8 replies to this topic

#1 city-gal

city-gal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,441 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:25 AM

We're trying to come up with a lunch menu for the local senior citizen center. All suggestions and ideas appreciated. Every recipe will be thoroughly evaluated to prepare for an elderly guest. (Low/no salt, Low/no fat salad dressings, etc.)

These lunches will be provided for guests of the City's Senior Center. These guests are NOT patients in a nursing home. They come here to exercise, socialize, do crafts, watch TV together, etc.

What does your Grandma and Grandpa like to eat for lunch??
Thanks,
city-gal

#2 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

BLTs are a big hit with my grandparents
Rice pudding with rasins is another biggie and bread pudding too for desserts
Beef liver and onions
jello with fruit cocktail in it
fresh ripe tomato sandwiches (got a farmers market nearby? Store bought artificially ripened ones dont work..bleh)
Green pea soup
Potato soup
Ham and white northern bean soup (soups for cold days usually)
Chili
my grandpa still loves PB and J at 86 :)
They like alot of "salad" type things too for lunches...Cold noodle saladly type things. 3 bean salad......stuff like that during the hot summer. Potato salad is a biggie round here with hotdogs and baked beans.

Overall they tend to like simple lunches and eat alot of leftovers when possible. They are farm folks tho so fresh and wholesome is really important. My grandpa is diabetic so my grandma uses artifical sweetners or sugar free.

Edited by Trinity, 31 March 2011 - 02:43 AM.

Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#3 Finnigan

Finnigan

Attempting regret-free living!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:50 AM

My Mother-in-Law lives with me. She eats leftover anything for lunches. Mac and cheese and stewed tomatoes, salads, sandwiches. She loves any pasta product, spaghetti being a fave.....
Heather

Proudly owned by...

Finnigan Seamus, 3-year-old beagle mix
Luna, 7-year-old lab mix
Owen, 10-year-old QH gelding

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." John Wesley

#4 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

Crispy oven fried chicken with either flavored bread crumbs or crushed corn flakes/potato chips/tortilla chips as the crumb crust.

Macaroni & cheese made with large elbow noodles, green or caramelized onions,sharp cheddar cheese and a dusting of bread crumbs on top.

Lasagna with Italian sausage (more flavor).
Spaghetti with meat sauce.
*You can also get more veggies into people by making tomato sauces with one quarter of diced zucchini, bell pepper, carrots, celery, onions, rutabaga, mushrooms substituted for the tomatoes in the recipe.

Turkey with herbs slid under the skin of the bird & stuffing with onions,celery,giblets,fresh sage and diced granny smith apples.

Meat loaf with diced onion/celery/bell pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt & fresh ground pepper, regular oatmeal or flavored bread crumbs, egg to bind it together and hard boiled eggs in the center at Easter, tomato sauce or catchup poured over the top.

Corned beef, cabbage, onion, bay leaves, potatoes, carrots, garlic, fresh thyme.

Iceberg wedges with Catalina or thousand island dressing poured over, fresh ground pepper dusted on top.

Shredded carrots, diced celery & apples, raisins, mayo, a tiny bit of fresh ground pepper and sweetener.

Fruit salad with seasonal fruit or canned fruit, raisins, mandarin oranges, diced tart apples, dried coconut,chopped/sliced walnuts or almonds in whipped cream or cool whip

Pasta salad with mayo green onions, sliced olives, pimentos, diced bell peppers/celery, fresh ground pepper.
Pasta salad with Italian dressing all of the above ingredients and chopped canned artichoke hearts.

Potato salad with sliced olives, pimentos, hard boiled eggs, onions, diced celery. Mayo dressing with milk/white vinegar/dried mustard/catchup/juice from olives & pimentos salt & pepper whipped together and poured over the hot potatoes.

Clear Flavored Jello salad with your choice of drained..canned fruit cocktail/cherries/mandarin oranges/peaches/pears/pineapple. Dried coconut.
The salad can be clear or have chilled & whipped sweetened condensed milk or cream or cottage cheese or mayo or cool whip (your choice) stirred in with the fruit before it sets.
Or mix part of the jello with the fruit pour into a cake pan, then mix the rest of the jello with the your choice of condensed milk/cream/cottage cheese/cool whip/mayo and pour over the top of the clear fruit jello for a two layer jello salad.

Pies- any kind add almond extract to kick up flavor.
Cake- exchange apple sauce for oil in recipe.
Fruit crumble- drained canned fruit, sliced frozen or fresh fruit. Cover with oatmeal mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, flour, butter/margarine, vanilla extract.

As people age they lose some of their ability to taste so extra spice in the recipe is important.
Mrs. Dash or fresh herbs for a salt free flavor boost works great.
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#5 HorseLes

HorseLes

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,221 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:04 AM

My grandma likes simple light things for lunch. These are some of the things I remember having with her when I last saw her in Feb.

1/2 of a sandwich and a cup of soup and some chips
last nights dinner leftovers
stuffed tomato with either crab meat or tuna salad and some grapes
a crab cake on some nice greens with a leamon dill hollandaise sauce
Fresh strawberries, mandarin oranges, sliced almonds, shredded parmesan cheese & green onions over baby spinach with raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
Proud Member of the "Met a Board Buddy Club"- BarrelNut & her mom, SixBarrelHorses, MontanaHomesick, Scamp, mea, JumpinIrish4Ever, redrobin, frisco, Hastflicka, Draftiemama & papa, Tab & BF, Flequus, KD & Hubby, cowgirlartist & mom, The Geek, Q-tip, LongingToRun, QHridinGA, HeartFeltFarm, tuper, Shelly and Andy Carter and son, QHShowmanship and Tiffany!.
-Be the change you wish to see in the world--Gandhi
When an optimist finds a worm in an apple, he goes fishing-Barton Thacker

#6 mehpenn

mehpenn

Christian Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,143 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

My grandma, (and my mom nowadays) are light lunch eaters.

Sandwiches (something simple like fried bologna or a tomato and mayo or BLT's), pasta salads, soups... you know, that sort of thing.

But dessert... my grandma LOVED her some sweets with her lunch. She'd have 1/2 a tomato sandwich and a huge slice of cake with a cup of coffee, or a BLT and a slice of pie and coffee.

I guarantee you, offer soups, salads, pastas and sandwiches for lunch and then like an assortment of desserts (sugar free for some) and it'll be a hit.

~Mary~
Penley Farms

~*You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.*~

#7 subliminal

subliminal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

My grandmother was always a light lunch eater, but liked to have options and would pick at stuff. The more options, the happier she was. Then she'd take a bit of this and a little of that. My grandmother did love dessert though. Different cookies and finger desserts the best. Actually, I think she liked all kinds of finger food. Easier to pick that way.

Me, I'm not a senior, but I'm picky so I like options so that I can find something I'll eat.

#8 ruckandride

ruckandride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

I work at a nursing home and I can give you a sample of some of the things that we serve. Also, this is a VERY German/ Norwegian area and that reflects in the food around here.

Lefse
Rice Pudding
Cabbage Rolls
Sauer Kraut and German Sausage
Swedish Meatballs
Potato Dumplings
Burgers
Chicken Alfredo
Mac Salad
Cottage Cheese salads

when I think of a few more I will add them!
krista {}-{}

~here is one little girl that would rather clean a stall than her own room~

#9 feeeeline

feeeeline

Crazy Cat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:36 PM

Crispy oven fried chicken with either flavored bread crumbs or crushed corn flakes/potato chips/tortilla chips as the crumb crust.

Macaroni & cheese made with large elbow noodles, green or caramelized onions,sharp cheddar cheese and a dusting of bread crumbs on top.

Lasagna with Italian sausage (more flavor).
Spaghetti with meat sauce.
*You can also get more veggies into people by making tomato sauces with one quarter of diced zucchini, bell pepper, carrots, celery, onions, rutabaga, mushrooms substituted for the tomatoes in the recipe.

Turkey with herbs slid under the skin of the bird & stuffing with onions,celery,giblets,fresh sage and diced granny smith apples.

Meat loaf with diced onion/celery/bell pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt & fresh ground pepper, regular oatmeal or flavored bread crumbs, egg to bind it together and hard boiled eggs in the center at Easter, tomato sauce or catchup poured over the top.

Corned beef, cabbage, onion, bay leaves, potatoes, carrots, garlic, fresh thyme.

Iceberg wedges with Catalina or thousand island dressing poured over, fresh ground pepper dusted on top.

Shredded carrots, diced celery & apples, raisins, mayo, a tiny bit of fresh ground pepper and sweetener.

Fruit salad with seasonal fruit or canned fruit, raisins, mandarin oranges, diced tart apples, dried coconut,chopped/sliced walnuts or almonds in whipped cream or cool whip

Pasta salad with mayo green onions, sliced olives, pimentos, diced bell peppers/celery, fresh ground pepper.
Pasta salad with Italian dressing all of the above ingredients and chopped canned artichoke hearts.

Potato salad with sliced olives, pimentos, hard boiled eggs, onions, diced celery. Mayo dressing with milk/white vinegar/dried mustard/catchup/juice from olives & pimentos salt & pepper whipped together and poured over the hot potatoes.

Clear Flavored Jello salad with your choice of drained..canned fruit cocktail/cherries/mandarin oranges/peaches/pears/pineapple. Dried coconut.
The salad can be clear or have chilled & whipped sweetened condensed milk or cream or cottage cheese or mayo or cool whip (your choice) stirred in with the fruit before it sets.
Or mix part of the jello with the fruit pour into a cake pan, then mix the rest of the jello with the your choice of condensed milk/cream/cottage cheese/cool whip/mayo and pour over the top of the clear fruit jello for a two layer jello salad.

Pies- any kind add almond extract to kick up flavor.
Cake- exchange apple sauce for oil in recipe.
Fruit crumble- drained canned fruit, sliced frozen or fresh fruit. Cover with oatmeal mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, flour, butter/margarine, vanilla extract.

As people age they lose some of their ability to taste so extra spice in the recipe is important.
Mrs. Dash or fresh herbs for a salt free flavor boost works great.

Ditto. Big ditto.

I don't know what the situation is, C-G, but at the facilities I've worked at (and tradionally in this area) lunch is the big meal of the day. Supper would be something lighter, like soup and a sandwich.

The last place I worked, much of our kitchen staff appreciated the fact they were cooking for a different generation, so there wasn't much lasagna. They LOVED navy bean soup, though. Especially if it was cooked well and carefully seasoned. The staff would wince at it, but the residents would eat it up and ask for more.

Marge Simpson: Lisa, have I ever shown you my shattered-dreams box?
Lisa Simpson: No.
Marge Simpson: It's upstairs, in my disappointments closet.
Lisa Simpson: Oh! Oh.