19 replies to this topic

#1 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training & Equine Sales

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

I already have a tail for my gelding so selling it and purchasing another one isn't going to work. All that I've found about weighted tails says you can't just add weight, the tail must be set up for it and no one I've found it willing to fix a tail to accept weights. Anyone know how I can go about doing this WITHOUT purchasing a new tail or know someone who adds weight to existing tails?? THANKS
HORSES
Rustic Elegance "Justyn" 1992 Chestnut TB Gelding

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS
Edison - 2010 Weimaraner (Dog)
Justyce - 2003 Tortishell/Himilayan (Cat)

My Youtube Channel

Hunt & Jump FREE Horse Genetics Game
Posted Image

#2 3 Barrels_2 Hearts_1 Soul

3 Barrels_2 Hearts_1 Soul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

I already have a tail for my gelding so selling it and purchasing another one isn't going to work. All that I've found about weighted tails says you can't just add weight, the tail must be set up for it and no one I've found it willing to fix a tail to accept weights. Anyone know how I can go about doing this WITHOUT purchasing a new tail or know someone who adds weight to existing tails?? THANKS

I have a tail for one of my geldings that has a weight tied into the tail. Im not sure how much the weight is but it is tied into the tail right at the top of the tail on the inside so it stays hidden. I didn't add this weight to the tail, it came like that when I bought it from a friend. It works great especially for one of my geldings that likes to carry his tail high. The tail extension I have is not a big thick heavy tail but it looks natural and with the weight added its just right. Hope this helps. :smilie:
Proud owner of Diamonds N Jay aka "DJ" AQHA

Good Bar Dancer aka "Razz" AQHA

#3 SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

Hotter than fish grease...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

I have no idea how you'd go about weighting a tail not designed for it. Short of selling the tail you have and getting a new one I think you're a bit out of luck on that front.

Could you inject the tail for show and use the tail you have?
Reese - '07 black half welsh mare
Lucy - '06 dark bay Zweibrucker mare

Benjamin - now running in greener pastures - '89-'10 bay TB gelding

Real-Life board buddies: KoolKatsGirl, TheBigRedDog, LostHorseRider, Storey, Texan Jumper, Duke of Hazard, QH_LUV_R, FarmGirl-824, and morningdusk.

"Throw your heart over the jump and the rest will follow." -Dion Dana

#4 CoolRabbit

CoolRabbit

Professional Annoyance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

Could you inject the tail for show and use the tail you have?

Please tell me you are joking.....???
Why set goals?
...because if you aim for nowhere, that's exactly where you'll go!
---------------------------------
The best way to train your horse--work with it. Ride, rinse and repeat!!!
(quote by rnnthesun)

My website (come visit!):
www.janhare.com

www.janhare.com/artbyrabbit

Proud member of the Corn Cob Users Union (Local # HUS8118)

#5 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Yes, NO INJECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!! My horse lives outside most of the time and gets eaten alve by bugs as it is, there is no WAY you could even PAY me enough to inject my horses tail!!!

I know they weigth would need to be about 1-2lbs, but I'm trying to avoid selling the tail I have...I really like it and it works well on my horse. Just wondering if anyone has a smarty ideas about how to add weight to an existing tail.
HORSES

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS

My Youtube Channel

Posted Image

#6 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

3B_2H_1S - how does your weighted tail work for your horse, does it make a difference??
HORSES

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS

My Youtube Channel

Posted Image

#7 Michelle Flood

Michelle Flood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

3B_2H_1S - how does your weighted tail work for your horse, does it make a difference??

We've used a weighted tail. The one we had was specifically designed for a weight - it was a cast iron "bar" that was mounted to the back of the tail. Ours was about 2.5 lbs total. We used it on a Paint that liked to flag his tail. This helped hold it down. He could still swish his tail but couldn't lift it quite as high or as easily. Always managed to lift it high enough when pooping though!

Depending on how much weight you needed, you might try tying fishing weights into your existing tail. You'd need quite a few or some that were especially heavy to do much. I'd start with at least a pound and keep them tied up pretty high so they wouldn't move around too much.

Good luck.

#8 3 Barrels_2 Hearts_1 Soul

3 Barrels_2 Hearts_1 Soul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

The tail that I have has a 1 pound weight added at the top of the tail. Im not exactly how it is put on there but I believe it is just a little fishing weight tied into the hair but I could be wrong (haven't looked at it in a while). When I bought the tail from a friend the weight was already tied in. I can find out about the weight for sure tomorrow when I go back to the barn.
Proud owner of Diamonds N Jay aka "DJ" AQHA

Good Bar Dancer aka "Razz" AQHA

#9 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

Thanks, that'd be great!
HORSES

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS

My Youtube Channel

Posted Image

#10 SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

Hotter than fish grease...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

Nerve blocking works for a few hours, is a common procedure, and is completely safe.

I'm not talking about injecting alcohol.

In short... either you weight the tail with a fake designed for it, deal as is, or find another method to produce the same results. Lots of hunter/jumper people use nerve blocks in the tail on a regular basis without an ill effects or problems with the horse using its tail normally within a few hours.

If you're dealing with a swishing/flagging issue I'd be looking for the root instead of treating the symptom. With every horse I've ever dealt with, including my own who is overly expressive with his tail, it's either pain or pilot error. My horse has to be ridden like a young, hot chestnut mare and be up on his joint meds or his tail is a propeller. It's also a nervous tick that shows up when he's fresh in a new place or anxious about being asked to do something scary like jump a big (8-10 foot wide) open water jump. It's a clear sign when he's tense, you goose him with a spur or his hock or back is sore.
Reese - '07 black half welsh mare
Lucy - '06 dark bay Zweibrucker mare

Benjamin - now running in greener pastures - '89-'10 bay TB gelding

Real-Life board buddies: KoolKatsGirl, TheBigRedDog, LostHorseRider, Storey, Texan Jumper, Duke of Hazard, QH_LUV_R, FarmGirl-824, and morningdusk.

"Throw your heart over the jump and the rest will follow." -Dion Dana

#11 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

I've found the lady who originally made my tail for me and she has offered to add weights for me. Nerve block, alcohol injections are all something I will NEVER do no matter HOW safe someone says it is. If I can get the same results without physically tampering with my horse then I'd rather do it that way, if the weight doesn't work I will continue as is like I always have. Something as cosmetic as how high my horse holds his tail isn't THAT important to me. He doesn't swish or seriously flag his tail, it's very quiet when I ride and only gives a swish if I get into him with my spur or ask him to do a difficult maneuver, he's VERY lazy. But just in pleasure classes going along the rail he's fine...I would just rather he hold his tail a little closer to his butt so the whole picture is just a little cleaner. Here is a video so you can see what I'm talking about.

HORSES

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS

My Youtube Channel

Posted Image

#12 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

Once you go western, you'll never go back

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

His tail is mostly the way he is built, his tail is high up, he cant pack it there, a weighted tail may help. Nerve blocking is illegal by most associations rules, it lasts about 4 months and can lead to horrible complications, plus it is cheating - I am glad you would never do it. Shame on anyone who does.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

Exactly, since he;s NOT a QH he carries his tail the way any TB would, which isn't a bad thing, just the way it's stuck on there. I can't wait to see what a weighted tail is going to look like on him. :)
HORSES

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS

My Youtube Channel

Posted Image

#14 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

You know DLT I have seen WAY worse even on quarter horses, are you sure you need to do anything at all? Have you gotten negative feedback about it somewhere?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

No, no one has actually said anything, this idea got spurred from another video I have (sadly not on the computer) where he's cantering down a rail and something caused him to really tuck his tail, I don't remember feeling it during the class so nothing else changed and I can't even see in the video what caused it but those 7-10 strides looked fantastic with his tail closer to his butt. So YES this is simply a me/vanity issue and truly not that important. It would be similar to wanting a more expensive western show jacket because I think the ones with a bazillion crystals looks nicer, know what I mean! :)
HORSES

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS

My Youtube Channel

Posted Image

#16 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:43 AM

I do, believe me! well it sounds like you found someone to do it and the weighted tails really do work very well. He is a pretty boy so it will only make him more handsome!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Exes!!
HORSES

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS

My Youtube Channel

Posted Image

#18 SilverCharm

SilverCharm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

I can't believe someone would tell you to do that to your horse when it has been proven to kill a horse. Weighted tails right now aren't legal in AQHA, but might be next year. People are hoping it will so that maybe less horses will die from it or at the very least not be able to swish their tails to get the flies. I see so many botched tail jobs in Colorado they look gross with the tails way to the side and all curled up.

Glad you are thinking weighted instead of injecting for vanity sake. :-)

I bet if AQHA does make weights legal for next year people will be posting more on how to add weights to existing tails. :-)

"An exhibitor went up to a horse show judge to complain about being placed below someone who made some sort of mistake, such as being on the wrong lead. the judge's explanation: "the other guy did it better wrong than you did it right."

#19 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

Well just for reference sake (not sure if I can even do this - SORRY Mods if I can't) that the lady who is willing to fix mine is at www.showtailsrus.com and her name is Pat Edwards. I've purchased several tails from her and all were SUPER TOP quality!!!

BTW SilverCharm...LOVE the quote in your signature :)
HORSES

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS

My Youtube Channel

Posted Image

#20 SilverCharm

SilverCharm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

Thanks. Can't remember where I stole it years ago. :-)

"An exhibitor went up to a horse show judge to complain about being placed below someone who made some sort of mistake, such as being on the wrong lead. the judge's explanation: "the other guy did it better wrong than you did it right."