9 replies to this topic

#1 lopen28

lopen28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

Have a horse with an injury on the upper outside part of his leg. ANY ideas on keeping a bandage up there? We are going to try a pair of tights or panty hose this afternoon......

We've tried vet wrap and tape, using a shoulder slinky and standing wrap, we though about "stacking" the bandages....but changing it every day, that sounds like a big mess. I know it's just a tough spot to bandage. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
"I'm not a horse trainer, I'm a horseman.
What’s the difference?
A horse trainer trains horses;
a horseman trains himself."
– Chris Cox

Posted Image

Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who matter don't mind.
And those who mind don't matter. -- Dr. Seuss

#2 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

What kind of injury is it? Aside from stack wraps, the only other way to keep a bandage in that area is to suture it to the skin. Its kind of a neat trick though....Suture through one side of skin, pass over the bandage, suture through the other side and by tying the ends, you compress the bandage against the wound.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#3 daisysmom

daisysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Shave the hair at the top and bottom of the bandage and run some elasikon around the bandage to secure it to the leg. You might not have enough room between the legs but use the muscling on the forearm to help prevent it from sliding down.

#4 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

I would NOT bandage the upper arm. It never stays up and the way it creeps down just irritates the wound further. Have you tried that spray on "New Skin" as a protective coating? That or anything you can sray on to keep it dry and fly-free is really all that's necessary.

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#5 lopen28

lopen28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

Well, the vet came out and stitched it up...knowing they most likely won't stay stitched, it's more to act as a natural bandage right now to hopefully hold until that tissue granulates. Vet said to keep it bandaged because of flies and to draw out the drainage. He said he knows it's hard to keep a bandage on but do the best we can. So that's what we're trying to do. Just trying to find a way to KEEP that sucker there. I've never head of New Skin. I'll have to look into that more. I have heard of Elastikon but have never used it. So I'll look into that too. Using panty hose doesn't work by the way....lol. Sure looked silly and gave us a laugh....but did not hold it up.

CVM...not sure about suturing through the skin since there is a lot of drainage and it needs to be changed every day or every other day. I never would have thought of that though....intersting....I've got some pictures I'll post n a bit of the injury before and after vet.
What’s the difference?
– Chris Cox

Posted Image

#6 lopen28

lopen28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

This is a few days after......

What’s the difference?
– Chris Cox

Posted Image

#7 Sprite's Mom

Sprite's Mom

In the beginning, God created

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

A vet showed me this. Take a piece of adhesive tape. Tape it long ways on the leg. (As in running up and down the leg.) Take another piece, and put it opposite the first. Both pieces should be longer than the area you want to bandage. Now, take a roll of gauze, and start to wrap it around the wound. Do not completely cover the tape you put on! As you're winding the gauze, bring the top of the tape down, and the bottom of the tape up so it's incorporated into the wrapping. Then, cover this w/vet wrap.

I've done this on a few horses, and I think it only slipped on one. But, that horse was a pain to put it on in the first place. It wouldn't hold still while I was wrapping it.

#8 daisysmom

daisysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Elastikon is the flesh colored tape. Run a couple of wraps of elastikon on the top and bottom of the bandage to the clipped skin than rub your hands around it to help seal it. I would wrap all the way down past the knee to help immobilize the leg and keep him from moving around.

#9 lopen28

lopen28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

Sprite's mom, I am SO trying that tomorrow! THanks for the great idea!

Daisysmom, he is in a small stall and not able to move much but I think you're right, I will wrap past the knee so he isn't so willing to wander around his stall. He really hasn't been lame or sore at all with it which is good and makes things easier. Just the danged movement making those bandages fall.
What’s the difference?
– Chris Cox

Posted Image

#10 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

I personally would've put mattress sutures in to help relieve the tension, but that's just me..... Anytime it can be sutured, that's better than bandaging. So hopefully you can keep the horse confined and not too active for the next 2 weeks.

The benefit of the skin-to-skin sutured bandage is you can simply loosen your sutures, remove old bandaging, replace new and then retighten the knots. Makes a difference as to which TYPE of suture is used though. Another potential--for similar wounds that COULDN'T be sutured would be an amnion dressing. Made from the amnion from placenta, its simply sutured to the wound edges. But that means you or your vet would need frozen amnion sections.....

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com