Quantcast

Photo

Why Does My Horse Keep Getting Dandruff?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

My mare first got dandruff last winter, it was too cold to bathe her, so I used listerine for a few days and it cleared up.

She got dandruff again, a few months later, this time it was warmer, so I bathed her with dandruff shampoo and followed with a spray of listerine...I did the listerine a couple more times after that and it cleared up and, stayed gone for a long time.

She has dandruff AGAIN!! It's mostly on her neck and shoulders.....dandruff is basically just dry skin, that's flaking off, isn't it?

I'm going to bathe her again with the dandruff shampoo and follow it with listerine.

Can recurring dandruff be the sign of something more serious, like something lacking in her diet?
Posted Image

#2 Quartermutt

Quartermutt

Cat Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

Yes.
RIP Bailey, 1984ish - 22Nov10 RIP Zoe, Sweet Pup-pup ?- 22Mar10
I've met board buddies: Mondaesmom, Jacksdad, Tazzin, HeGotSpots, SkyFireDelight, Andi and norcalracer88's horse!
Tazz 'n' PSaint in '12!
Yes, cats can enjoy going places!......There is no kitten but KITTEN.
Posted Image

#3 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

Yes.

Care to elaborate?
Posted Image

#4 Quartermutt

Quartermutt

Cat Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

If it keeps coming back, there is an underlying cause. What that cause is, I don't know; could be diet related, could be medical, could be parasites (the neck thread worms come to mind), could be fungal, could be bacterial. What have you done besides wouthwash, and a bath? Skin scrapings? forage analysis? Added omegas? Supplements to improve skin health?

I am not a vet and even if I was, I couldn't diagnose off of a thread about recurrent dandruff. You asked if the dandruff could be a sign of another issue ( maybe diet related, maybe not), I answered that question; yes it can .
RIP Bailey, 1984ish - 22Nov10 RIP Zoe, Sweet Pup-pup ?- 22Mar10
I've met board buddies: Mondaesmom, Jacksdad, Tazzin, HeGotSpots, SkyFireDelight, Andi and norcalracer88's horse!
Tazz 'n' PSaint in '12!
Yes, cats can enjoy going places!......There is no kitten but KITTEN.
Posted Image

#5 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

If it keeps coming back, there is an underlying cause. What that cause is, I don't know; could be diet related, could be medical, could be parasites (the neck thread worms come to mind), could be fungal, could be bacterial. What have you done besides wouthwash, and a bath? Skin scrapings? forage analysis? Added omegas? Supplements to improve skin health?

I am not a vet and even if I was, I couldn't diagnose off of a thread about recurrent dandruff. You asked if the dandruff could be a sign of another issue ( maybe diet related, maybe not), I answered that question; yes it can .

Gee, someone's a little touchy today, if you didn't intent to help, maybe you should have just kept your comment to yourself. Sorry to have bothered you, but it's not like I'm the first person to ask a HORSE HEALTH board for opinions and advice, you don't have to be a vet to give those.

Thanks for what you DID say, though, I'll look into it further.
Posted Image

#6 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hi! What kind of diet is your horse on? Living conditions? Worming/fecal schedule? I would start with adding omega 3's...flax seed, Cocosoya, something along those lines and maybe get a fecal. I was going to ask about humidity, but then saw where you live! Ha! Maybe her coat is dry from your climate?
If you say nothing to a horse, you mean nothing to a horse.-Robert Dover
Proud owner of:
"This Charming Man"-Winston: 20 year old, bay, Appendix QH, Semi-retired, but still working and being rotten:-) The boss man!
"Bend it Like Beckham"-Beckham: 7 year old, black, Perch/TB. Showing Second Level and schooling Third.
"Grand Temptress Shelby-Shelby: 15 year old, bay, Oldenburg. Second and Third Level.

"You will never get to Grand Prix waving a carrot stick at a Warmblood."

#7 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

You asked a question that could be answered simply by saying yes or no. You got a yes for an answer. You asked her to elaborate which she did. She gave her opinion, and said she's not a vet, nor does she play one on tv. I didn't see her reply as being touchy like you did. Rather I found your reply back, to be rather rude.

And since I don't have any actual experience with this sort of thing, I can't offer you any advice. Sorry.
Sappy's son Hunter is my wooden spoon minion. Hunter ROCKS!!
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#8 equi-librium

equi-librium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

Gee, someone's a little touchy today, if you didn't intent to help, maybe you should have just kept your comment to yourself. Sorry to have bothered you, but it's not like I'm the first person to ask a HORSE HEALTH board for opinions and advice, you don't have to be a vet to give those.

Thanks for what you DID say, though, I'll look into it further.

i didnt think she was touchy at all, she answered the question... if anything it sounds like you got your undies in a twist over it..

a simple search of past topics would also bring up a few threads with a bunch of info on the same things.
HC BB's: magicgold, redneckcowgirlmn, spanish_walkin_wannabe, CJF Farrier, Wild Rose, Sundowner Lady, Duns Of Impact, Pepsidog, MareKrazed, The Shamrock Stalker/ROK, DunOvero, ruckandride, RailRoad Woman, Peppers Dad, Stars_Morab, Pelirrojaloca, Tazzin, MRS & imabarrelracer!

#9 Willy ShoMaker

Willy ShoMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

Did you try feeding about 1/4 cup of corn oil in the grain? I know the conditions of your environment are verrrrry dry and dusty since my son lives in AZ. Also, don't use any conditioner that has silicone in it. My former horse used to get dandruff from using that kind of spray. I now use a conditioner that moisturizes. :unsure:

#10 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

No twisted undies here, if she did have some info to give, which she obviously did, since she gave it in her second post, she should have just said so in the first.
Posted Image

#11 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

Did you try feeding about 1/4 cup of corn oil in the grain? I know the conditions of your environment are verrrrry dry and dusty since my son lives in AZ. Also, don't use any conditioner that has silicone in it. My former horse used to get dandruff from using that kind of spray. I now use a conditioner that moisturizes. :unsure:

I have tried a skin and coat supplement, but she wouldn't eat it, even when put in the feed. I use Pyranha fly spray, not sure if it has anything that can be drying ....right now I'm using Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner, I havn't looked at the ingredients...will go do that now!

Edited by equicrzy, 16 June 2011 - 02:56 PM.

Posted Image

#12 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hi! What kind of diet is your horse on? Living conditions? Worming/fecal schedule? I would start with adding omega 3's...flax seed, Cocosoya, something along those lines and maybe get a fecal. I was going to ask about humidity, but then saw where you live! Ha! Maybe her coat is dry from your climate?

Her diet is only grass hay, she is a very easy keeper and anything more than that and she balloons up. The only feed she gets, is just enough to mix in her supplement, I have tried skin and coat supplements, but she doesn't like the taste, at least not the ones I've tried and she won't eat them even when mixed into the feed.

If it continues i will look into other things. She is dewormed regularly, 4 times a year, she has never had a fecal, because there has never been any reason for me to think she needed one, she's always been healthy and never had any diarrhea.

I've thought about adding flax seed, I am also looking into vitamin supplements, researching several different ones right now and am leaning towards Grand Vite.

Yes, our climate is very dry and humid, especially this time of year, what with the monsoons and all.
Posted Image

#13 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

You asked a question that could be answered simply by saying yes or no. You got a yes for an answer. You asked her to elaborate which she did. She gave her opinion, and said she's not a vet, nor does she play one on tv. I didn't see her reply as being touchy like you did. Rather I found your reply back, to be rather rude.

And since I don't have any actual experience with this sort of thing, I can't offer you any advice. Sorry.

I wasn't asking a question that only a vet could/should answer, plenty of people have given their advice and opinions on health related topics and they weren't all vets.

If my reply seemed rude, it is because I was responding to a reply that *I* found to be not only rude, but condescending, with just a touch of snark thrown in.

That's the way I read it....sorry.
Posted Image

#14 equi-librium

equi-librium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

i dont see anything rude or condescending in the second post at all.. :confused0024:
HC BB's: magicgold, redneckcowgirlmn, spanish_walkin_wannabe, CJF Farrier, Wild Rose, Sundowner Lady, Duns Of Impact, Pepsidog, MareKrazed, The Shamrock Stalker/ROK, DunOvero, ruckandride, RailRoad Woman, Peppers Dad, Stars_Morab, Pelirrojaloca, Tazzin, MRS & imabarrelracer!

#15 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

i dont see anything rude or condescending in the second post at all.. :confused0024:

Maybe it's just me, then.
Posted Image

#16 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Have you given her a good, thorough, all over bath with Betadine? We did that for my mare Amber and it's done wonders for her skin and coat and itchies!

Andi

Check out my photography!
LC Ranch Photography

Or follow me on Facebook!

Facebook Page

~~~~~~~~~~
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."
~Thomas Jefferson

Butterfly farts stink!

I've met board buddies! The Bun, rwdodgerblue, mydakota, quarters 'n' paints, desperate horsewife, audrey mae, mrs, rodentra, Quartermutt, HeGotSpots, MondaesMom, Quarterflash, Quincy's Keeper, Tazzin, Buck, Buddyroo, Diamond Jake, Miz Parker, BarnBoss, Apps4Life, redneckcowgirlmn, megs

siggysmall2_zps8cc35042.jpg

#17 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

I havn't tried Betadine...I think I still have some, I'll give it a try!
Posted Image

#18 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

We put about a cup or so in a bucket of warm water and really scrubbed her good, taking special care on the mane and tail area. It worked wonders!

Andi

Check out my photography!
LC Ranch Photography

Or follow me on Facebook!

Facebook Page

~~~~~~~~~~
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."
~Thomas Jefferson

Butterfly farts stink!

I've met board buddies! The Bun, rwdodgerblue, mydakota, quarters 'n' paints, desperate horsewife, audrey mae, mrs, rodentra, Quartermutt, HeGotSpots, MondaesMom, Quarterflash, Quincy's Keeper, Tazzin, Buck, Buddyroo, Diamond Jake, Miz Parker, BarnBoss, Apps4Life, redneckcowgirlmn, megs

siggysmall2_zps8cc35042.jpg

#19 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

I would suggest Omega Horseshine. It is rice bran/flax. REALLY helps with skin/coat issues. My new mare has some very sensitive skin I've found out. Omega Horseshine helps to control this. Also I see your in AZ. I would probably think it has something to do with all the dry we've been having lately. I would look into a moisturizer also. Took about a week for my guys to get used to the horseshine after that they started licking it up.

With our dang sun I'm having to look into some moisturizer also for miss Diva and her skin. I ran out of the horseshine for about two weeks and her skin is now angry with me. Getting it back in check though.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."

#20 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

Right now, I've got Nu Image Dark horse.....she just smells it in the feed and turns her nose up. I have heard good things about the Omega Horseshine, maybe it will be my next purchase.

I went and looked for the Betadine, guess I used it all.
Posted Image

#21 1wildkatt

1wildkatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

Have you tried the regular Nu-Image? It is different than the dark horse. I also use Omega Horseshine and the horses like it.

Good luck.
Kat

#22 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

I've never used the regular Nu Image. I've tried the Grand complete, but didn't really see any difference. The Omega Horseshine sounds like something I should try.

Thanks!
Posted Image

#23 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

I am recommending the Omega Horseshine often now myself. I like that stuff and can see a difference. Like the fat I couldn't get on my 3 year old, got it on him. Shined him up real nice. Cleared up a nasty dried out coat and got rid of skin issues on my sensitive broodmare. Not to mention she shines like a newly minted copper penny.

Easy to get at TSC, not a bad price, lasts a while.

Don't be afraid to feed a hint and build it up to the recommendation for better eating.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."

#24 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

Ditto to DiluteMe or you can also just use fresh ground flax. It works well.

Also, if she is never out on fresh green grass, you probably need to supplement her Vit A. the older the hay gets, the less it has and they become deficiant. Vit A is necessary for healthy skin.

Mine are all on hay only diets also and I add 3 CCs of the injectable Vit A to their feed about once a month or so to make sure they get enough. I have no skin issues anymore ever. No dandruff or rain rot ever and mine live outside 24 7 365

Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#25 Zeusyboy

Zeusyboy

Life Is Better At A Gallop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:23 AM

Listerine likely isn't helping much either. While it may help initially, it is alcohol based, and will work as a drying agent. Likely making the problem worse. Excessive bathing can also remove the natural oils on her skin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listerine

I also have to agree with Trinity. Coat supplements are great if the horse is getting everything else it needs. Go back to the basics, and start over. I'd add some vitA, and ease up on the baths. Regular brushing with a curry to stimulte the skin.

Just my theory.
ASHLEY
Theres no such thing as PEOPLE with HORSE issues, Just HORSES with PEOPLE issues. - Buck Brannaman
Even though you've been Bucked, Kicked Bit and Stomped... Never Give Up....
Silly Boys..Trucks Are For Girls
I Haven't Got A Pot To Pee In, Or Even A Window To Throw It Out Of..
I FINALLY Met A Board Buddy - Mudder, Taglet, Barnboss

#26 azgrulla

azgrulla

Scuba diving diva!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

Hay over in my part of AZ....my feed store gets it from Tucson...is lacking in Vitamin E and Selenium.

Have you had your hay tested?
Lazy A Ranch and Spa

Featuring....

Tonka: Grulla dun QH gelding
Mr Potatoe Head: QH gelding
R.I.P. Ranger: English Springer Spaniel July 4th,1995-January 27th,2008
Bogey: Tri-colored Beagle spazzoid dog
Mulligan: Lab/Rottie sweetheart dog
Bailey: Lemon Beagle...such a luver
Church: Grey, evil cat
R.I.P.Junior: Grey, pain in the butt cat July,1997-March 10th,2008
R.I.P Back-up. Aussie-mix 1995-Feb 18, 2007
R.I.P. Snoop cat
R.I.P. Paramount's Reknown, Bay Morgan gelding

GO SUN DEVILS!!!!
GO BOILERMAKERS!!!!

#27 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Thanks guys....have never had my hay tested, if I can find out where to have it done, I'll do it...for now, maybe just adding a vitamin supplement along with the Omega Horseshine will do it.

On a side note...I apologize for being rude...I have sent quartermutt a PM and wanted to also say, sorry, to everyone else.

Edited by equicrzy, 17 June 2011 - 08:36 AM.

Posted Image

#28 Emylou11

Emylou11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

Injectable Vit A given orally has helped my horses with coat problems. I think it was Cheri that recommended it. It has made a world of difference.

#29 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

Injectable Vit A given orally has helped my horses with coat problems. I think it was Cheri that recommended it. It has made a world of difference.

Can I get injectable Vit A from a feed store?
Posted Image

#30 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

Yep. TSC carries it. Its injectable Vit A and D. Just give it orally over some feed. Mine eat if right up no problem. I started all mine with 5 CC just to catch them up and then do the 2 or 3 cc about once a month. Cheri is the one who recommended it to start with and it is working great. You can also put them on a supplement high in Vit A, but the injectable given orally seems to work great and is very inexpensive. 15 bucks a bottle and it has a bunch in it.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people