• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rnnthesun

rnnthesun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

I need to re-do my fence. I currently have wood corner braces w/ wood "H" braces. The woven wire (field fence) is warped from horses leaning on it. I also have put up hot wire around the top...to prevent further damage. The wood posts need to be replaced, t-posts re-driven and fence re-stretched. surrender.gif

I have used aluminum posts for corner and in-line brace posts before, but want to reduce cost and labor if possible.

I've seen the ads, been to the web site, etc... but haven't seen these in use, nor can I find anyone who has used them. They either aren't strong enough, or they are the best kept secret just waiting to make a hit and become super popular.

Let me know, the good and the bad and the ugly about this system.

Thanks!
Slave to: 1 daughter, 1 horse and 1 dog!
Ride, Rinse, Repeat

#2 spacytracy

spacytracy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

We use them and really like them. My hubby put them in and it didn't seem extremely difficult. They carry them at our Tractor Supply. If your store doesn't carry them you can do free ship to store from their website. They also carry them at Valley Vet, I think. And they have free shipping over like $50, so we got a few. We bought the kits.

We don't have any metal posts on our property. The reason? Its extremely rocky and its just a PITA to drive anything into the ground.

I can snap a few shots tomorrow when I turn the horses out. If I forget just PM me - my mind is sludge.

#3 Guilherme

Guilherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

We tried these several years ago. They are "light duty" fencing solution. As long as you don't put any reall stress on the fence they are OK. If you tighten up the fencing material too much you will not have a good result.

These work best with horses that are well "fence broke."

G.

Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

#4 rnnthesun

rnnthesun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

I plan to keep the hot wire--to keep my gelding "fence broke". And there's only the one horse now, so they aren't running into it, etc.

Guilherme-What do you mean by pulling the fence too tight? Did it bend the posts?

Spacy-photos would be great!

I appreciate both of your time and input! I need all the info/help I can get... :)
Ride, Rinse, Repeat

#5 spacytracy

spacytracy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

Here ya go rnthesun -
Tilt your head to the right, lol - this is my gate opening - I use spring gates

Same gate opening

Tilt your head to the left,lol - This is my one corner post

This is a dry lot. I have 4 strands of electric tape. You can also see that my husband put wire to brace it even more.

Hope that helps!

#6 Guilherme

Guilherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (rnnthesun @ Jun 29 2010, 02:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guilherme-What do you mean by pulling the fence too tight? Did it bend the posts?

No, you can easily bend/break the bracing pieces.

As long as you don't have Paul Bunyan coming in to tighten your fence you should do OK! winking0073.gif

G.

Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

#7 rnnthesun

rnnthesun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

Thanks!!! I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip the whole digging holes, pouring concrete, setting posts...and go w/ wedge lock.

Spacytracy: What length t-posts did you go with? What did your husband attach the wire to? and what gauge wire did he use?

And no, it will be me pulling the wire w/ my truck--not anything like Paul Bunyan!

Thanks again!!!! :)
Ride, Rinse, Repeat

#8 spacytracy

spacytracy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:51 PM

We used 6 ft Tposts - the same as what we dug in the ground. You have to whack the blades off the bottom of the Tpost of course.

He used a thick gauge of wire, lol. He doesn't remember but its the galvanized. Not aluminum.
I'll check if I go down to the barn tonight.
He attached them to the collars of the wedgeloc. He said if you get wire tensioners it would be easier, he did it by hand.

#9 daphne

daphne

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

we used them at our old house. worked ok, until they started to pull up fromt he ground. the problem we ran into was we used woven wire and when tthe horses would lean on the fence ( of course they have to get the greener grass) anyhow it pulled up. we were constantly redriving the posts back into the ground. Now it would work for what spacey showed, but for woven wire i don't recommend it.

We have came up with something new and it works very well.I know you don't want to dig holes for corner posts, but hubby cut down some really nice locust trees, made a few corner posts, and instead of using a brace wire like normall he went to the local saw mill and got a a small load of slat lumber for 10 dollars. we used this slat boards as braces. We just nailed it up ther on the corner posts and it really works.
moons iron scooter-aqha bay mare
destin to moon ya-aqha chestnut gelding
the judge is blind-ibha/apha dun stallion
tator salad- bay gelding
failure to appear- ibha dun gelding
trash talkin hoochie- aqha buckskin filly/ibha pending
comet- cheys new morgan cross pony
Don't touch my butt -apha pending filly
, cash
"RIP" sissy, and cowgirl you will always be loved and missed
RIP twisty-2000 to2009 You left us way to early. We miss you so much. You will always be loved
"RIP" Magic-1986-2009 You were my first ever barrel horse- I was there when you came into this world-im so sorry i was not there when you left. I love you. You will live on in the kids you left me.
"RIP"mooner-im sorry i could not heal your leg. I know that you are running up there with your mama and sister.
"GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA RODEO"