17 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

So I have a choice to make. My MIL said that we could get my son a puppy to grow up with for his first birthday. I am considering an Aussie or a Sheltie. The family currently has 2 Shelties so I know they are a very active breed and need something to do. From what I hear Aussies are the same way. There is a breeder of Aussies a few hours north of me,and a good breeder of Shelties a few hours south of me. So either way I am going to travel for a dog if I get one.

Opinions on either?

Yes,I know the amount of work it will be if we get a puppy. They did the same thing for my nephew when he turned 1,he has a Sheltie named Keeper who has turned out to be a pretty good dog.
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Little Twister-4yr John Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt
RIP 2/5/12 Riley-22yr Appaloosa Gelding~always in my heart. Love ya old man. </3

You can't beat a dead horse,but you can drag it around the square!

You know you're a horse person when...
your boyfriend complains that you love your horse more than you love him and you say: "And your point is..?"
...no one wants to ride in your car because they'll get sweet feed and hay in their socks and on their clothes...but that's ok because you'll have to rearrange all the tack to make room for them anyway!

#2 neonmoon

neonmoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

I vote for an Aussie. Lots of energy, yes. Had mine for 13 years, best dog I ever had, loyal, loving, highly intelligent. He got along with everyone, 2 legged and 4 legged. Good luck in your search. That's Hawk in the pic below. Along with Molly (Boxer) and Teddy (Golden)
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Author unknown

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

I vote aussie too. They are active and smart, but mine have good off button, so they make good snuggling/house dogs too.

Sidda - you just can't beat this face.

Posted Image
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#4 sappy

sappy

Happy as a clam..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

I'd vote for a sheltie. I grew up with several, and I absolutely adore the breed. It is, however, hard to find a good breeder. I've seen so many poor quality shelties lately.. Anyway, they're a wonderful breed. Very intelligent, very happy go lucky.. but don't be mistaken.. they can be lazy house dogs too. We had some that needed exercise, and some that were just lazy couch potatoes. My personal sheltie was a tri-color female.. brilliant in the obedience ring. She LIVED for work, but she was lazy as the day is long otherwise.
- Megan - geeking it up with my hubby, T. Proud mama to H,E & S.

#5 GraceL_QH

GraceL_QH

The Goat Farmers Wife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

I vote Aussie too. I would think it would be a better match for an active young boy as they are bigger then a Sheltie and they do not tend to be as snappy (Just something I have noticed but could completely be a training issue with the ones I have met). But I am very bias as we have and raise Aussies and I have nothing but good things to say about the well bred working types. When kids are over on our farm our dogs always go with them and watch over them. Very intelligent, loving and a want to please nature about them. Do make sure you look in to the breed and the possible genetic issues that can arise from poor breeding. You do not want to buy a pup from anyone that breeds merle to merle. If you live somewhere with space and/or are very active an aussie is my vote. I do not feel that most make good in town pets unless they have lots of activity to occupy them. They are after all a working breed with lots of drive.
Fell free to PM me if you have any questions.

Grace
Posted Image

#6 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

I have to vote Aussie too. That is what I will be getting shortly. They are loyal, active, intelligent, loving, easy to train and just so freaking beautiful. They get a long well with livestock and kids as well. You do want to find a good breeder to avoid genetic issues.

I like Shelties, but just think Aussies are wonderful dogs.

Pics are required as well when then new addition comes home!!!

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#7 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

I would also vote for the Aussie as long as it is from a reputable breeder. Our Aussie was a great dog, but he had weak nerves and fear aggressive issues. I would love to get another someday, but it will be from a much better breeder.

#8 c.s.a.

c.s.a.

The Cheese Stands Alone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

I say Sheltie. However I may be kind of biased since I have one snuggling in my lap right now.

#9 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

I had a sheltie when I was growing up and I now own an Aussie. I 100% throw my vote to Aussie's. Mine is the best dog I have ever had. She is extremely loyal (yes, she would die for me) and smart. Learned everything FAST! She is hyper but has a good off button. Most of the day she just sleeps. She is a real cuddle bug. We are thinking of adding another to our family when we move so Yoko has company.

(side note: Yoko usually has a nice fluffy coat like KatyB's Sidda, but we have her clipped)
Posted Image

Owned by:

Tilly Monster- 10 yr old North American Spotted Draft
Kisser Lou- 9 yr old MFT cross

Banjo- 7 yr old Spotted Draft
Yoko Oh No!- 3 yr old Australian Shepherd
Ming Ling- 1 yr old Boston Terrier cross

Jefe and Pepe- Black headed caiques 

#10 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,651 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yeesh -- a baby and a puppy? No way I'd take that on. But I'm lazy and will never have kids or puppies. :crazy:

#11 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

I think I am going with the Aussie. We still have 2 Shelties so I wont miss out on the Sheltie Experience! Will post pictures whenever I get the Aussie! =)

And oh yeah,its going to be a busy household. But I would rather have it busy than boring! 2 kids under 2 in the house(only 1 is mine!),2 soon to be 3 dogs,2 horses,part time job,AND going to school.
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Little Twister-4yr John Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt
RIP 2/5/12 Riley-22yr Appaloosa Gelding~always in my heart. Love ya old man. </3

You can't beat a dead horse,but you can drag it around the square!

You know you're a horse person when...
your boyfriend complains that you love your horse more than you love him and you say: "And your point is..?"
...no one wants to ride in your car because they'll get sweet feed and hay in their socks and on their clothes...but that's ok because you'll have to rearrange all the tack to make room for them anyway!

#12 Zanit

Zanit

Been there done that

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

You gotta consider the border collie/aussie mix! Who doesn't love a fun loving dog like our Newt?

Posted Image

In loving memory of Jaime Lynn Krausse-Campbell-she loved horses and her country. Lived for horses, died for all of us. God Bless the solider

Mommy to Taylor JoAnn- March 30, 2008 and Trista Lynn July 6, 2013!

#13 Kerosene

Kerosene

Little Miss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,645 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

Aussie all the way. I would kill to have one, but we have a 15 pound marshmellow instead...
A cowgirl gets up in the morning, decides what she wants to do, and does it.

#14 Alaskandraft

Alaskandraft

Let it snow!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

Both can be pretty intense dogs.. With Aussies, being a now AKC bred, You have to go with a line of LAZY ones to really get a good one to raise a baby with.. Remember herd dogs require a job..you raise your dog with a baby with an intense herding instinct and I guarantee you will have issues.....The crying will drive them insane and they will try and make it stop...My Mya (Aussie) was super intense. She was teaching herself to herd at a very young age and very balsy... she had to have a job or she would go look for one ..She would try nipping my neices and nephew when they were loud and running around...They just weren't "organized" in her pee brain..

I had to train her to quit nipping my using chickens..that way if she messed up it could go in the freezer.
Posted Image..
Border collies do not nip as a general rule.nor the Shelti as they are sheep dogs....matter of fact they are the number one breeds used for sheep.. when a nipping dog gets to nipping sheep, the hide tears. Reason for Aussies to be used more for cattle then sheep..Training for an Aussie and a Sheltie to have a soft mouth goes against instinct..

I mean would you want your dog to be looking at your baby like this??

Posted Image
or this
Posted Image
or even this
Posted Image

I can't find my pics of her when she was going after my ram or my 500 # Sows when she was just 5 months old since I didn't have the digital then, it was pretty intense..She was drawing blood. She jumped up and bit their ears to turn them...Reason for "chicken training". Reason why she learned to "turn" the lambs instead of nip them... she got the "Border Collie Stare" down but it was extremely tough for her...She would shake and smack her mouth..

GO with a Shetie or a border collie. More people / family then stock moving nippers..

AD

b575c2b0-fc46-4324-b0e9-28cf032b9558_zps

Home of :

The horses/Deborah K Farcuer, Bonita Angelica, JJ Tuff Butt, Snows Miss Nooks, Pleasantly Pefect, Zephyr and Airee

The Dogs/ Indigo, CoCo, Max and Minnie   The Cats/ Tynee Kitty, Mockie, Powder & Spook  The Pigs/ KC and LAY C Masterpiece

#15 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

My son was three when we got Sidda, and she never EVER herded or nipped him. I think she is smart enough to know that kids aren't sheep and vice versa.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#16 Zanit

Zanit

Been there done that

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

FYI- Newt our border collie mix has never nipped our 3 1/2 year old. We got him when our daughter was 1 1/2 years old. I'd do it again, he has shown an amazing ability to fit into a growing family. I agree whole heartedly with what Alaskadraft said. We have a blue heeler and it is quite the opposite.

Now that said, he has tripped my daughter and her friends more than once trying to run around them and "herd" them. But I'd take that over biting!

Good luck with your search.

In loving memory of Jaime Lynn Krausse-Campbell-she loved horses and her country. Lived for horses, died for all of us. God Bless the solider

Mommy to Taylor JoAnn- March 30, 2008 and Trista Lynn July 6, 2013!

#17 RailroadWoman

RailroadWoman

That's My Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Your not crazy for getting a pup. We got ours when AJ was 19 months old & had no problem.

George is 3/4 aussie 1/4 border & is GREAT. Never nipped or herded anybody as of yet. He is also layed back & a lover.

Posted Image

What we do best. :rolleye0014:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Horses, Oh Horses Furry and Sweet.
You are always hungry And you have lots to eat.
The grass is your food, You are never rude.
Apples and oats are your snack After someone has been on your back.
You stand on you feet when you sleep, You never make a peep,
Under the tress, you peacefully sleep, While waiting for the next morning.
Horses, Oh Horses Furry and Sweet.
(Morgan Woodrow)

#18 *BurgundyBlankets*

*BurgundyBlankets*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Both my boys are Australian shepherd blue heeler crosses... neither have EVER nipped or stared at weylin or the children in our family... now put a ball in that childs hand and yes that's a touch different.

However, my old man has looked AWAY and growled after being followed and having his hair pulled numerous times by Weylin. This has only happened once.

Every herding dog breed has its bad potatoes. As long as you realize that and raise your pup accordingly you'll be fine. Please do make sure to pull your pups ears, hair, tail and everything in between. It helps! :) good luck with your puppy!