Quantcast

Photo

Do You Give Your Horse Apple Cider Vinegar?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xcanchaserchicx

xcanchaserchicx

Runnin' barrels is my anti-drug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:54 PM

I was beyond bored at work and recalled something about ACV being beneficial as fly repellent and other sorts of stuff. I wanted to know if anyone gives their horses ACV and like it?
~Rae AKA "Slinky's Girl" given by JPParadiseRanch (LOL)
------------
Proud owner of Slinky - 2002 OTTB gelding

R.I.P Mariah (11.8.08) - You will never be forgotten sweet mare!
R.I.P G-Man (8.8.09) - You were the guiding light to my barrel racing addiction!
R.I.P Kahlua (8.21.10) - You gave my friend the world, you will be deeply missed!

Can Chaser for Life Baby!
MSN: xcanchaserchicx@live.com OR Facebook Me: xcanchaserchicx@gmail.com
*add 380 as barrelracinsyd (May 2002)*

Credit to Trail Hoss 2

Member of the "I Ran Out Of Horsemanship" Club!

I met board buddies! KahLuaChic77, AltAdenA Cowgirl, Three*C*Champs, Zakima, Zmecky, RP......Who's next?

#2 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

I tried to. Nobody liked it so I quit with it.

I really have to wonder how good it really is tho. It just seems like another fad.
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#3 TrueTracks

TrueTracks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

I have heard was also a good joint supplement, so i tried it on my older mare to see, she loved it, but i didn't see any changes in her what so ever...and as far as a "fly repelant" I didn't see any changes in the flies either...I think it is just an old wives tale...???

How is Slinky doing these days?

#4 okhorselover

okhorselover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

I'm with Felda. I think it was another fad. My vet laughed when I told him I was giving it. he said my horses were not salads rotf.gif
Not a newbie, just gone for a while

http://www.leeranch.net

#5 1wildkatt

1wildkatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

I do give my horses acv. It helps to curb the formation of enteroliths. I also give canola oil with it. It needs to be given with grains or pellets for the horses to eat it. I give 1/2 cup daily with their dinner. My horses have grown to really like their dinner salad, LOL winking0073.gif
Kat

#6 xcanchaserchicx

xcanchaserchicx

Runnin' barrels is my anti-drug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

Does it help with decreasing mosquito larvae in water buckets?
~Rae AKA "Slinky's Girl" given by JPParadiseRanch (LOL)
------------
Proud owner of Slinky - 2002 OTTB gelding

R.I.P Mariah (11.8.08) - You will never be forgotten sweet mare!
R.I.P G-Man (8.8.09) - You were the guiding light to my barrel racing addiction!
R.I.P Kahlua (8.21.10) - You gave my friend the world, you will be deeply missed!

Can Chaser for Life Baby!
MSN: xcanchaserchicx@live.com OR Facebook Me: xcanchaserchicx@gmail.com
*add 380 as barrelracinsyd (May 2002)*

Credit to Trail Hoss 2

Member of the "I Ran Out Of Horsemanship" Club!

I met board buddies! KahLuaChic77, AltAdenA Cowgirl, Three*C*Champs, Zakima, Zmecky, RP......Who's next?

#7 meeker_gurl8789

meeker_gurl8789

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

I ued the "spot on" it goes on like advantage on dogs ect didnt see any differences the first 24 hourse but now 3 days later and even the day after hes "lucky" to have a fly on him

Proud owner of
WR Shades Of Phire 2004 Bay Arabian mare
Little Hawk 2008 champaigne Miniature horse Gelding
AM Rain Maker 2013 bay Arabian gelding

Itsy Bitsy 1996 Bay Arabian mare

#8 SunshineAcres

SunshineAcres

My Giveadamn's Busted

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

I added acv to the trough and all it did was make the trough nasty faster. I had to clean it twice as often. The horses drank it but ditto that it did nothing for fly control at all.
One of my boarders had me adding a cup of it to her horses feed and after a month I told her to stop wasting her money and go buy some fly spray instead. lol
Sunshine 10 yo Belgian mare
Angel 8 yo Spotted Draft mare

#9 TxCowgirl57

TxCowgirl57

Ask me about my Limousin service

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Using ACV has been around since the early-mid 70's. Possibly longer. I was using it back then. I give it mine. I put it on their feed. They like it. It is a natural anitibiotic and kills the bad bacteria in their stomachs. I have an article on it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. I also put it in my dogs water bowls and it helps with fleas and ticks. Several folks I know here at work use the ACV tablets when they go hunting.
"You can tell a Texan, but you can't tell them anything"
Donnie Gay

"It takes more than a hat to be a cowboy"

Member: "I love ELMER" and "I Love Shadow" fan club

In Loving Memory:
John J. Irwin III
7/13/1950 - 5/15/2010
Loving husband and father
and my nephew:
William "Billy" Taylor
12/18/78 - 11/30/05
SEMPER FI!

Pure Country Cattle Co. Registered Limousin Cattle
Lifetime member of North American Limousin Association www.nalf.org

#10 TxCowgirl57

TxCowgirl57

Ask me about my Limousin service

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

APPLE VINEGAR BENEFITS YOUR HORSES

Vinegar is a water purifier. No known pathogens can survive in raw apple vinegar. Add one cup of apple vinegar to a watering tank daily to purify the water source and sustain your horses good health.

Water is very important, if you can, try to use a chlorine free source. I add apple vinegar to the water source to help reduce the content of possible toxins as well as to provide clean, pure and adequate water source. It also helps with insect problems. Even gnat and bot problems are reduced with the addition of apple vinegar to the water. One of the easiest ways to provide apple vinegar is through the water source.

If your water tank automatically fills, use this formula:

Add 1 cup of vinegar per 6 gallons of water contained in the tank. Then, add an additional 2 ounces of apple vinegar per horse per day.

A normal, healthy horse, with the addition of 2 ounces of vinegar per day, will noticeably resist insect and parasite problems, grow shinier and more easily managed hair and increase endurance and energy levels.

Add 2 oz. of apple vinegar to feed.

Adding apple vinegar to feed is equally as effective as the addition in water. It can be added to a serving of grain, hay or any other feed. Usually, your horse will let you know the taste is different the first few times you do this, after that - they seems to crave the taste!

Many people are currently using apple vinegar to relieve arthritis and/or control weight. It works the same way for horses! Older horses often have problems with arthritis and other types of joint conditions. Often, they acquire digestive difficulties and other dietary concerns. The addition of apple vinegar to the diet of an older horse will make a substantial difference in a matter of only a couple of weeks. Continued use will substantially reduce and sometimes totally eliminate these problems without making any other changes in your horses program.

Apple Vinegar is a natural antibiotic.

The addition of apple vinegar to the diet of a horse with kidney or other internal infections usually eliminates the problem! If your horse is already consuming 2 oz per day and somehow develops an internal infection, increase the amount to 4 oz per day by adding an additional 2 oz at the second feeding. Then, increase the amount by 1 oz at a time to each feeding gradually over the next few days to a MAXIMUM of 6 oz per day. Maintain this amount until the infection disappears. Always consult with your veterinarian when you have problems with your horses' health.

If an infection already exists, start with the 2 oz per day and increase gradually from there as your horse becomes accustomed to the taste. Apple Vinegar will enhance the reaction of other antibiotics as well. There is no need to be concerned about adding apple vinegar to a horses diet while they are currently receiving other antibiotic treatments.

Sometimes, when adding apple vinegar to the diet of a horse that is not in a state of optimal health you may notice a change in the color of the urine. This is due to the cleansing effect the vinegar has on a horses internal system.

I challenge you to use a source of raw, natural apple vinegar added to your horse's diet and track the difference in health. Hopefully, you already have kept careful records of vet consults, etc. Add apple vinegar and continue to keep these records. You will be pleased with the difference you see!

To Control Pests and Parasites

Mix equal amounts of Apple Vinegar, Avon's Skin So Soft and water; add 1/2 the amount of baby shampoo (or other liquid soap product); mix it up and put in in a spray bottle.

This mixture is more natural than most of the fly repellents you will find available, it will work better, last longer and add shine to your horse's coat. It eliminates those nasty looking gnat lines on the chest and underneath the jaw/chin area in a matter of a couple of days. The horses won't resist application because it won't sting or burn.

Some of us believe that the addition of apple vinegar to a horses feed is very helpful in the elimination of most common equine intestinal parasites including Bots. During the year 2000 I have used this formula in the spray form and have faithfully supplied my horses with 2 ounces of vinegar each day. For the first time, WE HAVE HAD NO BOTS!

As a Detoxifier

The addition of apple vinegar to a horses' diet will naturally cleans your horses internal system. This has been known to increase the efficiency of the horses' entire pulmonary system as well as reduce side effects of drugs such as lasix. By cleansing your horses' internal systems you will provide your horse with its maximum natural ability to:

eliminate the need for antibiotics

Build muscle
Strengthen bones
Improve Coat and Color
Improve overall health
Reduce weather stress
Avoid Diseases
Reduce insect and parasite problems

Spray vinegar on your horses feet:

When applied to the soul and frog of your horse on a regular basis you will eliminate or greatly reduce your problems with thrush and other foot fungus, and speed up the healing of any abscesses, bruises or other trauma problems.

Applied to the hoof wall 2-3 times a week during the riding season and reduce cracks, improve the quality of the hoof wall and avoid the need to use other types of hoof conditioning produces.

"If your horses eat off the ground (most horses) I would add two tablespoons of phsyllium (metamucil) to bran to help pick up more sand. There is some evidence that a cup of apple cider vinegar on the feed daily may prevent entrolyths in susceptible horses. Colic is not uncommon, is very serious and in horses is an emergency." quoted from NetPets: Thomas D Morrow D.V.M.

"Kidneys function largely due to a balance of what are called the Sodium and Potassium Pumps. What happens is that compounds like salt (Sodium Chloride) assist the cells in the Kidneys to draw fluid into themselves for processing. Potassium compounds work to draw fluid out of the cells and form the basis of most Diuretic medicines. Certain feed substances have naturally high levels of potassium and you can feed bananas or a little extra Cider Vinegar if you are worried that your horse needs extra help." Robert McDowell, Herbalist, January 1999.

"You can tell a Texan, but you can't tell them anything"
Donnie Gay

"It takes more than a hat to be a cowboy"

Member: "I love ELMER" and "I Love Shadow" fan club

In Loving Memory:
John J. Irwin III
7/13/1950 - 5/15/2010
Loving husband and father
and my nephew:
William "Billy" Taylor
12/18/78 - 11/30/05
SEMPER FI!

Pure Country Cattle Co. Registered Limousin Cattle
Lifetime member of North American Limousin Association www.nalf.org

#11 Sprite's Mom

Sprite's Mom

In the beginning, God created

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

When you say raw ACV, I'm assuming you don't mean the stuff you can normally buy in your grocery store?

#12 Bryna

Bryna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

Yes, most of the positive benefits only come from the raw vinegar. Typically you need to go to a health food store of the health food section of your grocery store to find it. It needs to be refrigerated after opening and generally costs more than the other stuff. To keep costs down, I will buy a gallon of the regular ACV and pour my liter bottle of raw vinegar into it. Leave out for 24 hours for the culture to grow, and then refrigerate as normal -it is kind of like sourdough, lol.

I add ACV to grain, 1-2 TBS per feeding. It helps balance the bodies pH, which helps to prevent colic, laminitis and other symptons of carb overload. This is also what slightly discourages flies (and works a little better against mosquitos.) Fly spray does work better than ACV, but if you have qualms about dousing your horse with pesticides, the ACV works better than nothing. I find garlic to be more helpful in that regard, and normally use them in conjuction. Both also discourage worms.

I don't add vinegar to water. I scrub water buckets in stalls daily, with the only exception being a hard freeze. Water troughs in pastures are normally scrubbed a couple of times per week. If there are mosquito larvae, it has been too long.
Willowvale Farm
Performance Quarter Horses
Disposition, Conformation, Performance.

Home of:
Annie (Skits Princess Anne), 1999 AQHA bay mare, bred to Bet Hesa Cat, due 3/18/12.
Sis (Sister Joaquin), 1994 AQHA grulla mare
Dusty (Dusty Nu Dawn), 2003 AQHA dun gelding
Nita (Haida Magical Night), 2006 AQHA black mare

---------------------------

"Remember to be flexible, you'll bounce back every time."

#13 ride the hide

ride the hide

Pitchfork Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

We gave ACV to our old Golden who had bad arthritis in her last year or two of life. She got some in her food once a day and she went from having trouble getting up to being able to go upstairs again. I really believe it made her last year with us much more enjoyable than it could have been.

A suggested it to a friend who said her old dog was going down hill fast due to arthritis and she said the dog did an immediate 180 and thanked me profusely for the advice.

I haven't used it on a horse but if I had an arthritic horse I would definitely try it. I have however, used it for fly control and didn't notice a difference. I can tell you though when some is leftover in a bucket the flies will SWARM it.
*~* Alissa *~*

Sweetie - 1998 Belgian/TB mare

I love my Military man <3
I support our troops.