• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JanO

JanO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

I just received 4 saddles from a family memember who's had them stuffed in her garage for the last 15 years or so. They all need oil, but other then that they're still in great shape. All four of them belonged to my dad, so I'm guessing they are at least 30 years old, maybe older. But, the fleece needs to be replaced in a bad way. I've never had to have fleece replaced before so I'm wondering what kind of cost I'm looking at. I'm figuring at least a couple hundred dollars each, if not more. Anyone ever have to have this done? What price range should I expect?
A guy asked God, "why did you create the horse?" God answered, "because I needed to appologize to the girls for making you guys"

#2 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,315 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

I had an old saddle done about 5 years ago. Cost me $80, which I thought was great. Had a lot more trouble finding someone who could do it.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#3 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

I am looking at 140 to get mine done on the circle y.. but I am thinking bout looking outside the state at more reputable people have had too much problems with the local one.

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#4 JanO

JanO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

I called one place who quoted me $165-$195 each, depending on if I go with the good stuff, or the cheaper synthetic stuff. I also have the names of 3 people who do saddle work out of their home. Called and left messages, but haven't heard back from them yet. I'd be thrilled if I can get them done for $100 each,or less. One of them also needs the strings replaced, thinking that would be another $30 or so. Another one needs repairs to the stirrups, but not much.. I'm sure that'll be extra too.
A guy asked God, "why did you create the horse?" God answered, "because I needed to appologize to the girls for making you guys"

#5 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

When I refleece a saddle, I do it with heavy a synthetic fiber fleece from Weaver Leather. They also have real wool fleece attached to a fiber backing. It's been several years since I bought anything from Weaver's, but the synthetic fleece was priced at around $15.00 a yard then. The real wool fleece attached to a fiber backing was around $30.00 a yard.

I'll be getting a new catalog from Weaver later this week when I go to their annual leather goods and leather equipment auction.
Leather is sold in a bigtop tent on the first day, and equipment is sold the second day in another bigtop tent.

I'll be purchasing several items from the warehouse as well as things I might buy in the auction. Going there is really a treat and I don't mind driving the 150-some miles to get there. Paul Weaver has given me many things free of charge. When I told him, "You don't need to do that!" he said, "I know I don't have to, but I own the company so I can!" :smileywavey:
Saddletramp

#6 jacie

jacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:45 AM

I just had this done, recently enough that we picked the saddle up last weekend. I purchased the saddle knowing the fleece needed replaced.

it cost me $250 to have it done, the lady used real fleece. She did a great job also, i'm quite pleased. I found her through the tack store when I just called up to ask if they could recommend anyone to do the repair, they said she came once a week to pick things up and she could always call me with a price quote before working on it.

#7 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:10 AM

Had a western saddle refleeced about 4 years ago. It was around $275 and Hope Saddlery, out of Conway, SC was the one who did the work. I would highly recommend them.
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#8 palomino_overo

palomino_overo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:12 AM

We had one refleeced about 5 years ago. We had it done with synthetic fleece and it cost around $80 to have it done. We use a local Amish harness and saddle repair shop. Joe does quality work, uses qulity materials, and is usually cheaper than most of his English competition (apparently their time is worth more than his).
I met a Board Buddy: SpiffyGirl, robertbel1

R.I.P. : Quite A Ladys Man AKA "Rio" June 10, '95--May 24, '10

"There are two infinite things in the universe: the universe itself and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former."---Albert Einstein

#9 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

I picked up a supply catalog at Weaver Leather, and their heavy weight synthetic fleece is priced at $13.90 a yard. That's 60 inches by 36 inches for one yard, enough for two saddles. That is the wholesale price, so one would need a vendor's license or tax number to purchase from the supply catalog.

For shearling sheepskin, the wholesale price ranges from $65.50 to $91.06, according to size.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner, 30 June 2011 - 04:54 PM.

Saddletramp