Quantcast

Photo

Where Is The Best Place To Live With Horses?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lmm1975

lmm1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

I keep seeing all these studies about the best place to raise kids, earn more money, live longer, live healthier, live happier..... So, I was wondering where you think the best place to live, raise kids, and have horses would be????

Let's factor in cost of living-taxes.....
education..... friendliness of the locals

so what do you think?

I have travelled the U.S. over the years. If I didn't have horses I would say Portland Oregon. But with my horses I really like Virginia. Pretty much any rural part. They seemed to have lots of trails and the people were courteous even the non horse riders, the bikers shared the paths as did hikers. However I hear taxes can be high there.
:D NE Tennessee would be my second choice.

Dream property, 10,000 acres and a house plopped right in the middle of it with mountains around. but I can't afford that.

#2 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

I have lived in 3 states with horses and each has it's benefits and it's down falls.

Financially of the 3, Michigan was the best. Land was cheaper, hay was cheaper and entry fees were cheaper. Michigan had the friendliest competitions by far. Everything was made to be a real family atmosphere.

Showing wise, definately California. You could compete at any level in any event at any time of the year/month/week/day. Hay was quite a bit more expensive, but the weather was good for the most part and you could ride most of the year if you didn't mind the cold rain of the winter months.

Florida is best for year round riding. It gets a bit hot and humid July/Aug, but the rest of the year is great. It is the most expensive state to feed a horse in. Ouch. Unless you can get away with feeding just coastal hay, which I can't. Showing is not as.... advanced? Developed? As California, but then neither was Michigan.
Spotted T Riding Blog

I've met board buddies! - Quincy's Keeper, Cutter123, LongingToRun, Cowgurl*, Horseygrrl, RoyalBTBs, RixKatToy, Blonde on a Warmblood, Tuckit, BrokeBackCoolBreeze, Forever in Blue Genes, NitrousForce, Holy Jeezers, Demon's Mom, Cowgirlartist, Draftiemama, PineBarSissy, Hastflicka, Shelly Carter, Pinky, Tuper, Flequus, Poldi, Rockabillygal, SmokeyJoe, BB Blue, Tab, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Florida Cowgirl, Little Cow, Tuck, Hoofs In Motion, Ratts, Notyo, Apps4Life, Lash, Loranbama, Heart Felt Farms, LuckE, First String Farms, The Sugar Lady, Spring Storm, SCspots, Runnin'Colors & Heidi n Q!!! That's 47, how many you got?

Posted Image

#3 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

I've always lived in the midwest (IA, IN and now IL). We have lots of state parks in IL with horse trails and camping. Within an hour of me there are two city owned parks with horse trails as well that we enjoy riding. Shawnee National Forest is only 2 hours south of us and they have wonderful trails and camping places. We have met a lot of wonderful people on the trails and at the campgrounds. We also have a few boarding barns within an hour of our house that do fun shows, team sorting, ranch rodeos, etc year round. If it wasn't for the crooked politicians and state goverment issues, I'd like the state a lot more.

I've always wanted to head down to TN and live closer to the mountains.
Board buddies I've met: Doublelhorses, Trail-Rider, DeLucky2, blaze1, HorseLuvrinIL

#4 equinitis

equinitis

Due to the cost of ammunition, don't expect a warning shot.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

My house!

Ride, ride, ride!!!

#5 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

I own horse property in two states, for ME and MY situation, the NM place is the better of the two.
Posted Image

#6 lmm1975

lmm1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

cool, I didn't know about the cost of hay out in the southwestern states. I certainly didn't realize FL was so expensive to own horses and care for them properly.

I am living in Ohio right now--frozen tundra in the winter and we have had severe storms every nite for what seems like a month now. Yuck. I took my daughter to Mohican park the other day and she loved it. They have a riding trail, seemed nice.

I used to live in Alabama and it was nice there. Not so many nosy neighbors crowded up on me there. Here land is more expensive and so I only have a little place. I live in Amish country so lots of horses around, but not necessarily horse activities like good shows.... training clinics and such. They do have them, but they are far and few between. Plus here the time I get to go outdoors is limited to far too few months.

Around here the amish people drive their horse and buggies on the roads and by roads I mean highway 250 and 30. yikes!!!!! They do have what are called buggy lanes, but I have seen horses frightened and jump into traffic. Just down the road I drove around a curve to see a semi and a buggy have a bit of an issue- luckily everyone was okay. the buggy was very beat up as it flipped, but only minor physical injuries to horse and folks in the buggy.

So even with all the horses around, some folks hate horses just bc they get "stuck" behind them in traffic. However it is easy to find good farriers at really good prices, hay is almost never an issue, and it is easy to find someone to horsesit if I needed to be gone overnight.

As for events around horses, they have lots of fairs around here. every county has one and lots of events for riders of all ages and disciplines.

But I miss the hot humid south.