I might just do this! I have the money saved up and everything! happy0203.gif

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#3 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

If you could pick the poo daily, I think you could get away with it in your barn. Hay is the killer tho...never put hay in there.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#4 OneGrayHorse

OneGrayHorse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:18 AM

Poppys corral is pea gravel, all of it. I clean twice a day and the poo picks up great with a manure rake and the gravel falls back through. It's a real easy clean. I definitely would not put bedding over it, you'd be defeating your purpose. Could you just leave the RR ties down? I would think they would help to retain the pea gravel? I don't have a clue about the freezing weather and the effects it would have on the gravel. I would think though that the horse wouldn't be able to warm a spot up if laying on it. Maybe it would be to cold for winter bedding?

#5 Docslady

Docslady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:28 AM

Pea gravel is very good for barefoot horses as well as shod horses.
My farrier would like all his clients to use it.

We have it in the barn and the whole corral. It's expensive but even it could be in
the stall and/or around the water tank.

It's easy to clean up if you do it daily. Hay is not a good thing unless your horses eat up
every last hay twig.

Our horses all barefoot It takes about 1 year to get their hooves in good shape. I rarely
have thrush, since no mud or wet conditions. Use lime or another product for the urine.

#6 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:39 AM

OneGrayHorse, yes it's the winter I'm concerned about. Urine will freeze and I'll have ice covered, frozen in place pea gravel! I thought about this last night to the point where I didn't fall asleep well. I don't have heat in the barn, and it's just as cold in there as outside. And snow blows in, because the door is open for the horses to have free access...it's really a glorified run in, with four walls.

The RR ties cover the whole floor...they ARE the floor. I'd have to remove the RR ties, so that the floor would be lower, and the pea gravel would stay in there. If I leave them in, the pea gravel would be tracked outside.

So, now I'm having my doubts again. I might just have to have someone do the floor right, and maybe get stall skins on top.

I did really want the pea gravel for their hooves, though. Maybe I could put a platform of it outside somewhere.

Docslady, my water tank is in the barn. I suppose I COULD put pea gravel in those areas that they don't pee in...like next to the tank and in the entry way area. Actually, they don't poop in there all that much. It's mostly pee.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#7 bex DK

bex DK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

What's the point of the barn? If it's the usual to give horses with 24/7 pasture access access to shelter, I wouldn't go for the gravel. They'd need somewhere they could lie down comfortably out of the weather adn gravel wouldn't do that. Here in Denmark, access to shelter with room for all is a legal requirement, although I doubt it is well enforced.

We're planning to put concrete on part of our shed (where they eat) with enough slope for good drainage then just leave the rest bare for the usual layer of straw in the winter.

Unfortunately Daisy didn't manage her usual training with this bunch, probably because she got two new horses too close together. In the past, she had always taught her pasture companions that the shed was NOT to be used for depositing manure. The ponies are still perfectly clean even now that they no longer share with her. But Ria and Quintas and now Tracy just haven't learned, although Daisy is still head of the herd.

#8 OneGrayHorse

OneGrayHorse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

Is your barn big enough to have both a gravel area and a bedded area? I use a RR tie in the doorway to keep my gravel and bedding seperate. She must walk over the rr tie to get from her stall (bedded) outside to her gravel turn out. I can still close the door to her stall if needed becouse the tie is on the inside.

edited to add..... I just read over your last responce about the freezing pee gravel (ha-ha sorry, couldn't help myself....) Don't you folks where it gets icy throw salt down to thaw the ice? hasn't there been mention on how salt is good for eliminating thrush and bacteria??? Would it work to keep the gravel thawed AND help Rosies feet?

Edited by OneGrayHorse, 26 May 2010 - 10:05 AM.

#9 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

One of the biggest plusses of Pea Gravel, is that it drains. The urine is going to be long gone before it freezes. I don't think frozen pea gravel is going to be a problem. Also, the comfort. You get it 4" deep and its like sitting on a bean bag chair, it molds and hugs them. I don't think there will be a discomfort problem.

Tearing up that floor sounds like a lot of work and expense. I even wonder if the landscape fabric is necessary. Its not going to go down through an already established floor..might fill the odd existing crack or low space, but not all sink in...you're out of the ravages of the weather in the barn. If your railroad ties are doing a good job of draining already, I would just go up and build on it. The pea gravel is a quick drain away, to the ties, which continue to drain, plus the stability of the ties themselves that lend to the floor. I'm thinking the landscape cloth as just another barrier to impede that drainage. Even if that pea gravel is only 2" thick and their feet are chewing through it, I see bare spots, but an existing railroad tie floor that continues to hold its own like it always has. If your railroad tie floor performs like I think it does, then you've got a fantastic base for pea gravel already.

#10 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

Hmmm....well, let's see if I can respond to some of this. OneGrayHorse, when it's 20 to 30 below zero, salt does not melt ice. It has to be warmer for that. Even when they salt the roads up here, they wait till it's around 20 above zero. They have chemicals that will melt ice at lower temperatures, I think, but I sure won't use that in the barn.

Now, if the pee drains quickly enough, I suppose it would be OK. But, I've seen puddles of pea frozen on the surface of my shavings in the winter. Not kidding. It freezes quickly!

Most winters, I don't get all the frozen shavings out till spring. It's frozen solid to the RR ties. I can pry it up with a pitchfork, and haul out huge sheets of frozen shavings, but it's a LOT of work! And most of the time, that won't even work. I'd need dynamite! In the spring, when it starts thawing, I can get it out.

It's very hard to clean the barn, the way my floor is now, with the spaces between the ties. The shavings I get now are small. I used to get nice big shavings that didn't clog up those spaces. It does not drain well now at all....at least it doesn't appear to. The spaces are loaded with rank, soiled shavings, and who knows what bacteria is breeding there. It's just too much work to try to clean those spaces out, and I can never get them cleaned out well.

My horses do lie down in the barn in the winter occasionally, and when it's very wet outside in the spring. Otherwise they lie down outside in the grass. My barn consists of two stalls and a larger area. One stall is always used to store hay that I throw down from the loft. I won't be redoing that floor at all. The other stall is used by Jedi (the pony). He goes in there to lie down. That stall is also used by both horses when the flies get bad. They stand head to tail in there, because that's the darkest place. And they pee in there.

Rosie takes over the larger area. That's where she may occasionally lie down, but I rarely see her doing that. She lies down outside most of the time, winter and summer. I use that area for grooming, cleaning feet, saddling, and other stuff.

I very rarely see any poop at all in the larger area. Jedi poops in his stall, the stinker. They both pee in the larger area a lot.

So, bottom line is that I don't get poop that isn't easily cleaned out every day. The pee is the problem.

dex, the point of my barn is shelter if the horses want it, or if they need to be confined. They don't have to go in there. The most they are in there is in the summer during the day, to escape the flies. That's when it's the biggest mess. Also, it's a place to store hay, and I have my tack room in there.

missy, actually tearing up the RR ties is the easiest part. They are not under the walls of the barn. We would just dig the ends a bit, hook on with the skidsteer and raise the ends up, and drag them out.

Leaving them in there and putting pea rock on top might be OK, but they would have to lowered so that the pea rock has somewhere to sit. Right now, the ties are level with the outside of doors. All the pea rock would just go out the doors!

And, like I said, the RR tie system is not draining well now. When we first put them in, it worked great. But we had big shavings then. This small stuff just defeats the whole purpose. It gets clogged into the grooves.

So, I suppose the pea rock wouldn't ALL disappear into the crushed rock that is now below the ties. If we added more crushed rock, allowing about 4 inches for the pea rock, it would work. That was my original plan. But then I started thinking about the freezing of the pee on the pea gravel.

I suppose if there are NO shavings, there would be nothing to stop the pee from soaking in before it freezes. Unlike shavings which make a barrier, allowing the pee to freeze. I don't even know if any place sells the right kind of pea rock around here. I'd have to make some phone calls. I don't want "pea sized gravel", I want round pea rock.

Hmmm.....more thinking.

Here is a layout of my barn. Where it says "Chief", that's Jedi's stall now.

ETA: I would do the large area (Rosie's) and Jedi's stall. Rosie's area is roughly 9 x14, and Jedi's is 9 x 10 feet. It's not that big, really.

Edited by Wild Rose, 26 May 2010 - 05:37 PM.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#11 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

Your setup sounds a lot like I want to do. I haven't allowed the horses free access to the barn yet. I too have to get my floor straightened out first, then change the layout. I like that you do not have the wasted space of a centre aisle. Sounds like it is best to tear them up, It's a big help to have some help and machinery to make the job easier. I'm thinking the base should have the ability to drain as good as or even better than the pea gravel to insure good drainage, to maybe even build a drain. I think once you get rid of the shavings, your icy impaction problem will lessen considerably. (I also suspect that once the shavings are gone and the gravel has upped the splash factor, they won't pee in there. I know for a fact that mine won't.) I'm seeing loose gravel that, for the most part is dry, the urine draining through well enough to minimize frozen pebbles that will break up for sure, the next time the horse steps on it. (wouldn't it be nice, that during barn spring cleaning time, you could pressure spray thru the gravel, have it drain right away and leave you with a clean floor?...I'm dreamin") I think the best idea would be to talk to a landscaper in your area. I think he'd have some good local advice for you and worth exploring. I plan on doing the same.

Keep those railroad ties! The come in handy!

I can't put pea gravel in my barn. I want a roof for my large hay rolls and they're getting fed in there. What I have now is 20 years of lower, compacted clay, covered by felts off a paper machine and shavings on top of that. Its worked well for the basically outdoor life they've lived, but 3 stormy days in there and we're all looking forward to fleeing and not looking back! The coverings have kept the floor flat, though, no wallows ever, so its in good shape atleast. Sounds like you've got a better start on the barn pathology problem than I though, rotf.gif

Edited by missyclare, 26 May 2010 - 08:43 PM.

#12 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:32 AM

Missy, I thought of the "splash factor", too. They might not pee in there at all! Wouldn't that be great! I would sometimes leave the floor bare of shavings to let it dry out after cleaning. One time I left it like that for a couple days....and no pee! Of course, that was on RR ties, not pea rock. But I always felt like they needed something on the floor for bedding.

Yes, we have that skidsteer, and a tractor, trucks all over the place, and various hoists, so it won't be too much manual labor. My son said he'd help, too! I don't think my hubby wanted to help at all, until my son said he would. My son said figure out whatever I wanted to do, and he'd do it.

Yes, I could pressure wash the floors in the summer, too, on a lower setting so that I don't blast everything out! I plan on pressure washing between the ties before we even start, so that I CAN blast all that bacteria laden stuff out. I don't want that to end up mixed in with the crushed rock when the ties are removed.

Missy, you need a separate building for your hay rolls. But I suppose that would mean more work to get the hay to the horses, if they eat in the barn.

My horses are definitely outside critters. Even in the coldest, wettest, worst weather, they prefer to be outside. I have put hay inside when it's 30 below zero with wind, but I really think that's just to make ME feel better. As long as I get my men in the work mode, I should have them build a lean to or windbreak of some sort outside of the barn for those days.

If I do this, I sure hope I don't regret it as far as the horses wanting to lie down in on it. Little Jedi loves his stall for resting.

Well, I'm off to google pea rock, and see if I can figure out how many cubic yards I'd need. I know I need more crushed rock, too.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#13 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

I just thought of something. Will the horses try to roll on the pea gravel? My horses do not roll in the barn now, but I'm wondering if the pea gravel will feel so good that the horses might try to roll and get cast.

Also, what about pawing? Will the pea gravel get mixed up with the crushed rock if they paw deep enough? Maybe there should be something between the crushed rock and the pea gravel, like sand.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#14 OneGrayHorse

OneGrayHorse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

I think if you put sand down it will stay wetter longer than just the pea gravel on top of the rock. They'll paw a little at first to "check it out", but pretty sure that won't last to long. They may also try rolling in it, but what I've found with Poppy is she lays down to roll and in the process ends up making a depression in the gravel that stops her from rolling all the way over. For your own peice of mind you could nail a 2x4 board up on your stall side walls that would enable the horses to "push off" in the case they did get cast.

#15 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

Thanks, OneGrayHorse. That makes sense about the rolling. My horses don't paw in the barn now, so I suppose once they got over the newness of the pea gravel, they wouldn't.

I just came back from Lowes, and they have some kind of landscape screen...can't remember the name exactly. But, it's 1/4" metal screen. I could lay that down over the crushed rock, too. That's about 18.00 for a roll that's 36" by 10'. That way, even if some pea gravel gets through into the crushed rock, at least the crushed rock won't come up into the pea gravel. This screen would allow drainage better than landscape fabric would, too.

I still have to call around and see who has pea gravel in this area. I called one place where we've gotten pea gravel before, but had to leave a message.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#16 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

twitch.gif Pea rock and crushed rock will be delivered tomorrow morning!!

Now, I'm a little scared. I hope I'm not making a big mistake with this. We won't start on it right away, though. Have to wait till my son has a couple days off. This weekend is my daughter's 2nd birthday party.

ETA: Make that my GRAND daughter's 2nd birthday! Man, I'm rattled.

Edited by Wild Rose, 27 May 2010 - 01:24 PM.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#17 bex DK

bex DK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

Good luck! Let us know ohw it goes!

Ours is just one big room in the shed with space on the side for tie up at feed troughs. Then in the back we have a box for training, in case someone gets sick, etc. We added that after the one mare got bit by a poisonous snake and needed a couple days of rest... we missed having a space. And a narrow hall on the one side for storing feed and feeding. Our ground is pretty much just sand, so that's what's under whatever we use inside. We had shavings in the bottom of the box and straw on top when the ponies used it for foaling. Just straw int he main area. We have space for hay inside but only use it in the coldest weather. Mostly they go outside to the round bale feeder that we keep in the opposite ned of the pasture to keep them moving.

Even when it is snowing or raining, they'd rather be outside. But the law now requires access to shelter, so we built to meet the expected standards and probably have more space than that. I don't think the ponies were in except to eat all winter and that was with deep snow and ice.

#18 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

bex, you have poisonous snakes in Denmark? Somehow I wouldn't have thought you did. We don't have any where I live. In the southern part of Minnesota there are some, though.

I will take pictures as things progress. Could be a comedy of errors, me thinks! rotf.gif

ETA; I had to change it to Denmark. I first put Norway. duh.gif

Edited by Wild Rose, 27 May 2010 - 01:45 PM.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#19 OneGrayHorse

OneGrayHorse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Wild Rose @ May 27 2010, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
twitch.gif Pea rock and crushed rock will be delivered tomorrow morning!!

Now, I'm a little scared. I hope I'm not making a big mistake with this. We won't start on it right away, though. Have to wait till my son has a couple days off. This weekend is my daughter's 2nd birthday party.

ETA: Make that my GRAND daughter's 2nd birthday! Man, I'm rattled.

Oh my gosh, you seriously had me laughing out loud! You'll be fine and I'm sure your going to be very happy in the end with the wonderful results you'll see.

Now relax and enjoy the adventure huggy.gif

#20 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, I hope we all keep our sense of humor when we get going with this. crazy.gif

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#21 bex DK

bex DK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:18 AM

Yeah, we have one kind. We actually found a piece of one when walking the sick mare to try to figure out what was wrong... so that confirmed the vet's suspicions. It was spring and a small one and that's when they're nastiest--youngsters just out of hibernation and not killed anything yet. Otherwise we rarely see them. On the road once in awhile. Have to watch some when we ride areas theyre likely to sun and trust the horses if they refuse something. Quintas was pretty young then and probably did something stupid. But it was only a piece we found, so one of them had killed it good.

Our weahter isn't what you'd expect for as far north as we are. In general, we're more mellow than in Eastern PA where I grew up. The sea on three sides moderates the temperature. We're a five minute ride to the coast in one direction and about a half hour drive in two others. And we're not far enough north for it to be night all winter. We get 4-5 hours of daylight in the darkest winter and a few hours of dusk in the lightest summer.

More rain than snow but plenty of WIND.

#22 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:40 AM

That's interesting information about Denmark, bex. I can understand it not being that cold with the oceans so close. Where I am, we are landlocked, and the temperatures can just plunge in the winter! When it gets cold quickly our trees snap and pop, even! It sounds like rifle shots!

We get around 8 or 9 hours of daylight in the dead of winter. In the summer we have daylight from around 5 am to almost 10 at night, during the longest days...that's about 17 hours.

Stay away from those snakes!

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#23 Prancer&Onyx

Prancer&Onyx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

WR - My mare LOVES to roll in the pea gravel! When I get back from a trail ride and put her out that's the first place she goes! I ditto keeping hay off the gravels. I've learned that (the hard way). I did use landscape fabric under our pea gravel to keep it from mixing with the mud/dirt and I'm wondering if it's hindered the draining. So I'm kinda back to the drawing boards. If you use the metal stuff and you find it works well, will you post what it is...I will be redoing my pea gravel area prolly this fall and am looking for new ideas! Thanks.

#24 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

I sure will, prancer. I'm pretty sure it was called landscape screen, but I'll post it when I find out for sure. It's just metal screen with 1/4" holes on a roll...17.97 a roll from Lowes. It's 36" x 10'. I don't know how tough it is. Hopefully tough enough to hold up. But then where is it going to go under the pea rock.

Well, my load of crushed rock finally came! There was a problem with the loader, so it took longer. Man, that's a big pile! I'm going to have more than enough. So far the cost of this project has been $200. My pea rock will be delivered on Tuesday, and that should be around $80.

I hope my horses don't roll on it in the barn. There's really not a lot of room in there for rolling.

This is what 7 cubic yards of crushed rock looks like! I figured it out and it came to 6.72 cubic yards for 272 sq. ft., 8 inches deep. But, I have some crushed rock already in the barn, under the ties. I will have plenty! shocked.gif

Edited by Wild Rose, 28 May 2010 - 12:52 PM.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#25 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,274 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:43 AM

prancer, I was at the store again, and looked at that screen. It's called Hardware Cloth.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist