Quantcast

Photo

Anyone Have Any Experience With Abscesses Near The Hock?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crys

Crys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

A few weeks ago the place where I had my 8 month old colt called to say his hock was swollen; I went out and checked him over to find him just a little swollen but no heat. He was perfectly fine with me touching and squeezing all over and looked a little stiff while walking but not really lame (placing the whole foot down while walking, actually resting his good leg!). I didn't see any puncture wounds at this time, he had a normal temp, etc. They did have him in with all their full grown horses including 1 half draft who they suspected may have kicked him. Anyway long story short they called me a few days later to say he now had an open wound with a tiny bit of pus coming out. I told them they could go ahead and bring him home so I could treat the wound daily (he was boarded b/c I am very prego right now!). I flushed and cleaned the wound daily (per vet instructions) for over a week only ever getting a tiny bit of thick pus from it. The open wound is a circular one about 1 inch in diameter and is on the outer side of leg about an inch or 2 below the hock. The 1st few days he was a little tender but by the third day was bucking around. Since I wasn't getting much out I decided to do an Ichthamol wrap on the leg last weekend. When removing the bandage all the swelling was down and the wound looked great. Then the next day the leg was swollen again and he was a little slow getting around but still full weight bearing, still no temp and the leg wasn't hot to the touch (it has been below zero here though). Today I noticed the wound is draining again, lots of liquidy yellow pus. And he is bucking around again. Anyway just wondering if anyone has had any experience treating a wound like this, wondering if I should rewrap or just continue flushing and cleaning (I am using 1st a bit of peroxide followed by diluted betadine for flushing). Making sure I am getting the inside of the abscess flushed; I can get my pinky finger about 1/2 to 1 inch into the sore (downward). Our vet is really busy at the moment and cannot make it out until next week. Forgot to mention he has had one round of antibiotics, just finished them. He still doesn't have a temp, is bright eyed, hardly lame (once again bucking around) and is eating and drinking like a champ.

#2 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,280 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

What you SHOULD do is have the joint xrayed to see if it has been compromised.

lots of liquidy yellow pus

sounds like it might possibly be joint fluid.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#3 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

Agreed.....bone sequestrum comes to mind as well.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#4 Crys

Crys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

Agreed.....bone sequestrum comes to mind as well.

Pretty sure it's just pus, not sticky like synovial fluid usually is. To me synovial fluid always seems like more of an egg white consistancy, this is more liquidy and a yellow color like banana pudding (not see through at all). I have treated a lot of abscesses on cats and dogs and seems a lot like those....my experience with horse abscesses is a little rusty! Just seems so wierd cause he has never been lame on it (I have heard this is often true with sequestrums though), maybe a bit stiff at first in the morning but once he gets moving you almost can't even tell. Will definely look into sequestrum and have the vet bring the portable radiograph machine out when she comes next week. Thanks for the advice! He definately will not be going back out to the boarding facility..have had terrible luck with them! I will try to add some pics to my post if I can get the camera working!

Edited by Crys, 02 February 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#5 Zinge

Zinge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

good to hear he got antibiotics. Does the wound have an odor to it? Due to experience my first thought that comes to mind is infection. I would definately keep a close eye on it, keep flushing the wound and have the vet take a look. Sometimes those little wounds can heal up with some meds and flushing, but once infection sets in its a whole different ball game.
I hope you do post on how your horse is doing.

#6 Crys

Crys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

good to hear he got antibiotics. Does the wound have an odor to it? Due to experience my first thought that comes to mind is infection. I would definately keep a close eye on it, keep flushing the wound and have the vet take a look. Sometimes those little wounds can heal up with some meds and flushing, but once infection sets in its a whole different ball game.
I hope you do post on how your horse is doing.

Never really had much of an odor, not the kind of rotten egg abscess I am used to smelling with cats and cattle anyway! Flushed today and yesterday with no pus coming out so for right now it is looking better! Definately going to try to keep it open for at least another week or so. He was running around bucking today with absolutely no lameness so I am hoping this time it will do well. Just got a new mare in today so he will finally have some company...and I will need to have the vet out to give her a rabies shot so will definately be getting one of them out to take a look probably next week. Thanks for all the advice everyone! You guys have been much more helpful than the people on the other forum I am a member on! They seem to find a lot of fun in bashing everyone and not helping...also I will try to get a pic of the wound in the next couple days; still is a bit of hard swelling below the hock but not the hock itself anymore.

#7 interested

interested

no longer a newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

Not being a vet, I would not venture a diagnosis, but anytime a joint is involved and possible infection there is an increased risk of arthritis developing in the joint. As someone mentioned xrays are probably a good option to discuss with your vet as there may be bone chips or some other cause for the swelling which is preventing the lymphatic fluids from draining from the area.

Lack of knowledge is not stupid and not ignorant, refusing to ask a question because of what someone else might think, Who cares what they think? If you don't know, ask anyway

I'm an ornery ole cuss, and I've been around long enough that it doesn't matter what they think, h*ll there is plenty they don't know either

nice thing about alzheimers, you don't remember when somebody is ticked at you