2 replies to this topic

#1 draftriderdave

draftriderdave

Have Mule Will Travel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

There is a need in my area for leather repair. Going to start a small repair shop and need everyones input. What is the best leather sewing machine and why ???? I will be using it to repair harness's, saddle's, and other tack.

Thanks, David
"The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination"
Tommy Lasorda

#2 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

There is a need in my area for leather repair. Going to start a small repair shop and need everyones input. What is the best leather sewing machine and why ???? I will be using it to repair harness's, saddle's, and other tack.

Thanks, David

I have no idea about leather sewing machines, as I've never used one. You might contact Weaver Leather in Mount Hope, Ohio. They sell sewing machines and can tell you everything you need to know. You'll love reading their supply catalog! They have everything.
Call 1-800-WEAVER1 (1-800-932-8371) or go to www.weaverleather.com

I also subscribe to Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal, a magazine that publishes six times a year. They have ads from many different sewing machine companies. They also have many testimonials about sewing machines by noted saddle makers and leather workers. Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal,222 Blackburn St., Rhinelander, WI 54501-3777. Phone: 715-362-5093.

If you are anywhere near a Tandy Leather Factory store, they usually have copies of the LC&S Journal for sale. it's kind of pricey, but worth it.

Hope this helps. :smileywavey:
Saddletramp

#3 Alaskandraft

Alaskandraft

Let it snow!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,861 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:20 AM

They are a pretty good machine.. I was in the Upholstery business for over 30 years and I really liked this one. I've also had a Chandler/ by Adler the whole time I have been in the business..Its from 1967 and still works great! I can't tell yoiu how many miles of material or thread has been through it!
http://www.sewingmachinery.com/adler/
They are super durable and hardley ever have to have repairs done.

Consews are also good. They run smooth. Low repair rate.

I have a friend that has one of these if you want to go BIG.

AD

b575c2b0-fc46-4324-b0e9-28cf032b9558_zps

Home of :

The horses/ Bonita Angelica, JJ Tuff Butt, Snows Miss Nooks, Pleasantly Pefect, Zephyr and Airee

The Dogs/ Indigo, CoCo, Max and Minnie   The Cats/ Tynee Kitty, Mockie, Tigger