• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WhereIsMySock

WhereIsMySock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

I am looking for an eventing horse and I have found a great QH gelding who will for sure do great at the jumping stuff, and would like to hear what you guys think about his dressage potential. I have some pics and some video clips of me riding him for the first time. His training has been mostly hunter/jumper with minimal focus on flat work. I am aware that he has a thicker neck but he is incredibly soft in the mouth, it's great! I feel that if asked him to ride in a more forward frame he could do it and in some of the clips you can tell that he gives nicely. Owner was watching and said I had him going nicely for a while but hubby did not video too much of my ride. I wasn't actively trying to put him in a frame or ask for much collection, I was just getting the feel for him at first. I am looking at him for a lower level eventing horse, and so lower level dressage, because I am new to eventing.

Here he is...(None of these pics are ideal confo pics but you get the idea of what he looks like)
Couple years ago when he was in shape:
Posted Image
Posted Image

These were taken last weekend...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Video...he is out of shape right now. Owner doesn't have time for him hence him being for sale.

-Chrissy-

Pine Mount Mary aka "Dakota" - APHA '97 Tobiano Paint mare
Where Is My Sock aka "Charlie" -15 y/o QH/TWH gelding

"Without all the bad things the good things wouldn't be so great!"

#2 Kiss The Sky

Kiss The Sky

Twisted diamond heart- I'm the weekend warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

Super cute ! I really like him and a think he's very suitable for eventing and dressage. And I'm a sucker for chestnuts with white. His gaits look decent, will improve with a connection and a slower swing. Canter might have lateral tendencies like a lot of qh, but walk has a good over stride.

I keep you in a flower vase
With your fatalism and your crooked face
With the daisies and the violet brocades
And I keep me in a vacant lot
In the ivy and forget-me-nots
Hoping you will come and untangle me one of these days

#3 shiloh04

shiloh04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

He's adorable. Reminds me a lot of my mare, who was solid at third before she had a ton of time off due to not sweating. At 21, it's not worth it to get her back in shape.

But anyway, I think he's got a lot of potential. He's not going to beat the fancy WBs since the tests are written for them, but he has 3 correct gaits, and if you put the time into him he could give you a nice accurate test.

I totally disagree on the lateral canter. He has NO lateral tendency whatsoever. Many people think that a canter that's flat is lateral, but there is a huge difference. He doesn't have a ton of jump to his canter, but it is a correct 3-beat canter.

My advice to make the whole journey easier for you would be to try him with a decently thick shoe in front, barefoot behind. It'll make him a but more uphill. By decently thick, I mean Eponas or something similar with a lot of sole coverage. They will float on the footing a bit, giving the horse an extra 1/2"+ in front. It makes it easier for some of these horses to move uphill instead of moving level. It might not make a big difference until 1st or 2nd level, but at that point the difference can be night and day. If you order the shoes yourself, most farriers will put them on for the same price as steel shoes, and I've gotten 2 years out of a pair used on forgiving footing. They just don't wear past getting the breakover in the right spot on the first shoeing.

#4 WhereIsMySock

WhereIsMySock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

Thank you Sky and Shiloh. This makes me feel even better about him. He is very cute and I like him a lot but I want to make sure I will be able to be successful with him for my first eventing experiences. I know we won't beat the fancy WBs but I also know I'm not in a financial position to own one of those right now haha. Interesting about the shoes, I'm glad I will have a trainer to help me with those kinds of things when we get there. I haven't been able to ride him again because of rain but I am going to see him again after Christmas and will hopefully be able to make a decision. :smile:

-Chrissy-

Pine Mount Mary aka "Dakota" - APHA '97 Tobiano Paint mare
Where Is My Sock aka "Charlie" -15 y/o QH/TWH gelding

"Without all the bad things the good things wouldn't be so great!"

#5 pegasus431

pegasus431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

He's really cute and cleans up well! I also like his walk a lot. He's obviously lacking strength and balance right now, but time and training can help him swing and reach more in the trot and jump more in the canter. I think he looks like a solid lower level eventer for sure. At events, especially local, Training Level and below, you are going to see more TB's, QH's and ponies than anything else, rather than warmbloods like at dressage only shows. And you don't see eventing's equivalent to USDF First Level until Training Level events, which is 3' or 3'3" jumping.
I haven't met any Board Buddies!

I don't mind where people make love, so long as they don't do it in the street and frighten the horses.
--Mrs. Patrick Campbell

~*~Atrianna~*~

#6 PMJ

PMJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

No, obviously he isn't going to have the same gait score as a good moving warmblood, but I am going to he is going to move much better when he is fit. It is very interesting to sit through an L program and learn about how tests are judged. Horses like this actually get a much fairer shake than you would imagine. It is not all about having a warmblood, which is one of the reasons the gait score is now only a x 1 score. Too, riding the test accurately is 110% important. People loose tons of points that way.