Quantcast

Photo

Natural Remedies For Stress And Hormone Balance?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cowgurlxxxx

cowgurlxxxx

ride hard or go home!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

What are some natural herbs used for hormonal balance in mares? Also, herbs that aid in stress or ulcers?
I looked at the Silver Lining products, but I really dont want to pay that much money..So, if I can find the main herbs that do they job I can mix my own. Any suggestions?

So far Ive found this:
hormonal balance: Dong Quai, Slippery Elm, Valerian Root
stress: Rose Hips

#2 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

Raspberry Leaves...that is the only ingredient in Mare Magic. I could get it for $5 a pound on the internet.
If you say nothing to a horse, you mean nothing to a horse.-Robert Dover
Proud owner of:
"This Charming Man"-Winston: 20 year old, bay, Appendix QH, Semi-retired, but still working and being rotten:-) The boss man!
"Bend it Like Beckham"-Beckham: 7 year old, black, Perch/TB. Showing Second Level and schooling Third.
"Grand Temptress Shelby-Shelby: 15 year old, bay, Oldenburg. Second and Third Level.

"You will never get to Grand Prix waving a carrot stick at a Warmblood."

#3 cowgurlxxxx

cowgurlxxxx

ride hard or go home!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Thanks!
Anything for stress??

#4 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

The leaves contain magnesium which is supposed to help relax the muscles, etc.
Proud owner of:
"This Charming Man"-Winston: 20 year old, bay, Appendix QH, Semi-retired, but still working and being rotten:-) The boss man!
"Bend it Like Beckham"-Beckham: 7 year old, black, Perch/TB. Showing Second Level and schooling Third.
"Grand Temptress Shelby-Shelby: 15 year old, bay, Oldenburg. Second and Third Level.

#5 Hoof-N-It

Hoof-N-It

• Members
  • Pip
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Flax Seed is supposed to also be good for mares, and stress. All the Omega-3's in there is good for adding energy to a horse without getting them stressed so they are able to focus. It is a natural calmer for horses and people. I buy it in bulk at my local feed store and a local bulk food store, its pretty cheap. I grind it up daily (it doesn't hold nutritional values long once ground) and feed 1/2C daily. Horses love the taste. Lots of benefits from Flax Seed.

Edited by Hoof-N-It, 14 June 2010 - 12:22 PM.

I'm so confused...wait, mabye not!

#6 Diamond Jake

Diamond Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

I think the reason they charge more is because there is some education to the mix they put together. I would just caution you mixing your own.

Some of the herbs work great for calming. Maybe you could shop around for better pricing?
Forever in my heart, Molly, October 2006
Jake, 1997 Morab gelding
Stella, 2003 Doberman

#7 cowgurlxxxx

cowgurlxxxx

ride hard or go home!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

I feed flax seed, but not in a large enough amount to calm my mare. I hope to find a few herbs that make a difference without breaking the bank or causing unwanted side effects.

Any other recommendations?

#8 Apps4Life

Apps4Life

Chief Turd Burglar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

I've been feeding raspberry leaves to my mares and have seen a bit of improvement with a couple.

I've also read that chamomile can have calming effects, but you're not supposed to give it on a continual basis... more like a couple days prior to an event and the day of the event.

I've also heard Milk of Magnesia, but that's not a herb per se.
Posted Image

BBs Met: ShezaSmokinGun, Mule_Freak's mom =), Kristina, Demon's Mom, SpottedT, MUT, Ratts, Notyo, HFF (and Bella), Pinky, Chey, Lora, Lash, Tuck, BB Blue, Hoofs In Motion, Got Barrels?, Meeker, Tuper, The Sugar Lady, Harley, journeysgirl, BuddyRoo, KatieMay, MizParker, DiamondJake, QuarterFlash, Andi, SweetAddiction, RunninColors, SCSpots, Heidi and FLEquus!

RIP Misty, thank you for teaching me so much

~Samantha~
My Tack for Sale

#9 cowgurlxxxx

cowgurlxxxx

ride hard or go home!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

Well raspberry leaves it is! No side effect?
A friend of mine uses rose hips, but I'm not sure for what...

#10 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

I never saw side effects with the raspberry leaves:-)
Proud owner of:

#11 KrazyTBMare

KrazyTBMare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,073 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

You can research the different nervine herbs to see what may be helpful. I have had my mare on passion flower, hops, raspberry leaves, and a few others over the years. My girlfriend is very well versed in herbal and homeopathic treatments so I pickher brain often.

This is a good website that talks about the different herbs for horses and what they can help balance, etc

http://www.naturally...rbalindex.shtml

Chamomile is good for horses who are the nervous, high strung type. It helps soothe the stomach as well as calm the horse without making it "dozy".

Hops is good for horses who bottle in the nervous energy and then it is released with nervous energy, liek weaving or stall walking. Also if you horse tends to get loose manure when stressed, this is a good herb.

Vervain may be another good one for you as it helps with calming but also with coating the stomach.l