• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 *Farm Girl*

*Farm Girl*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

Which do you pefer ? Mare or Gelding? And why? It depends with me .I have a mare that I love to death . And a gelding that is my bud for life .Couldn't live without either of them .

Edited by *Farm Girl*, 25 July 2010 - 07:51 AM.

God Bless the Trails You Ride!

#2 Zeusyboy

Zeusyboy

Life Is Better At A Gallop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:55 AM

I'm going to say geldings, because right now I have 2 geldings that are lifers, and no chance of getting another horse anytime soon.

BUT, I've owned mares, and I didn't see a difference in gender. Each horse has their quirks, and personalities. I don't look at gender when looking for a horse. Stallions aren't out of my search area either.

smileywavey.gif It's personality over gender for me.
ASHLEY
Theres no such thing as PEOPLE with HORSE issues, Just HORSES with PEOPLE issues. - Buck Brannaman
Even though you've been Bucked, Kicked Bit and Stomped... Never Give Up....
Silly Boys..Trucks Are For Girls
I Haven't Got A Pot To Pee In, Or Even A Window To Throw It Out Of..
I FINALLY Met A Board Buddy - Mudder, Taglet, Barnboss

#3 Mia'sMom

Mia'sMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

I've always owned mares and I love them. I think that they tend to be more attached to individuals than geldings are. On the other hand, I've known a few geldings that were totally sweethearts with great personalities that I sure wouldn't have minded owning. I've been thinking for quite a while that my next horse, my "old age" horse, should be an older gelding.

There are pros and cons of both, and I think some people's personalities may work better with one or the other sex. Of course, like me, it also may just be what you're used to. I tend to enjoy both people and animals who have a bit of attitude, so mares have fit the bill for me so far!

It is a matter of personality for me, I have never bred a mare and couldn't care less about a horse's ability to reproduce. I just love horses that have some "look at me" air about them.
Horses: the best and cheapest therapy - Good for what ails ya'!

#4 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

I like mares - I do think they form a stronger one-on-one bond, probably because of the reproduction issue. I also think mares are thinkers, but that may just be my mares, lol. I certainly know some wonderful geldings, but I prefer female animals as a rule.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#5 JakesMom

JakesMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

I like a gelding better, I own two currently. I have owned two mares, one I just did not like and could not bond with her she was moody and really marish when she was in. The other mare was really sweet and had had some hard issues and I liked her a lot, but when it came to down sizing due to a layoff and job change the mares were sold, not the geldings.

I love my two dudes.

My friend on the other hand always has mares. She had the sweetest three year old gelding and a three year old filly she calls "bottle rocket" and when she had to down size the gelding went, not the filly. I have known her for 25 years and she always rides a mare.

JakesMom
Jakes Mom

Good horses come in all colors, I want one of each!!

#6 Kyra

Kyra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

In general, definitely geldings. The horses I've bonded with have always been geldings. But i don't dislike mares, they just aren't my favorites. There are plenty of good mares that aren't very moody. I own 2 mares,and one is the sweetest horse and the other not so much, but she's very smart and fun to ride.

I also don't like the dull geldings that have no hormones left and just don't do anything! I like the livelier more stud like geldings. I always seem attracted to the dominant, hard headed ones!

Posted Image
My best friends; Joe, Barra, Dollar, Luna,Hank, Morning and Reena
And one spunky,animated Quarab,Smoke
My Dogs;Chessa and Reese
*RIP* Dobbin. I love you so much!1982-Nov.15 2005
*RIP* Bitsy. Love you!1968-July 19,2006
*RIP* Bella. You are missed!1987-Feb.8,2008
*RIP* Skittles.

#7 meeker_gurl8789

meeker_gurl8789

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

I prefer mares BUT right now i havea gelding and so far i believe hawk is my first real tight bond ive ever formed with a horse.. I wish he was taller hed be MY perfect horse. Hes not scared of anything and fallows me anywhere. I KNOW i can trust him arround the lil ones and not worry hes going to kick ect

Proud owner of
WR Shades Of Phire 2004 Bay Arabian mare
Little Hawk 2008 champaigne Miniature horse Gelding
AM Rain Maker 2013 bay Arabian gelding

Itsy Bitsy 1996 Bay Arabian mare

#8 *Farm Girl*

*Farm Girl*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

I like both, like others said it's the personality. My mare has a sweet, calm, a bit of a''look at me'', but can be a turd sometimes personality. And for my little rescue guy he is full of personality.I am teaching him tricks .So far he can pick up a sponge & working on smiling. We have a CLOSE bond . And with the mare we have a good bond too.

#9 rnnthesun

rnnthesun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

I've had 3 mares and 4 geldings. I've only had one gelding that I didn't quite get along with. His personality and mine just didn't click. Riding him was work, he thought he should be in charge. He was a spectacular horse. Great breeding, absolutely the most gorgeous horse I've ever seen. Smart, graceful, collected naturally, huge, great muscling, smooth gaits, could do wp, hus, trail, jump, etc. He and my daughter had a great relationship. We still compare other horse's beauty to him--"Not as pretty as..."

My current gelding is the sweetest thing! He's constant. He has moments when he wants to test me, but they all do, and he gives in easily. He only wants to please. He is my bestest pal! LOVE HIM!

My arab mare was beautiful, smart and she took great care of me--hated to sell her.

The grade mare I had was so sweet and was able to learn that we don't have to run everywhere, but she tore a muscle in her hip and would never be good for more than light riding. I never knew when she was in season...and now she is a reset mare, so she does have seasons and is a great mommy.

The 3 Bars QH mare I had was psycho. I think it was from her up-bringing more than gender...she was 14 and had never been cantered under saddle. When I asked the previous owner about her canter, she said, "Why would you need to canter?" But she was an absolute tramp when she was in season. Horrible to deal with.

I prefer geldings, because you don't have to worry about hormones. But I choose a horse for it's brain/disposition. If I was considering buying a mare, I'd be sure to see her attitude when in season before purchase. My hormones are enough...and if you're on the same cycle as your mare...Ugh! Better to just stay in bed. :)
Slave to: 1 daughter, 1 horse and 1 dog!
Ride, Rinse, Repeat

#10 *Farm Girl*

*Farm Girl*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

My parents have gelding thats a total jug head. But thats just his personality.My mare when she is in her cycle she is just as nice when not in her cycle . If not sweeter. She will take care of me .

#11 WarPony

WarPony

Teeny Tiny Equine Of DOOOM!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

I always seem to prefer being around male animals. male people, too, for that matter. I love my mare, and I really do have a good relationship with her, probably better than the relationship with my mini gelding, but it took a LOT longer to develop and is mostly related to her work ethic.
Warpony's blog! ... Warpony's Etsy Shop

“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.” ~ Dr. Gregory House

#12 Norcalracer88

Norcalracer88

Raised City, Born Country

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

I would have to say Mares. I've only ever had them. I agree that they tend to bond a little deeper then geldings would but I have friends who seem to have the same bond with their geldings as I do with my mare. I think the main thing I like about my mares are the different attitudes I get. My mare doesnt have "marish" moments, none of the mares ive owned have. I also like the thought (since I show) that if anything were to happen to my mare that would make it so I couldnt ride her competitively anymore I could still breed and get a foal that I could show.

Owned By
Decco Double O Cat "SEVEN" 5y/o APHA Gelding LOVE OF MY LIFE!!
Reggie 4yo female Bordercollie Aussie mix my agility prospect
Lucy 7y/o AKC Chow Chow my couch potato
Rosemarry 17y/o Black Cat my best friend RIP 1996-2013
[/size]

Proud Member of the I LOVE JASPER Fan Club #2

HSCGA2.jpg

#13 Catlow

Catlow

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

Mares, hands down. No sheaths to clean, and if they have to be in a tie stall, all the mess is in one place. And in case of career-ending injury, she can produce her own replacement.
"Paradoxically enough, the release of initiative and enterprise made possible by popular self-government ultimately generates disintegrating forces from within. Again and again after freedom has brought opportunity and some degree of plenty, the competent become selfish, luxury-loving and complacent, the incompetent and the unfortunate grow envious and covetous, and all three groups turn aside from the hard road of freedom to worship the Golden Calf of economic security.

The historical cycle seems to be: From bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to apathy; from apathy to dependency; and from dependency back to bondage once more.

At the stage between apathy and dependency, men always turn in fear to economic and political panaceas. New conditions, it is claimed, require new remedies. Under such circumstances, the competent citizen is certainly not a fool if he insists upon using the compass of history when forced to sail uncharted seas. Usually so-called new remedies are not new at all. Compulsory planned economy, for example, was tried by the Chinese some three milleniums ago, and by the Romans in the early centuries of the Christian era. It was applied in Germany, Italy and Russia long before the present war broke out. Yet it is being seriously advocated today as a solution of our economic problems in the United States. Its proponents confidently assert that government can successfully plan and control all major business activity in the nation, and still not interfere with our political freedom and our hard-won civil and religious liberties. The lessons of history all point in exactly the reverse direction"

--- Henning Webb Prentis, Jr (March 18, 1943)

#14 mydakota

mydakota

Ex-Con

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

I have had a few of both, and currently own a mare and a gelding. All of my mares have been well behaved when in season. Macai is the only one you could even tell was IN season if you didn't look, and she is still well-behaved. I honestly think most mares will be well behaved when in season if you don't allow it to be an excuse for them. I think sometimes that us gals, because we know how our hormones can make us feel, will cut the mare some behavioral slack that we shouldn't, and she naturally takes advantage. Not saying always. Just sometimes. I think if we insisted that they all behave like normal when in season--most of them would.

I would like to say that mare or gelding doesn't matter to me. It is all about personality and ability. In truth, I will own and ride either. But my three favorite horses of all time are all geldings. Right now, this minute, I can tell you my mare is safer, quieter, more reliable, more experienced, and much, much easier. But if I could only keep one? It would be my gelding. No question.
I got 2 wonderful horses at Emerald Valley Equine Assistance Horse Rescue.
Dakota-6 year old bay Quarab gelding
Macai-17 year old black Arab mare

May your horse never stumble, your cinch never break
Your belly never grumble, your heart never ache.

Until you learn to always take care of your horse before you take care of yourself, your horse can never be expected to take care of you. (Grandpa Thompson)

R.I.P. Kelso, Half Arab gelding B ? 1961, D 12-17-94 my companion for 23 years.
R.I.P. Nerak, Arabian gelding B March 1973, D 2-14-00 my companion for 25 years.
I will listen for your hoofbeats in heaven.

I met a few board buddies! MondaesMom, Andi, Audrey Mae, Silverdreamer3, Red Ripley, Beaucephus, Desperate Horsewife, Rodentra, Mrs. , xpasocorto, Scapoose, Paca Paca, Adoro Reina, Remy, LightningStrikesTwice and Quarterflash!

#15 QuarterHorseHunta

QuarterHorseHunta

Shmer.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

Mares, for me at least. However, i've known mares that i've butted heads with and geldings that i loved. For example, i love my little colt but he's just so easy to predict. I really like the challenge and the intelligence and the personality about mares. So much more opinionated.
-Becky

Hollywood Illusion "Illia/Illya" 2002 15hh Paint Mare Video :]
Indy June 1, 2009 Bay Overo Colt Video :D

#16 WarPony

WarPony

Teeny Tiny Equine Of DOOOM!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

QUOTE (Catlow @ Jul 25 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mares, hands down. No sheaths to clean, and if they have to be in a tie stall, all the mess is in one place.

lol. I know she is really an exception to the rule but I would take sheath cleaning over my mare's issues any day.

Her gunk between her teats is as foul as the boy's sheaths, and on top of that when she is in heat she coats her back end in urine... thick reeking mare squirt that reeks, makes her all sticky, and if I don't keep her coated in bag balm leaves her scalded and bald all between her butt cheeks and down her legs. And to top it off, she backs up to my cob and squirts his front legs, so I have to scrub that gross stuff out of his feather, too. And the "mare in heat" smell doesn't just wash off. It lingers. Yuck.

She also totally trashes a box stall when she is kept in one. The TWH mare I had when I was a teen was the cleanest horse ever, she did all her business in one tiny corner and never walked stuff into the bedding, but Mary... UGH! If she can't walk it in she paws the manure and wet straw away from the wall. I've never had her in a tie stall but in a box stall she is more of a pig than any horse I have ever known (and I used to work at a farm where I helped clean 80 stalls a day, so that is saying something!).

The funny thing is, though, even though I prefer boys, and she is really rank for a mare when it comes to reproductive cycle issues... she is still one of my favorite horses of all time. When you find a special one "how they have their plumbing run" doesn't really matter.
Warpony's blog! ... Warpony's Etsy Shop

“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.” ~ Dr. Gregory House

#17 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,674 posts

I've ridden some great geldings, but I've ridden better mares. I just tend to prefer a good mare versus a good gelding. I have owned both. The riding stables I worked at for four years owned geldings exclusively. Before that I rode at a university where I rode both genders. I've ridden hundreds of horses. Although I would never turn away a good gelding, I prefer to own mares given the choice.

#18 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

My Sky Pony was a mare and after the first few years I wouldn't have traded her for anything. That said, overall, I prefer geldings. Obviously, it depends on individual personalities. Overall though I think you can have an amazing relationship with a mare if you have the time. Perfect as a kid that spend 3 or 4 hours a day at the barn minimum, not so great now that I can't always give my life over to my horse. I find it easier to establish a good relationship with a gelding in less time. Plus, I do enjoy the sense of humor that I see more often in geldings.

Off the top of my head I would say I prefer male dogs as well. That's usually what I look for. Funny to say though, as my all time two closest relationships with dogs have been with the only two b*****s I've owned, but both of them were a lot more work.

So I guess I think females generally have more pay off, if you're willing to put in the effort, but neutered/gelded males are easier...

Obviously, those are broad generalizations and each animal is different.

Edited by ExtraHannah, 25 July 2010 - 07:48 PM.

Cadence Rhythm Beads is now on:
Facebook
and on
PhotoBucket

#19 Runnin'Colors

Runnin'Colors

Ridin' Like I Stole It!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

A good horse can be any gender. I currently have 2 geldings, and 2 mares.
I started out with mares, I have owned 5 of them. I have owned 1 stud(but was gelded and rode for several more years as gelding) and 2 geldings.
The geldings are easier to handle and not nearly as moody. They are both the same whether you handle them daily or monthly.

My young one(turns 6 next month) I had gelded at 6months old, and he was born broke and is now safe enough for anyone to ride and is a near bomb proof trail horse. I own his half sister, and we haven't started breaking her yet. We have saddled her and done tons of groundwork, the same as I did with her brother. She seems to forget from work session to work session, what we learned previosly.

I trained the gelding completely by myself. The filly is going to a trainer.

He has never bucked, reared, or taken off under saddle. I am quite sure it is going to take tons more work to insure that the filly doesn't do all three things on the first ride.

If I were looking for a horse to buy another horse, I would be reluctant to even consider a mare
My give a dang is busted!

Gold Member of the "I got Screwed" Club

Proud Member of the "I Met a Board Buddy" Club!
Smokin'3with Gold, Hastflicka, Char, DixieDrumRunner, Codysmom, SpottedTApps, AppsforLife, Hiedi&Q, SCSpots, flequus.

Live courageously, take pride in your work, finish what you start, do what's necessary, be tough but fair, keep promises, ride for the brand, talk less and say more, remember that some things aren't for sale, and know where to draw the line.

#20 bananaboyeventer

bananaboyeventer

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

It doesn't matter to me either way, though I always seem to end up with boys. Every horse I've owned/leased/ridden regularly have been geldings. I did come thisclose to bringing home a Zips Chocolate Chip filly though, and I'll forever kick myself for letting her get away. She was the quietest, most agreeable 3 year old I've sat on. I've ridden some other wonderful mares too, and I wouldn't be against owning or leasing one if it was a good candidate for me. I haven't known one gender to be more hardworking or to bond better, and breeding isn't an issue since I don't plan to breed my own. If my horse gets a career-ending injury, I'll buy something new that's already grown and ready to replace my horse. I've known totally dull mares and ones so hot that you had to practically mount them jockey-style on the go. And I've known plenty of geldings with the same range of attitudes. My current boy is a total love, but can be a real priss too. I blame it on his blond-ness happy0203.gif

The princess himself, giving me the middle hoof:

#21 Azale

Azale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

I typically prefer geldings because they are usually more even tempered and not 'moody'. But I have to say my horse right now is a mare and I'm loving her.

#22 Stinger

Stinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

I've just always "clicked" with mares - and it seems to go one way or the other with people. I LIKE their attitudes and witchiness - it reminds me of ME. *snicker* They get witchy and it's a correction and "oh, mare, you silly thing" so it doesn't bother me. Maybe I just haven't met a super bad mare confused0024.gif

Now, if I were horse shopping, and came across a great gelding, I definitely wouldn't say no. Just like a good horse has no bad color - neither do they have bad genitals. Just seems like the girls fall in my lap.

~Catie Jo
Owned by:
Stingers Known Fax - "Stinger" 1994 APHA/PtHA mare

Tiny Raven Girl - "Raven" 2009 AQHA mare
Heelo: 2007 German Wirehaired Pointer

#23 Emminim

Emminim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

I've only owned mares until last tuesday...and I think I can tell right now that I like my gelding a little bit better. My mares have always been pretty moody and outright a pain in my butt more than once....I also prefer male dogs so it may just be me. :P
My family:
Hector, 1.5 year old Appendix thoroughbred.
Bree, 19 year old quarter horse
Raj, 18 year old arabian
Yub-Yub, 5 year old australian shepherd

#24 Stinger

Stinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

Emminim: Give it some time :) My mare and I took a while to click but now that we have I wouldn't trade her for the world. I spent a lot of time comparing her to my previous gelding when I first got her.

~Catie Jo
Owned by:
Stingers Known Fax - "Stinger" 1994 APHA/PtHA mare

Tiny Raven Girl - "Raven" 2009 AQHA mare
Heelo: 2007 German Wirehaired Pointer

#25 GemEllie0613

GemEllie0613

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

I have owned 3 mares and 1 gelding. Right now I own two mares, I love my girls, they don't have witchy attitudes and we get along great, they work hard for me and seem very egar to please, my gelding was a total sweetheart, but I seem to click better with mares for some reason, Josie owner used to complain about her mare attitude, but since day one Josie and I clicked, she and I get along beautifully and she always works hard for me. Ellie has always been my sweet girl and has never shown any mare attitude. When I look for a horse, I look at mares and geldings, and I go with which one I click with more, which happens to be mares, even the next horse I'm considering getting is a mare.
In sweet and forever loving memory of my first horse Gemini "Gem"
March 18 1986-June 1 2006

Proud owner of
Elegant Gem 'Ellie' 5 year old Perch/Appy mare

Just Wright Josie 'Josie' 14 yr QH Palomino mare

He may no longer belong to me but he will always be my sweet boy
Granda Rojo 'Red' 12 yr TB gelding

and my sweet doggies Missy and Jasmine, and my sweet kitty Dodger
_ _ _ ______________________ _ _ _
I met a board buddy-Tazzin

#26 scapoose

scapoose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,405 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:14 AM

I like my "goofy" geldings. You just don't seem to see goofy mares too often. I've never really bonded with a mare.
I actually met 14 board buddies!
hastflicka, xpasocorto, myDakota, Remy, wrangler, silverdreamer3, audrey-mae, Lopin Leopard, Adoro Reina, PacaPaca, Bryna, Sweetaddiction, Havanapp82, and Zephyr's Mom

#27 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,208 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:32 AM

I've owned both, the mares I owned have had more try in them than most of the geldings I've owned. Currently have 1 gelding, that is a good horse, but I would like to have another good trail mare. PD

#28 Willy McCoy

Willy McCoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

Ruby can be a bit moody when she's in, but we've bonded pretty good. I get along well with our gelding too, but Ruby's my girl.

#29 qtsuperkate

qtsuperkate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:52 AM

I have had both mares and geldings also. I have developed the strongest bond with the mare I have now. I think this old saying sums it up " Tell a gelding, ask a stallion, discuss it with a mare" My mare and I have had many "discussions" and she now sees things my way. I have never worked as hard or learned so much from having her. I think the journey has made our bond stronger.

#30 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

Mares.
I do look at both mares and geldings when buying a horse, but I always seem to end up with the mares. I've only had one jug headed hard to like mare. But, my sister bought her against my recommendation and left her here when she moved. That was Vanna the psychic TB, who always found a way to get hurt when I had someone scheduled to come out and train her.

I did love my Ledo, but he is an Arab with brains and the fun loving personality of a mare. I still wish I had him.
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running