• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LegacyGirl

LegacyGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

hey guys. so i dont really ride western that much, but i do love it. I have decided to invest in a pair of cowboy boots just for the heck of it..i just got loads of money from graduation, so im hoping that i can use some of that to buy myself some boots.

what brand do you guys suggest? which brand/make is the comfiest? anything i should know before i buy cowboy boots?? thanks guys
Legacy Stable '10
Vermont Spring Classic
Hunter Pleasure Jr Ex 16 & 17-2nd
Hunter Pleasure Championship Jr Ex 16-17-4th
Hunter Pleasure Youth -1st
Hunter Pleasure Youth Championship-3rd
Granite State
Hunter Pleasure Jr. Exhibitor 16-17-4th
Hunter Pleasure Jr Exhibitor Novice Rider 16-17-3rd
Hunter Pleasure Jr. Exh. 16-17 Championship-5th
Hunter Pleaure Jr. Exh. Novice Rider, 16-17 Championship-1st

#2 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,921 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

I've always loved my Ariats because they've never needed break-in time. However, I got a pair of Tony Lama's last year because they were just like the Ariats I wanted, only cheaper. They have lasted just as well, and were also painless to break in. And less expensive!! so whoot!
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#3 equi-librium

equi-librium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

im a HUGE fan of my Lucheeses and twisted X boots, third to rod patricks.... im a boot hore..

the ariats are ok for the money, but if your gonna wear them and want to walk alot, the twisted x's squeak ahead of the lucheeses but just a smidge.. id never own a pair of justins even if someone bought me a pair..

Edited by equi-librium, 12 June 2011 - 09:12 PM.

HC BB's: magicgold, redneckcowgirlmn, spanish_walkin_wannabe, CJF Farrier, Wild Rose, Sundowner Lady, Duns Of Impact, Pepsidog, MareKrazed, The Shamrock Stalker/ROK, DunOvero, ruckandride, RailRoad Woman, Peppers Dad, Stars_Morab, Pelirrojaloca, Tazzin, MRS & imabarrelracer!

#4 saudimack

saudimack

local cowpuncher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,853 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:06 AM

Ariat is good for the money - and great customer service (well it was for me anyways - replaced a pair of boots, no questions asked!).

Currently, for riding boots, I own a pair of Ariat Heritage Womans Roughstock boots. They are OK. Almost due for a new (and probably different) pair...

For going out boots, I bought a pair of Stetson square toe boots. They are pretty nice.

Luccheses are nice, but you are also paying a pretty penny... IMO, twisted x boots are not even comparable to Luccheses.

Just go to your local feed store and try on a bunch of boots... when I was looking for a new pair, brand wasn't an issue (quality is a different story), but as long as they fit and were comfortable, then those were the ones I bought!
Mackenzie Williams Photography

Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice...

Procrastinators Unite!!!....tomorrow.

RIP Riley - My best friend.. July 27th 2002 - November 13th, 2006

#5 Cowgirl_Jess

Cowgirl_Jess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

I love my Justins! I never feel like I have to break them in, but it's different for everyone. I have an old pair of Boulets that now have a hole in one of the soles, but I refuse to throw them out because they are so comfy, plus they're the only boots I like to ride in. I've also had a pair of Tony Lamas and those were super comfy too! I don't personally like Ariats, I've never found them to be very comfortable, but I know that a lot of people love them. Whatever kind of boots you end up buying, make sure that they have a leather sole if you plan on riding in them. Rubber soled boots like the Justin Gypsys and the Ariat Fat Babies stick in the stirrups pretty bad. The first and last time that I wore rubber soled boots to ride in was at a Jr. Rodeo for Goat Tying. I went to jump off and my foot got stuck and I ended up getting drug across the arena, so they're definetely a saftey hazzard!

"I am who I truly am when I'm in the saddle."

#6 Mega_Ash

Mega_Ash

professional piaffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

I have a pair of Justin's I clean the barn with and they are amazing! I bought them because I wanted fat babies but my feet are too wide for them haha. I do ride in mine, shhh! But I never have had a problem with getting hung up in the stirrups. I ride english with half chaps over them lol. I like the bulkier look as opposed to my paddock boots. Sorry, tangent.

also, as far as I remember my Justin's came with a warranty, I don't remember if my Ariats ever have. Probably.
one man's wrong lead is another man's counter canter.

#7 Mini4

Mini4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

I have always had both and love them! My Justin's seem to hold up longer, and that's not just riding in them but also cleaning stalls. My Ariats are good too, just don't hold up as long when I clean stalls with them.

#8 Cowgirl_Jess

Cowgirl_Jess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

I have a pair of Justin's I clean the barn with and they are amazing! I bought them because I wanted fat babies but my feet are too wide for them haha. I do ride in mine, shhh! But I never have had a problem with getting hung up in the stirrups. I ride english with half chaps over them lol. I like the bulkier look as opposed to my paddock boots. Sorry, tangent.

also, as far as I remember my Justin's came with a warranty, I don't remember if my Ariats ever have. Probably.

I think a lot of people ride in rubber soled boots and get away with it, I just seem to have the worst luck in the saddle; if something can go wrong with me, it will! I've been drug, launched in the air after my horse fell (I ended up with a Concussion), somehow my butt ended up out of the saddle and onto Razz's neck during a pattern and the list goes on! So if I can try to prevent one thing from happening again, I will! Haha. :lol:

"I am who I truly am when I'm in the saddle."

#9 saudimack

saudimack

local cowpuncher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,853 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

Its fine to ride in rubber soled boots, you just dont want the chunky tread that Fat Babys come with etc
Mackenzie Williams Photography

Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice...

Procrastinators Unite!!!....tomorrow.

RIP Riley - My best friend.. July 27th 2002 - November 13th, 2006

#10 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

I've never liked a pair of Justins, I've always gone with my Ariats. I have four pairs of Ariats that I've owned for quite a few years and I can still wear all of them. I've always wanted a pair of Anderson Beans or Twisted X but I'm not willing to pay for them because I'm cheap. haha Go with whatever fits your foot and have the style you like.
------------------------- (}--{) -------------------------

Say I won't. Say I can't do it. Say I shouldn't even try. Tell me it's impossible. Tell me the risk is too high, the challenge too much, or the feat too tough. Tell me I won't do it. And I will.

It's guts & love & glory, one mortal's chance at fame; his legacy is rodeo & cowboy is his name.

#11 Blondie*

Blondie*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

My Ariats usually last me two years when wearing them almost every day. That's pretty dang good for how hard I am on shoes, expecially work boots. I'm partial to the lace up all purpose boots when I'm not showing. Feels like I'm wearing my nikes in the barn!

http://trainingahuman.blogspot.com/

#12 PaintedWishes

PaintedWishes

expert pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:42 AM

I love Ariats! I have a pair of the Artiat womens heritage laceups that have lasted 3 years and are still in good shape. They are very comfy and dont take any break in time.

#13 Indianshuffler

Indianshuffler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:19 AM

Have had my mens Tony Lama,s resoled three times, but this time I'll have to buy new ones. The mens are built better, and their wider. Very comfy boots, in or out of the saddle.
People who will tell you the brutal truth when needed are keepers

#14 PrairieHeart

PrairieHeart

Sheltie Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

I have a couple pairs of Ariats and I've been really happy with them. I have a pair of ProBaby's and the Heritage Buckeroo boots and I love them. I cant really comment on durability because I've worn mine to church and things and not as work boots.

Every storm runs, runs outta rain

Just like every dark night, turns into day

Every heartache will fade away

just like every storm runs, runs outta rain

its gonna set you free

#15 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

I have a wide foot and I love my Ariats!
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#16 RebelGirl23

RebelGirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:55 PM

I've had Justins and Ariats they are both really comfortable depending on what style you get; my pull-ons almost never need breaking in but my lace-up Ariats are another story. However, those same boots I literally wear every day. Ok, story on the Justins, when I bought them I didn't realize it was a leather sole, I wore them just about every day and that included to school, which was me walking miles on cement sidewalk, so yeah they lasted 6mo. BUT that ought to tell you how comfortable they were. When I bought my current RIDING boots (Ariat pull-on), I made sure it was a rubber sole and they've lasted me four years and still comfortable (not waterproof, however :) )but walking in them for long distances make my feet sore. What I wear for going to work and school and around the barn (NOT riding) are lace-up Ariats that are probably more comfy to me than sneakers. They have a rubber sole AND HEEL, which makes a he11uva difference. I've replaced the laces twice now and they need oiling bad but still waterproof (and I know bc I walked through a boot-sucking mud bog in them today) and comfy.

Never owned Tony Lamas but on my wish list and I keep looking at the Georgia Boot Muddogs (NEVER for riding in however-the sole is like 2" thick) but when I go for another pair of riding boots it'll probably be Ariats. The place I shop at just has more options in Ariat than Justin and they're usually cheaper too. Happy Shopping!!

Who's face is on your dart board?

Keep it Southern!

Proud Mom of:
Playboy's Prince of Thieves (Prince) Black TWH gelding
Sundance (Sunny) Sorrel Arabian cross mare
Graceful Bird (Gracie) Sorrel Paint Saddlebred cross mare

Tequila Sunrise (Tequila) Bay Quarter Horse mare

Tessa-- Pit x Catahoula 

Remington-- Shepherd x Husky 

Proudly engaged to my soulmate!!

#17 barrelgal98

barrelgal98

Barrel Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Ariats for sure. I've had mine for a year now and they look jut like when I bought them. They were also comfortable right from the day I got them. I love those boots

#18 Grace_C

Grace_C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

I love my Ariats!
Grace

#19 Sendero

Sendero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

It is hard to find boots made in America any more, but I wish I could. Ariats have held up great and are comfortable, but remember: I am a terrible dancer, so I don't try anymore. For safety reasons. I was dangerous to everyone else!

The comfort and traction of the synthetic souls are desirable, but wont slide on the dance floor. A boot repair technician told me last week that she expects the foreign boots to drop in quality as time goes by. Chinese firms work hard on quality control to get the contract .... then .... kaboom. Ariats and Justins are now made overseas, as well as many more.

Go with what is comfortable and looks the way you want it to.

Take it from an ole man.

Edited by Sendero, 21 February 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#20 okate

okate

the Eyes have it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

I'd just like to say,I love my double H lace-ups. Love them so much I have 3 pairs. Wouldn't dance in em though. I'm not a good dancer. Walking or riding they're great!

WARNING! Half this post is JMO, some fraction of it is BS, the rest is my contribution to the subject,GOI.

#21 MiSSxZURi

MiSSxZURi

~*Heather*~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

I always went with Ariat!

cd5d7f25-d1a7-43f7-b84d-876475136647_zps