13 replies to this topic

#1 myraven00

myraven00

just Blaise Glaze

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

My trimmer is a certified barefoot trimmer, she says that i have to have my hooves done every 4 or 5 weeks or she will charge me more.
What happened to the old days when we could go 8 weeks??
What is the norm.
I would like opinions and advice. I would really like to go back to every 8 weeks if i can but she will almost charge me the same if i do that.
uuggghh!!
my family , friends, and furries

Ellinoir - Fjord Horse
Samantha - Morgan Horse
Sassafras (Sassy) - KMH Mare

#2 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

with barefoot you do often have to do it every 4 weeks, especially if the horse needs a lot of "fixing" or if you are just starting out with barefoot. In the summer hooves often grow faster as well. But if your horse is already on a good barefoot routine, in the winter you shouldn't need to be trimmed up that often.

The amount a horse is worked will also affect its need for trims. If your horse gets ridden and wears its hooves down, it should need less frequent trimming than if it's just standing around doing nothing a lot.

there are a lot of variables. did you ask your farrier specifically why she set the 4-5 week timetable?

I had a horse that was a TWELVE weeker. His hooves just wore so well and he was worked enough, the farrier kept going longer and longer in between visits until we figured that 12 weeks was a good time to get any little bit that needed a rasp or bevel.
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#3 myraven00

myraven00

just Blaise Glaze

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

THANK YOU.
at first she had them on a 4 wk schedule cause they were needing it, new to it, rarely got out of the pasture.
but now, when she comes out i watch her cut maybe 1/8th of an inch usually?
She keeps this schedule even in the winter. I would much rather go longer in the winter.

Ellinoir - Fjord Horse
Samantha - Morgan Horse

#4 Sprite's Mom

Sprite's Mom

In the beginning, God created

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

I'd find a new trimmer. It all depends on the horse. I have 3 that are barefoot. I think Stormy may have had his hooves done 3 times last year, if that. Sprite on the other hand, needed her feet done about every 4 weeks during the summer last year. This year she isn't as bad.

#5 myraven00

myraven00

just Blaise Glaze

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

Actually, I would love to find a new trimmer that charges what she charges, and knows what she knows.
but says once in a while maybe 6 wks, maybe 8 wks. especially during the winter.

Ellinoir - Fjord Horse
Samantha - Morgan Horse

#6 storey

storey

Deviously Artistic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (myraven00 @ Jul 31 2010, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at first she had them on a 4 wk schedule cause they were needing it, new to it, rarely got out of the pasture.
but now, when she comes out i watch her cut maybe 1/8th of an inch usually?
She keeps this schedule even in the winter. I would much rather go longer in the winter.

How many months/years have they been barefoot and trimmed by her? It could be that there feet aren't quite there yet, and to you it might seem they are. When they can hold their bevel and are fully transitioned its fair to say that 8 weeks is needed and sometimes they can go for 12 weeks. But without the transition 5 weeks is usually what is best for the horse.

I personally like the shorter trim cycle (4-5 weeks) at 6-8 weeks sometimes there a problems that could have been avoided if the horse had been trimmed 4 weeks earlier. Another food for thought is maybe she doesn't want to use nippers, only the rasp. I find that horses who are done at 8 week ALWAYS get the nippers, I would much rather use just the rasp. Another thing you can do is ask her to show you how to touch up her feet in-between trims, so that you can allow the cycle to go a little longer, and help save you some money. If you explain this to her I'm sure she would consider. But I don't know her so thats not vary fair for me to say.

If you want to cut back on the trimming cycle, invest in pea gravel and make a large area that is at least 4-5 inches deep. Pea gravel helps maintain the trim and toughens up there feet also makes the transition faster. Volcanic rock is also good once they can handle running over the pea gravel. Lime stone is another good one.

#7 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

Well from another perspective..I have a girl who I trim for who also wanted to wait till every 8 weeks. The problem was, she was not riding enough or touching up the trim enough and the horses feet were suffering badly as a result.

I finally had to tel lher that if she goes over 6 weeks, I charge a setup trim again for each horse because I AM re setting up the trim job and its more work AND the horses feet are not progressing forward and actually reversing backwards because they are being left too long and flairing.

If MY name is going on a trim job, it will be sucessful or I will no longer trim for that client. Its too hard to build a good reputation to have it ruined by someone who wants to save a few bucks and not trim often enough. Barefoot takes commitment.

On the flip side, I ENCOURAGE owners to touch up themselves in order to go longer between paid trims. I will gladly show them how and what to do and usually will donate a used rasp to them to get started.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#8 myraven00

myraven00

just Blaise Glaze

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

See, both of you have given me very helpful information. I can do a weekly rasp and maybe see if she will stretch it 2 weeks (to six weeks) then maybe eventually to 8 weeks! That would be perfect!
I want to get one of those "trail rasps" from horse.com. It looks very comfortable to use.
Cool, you guys, thank you!

Ellinoir - Fjord Horse
Samantha - Morgan Horse

#9 storey

storey

Deviously Artistic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

The riders rasp is actually a BIG waist of money IMO. I found it dulled after one use, and it didn't do a good job, a rasp can get the job done so much better and faster too :D

#10 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

Yeah the riders rasp is a joke IMO....See if your trimmer will give you one of her old ones and show you how to use it to touch up.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

#11 myraven00

myraven00

just Blaise Glaze

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

She has tried and tried to show me, i have a hard time maneuvering it. its just so big and clunky. I get the gist of the hoof and how it is supposed to be done and all that, just the rasp is awkward, or rather, i am awkward with the rasp.
what if i used a sanding block??
you can get them at walmart in the painting section, it has a rough side and a smooth side. She uses them for touch ups. My son uses it to remove rust. It's pretty durable and cheap enough I wouldnt mind buying one every couple months.

Ellinoir - Fjord Horse
Samantha - Morgan Horse

#12 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Maybe break the rasp in half so it isnt so long and make sure it has a handle on it so its easier to use. You will get better with practice also. And wear gloves.
Posted Image

#13 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

My horses are on a six week schedule, but they could use trimming by week four. My trimmer travels two hours to do my horses and my friends' horses, and not everyone wants a more frequent trim. If we are riding a lot, six weeks is okay. I tried the rider's rasp, and I couldn't tell it did a thing. My horses have excellent hard feet, and I don't think it has the oomph to do anything w/ them. My trimmer has shown me how to rasp and given me a rasp, but I'm a big chicken. I try to ride/walk them on the road regularly, but they still have too much growth between trims this year. I wish I had better hand/eye coordination and a better eye for the trim so I could do it myself. More riding is the key - but it's either 100* or pouring rain this year.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#14 flequus

flequus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

Edited by flequus, 24 May 2011 - 01:42 PM.