7 replies to this topic

#1 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:03 AM

So I got my old guy out tonight to feed his pelleted feed (Triple Crown Senior) and trim his hooves. I put the feed bag on and he ate while I trimmed. He gets 5lbs 3x a day so it takes a bit. We both got done at about the same time so I took him for a short 2-3 min walk just to see him move and make sure he was comfortable with his fresh trim. As we headed for the gate he spotted a bucket that had filled with rain water and headed for it. Nothing abnormal he's usually thirsty after eating all that so I let me wander over to it. As he started drinking water started draining out of his right nostril much to my dismay. It wasn't gushing or anything but steady enough to be a stream not drips. I looked in the water to be sure it wasn't snot and it wasn't looking any different that then water just blending right back it. It also seemed to come out a little faster then slower for a second as he sucked and swallowed.

So um yah- what does that mean??? He wasn't bothered by it at all and didn't act like anything was abnormal at all. I climbed over to try to watch the other nostril but that disturbed him enough he decided he wasn't thirsty anymore. I plan to stage some thirsty times for him when I can coming up here to watch more. This poor old guy- I swear if it's not one odd thing it's another. I guess that's what you get at 35 though huh?

#2 Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

That's honestly a question I would be calling your vet about.

#3 equinitis

equinitis

Due to the cost of ammunition, don't expect a warning shot.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

Several of our animals, mules and horses, do this on occasion. It doesn't seem to bother them and since several of them do it, I don't worry about it. It seems like the faster they drink, the more the water comes out of the nose. Some only dribble from one nostril and some it just pours from both. They love to blow and spray the water everywhere!
People can shoot water out of the nose to no ill effect so I wouldn't worry about it unless he seems distressed by it!

Ride, ride, ride!!!

#4 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

Glad to know he's not the only one that does it. Thanks for posting Equinitis!

#5 440

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

Does he display any symptoms of choke? Coughing, stretching head out, lump on one side or other of throat?

#6 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

Nope, I've watched him drink several times now and that initial incident is the worst I've seen it but water does come out his nose every time he drinks. Usually a small trickle out both nostrils. He will do it regardless of if it is before or after he eats.

#7 dgRuffian

dgRuffian

Ruff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

I have only seen that when a horse has strangles. It seems yours does not but may indicate a swelling in the same general area that strangles affects.
While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth......George Bernard Shaw

‎I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

“We all love animals, but why do we call some of them pets and some of them dinner?”

#8 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

Hm, that's interesting. I know he has a tumor on his neck growing around his esophagus that has been there for years. I've had two vets look at it and they both said it is the type that only grows out and will never cause a problem. I wonder...