34 replies to this topic

#1 Zoe84

Zoe84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:09 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm at my wits end with this debilitating health condition. For the last 12 years I have had numerous headaches per week, and at least one bad migraine a month. I have tried a lot of things. I've been on clinical trails, had acupuncture, massage, physio, chiros, naturopath, homeopath, diets, plus medications (preventative & ones that treat it). I rotate around all painkillers, and they've all stopped working. They interfere with my life; my work, my social life & especially riding. Does anyone else get these and if so what have u tried and how do you treat it??? I've just finished a 5 day headache with a migraine in between with vomiting and dizziness etc. I can't take anymore. I'm yet to try hypnotherapy....has anyone tried this for any condition?
thanks in advance!!

#2 Tardystepsaver1

Tardystepsaver1

Live Your Life As If It Is Your Last Day!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:02 AM

I used to get them all time. I have went to the hosp. and the doc office to get shots for them and they put me out. I just went off of my birth control in March because of other health probs. And I really have not have much of them since then, I might get one or two headaches but nothing like I did. I was almost calling off of work once a week because the Migraines I even had to get FMLA because they was getting so bad.

I liked Advil but I can't take it no more because of blood thinners I'm on. And I take hot showers they seem to help me.

Hope that helps some.
Love my PONIES

T.J. 24 yrs 1988-2012

Opie 13 yrs

Spook 13 yrs

Posted Image

#3 ¤PaintJumper2oo4¤

¤PaintJumper2oo4¤

nice to meet you neeeeighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:49 AM

Well, I hate to say it, but welcome to my world! It is no fun and I understand the pain and agony of frequent headaches and migraines.

Mine are sinus related almost always. If I feel it coming on at home, I immediately take the hottest shower I can handle and stand with my face right into the stream of the water and massage my face all over. Usually that helps, but not always. If it doesnt go away then I will take meds, usually acetaminophen. I really like BC powders (or Goody's powders, same thing) when I'm at work, they have caffiene in them as well that helps to dilate blood vessels, but are hard on your stomach so I take them sparingly.

I assume you have had all the regulars CAT scans and MRI done right? If not, you really need to. Your answer may lay in those scans.

Sorry you have to deal with this, I never wish this on my worst enemy, let alone a friend.

#4 Tomann

Tomann

Ragtimedelsmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

I get headaches often and lately I'll take Alka-Seltzer. As much as I hate aspirin-based stuff, it seems to help. The taste is AWFUL though! Another thing that helps is putting a heating pad or ice pack (if one doesn't help, I'll switch) directly on my face. I'll put myself in a dark room and try to fall asleep.
"A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care". ~Pat Parelli

Proudly owned by husband, son (April 2008), daughter (July 2010), 1992 Appaloosa mare (Exceller x Delightful Del)and 2011 Appaloosa gelding (Jacks N Kings x Bugs Choclit Bayou).

#5 desputedwestern

desputedwestern

LIFE IS TOUGH... GET A HELMET

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

I get them too. The only thing that has ever worked for me is caffine. I get Tylenol ultraand it usually works for me. I have a very short window to take it or i'm in trouble. I have learned it easier to take something than to suffer. I also have a prescirption that i can take if I have too. If I take that one I'm out for a few hours. I have to sleep it off. I've been lucky the last few years I have found out what works for me and it makes a huge difference. I also find if I drink a very strong cup of coffee that will also help.
Three Quarter Farms, home of World Champion Sire, Royal Invitation
Join royal On Facebook!!!!!

My Website

RIP Arts Bay Lady ~ April 11, 2000 to June 25, 2010 ~ you left us far to soon ~ Until we meet again
RIP Blarney ~ December 10, 2005 ~ my love and my best friend~ until we met agian.

#6 onesweetfrog

onesweetfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

I feel your pain!! The only thing I found that helps me is to stay hydrated...always. If I don't drink enough water, they headaches are always worse, though it doesn't stop them altogether.

Advil is my friend, but like Desputed said, there's a short time frame to take it or you may as well be eating smarties :surrender:

I have been dealing with these for about 15 years myself. I don't get more than a couple days a week that are headache free. No doctors seem to take me seriously. I am finally scheduled for a cat-scan on Wednesday...the last couple headaches I've had I've lost partial eyesight during them. Apparently they take THAT seriously!

Its interesting to see how many people suffer from this and how other people deal with it, though I wish nobody had to deal with them!

Proud Member of the No Judgement Club

Foxy's Golden Rule R.I.P - See ya at the Rainbow Bridge baby Jem.

#7 psmitty

psmitty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

Maria has some level of migraine nearly every day. Has since she was a teen.

The only thing that has worked for her is Imetrix (sumatriptan succinate) in the pill and injectable form. Has been a lifesaver for her.

#8 Skipatardy

Skipatardy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

:( I know how you feel. I've had migraine headaches for so many years I've lost count! I've tried bio-feedback with no luck - when I was living in Houston I went to a headache clinic (in the 80's). The doctor put me on Sansert. NO MORE HEADACHES AT ALL - NOT EVEN ONE, EVER ---- however, it really messed up my thyroid and no telling WHAT else and my hair started to thin out something terrible. I had been taking Cafergot for years - ergotamine tartrate and caffeine - didn't like the way it made me feel, but it did help the migraines. NOW the FDA has pulled it from the market in the US but I found it at a Canadian Pharmacy. It's the ONLY medication I can take! I tried all the new meds on the market - I have an allergic reaction to ALL of them - Imitrex (sp?) put me in the hospital! It was just a scare BUT let me tell you -- I WAS SCARED! I know so many people that take Imitrex and I am so sorry I can't tolerate it. They tell me it's a wonder cure. My migraines are, at least partly, caused by diet - preservatives are at the top of the list - of course CHOCOLATE. I do TRY and watch what I eat and I can tell when I've been cheating, too! I have a friend that goes in for theraputic massage therapy and that helps her.
I hope you can get some help - migraines are BAD company! Best of luck and lots of hugs.... :huggy:

Edited by Skipatardy, 06 June 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#9 gaitinalong

gaitinalong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

I never got them bad enough to throw up but I did used to get them.

They quit when I stopped drinking dark colas, like Coca-Cola; Pepsi; RC.

That means if one tips a few whiskeys now and then, adding dark colas to it is out of the question.

Too much chocolate will still give me one of those headaches but not as severe as dark cola used to.

I still get frequent headaches but they are driven by back issues - they are in a different place in my skull than the "cola" migraines used to be.

#10 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

I used to get migraines pretty frequently when I was younger, now I get maybe 1 or 2 a year. They were really bad, I would have to leave work and call someone to come drive me home. The only thing that helped was to sleep (if possible) it off in a cool dark room. Everyone has different triggers it seems, food, allergies, stress, etc. I could NOT eat chocolate at night or I would wake up with a migraine. Stress at work would cause tension in my neck and then a migraine. My doctor prescribed Imitrex and that really helped. Then in 1996 I had a hysterectomy and WHAM....headaches almost disappeared completely. Appears they were mostly hormone related. Now if I do get one it is not as severe, I can take OTC Exedrin Migraine, rest and I'm good. I think migraines are a great medical mystery.....I had all kinds of tests too....no answer. I totally sympathize with you. Ask your doc about the hormone issue.

#11 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,043 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

i truly think with females migraines are often hormone-related. I come from a long line of migraine-having females. My mom's side of the family is *terrible* and I thought I lucked out and got my dads genetics, until within the last year and half or so. I've been getting them more and more frequently.

On the upside, my aunts who have gone thru menopause said they have NO more migraines....so I guess that's promising. lol. just gotta wait another 30 years or so. sigh.

My boss's husband is a Dr, and last time I had a migraine he gave me something called Relpax. It worked pretty well, I still had the dizzy/vertigo/blurred vision, but the pain subsided and so it was tolerable.
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#12 JumperOverWater88

JumperOverWater88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

I get headaches all the time. I'm pretty sure it's allergy or preassure related because I can go weeks without having one and then BAM get three or four within a week.

Nothing really helps anymore. Use to take excedrin migraine but I think I got use to it because it doesn't work anymore.
22766_747764112828_26724985_42120426_201

I've Met A HC Buddy: FloridaCowGirl!

#13 ohNine

ohNine

Cowgirls don't cry...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

Do you drink diet soda or consume things with artificial sweeteners in them?

I have heard of a couple cases in which these things can cause horrible migraines. For me, I don't get a migraine, but I will get a headache if I have more than a half of a diet soda.

If you do, try cutting them out for a while and see what happens.
...Boots are made for sawdust floors, stirrups on a quarter horse. To kick yourself when you've been a fool, climbin' up on bar stools. Two steppin' under neon lights, ain't too bad in a bar room fight. For kickin' off when you're tired and sore, that's what boots are for...

#14 subliminal

subliminal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

I have heard of a couple cases in which these things can cause horrible migraines. For me, I don't get a migraine, but I will get a headache if I have more than a half of a diet soda.

This is me. Well, artificial sweeteners aren't my only trigger but I've had some of my worst migraines as a result of them. It really doesn't matter what sweetener, all of them seem to bother me. Aspartame and Splenda bother me the most. I avoid them, but every once in a while, someone cooks with splenda, I don't realize it and end up with a blinding migraine.

Weather is another big trigger for me. Changes in the barometric pressure bother me a lot. Strange sleep patterns also result in migraines.

I get fewer now than I used to. Knowing triggers has helped a lot. Somethings I can't control (weather), but I take steps before the migraine starts to limit its impact. Drinking lots of water and taking birth control pills has also decreased the number of migraines I have.

I do have imitrex, but I get so shaky and sometimes sick from it so I usually avoid it, unless I'm in the position to hide and sleep in a dark room for several hours.

#15 ¤PaintJumper2oo4¤

¤PaintJumper2oo4¤

nice to meet you neeeeighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

Forgot to mention-

My doctor gave me a trial size of a new med called Relpax, he told me to take one at the VERY first sign of a migraine coming on. This med is more of a preventative, but it did take the pain away before it got horrible. I took this pill during a spell of migraines I had and it knocked the cycle off. It was wonderful! Might want to ask your Dr. about that :)

As I type this I'm sipping a strong cup of coffee and holding a heat pack to my forehead, I'm trying to kick one.

#16 Blondyb

Blondyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

Now that I am single, whenever I get a headache/migraine I pop Excedrin and it seems to work but...

have you tried sex as a relief? I know most people don't want to do much of anything when they have a headache, but the endorphins that are released really do help....anytime when I wasn't single and I had a headache, I would grab my guy and have fun! And it worked!

If you have tried everything else, it is worth a shot. If nothing else, you have a good time.

Also, I am not trying to be perverted but even self love seems to help some if you are single. For some reason, not as much as the real thing but hey, every bit helps.

Also, wanted to add. Get off the caffeine if you take any form of caffeine. It triggers it in me sometimes. Try to reduce any sugar intake as well.

Edited by Blondyb, 06 June 2011 - 02:00 PM.

"Wait...what? Horse overpopulation is a problem because we can no longer be paid to have our fuglies conveniently killed for us? Wow. And here I thought the problem was irresponsible breeding." -RaggedyAlice

"Imagine a king who fights his own battles. Wouldn't that be a sight?"

"You're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never ever choose to be."

"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home."

--Stephen King

Jazz The Spazz
Posted Image Posted Image

#17 GeneralMyBaby

GeneralMyBaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

I've been getting frequent headaches/migraines for about five years now. Dizzy, nauseous,blurred vision, they even mess with my hearing. Doctors are absolutely no help, I've been told everything from brain tumor to I'm just a teenager faking to get out of school. (I'm homeschooled, and don't like doctors very much. Kinda seems like faking mysterious headaches would be a bad plan, no?) The only doctor who's really given me any answers is an opthomologist. He says there's swelling behind my eyes, but without a spinal tap, he doesn't know if that's the issue or not.

Advil works if I can get it ASAP when I feel a headache coming on. But we're talking immediately, there's no point even trying after the first couple minutes.

Humidity seems to bring on the worst ones for me. I can't even have a very hot shower anymore. Curling up in a cool, dark room is about the only thing that helps. But if I fall asleep, I have really vivid nightmares and wake up freaked out and still in pain. The norm for me is to have some evel of headache 5-6 days/week. Not always in the same spot, and not always the same type of sensation (Pressure, pounding, crushing, stabbing, etc)
In Perfect Love And Perfect Trust

#18 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

Maria has some level of migraine nearly every day. Has since she was a teen.

The only thing that has worked for her is Imetrix (sumatriptan succinate) in the pill and injectable form. Has been a lifesaver for her.

Just a warning! My doc tried this with me when I was younger (still in HS). It can react with certain anti- depression meds. And just with some people. Unfortunately with me, I react to it and instead of helping I get even more dizzy and throw up constantly. :ashamed0002: That was my experience with it. nothing like going to an ER, having the doctor ask about it.. telling them how it reacted to you.. having them NOT believe me.. give it to me anyway.. and be constantly throwing up until the doctor manages his way back and goes "Oh she's still throwing up?" and the nurse who believed me giving him the biggest glare. :rolleye0014:

I used to get constant head aches back in HS. Including my first migraines that sent me hospital bound. I found that going to sleep in a darkened room when I felt them coming on was a good way to prevent. But sometimes you just can't do that. I would HIGHLY suggest getting your blood pressure tested and then monitored over a few weeks. This played a roll in mine as my blood pressure fluctuates. When it gets high is when my headaches start.

I also found another trigger.. as of late our AC was kind of on the fritz. Didn't know why had an appointment to clear it up. I was having a lot of headaches for no reason.. found out that my freeon was just BARELY leaking from the AC. And I guess getting blown into the air.. tightened up the leak and bam headaches were gone again.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."

#19 brlracr624

brlracr624

Insane and loving it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

I was diagnosed with migraines at 14, but my mom and sitter said they had seen signs since I was 1 or 2 years old. I went to a neurologist and for about a year we tried all different kinds of preventative meds. Imitrex makes me more sick to my stomach than anything and while it did help my migraine the nausea and vomiting wasn't worth it. Relpax didn't do a thing for me, and Depakote gave me the freakiest as in scary dreams.

I have hormonal, sinus and tension migraines. I also get cluster headaches that hit behind my right eye. A migraine hits behind me left. I know it sounds very wierd but if I have a bowel movement it seems to help. Something to do with the toxins building up in my system and my digestive issues. I have food triggers, smell triggers and about the only time I don't have migraines is when I'm pregnant. Which I don't suggest as this pregnancy has landed me in the hospital 4 times already and I'm only 16 weeks.

If you have tried all the things you listed then hypnotherapy is def worth a try. I know something I found that helps is a giant pepsi or coke, 3 generic exedrin and a nap. It is the only thing that seems to help worth a dang. Is it hard on your system probably, but so is a migraine. So if I have my choice I would rather be pain free.

I got mine from my mom and dad. Both of them get migraines quite a bit. My mom and dad both have gotten really healthy over the past few years and they said eating healthier foods have really helped as has excersize. They just eat healthy and have one true free day where they can eat anything. My mom excersizes 5 days a week where my dad is more the "norm" and tries to excersize a few times a week but working 14 hours some days it is hard.

I really wish there was an easier answer but I don't think there ever is for anyone. Each migraine sufferer is different as are their triggers and meds that work. I hope you find something that works for you as I know what migraines can do to a persons life.
BB's I've met...Tazzin, Trinity, NCtrailgirl, DixieBelle, Loverofhorses36, edenn3583 and Lynnehall67

Slave to my animals
Tank my loving Heeler mix
Scout my feline master
JuneBug AMHA bay roan
Jinky the wonder goat Went to greener pastures 10/27/11

#20 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training & Equine Sales

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

What is your diet like? Sleep pattern? Do you have any stress in your life? I was having really bad migraines for a while and at the time couldn't see much reason behind it. Once I got a handle (meaning a plan) to get out of my $20K in CC debt and left my then (leech) of a Boyfriend I haven't had any since. I didn't THINK at the time that those things could even be a cause but they obviously were. I still get them here and there but not nearly as bad as I used to and mine are usually either caffiene or stress related. I go through phases where I drink a soda every day and then I go a month without and those first few days are killer.
HORSES
Rustic Elegance "Justyn" 1992 Chestnut TB Gelding

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS
Edison - 2010 Weimaraner (Dog)
Justyce - 2003 Tortishell/Himilayan (Cat)

My Youtube Channel

Hunt & Jump FREE Horse Genetics Game
Posted Image

#21 Zoe84

Zoe84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:26 AM

thanks heaps for your replies. While I'm grateful to discuss this with other people I'm so sorry that you have to go thru this as well. I have tried almost everything, had CT scans, x rays, MRI etc. blondyb thanks for your suggestion! I try it all the time and at the time it goes, but afterwards it comes back 10 times worse. Same with exercise and laughing. Like a few of you I have tried the preventative meds - cost an absolute fortune, and it took 3 hours to work. I couldn't really see the point as sometimes they dissappear by themselves. there is no correlation between anything and my headaches, apart from hormones slightly. Apart from a hysterectomy I don't know how to treat hormone migraines and am always on the lookout for new relief. Although I have no interest in having kids now I might one day so I don't think I'll get that operation! Same as most of you, I just have to go to bed, my whole house has dark curtains that lets no light thru, (as you would know even a slither or of light is pure agony) I have icepacks that I rotate and put on my head.
I've tried most diets, I went off dairy and sugar (ANYTHING with sugar, fructose, lactrose etc) for 2 years when I was about 17 (my dad did it with me for support, isn't that nice?!) but no relief, and just recently a homeopathic diet which included NOTHING!! tried that for 8 months with improved overall health but no let up with headaches. My Oma and my dad get them, I think it's a combination of genetic and hormonal. My dad's have lessened and the only thing he can put it down to is not eating red meat any more. Have you ever heard of that? I don't eat much sugar, I stay away from oranges and tomatoes (especially sun dried) as the acidity can sometimes cause them. I have been on the pill, had the injection, and the implanon in my arm, didn't help.
Caffeine helps, and I've tried going off it completely (going cold turkey is AWFUL!! Those withdrawal headaches are murder!) and I feel better for it but still headaches. Desert Lane Training I always think of stress immediately, but my life is relatively stress free, I ride my beautiful horses every day and they help so much to relax me. Although I worry about money, we all do hey. Before I take painkillers I try tiger balm, and lavender oil then take the painkillers as a last resort, coz I know how bad they are for you! Due to falls off horses I have hurt my back quite badly (bulging discs) and my neck is always sore and tight, but I have been getting headaches since I was about 10 and my falls were after that. I am trying reflexology aimed at hormones this friday but I'm so sick of spending money that I'd rather be spending on my horses!! This morning I woke up and my head was finally clear and I feel on top of the world! One of my most frustrating things I experience being a migraine sufferer, and you all probably see it too, is people that think they have one? They're watching TV, or shopping, or talking on their phone, and saying, oh I've got the worst migraine. Really?? I don't think so! If you had a real migraine you would be locked away in a dark room vomiting and not wanting to talk to anyone!
Thank you all for you comments. Best wishes to everyone, and fingers crossed for headaches free days :)

#22 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:46 AM

I dont get them too often,but my boyfriend does. He is on painkillers. I see how much pain he is in and I wouldnt wish that on ANYONE. Look at it this way Zoey,if this new remedy works you can stop the other treatments and have the extra money for your horses! Good luck,i hope it helps you.
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Little Twister-4yr John Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt
RIP 2/5/12 Riley-22yr Appaloosa Gelding~always in my heart. Love ya old man. </3

You can't beat a dead horse,but you can drag it around the square!

You know you're a horse person when...
your boyfriend complains that you love your horse more than you love him and you say: "And your point is..?"
...no one wants to ride in your car because they'll get sweet feed and hay in their socks and on their clothes...but that's ok because you'll have to rearrange all the tack to make room for them anyway!

#23 nick

nick

joan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,275 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

do you grind your teeth at night, and have you been to your dentist lately? your jaw might be crooked, not an uncommon thing, which could set off a whole list of maladies from the jaw up and down.
nick

#24 ohNine

ohNine

Cowgirls don't cry...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:54 AM

thanks heaps for your replies. While I'm grateful to discuss this with other people I'm so sorry that you have to go thru this as well. I have tried almost everything, had CT scans, x rays, MRI etc. blondyb thanks for your suggestion! I try it all the time and at the time it goes, but afterwards it comes back 10 times worse. Same with exercise and laughing. Like a few of you I have tried the preventative meds - cost an absolute fortune, and it took 3 hours to work. I couldn't really see the point as sometimes they dissappear by themselves. there is no correlation between anything and my headaches, apart from hormones slightly. Apart from a hysterectomy I don't know how to treat hormone migraines and am always on the lookout for new relief. Although I have no interest in having kids now I might one day so I don't think I'll get that operation! Same as most of you, I just have to go to bed, my whole house has dark curtains that lets no light thru, (as you would know even a slither or of light is pure agony) I have icepacks that I rotate and put on my head.
I've tried most diets, I went off dairy and sugar (ANYTHING with sugar, fructose, lactrose etc) for 2 years when I was about 17 (my dad did it with me for support, isn't that nice?!) but no relief, and just recently a homeopathic diet which included NOTHING!! tried that for 8 months with improved overall health but no let up with headaches. My Oma and my dad get them, I think it's a combination of genetic and hormonal. My dad's have lessened and the only thing he can put it down to is not eating red meat any more. Have you ever heard of that? I don't eat much sugar, I stay away from oranges and tomatoes (especially sun dried) as the acidity can sometimes cause them. I have been on the pill, had the injection, and the implanon in my arm, didn't help.
Caffeine helps, and I've tried going off it completely (going cold turkey is AWFUL!! Those withdrawal headaches are murder!) and I feel better for it but still headaches. Desert Lane Training I always think of stress immediately, but my life is relatively stress free, I ride my beautiful horses every day and they help so much to relax me. Although I worry about money, we all do hey. Before I take painkillers I try tiger balm, and lavender oil then take the painkillers as a last resort, coz I know how bad they are for you! Due to falls off horses I have hurt my back quite badly (bulging discs) and my neck is always sore and tight, but I have been getting headaches since I was about 10 and my falls were after that. I am trying reflexology aimed at hormones this friday but I'm so sick of spending money that I'd rather be spending on my horses!! This morning I woke up and my head was finally clear and I feel on top of the world! One of my most frustrating things I experience being a migraine sufferer, and you all probably see it too, is people that think they have one? They're watching TV, or shopping, or talking on their phone, and saying, oh I've got the worst migraine. Really?? I don't think so! If you had a real migraine you would be locked away in a dark room vomiting and not wanting to talk to anyone!
Thank you all for you comments. Best wishes to everyone, and fingers crossed for headaches free days :)

You don't mention cutting out sugar SUBSTITUTES. Have you tried that before?
...Boots are made for sawdust floors, stirrups on a quarter horse. To kick yourself when you've been a fool, climbin' up on bar stools. Two steppin' under neon lights, ain't too bad in a bar room fight. For kickin' off when you're tired and sore, that's what boots are for...

#25 Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training

Desert Lane Training & Equine Sales

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

With all those diets you mentioned you said that you cut all of this out and all of that out, but you didn't really say what your diet consists of (diet being what you DO eat regularly)...you don't want to cut out stff from your diet you want nice balanced meals and exercise...if your body is well fed and healthy then your headaches may go away...
HORSES
Rustic Elegance "Justyn" 1992 Chestnut TB Gelding

OTHER FURRY FRIENDS
Edison - 2010 Weimaraner (Dog)
Justyce - 2003 Tortishell/Himilayan (Cat)

My Youtube Channel

Hunt & Jump FREE Horse Genetics Game
Posted Image

#26 Kaleimamo

Kaleimamo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

Throughout high school I would get a headache literally every Monday. If we were off on Monday and came back on Tuesday, I would get one then. Since I graduated, I've still had them, not as frequent though. I can actually go a week without one sometimes, which is awesome! If I go swimming, I get one. If I drive for over an hour, I get one, even if I wear sunglasses when it's sunny. The really bad ones I get queasy..

Migraines are the worst. Usually a day or so before 'that time of the month' I get a really severe one, to the point all I can do is doze all day.

For regular headaches, I drink a hot cup of coffee or I lay down with a hot water bottle or heat pad on my forehead.

Music and horses are my life....

But my music would probably make your ears bleed (and no it's not rap...)

Posted Image

#27 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

A woman that I know, had a P.E.T./C.T. combo scan that found problems in the blood flow & synaptic actions within her brain. Morphine for the pain and having medically induced comas when her daily migraine gets really, really bad are her only options. She had to go on permanent disability and is participating in a clinical drug trial that seems to work better than the current meds.

Two Excedrin and going to sleep in a dark, quiet room when I get auras, flickers in my vision or my left side has tingles or numbness will normally stop it. If I'm some where and can't go to sleep three Excedrin and a cola will over caffeine it for couple of hours. But, when it comes back a second time, it is really bad!
A neurologist suggested crying. When you cry your body gets rid of excess adrenalin in the tears. It's the adrenalin that starts migraines. So crying can help. Even if you have to sniff a fresh cut onion to start it! :mecry: is good!

I've had migraines from the time I was seven or eight. My parents thought I'd had a stroke, semi-paralysis of the left side of my body, slurred speech, drooping facial muscles. By the time we made it to the ER, I'd fallen asleep in the car with a blanket over my head & was fine.
Mine require one trigger from each category:

1. stress (even being excited about something, can be seen as stress to my system :rolleye0014: ), anger, fear, arguments, loud music, flickering or flashing or strobe lights (some low light level florescent lights have a slow pulse that are bad too),shows or movies that have rapid jerks or flashing changes, not enough sleep.

2. caffeine, colas & coffee & tea (even de-caff still has enough in it too), dried or processed or canned or aged meats, choclates (any form), aged or processed cheese, MSG, Nitrates.

I have a real problem with most medications and can be easily overdosed. I have to request a child's dose on all prescribed medications. All of the migraine meds have been worse than the cure. I was given an ergot based med as a kid and had a reaction like someone on LSD, screaming, flipping out. My parents had to wrap me in a blanket to keep me from tearing off my face.

Until I was 18, I thought I was crazy. My father kept saying that I had headaches as a way to get attention (male ER MD idea). I only got them at Easter, Christmas day, birthdays, first day of camping and other special events. I figured that anyone who wanted to miss out on all the fun (me) had to be insane.
When I was 18 and staying with relatives in southern CA I had a bad one. The ER was five minutes away and the doctor saw the whole thing. So she asks what was different on the day of or the day before I had migraines? Did I eat any different foods on those days?...Chocolate candy & cake, peperoni pizza, canned bacon on the 1st day of camping.
My mom didn't let us have candy/sweets when we were kids except for special days or events and she hated pizza so we only had it at friend's parties.

My migraines, are inherited.
At least one person (male or female) in every generation on my father's side of the family has them.
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#28 RopingBarrels

RopingBarrels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

This is me too...especially store bought bakery items. Apparently they use some sort of sweetener that is sweeter than sugar, and our loaded up on sugar, and man I sure get headaches from eating that stuff...took a few months to figure it out, but I'm sure that's what caused them
"That bull stomped on him like a duck on a june bug." ~Don Gay

"Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight" Proverbs 3:5-6

#29 Zoe84

Zoe84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

Dondie I'm sure glad I don't get what u suffer from. Especially as a child, it would be so hard to deal with.
I'm nearly 100% sure mine are not diet related. My non sugar diets do include cutting out all sugar subsitutes & artificial sweeteners. I can eat so good & still get them & vice versa. For example this Easter for 2 weeks straight I was eating chocolate all day every day with hardley any headaches. I have had my eyes checked twice & been to a specialist dentist for my teeth. When I was studying equine massage a horse dentist came to talk to us & told us a story about a wonderful athlete (human!) who would run 100m then collapse with a bad migraine. Apparently it was his teeth & they fixed him up. After hearing that I went & got checked, even though I'm no great athlete ha ha! I've also cut out yeast/wheat. The only diet correlation is oranges, tomatoes, pizza, Chinese food (msg probably) and red wine, but it's still not consistent enough to lock it in. And dondie crying works the opposite for me! Sometimes I don't have a headache at all & then one will appear after I'm crying about something. Same as just the other day my migraine was so bad & I was so angry & frustrated I had to stop myself from crying as i knew it would be so much worse!
I'll let u know how the reflexology goes!

#30 Pep'N'Ann

Pep'N'Ann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

Mine are triggered by MSG, artificial sweeteners, dehydration, stress and lack of sleep. To stay completely headache free, I need at least 64oz of water per day, more is better and 8-9hrs of sleep.
I am an avid label reader, so avoiding MSG and the sweeteners is easy for me. The stress part I am still working on. I have a 9mth old, a full time job with wacky hrs and a hubby in college, so stress is a constant. I have a mild headache almost every day, but bad ones are only every couple of weeks.

Suzanne
Mommy to:
A beautiful baby girl...Hiroko Rose, born 9/13/10

RIP Pepper, we had a great ride!
Rocky - Cockatiel

MoMo - Dachshund/Papillion

Guinea and Byrd - Abyssinian guinea pigs

Kame and Diva - Sulcata Tortoises