4 replies to this topic

#1 paintpony1

paintpony1

~down the the bone, shes country

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

I know. I put a sheet on my ponies when its gonna be a cooler summer night. an blanketing bald show horses when its gonna be a cooler summer day - with appropriate blankets of course. but what do you think of this?

driving to a car show with my bf we were going through some farm country. and i noticed some horses turned out among cattle, maybe 5 - and a few of them were wearing blankets. from what i saw, they looked like big thick turnouts - possibly layers. i said something to my boyfrien who has horses and he didnt think much of it. i thought that was weird and the horses looked unhappy and uncomfortable. it reached 80 degrees that day.

my mom tends to do this - keeps a sheet and a turnout on our horses and doesnt take them off - like yesterday when it was a high of 70. i just think thats lazy horseownership.

thoughts?

"You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl."
She loves the outdoors, she is an independent, down to earth, romantic, sensual yet horseshoe tough. She is just as comfortable watching a sunset on the beach in the Hamptons or horse back riding on the trail. She was a tomboy as a girl, ran barefoot, caught butterflies and walked through the rain without an umbrella. People describe her as independent, down to earth, genuine and sassy.

Posted Image

#2 Kyra

Kyra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Absolutely I think it is just lazy. Personally, I'm not a big fan of blanketing(unless there's a real need for it such as the horse being old,sick or clipped), but if it's done right I don't mind it, it's just not what I like to do. But when I see people do things like that, it makes me angry.

On the same street as my barn, there's 4 horses that in general are very well taken care of. But their heavy weight,layered winter blankets(which is kind of over kill here in Kentucky anyway!The horses are young, fat and not clipped) are left on til it's like 80 degrees sometimes. I feel so bad for those horses, and often they will be standing under the trees looking miserable and sweaty.

Friends of mine are really busy, and will leave their 6 horses heavy blankets on until it's 75 degrees because "they didn't have the time to take them off". They are also hot and miserable. When you blanket a horse, you have to make sure and know what the weather is going to be like, and make time to change blankets, or to take them off.

Edited by Kyra, 07 May 2011 - 12:20 PM.

Posted Image
My best friends; Joe, Barra, Dollar, Luna,Hank, Morning and Reena
And one spunky,animated Quarab,Smoke
My Dogs;Chessa and Reese
*RIP* Dobbin. I love you so much!1982-Nov.15 2005
*RIP* Bitsy. Love you!1968-July 19,2006
*RIP* Bella. You are missed!1987-Feb.8,2008
*RIP* Skittles.

#3 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

Thick, layered blankets on an 80 degree day, yes I'd say it's lazy. You never know tho, I've thrown a blanket on my horse when it was predicted to only reach 55 and the temps actually climbed to the mid 70s. I couldn't do anything about it until I got off work, hours later.
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#4 MyDaddysJag

MyDaddysJag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

If you looked at my show horse some days, youd swear he was abused, because he has a heavy blanket on when its in the mid 50's. His legs and underside of his belly have about 2" of hair on them (hes a mini, and gets quite the winter coat) but the rest of him is clipped. When blanketed, you cant tell hes clipped, but its defiantly too cold for the naked boy to be blanketless, unless of course its sunny and not this mid 50's but windy and rainy crap.

#5 Andrea_W

Andrea_W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

There is no need to blanket on such a warm day, and, in fact, I take my blanket off my horse a soon as possible heading into spring. There's nothing better than that first blanketless role in the mud, and it helps their coat and I think their mental state too, to get a really good scratch!

BTW, for anyone who does like a sheet on their horse in spring, Bucas is doing a major give-away of $500 in blankets in a photo contest. If you have great photos of your horse, it's worth entering.
http://www.barnmice....-contest-to-win