• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smokeslastspot

smokeslastspot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Does anyone have a horse that will do the running walk and trot? Baldur will be going to training soon and I would like for him to have some sort of cue to indicate which gait I want him to do.

The trainer has never dealt with anyone who actually wanted their TWH to trot so we are trying to decide what would work easiest for us and Baldur.
Thor - Paint/Belgian x gelding
Eyore - Donkey
Gidget, Pollyanna, Sunshine, Grimlin - Nigerian Dwarf does
Ivy, DC, Miss Daisy, Eli, Barney - Cats
Basil, Ginger - Miniature Pinchers
Fred - Border Collie
And some chickens, guineas, and fish

#2 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,383 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

My saddlebred and TWH did. It was all in the head set. I never quite figured it out, but I was never that good at riding gaited horses.

Owned by:

Tilly Monster- 10 yr old North American Spotted Draft
Kisser Lou- 9 yr old MFT cross (June 2005-November 2014 R.I.P.)

Banjo- 7 yr old Spotted Draft
Yoko Oh No!- 3 yr old Australian Shepherd
Ming Ling- 2 yr old Boston Terrier cross

Jefe and Pepe- Black headed caiques 

#3 smokeslastspot

smokeslastspot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Speaking of heads. He has what to me is a funky shaped head. When I put a halter on him the crown piece slides down his neck and just won't stay up no matter what, it's almost like he needs a brow band for his halter. His poll area is kinda knobby/pointy to me although all his mane hides it. His mothers head was the same way and she absolutely had to have a brow band. Is that just a TWH thing?

He does hold himself very upright. He is significantly shorter than Thor and sometimes his head is higher when they are standing side by side. His father and full sister have a very warm blood shaped head but he seems to have taken after his mother.
Thor - Paint/Belgian x gelding
Eyore - Donkey
Gidget, Pollyanna, Sunshine, Grimlin - Nigerian Dwarf does
Ivy, DC, Miss Daisy, Eli, Barney - Cats
Basil, Ginger - Miniature Pinchers
Fred - Border Collie
And some chickens, guineas, and fish

#4 Guilherme

Guilherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I've got a Mangalarga Marchador mare that does a center marcha (similar to the classical running walk of a '30s era TWH) and will trot, too. I get the trot if I "overcollect" and get her into a dressage-type bascule. I do that by pushing hard with the leg and fixing the hand (driving her into the bit).

G.
Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

#5 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

I use a cluck to move forward from a stand still, then Kiss Kiss to pick up speed, I do sometimes use a verbal word for some gaits, like walk or trot, otherwise it is a sound, if i really want speed I just say Hup Hup.. otherwise i dont much use my legs for forward speeds, they are used to turning, and side-passing and the like.. I use my seat the most, If i want a trot, I sit like on a QH, lean a tad forward on my feet, if i want a gait, I push my tail back into the saddle, and drive forward with my seat.. My horses are really sensitive about where your legs are, since my legs spasm when i ride, i had to teach my horse to ignore "kicks", but pay attention to body position leg position and intentional leg commands,as well as verbal or noise cues.

Ok lets see,
From Standing to dog walk ..... Cluck Cluck, loose rein relaxed seat

From Dog walk to flat walk... very soft Kiss Kiss, loose rein, relaxed seat

From Flat walk to running walk... set the rein length and loud Kiss Kiss, set the seat bones in the back of the saddle, push forward with seat,

From running walk to Trot.... I say, "Hup, Trot", I put my weight more in my feet, and squeeze with my calves, Set my seat bones in the center of the saddle,

From Trot to canter.... I say "Hup Hup", Collect the reins a little and set my seat bones into the back of the seat. Push forward with seat.

I use " HUP " as a verbal speed cue as it is easy for me, I used it when driving just moved to riding.. SO Hup Trot, is Speed up And then Trot.. Hup Hup is speed up and speed up..

I think if you and your trainer work out what your personal preference is, then you will really personalize your horse.. the way i taught the word for the gait or action is when my horse would do something I would give a verbal to go with it, eventually he just associated the cue he got when he did something with the actual command.. Kind of like lunging, walk trot, canter, those are verbals i use on the ground, and hup and kiss kiss and cluck are used there too.. so it transitions into the saddle.. kind of like teaching dog to sit, "Say sit, push tail end down to ground say sit, praise when get correct response " I teach my horses the same way!

Good Luck and tell us how it goes.

Edited by kitten-kat, 10 February 2012 - 05:23 PM.

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry.. Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride withhttps://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/ Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an Awesome 15hh 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Mage" a Handsome 15.3hh 05 Black and White Tobiano Missouri Fox Trotter gelding.

#6 skjotta

skjotta

owner of lava-goats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

on iceys, bringing your body weight foreward will usually always make them trot. tlt/running walk is hard to do with weight added to their front.

icey trainers tend to use the "natural way" when cueing the gaits. weight foreward makes trot the easiest gait for the horse, weight backwards make tlt the easier gait. walk is "slow" and canter is "fast" and flying pace is just a butt wiggle down from canter ;)
"If cavemen are our long ago ancestors, then evolution had to take affect. Evolution stepped in when all the cave men kept getting eaten by dinosaurs and other predators. Through evolution, our brains evolved into something bigger and better, so that we could build advanced tools to not only protect ourselves, but to hunt."

#7 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

"a butt wiggle!!!!

Good one! :yahoo: :rotf: :rotf:
"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"