3 replies to this topic

#1 Brieanna

Brieanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Hi Everyone,

My show filly (2 1/2 yr old APHA) is going to have a winter of light workouts and no showing due to my time constraints and her needing some chiropractic and vet work done. I have always fed her the highest quality feed available in my area (LMF Gold) but now that she is going to be drastically reduced in her workload I am looking for a different grain for her. Basically she will be in her stall that has a big attached outdoor run, be turned out to a field a few times a week and very lightly worked on the lunge line 3ish times a week.

She already has access to salt and currently eats about 4 pounds of high quality grass hay and 2 pounds of alfalfa in the morning; then at night she gets about 8 pounds of high quality grass hay.

I am thinking that the Purina Strategy Healthy Edge feed would be a good option for her. I like that the first few ingredients listed are alfalfa, soybean hulls, beet pulp, oats hulls, soybean oil and rice bran. That being said it does have some mollasses and ground corn in it which I'm not crazy about-however she isnt a "hot" mare by nature and I dont feel that the amounts of the mollasses are very high in the grain seeing that it's not sticky or smell sweet-it is a pelleted feed. One thing that I really like about it is that you only have to feed 3.5 pounds a day for a maintenance level.

Anyone have anything to say about this grain good or bad? I havent boughten it yet and am open to other ideas.

#2 Alaskandraft

Alaskandraft

Let it snow!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

I absolutly love the stuff! :notworthy: :notworthy: My 30 plus year old mare gets it and seems to be the only thing that keeps good weight on her in the winter..Up here we need them on the plump side going into winter..And I love the fact that you need so little with just also feeding regular hay.. My mare is an Arab and it doesn't make her hot at all.. trust me I went through lots of feed before I found this. I also feed the Amplify to my other horses as a supplement to their diet...

AD

b575c2b0-fc46-4324-b0e9-28cf032b9558_zps

Home of :

The horses/Deborah K Farcuer, Bonita Angelica, JJ Tuff Butt, Snows Miss Nooks, Pleasantly Pefect, Zephyr and Airee

The Dogs/ Indigo, CoCo, Max and Minnie   The Cats/ Tynee Kitty, Mockie, Powder & Spook  The Pigs/ KC and LAY C Masterpiece

#3 Brieanna

Brieanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for the input AD! :)

#4 horseymom945

horseymom945

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

It is an ideal product for what you are looking for, low in calories and low in starch.