5 replies to this topic

#1 RA

RA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Is there an easy answer to what causes false sole to develop? Our mares are barefooted have been for years. Not a true barefoot trim as now defined, more a pasture trim but I've not had any problems until this past Fall with what seems to me to be false sole developing.

Our previous now retired farrier told me shedding frogs and sole was normal for horse. I see reading here that may not be so - more the case of something akin to athletes feet in humans?

The sole area of all three of our mares was peeling off with me scraping using just my hoof pick. Did not seem to cause them any discomfort but concerns me. I did spray their feet with vinegar and did scrape and peel sole as it loosened. The Farrier was here last Tuesday. My husband told him I was concerned about the condition of my horses hooves - the Farrier saw nothing to be concerned about. Sometimes I think I am just borrowing trouble!
Horsense...Naturally!
member: HCBB Anonymous
I LOVE my carrot sticks too!

www.meanderstables.com

#2 storey

storey

Deviously Artistic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:38 PM

The false sole out in the wild would be warn away by rocks and such. With domestic horses who are out on "soft" pasture they arent able to exfoliate their soles and thus its our job to help with that process. If you can invest in pea gravel that would help tremendously. Put it where the horses walk daily, like gates, water troughs, or if you can make a squeeze shoot they have to walk through to get back and forth in the pasture.

#3 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

Hard flat dry ground will encourage a "false sole" to build up if it isnt exfoliated or some moisture gotten to the feet now and then allows it to slough out. Also long bars will hold false sole in as well. There are several reasons but obviously the horse doesnt need it anymore and is letting it go.

Frogs shedding is normal around here but not necessarily "right" It means the horse had a nice dry callous built up and then it got damp and the layers started peeling away. Thrush can help it along as it is oppoutunistic, but its akin to a peeling callous after a shower in my book usually. The callous was needed tho and I want them to stay put.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#4 RA

RA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks so much. Makes sense. I have a gravel area in the front of their paddock but it has pretty much been worked into the ground. I need to refresh that area. The rest of the paddock area has lime-stone fines they too need refreshing.

The horses are either there or on grass pastures. It has been a dry summer/fall.

I've started spraying their soles and frogs with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, tea-tree oil and neem oil. That should keep thrush away. I had the farrier specifically double check for thrush. All three mares were fine but I sure don't want that to take hold. Would rather do preventative measures.
Horsense...Naturally!

www.meanderstables.com

#5 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:15 PM

Don't apply the oils too often. You'll find that the hoof gets a waxy appearance and I fear the tubules are getting clogged up. I also heard of Lysol done often did this to a hoof as well. I would use it once a week. You can however, use straight vinegar spray on a daily basis. The hoof has its own raincoat...trust it.
If there is any false sole to come out, go after it in wet weather. You'll be able to scrape it out with the hoof pick, leaving a clean flat surface and remove food for thrush. If you have any cracks for the central sulcis, go after them as well. Thrush loves to hide out down in the bottom of there.

#6 RA

RA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

Thanks so much for the feed back. I would have used my mix too often. Good to know. I'll keep a spray bottle of straight vinegar for daily use.
Horsense...Naturally!

www.meanderstables.com