• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tlc0106

tlc0106

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:20 PM

Okay! So, I need some advice... I am looking at a horse for my two young boys to learn how to ride on. The one I am looking at is 19 or 20 years old. He is a calm, easy going horse with a great disposition. He handles with ease so that my son had no issue riding him when we tried him out. He is, in essence, the perfect horse for my boys. The problem is that he has a lung issue. When he is worked for three or four hours blood vessels in his lungs pop and he bleeds out of his nose. This only happens with he is worked for an extended amount of time, which won't be the case with my boys anyway. The owners are asking $1000 for him. Is this a good price? I would have no issue with this except for the lung problem. He really is, the perfect horse, health issue withstanding. PLEASE tell me what you think....

#2 reinnin4fun

reinnin4fun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

My opinion is that a $1000 is a lot of money for an older horse with problems. I would have a vet look at him, if you are spending $1000 on a horse a vet exam would be a good idea.

I know some thoroughbreds do have bleeding issues with the stress of racing.

That said, offer the seller less, never hurts to negotiate. And be prepared to walk if the horse isn't right, as the older the horse gets the harder it will be to rehome (sell) so you may have him a long time.

Good Luck!

#3 Crystal_lisa24

Crystal_lisa24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

I agree, however finding the perfect horse for your boys to some people is priceless, and hard to do, no telling how much longer you'll be looking for that perfect horse. Have him checked for sure, my mare occasionally bleeds and there is medication for that. I personally have personally gave my mare lasiks (sp?). Is it a possibility that as the boys get older they could be pushing the horse to the point of bleeding or will they have a 'step up horse'. I would go for it if you really think this is the right horse, if your willing to supplement the horse.
"Dream passionate dreams, face your fears, ask for help and step into the fire"

1997-NBHA 1D Heartland Regional Champ

1998-NBHA 1D Oklahoma State Champ
1998-NBHA World 1D Second Runner Up
1999-D&G 1D 2nd High Money Earner
2001-Tulsa Super Show High Money Earner
2002-NBHA 1D State Champ

#4 HUSGal

HUSGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:39 AM

My opinion is to have a quick vet check done on him. Then you can get an idea of how bad the lung issue really is. Also, if there are any health problems, you can know ahead of time and same some heartache of your kids falling in love with a horse that might have some issues that cannot be fixed.
Horses For Sale - Equispot Free Horse Classifieds