• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stinger

Stinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:16 PM

I'll start from the beginning, may be a bit long. Tuesday, I got my 2 girls vaccinated/coggins/teeth check. With all the hubbub about worming programs, I asked my vet what he thought. He said that my best bet would be to worm with Zimecterin Gold, or any wormer with Ivermectin and Praziquanel, then do a fecal sample in 3 months. OK, I'm good with that.

Friday, I dewormed both of my horses with Zimecterin Gold. While deworming the 2nd, the 1st (Stinger) was itching her face on her leg. I just thought she was trying to rub the dewormer off and continued on with what I was doing. Pulled her out about 10 minutes later to go for a ride, and she was clacking her teeth and mouthing. I walk around to her right side and AAH! The inside of her lower lip is swollen, red, and tender (tennis ball sized). Put in a call to the vet, and when he got there, he gave her a dose of dexamethazone (sp?), and by Saturday morning, the swelling was gone and she was fine, whew!! My other mare, who'd had the same vaccinations and dewormer, had nothing amiss.

BUT, my vet also mentioned he'd never seen a reaction like this, and his only guess was that since she had been vaccinated only a few days before, her immune system was already hyped up and just overreacted. Has anyone heard of reactions like this before, or have any other guesses as to why this happened?

Just to be safe, I won't be using Zimecterin Gold anymore, OR worming within 2 weeks of vaccination. On a happy note, cheapest vet bill EVER. $74 :yahoo:

~Catie Jo
Owned by:
Stingers Known Fax - "Stinger" 1994 APHA/PtHA mare

Tiny Raven Girl - "Raven" 2009 AQHA mare
Heelo: 2007 German Wirehaired Pointer

#2 Transplantedagain

Transplantedagain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

Have never seen a reaction like that, but I'd think it's certainly possible. Have you ruled out all other possibilities? Like, is it possible Stinger got stung, or bitten, coincidentally at about the same time you were worming?

You might get more responses on the health board. Glad it all turned out okay!

#3 Stinger

Stinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

Definitely no chance Stinger was bitten or stung by anything. We still have over a foot of snow on the ground and are lucky if we reach 30F. Besides, it was on the inside of her mouth, so far in that I couldn't even really get pics of it.

~Catie Jo
Owned by:
Stingers Known Fax - "Stinger" 1994 APHA/PtHA mare

Tiny Raven Girl - "Raven" 2009 AQHA mare
Heelo: 2007 German Wirehaired Pointer

#4 Apps4Life

Apps4Life

Chief Turd Burglar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

Umm... it's actually a fairly common reaction with Zim Gold.. if you do a search on the health board you'll see some similar threads.

Personally, I've used it 2 times without issues, but after looking at Equimax, I'll be sticking with that.
Posted Image

BBs Met: ShezaSmokinGun, Mule_Freak's mom =), Kristina, Demon's Mom, SpottedT, MUT, Ratts, Notyo, HFF (and Bella), Pinky, Chey, Lora, Lash, Tuck, BB Blue, Hoofs In Motion, Got Barrels?, Meeker, Tuper, The Sugar Lady, Harley, journeysgirl, BuddyRoo, KatieMay, MizParker, DiamondJake, QuarterFlash, Andi, SweetAddiction, RunninColors, SCSpots, Heidi and FLEquus!

RIP Misty, thank you for teaching me so much

~Samantha~
My Tack for Sale

#5 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,272 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

Yes, there were cases of reactions like that with Zimecterin Gold. It was due to some carrier ingredient in it, not the dewormer itself. But, I thought the manufacturer corrected that.

I asked my vet about it back then, too. This was a few years ago, already. She said she had not ever seen any reactions like that, but had heard of it, too.

I switched to Equimax after hearing about the reactions, even though my horses had never had a bad reaction. I didn't want to take any chances.

BOARD BUDDY CLUB MEMBER I have met 33 board buddies!
MEMBER OF OZLAND SURVIVORS
MEMBER OF THE TURD POSSE - MSTRBKBHRWNS

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

http://www.allbreedp....com/hankie doc

PrettyRosie-1.jpgChiefforsiggy-1-1-2.jpgIMG_0194cropped-1.jpg
Rosie....................Chief...........................Jedi
Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

R.I.P. Snow Chief, August 25, 1980 - April 16, 2009
You were the best trail horse ever.

Old dogs and children, and watermelon wine...

#6 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

Yup, that is a reaction to Zim Gold that is out there that some horses do have a reaction to. I, personally, haven't seen it myself and do use the wormer on occasion.

I like Equimax better however. Though my local stores sell out of it a lot.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."