14 replies to this topic

#1 appys for me

appys for me

Lost Dazed and Confused

• Members
  • Pip
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

I'll start by saying I did call every vet within 100 miles of me last night when it happend and none would come out and try to stitch it because of where its located at.

This is a pics right after it happend, still not sure as to what caused it.

After i cleaned it up and put some triple antibiotic ointment on it. I bandaged it up the best i could with a huge bandaid and some duct tape to make sure it stayed over night.

This is what it looked like this morning when i took the bandage off the rest of the way. It was coming off on the right side already.

It was still bleeding and oozing some. I put some cutheal on it and let her go for awhile. I went out a little while ago and it has stopped bleeding and is looking better but its getting hay in it because she insists on sticking her nose in the round bale as far as she can.

My question is how do i bandage it or cover it some how to keep it from getting hay in it?
Is there a way or am I just going to have to be washing it out several times a day.

Edited by appys for me, 29 October 2010 - 04:51 PM.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping," now I just "chunky dunk."

And no matter what don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able
to tell the difference

The early bird might get the worm, but the second
mouse gets the cheese!

#2 Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

I would personally try some butterfly bandages on that. Not sure how well they would work on hair, though.

#3 Slip'nSlide

Slip'nSlide

Horse Mafia Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

Well, your best bet would be to just keep it covered with ointment..between the moisture from the wound and the breath of the horse it'd take some pretty sticky stuff to keep anything adhered to the skin/existing hair-I've used breathe right nasal strips in the past in an attempt to hold a wound together with mediocre results.

My gelding recently did something very similar and I just clipped around the edges with the clippers and surgical blade to keep it clean. Kept the ointment on it, cleaning it off/out completely once day. Everyday it got a little less sore, and eventually it disappeared/healed :o)
~Shayna

Journeyman 1 Certified Farrier & Blacksmith ~ Striking 7's Ranch

Posted Image

Bartwo Telusion - "T" Multiple ROMs in Halter - Open/Ammy Aged Gelding

Painted Grullo Dude - "Toby" Roping, Sorting, Playdays, Trails
Bright Easter Jewel - "Jem" Driving, Show, Games - Taken over by my 7 year old son :o)

I critique horses, however I am brutally honest. If you need a critique done feel free to drop me a PM - I try to get things done on the critique board, however I spend a lot of time inpatient and without internet.

#4 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

Well the good thing is its in a place that shouldnt get too dirty unless the horse is face first in a round roll so mind to feed him where he doesnt have to use his nose to eat.

Id probably put something like that silver spray bandage stuff on this. Silverstol? Ive used it alot and it works well...An actual bandage isnt going to last in that location.

Edited by Trinity, 06 October 2010 - 11:15 AM.

Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#5 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

I know I can be a bit redundant, but I have to post it again.. Equaide! Equaide Equaide!

It's a little higher than one that happened here recently, but here is a picture of mine.

This was caused by a stud reaching over my fence (that wasn't suppose to be there) and ripping the poor girls nose open. There was a flap also, can't really see it in the picture. I used the Equaide for 2 weeks no bandage because it's really a pretty impossible place to bandage and it is all healed up, can't even tell it was ever there. Equaide is a GREAT product for those hard to bandage areas because it has antibiotic/antifungal properties in it as well as healing. They recommend bandaging but I've found it's also just fine with out with this wound and another I've had on a horses girth area.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."

#6 Milo

Milo

High Mileage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Wrap with Elasticon, that's what I used after my horse's sinus surgery when we needed to keep the staples covered.

Silver stuff is AluShield (or at least that's the one I'm familiar with). It works great, but for a horse sticking her nose in a round bale, I'd want something to physically cover the ouch :-)
Lots of fun, a heart the size of Montana, and the mouth of a guttersnipe.

on 12/4/05 at 4:32am bestponymilo wrote: The twisteder© the better!

#7 codysmom

codysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

One of these fly masks would extend down far enough to keep most of the hay/junk out of it.

http://www.thefind.c...o-nose-fly-mask

Buddies met: Runnin'Colors, SCSpots, Abadan Arabians, Char & qhridinGA

#8 appys for me

appys for me

Lost Dazed and Confused

• Members
  • Pip
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.
It appears that she has been trying to reach over and under part of the fence to get to some dates on a tree. She has now bit her own lip as well as the very end of her tounge. The only way i can figure that she did it was she had stretched enough to be liping the date and trying to use her tounge to get it as well and bumped the hot wire. In the area the tree is at it has enough of a shock that I have seen it set her on her butt. So now I have another area to keep cleaned out. Man I swear some times she is worse than a dozen accident prone children........lol

heres a pics of her lip where she bit it.

to tell the difference

mouse gets the cheese!

#9 DraftHorse

DraftHorse

The receiver of packages and the inhabitant of dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

Ouch, ouch, ouch!

Sounds like you're doing the best you can with an accident prone horse.
I met a board buddy, Bend N Flex. (Oh, there you are, bendy!!!)
Was in the same state as, and chatted on the phone with, PacaPaca and yankeeviper. Way cool ladies!

#10 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,266 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

Oh boy, you've got one of *those* kinds of horses! duh.gif

The lip will have to heal on its' own.
The nose injury, I'd clean it good and use non-stick pads w/ some sort of healing-type-product and Elastikon bandage tape to hold it in place. I wish a vet had come out to stitch it but it should heal w/ minimal problems.
The only thing that will help keep a bandage in that area is going to be the Elastikon**, a long-nosed fly mask and NO ROUND BALE. You will need to remove the horse from access to the round bale and pitchfork hay either into a feeder or onto the ground. You don't want the horse to have access to anything they can 'root around' in with their nose and scrub a bandage off.

** bandage that area in a diamond shape, on point**
Use enough elastikon so it has plenty of non-moving surface area to adhere to. You can also elongate one point of the diamond to run further up the center of the face for more surface-sticky-contact.
I have the ability of single-minded determination and focu... Hey, look! A horse!
Posted Image

#11 StopDropRollChic

StopDropRollChic

Lost in the sauce! Like a meatball.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

Appys- I don't mean to say this out of rudeness or disrespect, but I think your horse has an Amish beard going on! rotf.gif

Rebel Summer Storm - 99' bay QH/Morgan Mare
Bars Rock Music - 01' Sorrel Tobiano Gelding

#12 appys for me

appys for me

Lost Dazed and Confused

• Members
  • Pip
  • 476 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

Heidi- She has been a living nightmare this year with getting herself buggered up.

I will see if I can find the Elastikon and give it a try. I ran into our old ( 80 years old) retired vet last night and he gave me what he called a spray on bandage type stuff thats kind of like new skin for people. Told me to spray it on real good once a day and if it was warm enough to use baby soap and wash it good before I put it on every day. So far I have noticed that the flies dont mess with it at all after I spray it on. He also recomended that I use cutheal after it heals up a little more.

any way on to pics

this is after I washed it, you can still see a little of the spray on stuff in it.

And here it is all doctored up with the spray.

to tell the difference

mouse gets the cheese!

#13 appys for me

appys for me

Lost Dazed and Confused

• Members
  • Pip
  • 476 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (StopDropRollChic @ Oct 7 2010, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Appys- I don't mean to say this out of rudeness or disrespect, but I think your horse has an Amish beard going on! rotf.gif

rotf.gif No way about it thats funny

to tell the difference

mouse gets the cheese!

#14 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,799 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:11 AM

My doofus gelding bit his own lip once, too. It healed up nicely. He also had another horse bite a hole in his lip. It healed with a small scar.
I swear some horses are just idiots at times LOL
Ultima Star "Tima" - 1997 Arabian Mare - Arabian sport horse extraordinaire
Ghost Sandy Man "Lumpy" - 2002 AQHA Geld - Enjoying his newfound hunter side
Miss Thermo King Bee "Bug" - 2001 AQHA Mare - Schoolie deluxe
Waller's Mr. Jazzy "Jazzy" - 2000 AMHA Stallion - Cute farm mascot
Impressed by Surprise "Cricket" - 2008 QH Filly
Gracie - 1994ish? off track something - Dressage prospect in training
Miss Rolling Thunder - 2009 TB/Perch filly - Future sport horse
Indy - 1990 grade mare - Best beginner horse on earth!

Also owned by an Australian Shepherd, a Pomeranian, a barn cat and three Silkie chickens.

#15 appys for me

appys for me

Lost Dazed and Confused

• Members
  • Pip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

Here is a pic of her nose taken yesterday. She is almost totally healed up now.

to tell the difference

mouse gets the cheese!