• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#31 mybanjo

mybanjo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

Wow, it's surprising she's so close to foaling! She's sure keeping her figure! Anyway, congrats and let me know when the little one arrives...oh, and let me know about Monday too. It looks like you might have your hands full. :winking:
"Horse Nerd"

#32 dknight68

dknight68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

Hello all and thank you for the good advice and wishes. It has been a long day I think I have driven about 250 miles spent about $250 and I haven't filled the gas tank back up yet!! However we are excited to see what Maya has in there, We have no idea who the sire is and only the auction # to try to find the previous owner but I will put on my detective hat and see what I can find. We are also a- little nervous having not done this before but I assure you we are committed to do what we can to secure the best possible outcome.
I hope you all don't mind but I am going to think out loud here for a minute. About April last year we had a bad experience with a proud cut gelding my paddock was knee deep in mud because of a very wet spring so I took him to my brothers pasture where they were on solid ground and would share it with 2 calves. About 1 week later my brother called to tell me that the gelding had attacked and killed one of his calves, on the vets advice we put the horse down. We then decided perhaps we could go to the auction and give another horse a second chance at life. I found Maya there a young mare who appeared to be well cared for she had a shiney coat, well trimmed feet and pretty good confirmation. She was about 14 hands so not big and looking at her teeth coming 4 so maybe she would grow alittle bit more. Anyway I bought her for $185.00. About 3 weeks after we bought her she became very sick since the auction was in Ogden, Utah we were worried it was the horse herpes virus which started at a horse show in ogden. She got over it but it did take some antibiotics and some shots I think I paid double for health care in the first month than I paid for the horse. Now we find she is close to foaling. This horse is a trooper. Kitty kat mentioned we have a 19 year old mare we have had her since she was a yearling but she is starting to slow down a bit. She still has a few years in her but it is time to start finding a new best friend, Hopefully we have found that with Maya, we also hope that we have given 2 horses a chance at life that might not have gotten that. BTW the older mare is named April because she was born on April 1st, Maya is named Maya because we bought her in May so the new foal will hopefully be a colt and hold out until March, I am not sure I like the name February.

#33 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

that is a good Girls name.. I knew a girl names February when i was younger.. neat kid..

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#34 Milo

Milo

High Mileage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

I'm crossing my fingers for a mule baby LOL

Whatever she has--good luck, and of course, pictures must be posted of the new baby :-)
Lots of fun, a heart the size of Montana, and the mouth of a guttersnipe.

on 12/4/05 at 4:32am bestponymilo wrote: The twisteder© the better!

#35 Ardent

Ardent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Uh oh. Interested to see what she has. I hope it's not some crazy mixed creature. Do you know anything about any stud she may have been around?

Good luck with the foaling.
Anne

Posted Image

Citrus: my giant orange boy

#36 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

absolutely no clue.. she was sold as Open! Up near Ogden where she is from, they breed a lot of QH, Appy, Paint, is a huge one, and mules.. Could be anything.. as long as it is healthy is all i care..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#37 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,253 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Well, I hate that she is preggers for you guys but still.....Congrats! Cant wait to see what she has!

This!

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#38 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,253 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hey Renee...

We would love to come see the addition when it arrives of you and dknight don't mind????

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#39 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

It is not me to ask.. you have to ask the dknight. I have no say in it..

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#40 kidsncritters

kidsncritters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

Glad she found her way to you guys so she had good care. I know it wasn't what you wanted but she is lucky to be in good hands. Can't wait to see the foal. Good luck.
Leave only hoof prints!

#41 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Congratulations!

The masculine Spanish word for February is Febrero, the feminine form is Februeri.
It goes well with a dam named Maya.
:smileywavey:
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#42 Alaskandraft

Alaskandraft

Let it snow!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

Sometimes it helps to see pictures of other mares to get an idea of her due date... Twinkie was about this far along at 295 days..she was also a maiden. and went 325 days.. It was picture perfect and outdoors. I would say you have 30 days or less to go. More or less since its not exact Science..... Here is a link to her foaling post. She was 6 when she had Gunny.

http://forums.horsec...c=47069403&st=0

http://forums.horsec...hp?showforum=26

They really don't need anything fancy..you can set up a carport tent set up with plywood sides and some fencing in the front for a foaling stall..Add a truck load of sand in the tent area lots of straw for bedding..Anchor the tent down.. its a shelter..I know of many foals born under them and not one lost because of the building it was in..

There are many good links in the foal forum and you can see how some of them long and others like Twinkie went by the book...Many here will also help you with info.. as far as milk goes ..I don't think that since you took her off fescue and the bag that she is developing is gonna equal a lack of milk...:winking: You won't know about the Placenta until later... but a good friend on the Interent freinds who ride had a freind of hers do the same thing with a mare and the mare and foal were fine..DON'T PANIC! Its only a baby!

AD

b575c2b0-fc46-4324-b0e9-28cf032b9558_zps

Home of :

The horses/Deborah K Farcuer, Bonita Angelica, JJ Tuff Butt, Snows Miss Nooks, Pleasantly Pefect, Zephyr and Airee

The Dogs/ Indigo, CoCo, Max and Minnie   The Cats/ Tynee Kitty, Mockie, Powder & Spook  The Pigs/ KC and LAY C Masterpiece

#43 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

Monitoring a drop or two of mammary secretions will give you a very good idea of how things are progressing. Very characteristic changes from thin & colorless to gradually thickening and becoming more opaque. When its thick like cream with a yellow tinge, you're really, really close.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#44 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

I am headed out this after noon to get more pictures and check her out really good.. last photos led me to believe i have about a 2 weeks window.. we shall see!!! I think she is progressing fairly normal, but mares never do tell the truth!! LOL

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#45 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

Well I am thinking by the weekend we might have a foal, she is progressing rather fast, today we have wax, and I can express clear liquid from her. she is MUCH wider.. so I figured I have to post more photos.. Enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by kitten-kat, 22 February 2012 - 11:01 PM.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#46 TracyA

TracyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Good luck with everything. She definitely looks bigger in these pics. Thanks for the update.
I'm still a horse crazy teenager at heart!

#47 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

You've got wax AND distended teats. Forget this weekend, you may have a foal by morning!!! Of course, these are mares we're talking about too.....could just as easily be 2 weeks from now. Welcome to foal watching. Buy coffee now.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.

#48 Alaskandraft

Alaskandraft

Let it snow!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

Wow! she sure changed in just a weeks time!

AD

b575c2b0-fc46-4324-b0e9-28cf032b9558_zps

Home of :

The horses/Deborah K Farcuer, Bonita Angelica, JJ Tuff Butt, Snows Miss Nooks, Pleasantly Pefect, Zephyr and Airee

The Dogs/ Indigo, CoCo, Max and Minnie   The Cats/ Tynee Kitty, Mockie, Powder & Spook  The Pigs/ KC and LAY C Masterpiece

#49 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

I know!! Big difference.. I will be making a 2 am drive out to the barn to check on her.. gonna be a busy few nights

Edited by kitten-kat, 23 February 2012 - 12:47 AM.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#50 Graywolf 1

Graywolf 1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Can't wait to see what she is having. What a surprise! Congrats!

#51 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

As of 6:00 am when i left, there was no baby to take pictures of!

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#52 Cactus Rose

Cactus Rose

Mountain Trail Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,563 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

I had an appie mare that would have b00bs and wax and moo like a cow for heavens sake.

The only way I could REALLY tell when it was lift off time, was - her second last foal I noticed the muscle on either side of her tail head kind of.......dropped away a bit for lack of a better description. The next morning - baby.

Her last foal - I had her in the corral, the barn door open so she could go in and out - cuz I knew for sure it was going to be born within 24 hours.

Yup - a purdy little dun filly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Cactus Rose, 23 February 2012 - 08:58 AM.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Shut Up & Enjoy The Music ! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

#53 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

her tail head has been soft for a week now.. in fact yesterday it was much like jello!

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#54 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

Im anxious to see!!! Come on baby!
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#55 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

we have milk seepage tonight, Got the pickup truck ready for a long night of camping out!! Love the dodge back seating, fold up the seats, lay out the cargo plates, and set up bedding, level, and comfy!! have book on tape, (second book for the game of thrones) plenty of water, and all my baby ready bag set up!! I have the vets # on hand, and both the BO and the owners so I can call them both if anything happens! So am ready for another long night..

Edited by kitten-kat, 24 February 2012 - 02:10 AM.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#56 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

I am so excited about this! Can't wait to see pics of the baby. I :wub: babies.

Owned by:

Tilly Monster- 9 yr old North American Spotted Draft
Kisser Lou- 8 yr old MFT cross
Yoko Oh No!- 3 yr old Australian Shepherd
Ming Ling- 1 yr old Boston Terrier cross

Jefe and Pepe- Black headed caiques 

#57 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

as of 7:00 this morning, there is no little one on the ground.. Now the hope is she holds it till Monday, as we have a storm coming in! Milk has come in even more over night, she is very very full, and is only now sensitive.. SO tonihgt makes another foal watch!! le'sigh, would like a bit more sleep!!

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#58 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Storm rolling in is a sure sign. :) Full moons and dropping atmospheric pressure typically do it every time. :)

On a non-old-wives tale note, if she's leaking milk, please make sure the foal gets an IgG check at 18-24 hours old.

Dina Wild, DVM

#59 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Will advise owner of that! it is barely a drop or two.. no huge leakage.. when i went last night it wasn't as much as i had thought from what i was being told I dont consider it much of a leak at all... but we do have FULL waxing, Very very full teats, and last night when i would do my hourly check on her (turn headlights on truck peak out front window, turn off lights go back to sleep in back seat of truck.. LOL) she was lifting her tail, but nothing else.. peed a lot too! Tummy is tight, but it always seems tight. However the baby has moved more into position, her belly is getting HUGE and dropping a bit. But not a whole lot... just getting more big.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#60 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

In fact what they saw on the legs, I think was from her laying down and putting pressure on them.. it is about where her leg would lay against the teats. and what i saw was just a drop or two..

[/url]">PumKy.gif