5 replies to this topic

#1 SillyFilly27

SillyFilly27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 318 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hey there!
I've been finding this small beetles hanging out under my horses corner grain feeder in his stall. I have no idea how to kill them aside from stepping on them that would be safe for my horse. I've been trying to do some reasearch online. One site mentioned diatomaceous earth but I've never heard of it before. I saw them also near my grain and hay upstairs. I keep my grain in a sealed container and clean it out before putting in new bags every 2-3 weeks, although I probably do drop a few pieces as I measure it out for my horse each day. Most of what I'm reading is that they are attracted to grain bits, which makes sense to me since that's where I'm finding them (my TB likes to toss his grain around as he eats it, so about 15% ends up on the stall floor).

Any idea how to get rid of these things and are they toxic to horses?
Jenny

I know one little girl who would rather whisper to ponies than talk to boys.

There are times when you can trust a horse, times when you can't, and times when you have to.

#2 Graywolf 1

Graywolf 1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

Yes they are toxic to horses if it's what I think you are describing. Do a google search to see a picture of the "Blister Beetle". They are also very attracted to alfalfa hay. Typically I can kick them away and they will scatter if I bang on the feed bowl. I only see them at certain times of the year. I do not spray my stalls with insecticides, but I am very cautious with checking my feed and water buckets before feeding and shaking out my hay in the stalls to make sure none are hiding in there. I HATE the darn things! After eight years in this barn with three horses and two mini donkeys, I haven't (knock on wood!) had anyone of them sick.

#3 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Please be aware that there are two kinds of Diatomaceous Earth:
1st is natural that is ground to a fine powder and is used for gardens and pest control.

2nd is for swimming pools. The pool grade is chemically treated and partially melted and consequently contains crystalline silica which can be a respiratory hazard.

You can buy Diatomaceous Earth at many places that sell plants. Our Home Depo carries one or two pound bags. You can mix it with water and spray it in areas you want to protect.
We use it in our veggie garden as a chemical free insect killer.
When we built the house a couple of old timers told us to mix it with boric acid and put it between the slab/frame/insulation to keep out termites and other bugs.
Our neighbors down the road built a home at the same time and have termite damage.
We, don't.
When your handling the dry powder it can irritate you nose & mouth if it is being applied dry. So wear one of those cheap fabric like dust masks when handling the dry powder. It feels like you've got sand up your nose & mouth. Rinsing with water helps.

Edited by dondie, 03 June 2011 - 01:33 PM.

Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#4 qheventer

qheventer

Author & Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

I think blister beetles have stripes down their back?

We have solid black beetles that get into everything this time of year. They crawl in the feed, in the hay, in the hay buckets, water buckets you name it. I've noticed it for several years and we've never had a problem with them. I don't know how to get rid of them though.

Writing, riding, and hanging on! @F_J_Thomas

#5 Indianshuffler

Indianshuffler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:41 AM

Aren't blister beetles a threat more known to be in August hay than present around a barn at this time of the year?
If you find out what they actually are, please post a pic and let us know.
People who will tell you the brutal truth when needed are keepers

#6 Indianshuffler

Indianshuffler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:51 AM

Found this interesting
http://www.chronofho...ad.php?t=228384

and came across this as well
http://www.ca.uky.ed...facts/ef102.asp