6 replies to this topic

#1 brlracr624

brlracr624

Insane and loving it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

I already called the vet and he told me what to do for a few days and see if she gets better...

But I was watching my pygmy goat Jinky today and I noticed she was pulling herself forward with her front legs and "froggy butt" on the back. I went out and checked her, her hips feel fine, her legs aren't broke. She didn't seem to show much pain and I can pinch by her hooves in the back and she isn't responding quickly or like she should at all. I immediately called my vet and he said to give her 2 aspirin 3 times a day to see if it is a spinal compression. Watch her for 3 days and if she doesn't get better then we will probably have to put her down.

But it seems cruel to wait 3 days or so if she has nerve damage or spinal compression. She is roughly 12 years old and is a purebred pygmy. She lives with 2 mini's and a pony and she is the herd boss. There are no apparent injuries and her hair isn't tussled or anything like she got caught in anything. She has been seeming stiff on her back end, but she is 12 and its cold lately. So we were looking into supplements to help but haven't found any yet in our area.

So any goat people what does this sound like and is aspirin a good way to go? Please help my DH loves this goat and she is special to us.
BB's I've met...Tazzin, Trinity, NCtrailgirl, DixieBelle, Loverofhorses36, edenn3583 and Lynnehall67

Slave to my animals
Tank my loving Heeler mix
Scout my feline master
JuneBug AMHA bay roan
Jinky the wonder goat Went to greener pastures 10/27/11

#2 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

I personally wouldn't be waiting 3 days, especially using aspirin. I personally would probably go straight to thiamine & Dexamethasone treatment.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#3 brlracr624

brlracr624

Insane and loving it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

My vet recommended bute or banamine, but I don't have that here and he isn't in the office til Mon. All the vets in our area are off for the weekends except for emergencies. The vet didn't think this was an emergency but said if I wanted him to he would come tomorrow. I'm just worried because this is the first time she has had anything wrong. She is eating, drinking and passing urine and feces. So all that is working well. She doesn't seem in pain, I can feel her legs, hip and back without her flinching or bleating. So I'm thinking more injury or pinched nerve. We have had ice and mud lately so I'm afraid she may have slipped.
BB's I've met...Tazzin, Trinity, NCtrailgirl, DixieBelle, Loverofhorses36, edenn3583 and Lynnehall67

Slave to my animals
Scout my feline master
JuneBug AMHA bay roan

#4 brlracr624

brlracr624

Insane and loving it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

We did aspirin overnight, kept her warm and kept food and water in front of her. She was a little better this morning but not much. We were thinking we were gonna have to put her down, but all of a sudden she started to get up and walk several good steps. Called the vet and he was gonna be in the office today so I picked up some Dex and I have 3 injections for her now. We are gonna start tonight since her last dose of aspirin was around 8 this morning and hope that this helps. She was seeming to be in better spirits and DH is hopeful now.

He loves this goat so I'm hoping she pulls through and it was just a slip/fall type situation. If that is the case we won't have to put this snarky goat down for a while.

Slave to my animals
Scout my feline master
JuneBug AMHA bay roan

#5 azgrulla

azgrulla

Scuba diving diva!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

Prayers for a full recevery for your goat. We had a bunny that had a pinched nerve...he got a few shots of steroids and he got to 85-90%....
Lazy A Ranch and Spa

Featuring....

Tonka: Grulla dun QH gelding
Mr Potatoe Head: QH gelding
R.I.P. Ranger: English Springer Spaniel July 4th,1995-January 27th,2008
Bogey: Tri-colored Beagle spazzoid dog
Mulligan: Lab/Rottie sweetheart dog
Bailey: Lemon Beagle...such a luver
Church: Grey, evil cat
R.I.P.Junior: Grey, pain in the butt cat July,1997-March 10th,2008
R.I.P Back-up. Aussie-mix 1995-Feb 18, 2007
R.I.P. Snoop cat
R.I.P. Paramount's Reknown, Bay Morgan gelding

GO SUN DEVILS!!!!
GO BOILERMAKERS!!!!

#6 brlracr624

brlracr624

Insane and loving it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

She is about 90% now and I'm on the hunt for a good joint supplement for her for the rest of the time. I'm just trying to make sure it is safe for goats and isn't too expensive. I mean a goat dose is probably gonna be almost nil to what a horse needs so I would be good up to about 30-35 buck for a supplement if it will help her be pain free or very close to it.

Slave to my animals
Scout my feline master
JuneBug AMHA bay roan

#7 azgrulla

azgrulla

Scuba diving diva!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

Glad to hear she is better! She must have tweaked something running around.
Lazy A Ranch and Spa

Featuring....

Tonka: Grulla dun QH gelding
Mr Potatoe Head: QH gelding
R.I.P. Ranger: English Springer Spaniel July 4th,1995-January 27th,2008
Bogey: Tri-colored Beagle spazzoid dog
Mulligan: Lab/Rottie sweetheart dog
Bailey: Lemon Beagle...such a luver
Church: Grey, evil cat
R.I.P.Junior: Grey, pain in the butt cat July,1997-March 10th,2008
R.I.P Back-up. Aussie-mix 1995-Feb 18, 2007
R.I.P. Snoop cat