#1 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Ok here it goes,
Back story; 3 year old mare bought at auction middle to end may 11.. Not mine, but currently in my care for manners. Which she is doing wonderfully with.

she comes to me January, Looking like a little mare who was sick last year, and recovered well, and is putting weight on, and re-building top-line
Posted Image

Posted Image

Come today when I am grooming, I look under her belly to make sure there aren't any dingle berries, and today I find

Posted Image

Posted Image

She looks like this

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am hoping she is just a full mare in heat, but that full leaves me boggled.. I am only doing the majority walk, with little trot canter, still working on finessing Stop back into the equation with complete predictability. So am looking to opinions. Please tell me she is NOT in foal, she has not been near a stud since they got her, only time could be at or before auction, which calculations would put a very very near due date. Have never had a mare that bagged up this much without reason. She is 3 going on 4, maybe a little older than 4..

Edited by kitten-kat, 28 February 2012 - 12:16 PM.

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#2 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Looks like a preggers mare to me and getting closeish to due date....few weeks to a month or better. Palpation is def. in order because id say 99.9999% chance there is a baby on the way soonish. Is she squishy and flabby on either side of her tailhead? Looks like its started and certainly bagging up.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#3 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

Try tapping and pushing on her belly just in front of her udder.. I used to get Phoenix to tap back at me that way! lol

I would agree, appearing to be pregnant. Get a palpation asap.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."

#4 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

advising owner of that tomorrow.. ugh

BTW for possible assist, one more photo,
Posted Image

a little soft around the tail head.. not as sensitive to the nudging there to get her to tuck her bum and lift her belly..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#5 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

Id say 4 to 6ish weeks, maybe 8 even, away yet just guesstimating. She isnt V'd yet at all and not super wide load looking yet and the udder has some development to go. Kinda stretchy looking in the rear but not too squishy as you say. Just my guess. Im almost certain she is preggers with all the signs there. Vet will give an estimate of time left to go with a palp.

One thing, hopefully she hasnt been on fescue hay? If so, you need to advise the vet of that if she is preggers and get her off of it right away unless it is endophyte free.

Got any teeth pictures to verify age? Just curious...
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

#6 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Yes, vet asap!

I would regularly feel Jess moving when Jet was that far along. Predicting when the baby will come is more art than science, it seems.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#7 loopyhorse

loopyhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

She definitely looks it to me... Hope you can get answers from a vet soon :happy0203: :surrender:
Reba

#8 Apps4Life

Apps4Life

Chief Turd Burglar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm in the YES camp as well. Vet is in order, fingers crossed.
Posted Image

BBs Met: ShezaSmokinGun, Mule_Freak's mom =), Kristina, Demon's Mom, SpottedT, MUT, Ratts, Notyo, HFF (and Bella), Pinky, Chey, Lora, Lash, Tuck, BB Blue, Hoofs In Motion, Got Barrels?, Meeker, Tuper, The Sugar Lady, Harley, journeysgirl, BuddyRoo, KatieMay, MizParker, DiamondJake, QuarterFlash, Andi, SweetAddiction, RunninColors, SCSpots, Heidi and FLEquus!

RIP Misty, thank you for teaching me so much

~Samantha~
My Tack for Sale

#9 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Looks in foal to me
Raising attractive , athletic Appaloosas, equally at home in the show ring and on the open trails
Cody Chrome Supreme member of the breed( superiors in trail,halter western pleasure hunter under saddle )
San Stone Image superiors in reining, western riding and trail
Miss Kilo Bright ApHC championship ROMs western pl, trail, HUS , hunter in hand, halter
A New Dimension three year old filly presently working with
Awarded With love 6 year old mare by Awarded, riding well and proven producer
Frankie hubby's senior trail horse
Rubix Hubby's jr trail horse
Dont Skip The Cadence by don't Skip This chip-three year old in training Sold
Mex , Dun Boy and Image, three yr old prospects

http://s335.photobuc...home/KiloBright

#10 teampenninglady123

teampenninglady123

C'est La Vie!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

can't say from pics. :confused0024:

The bag says yes buttttt.....have seen that kind of bag complete with milk vein down the belly and all,quite a few times before, and no beybey ever comes.

Two mares at out place even make liquid come out...but, alas, just a falsey brought on by her heat cycle.

One other mare just faked me out this year. and we saw the hook up ( neighbor stud jumped fence)

Would it warrant a vet call?? Absolutely. I wouldn't hesitate to get a vet to get on that.

Let us know! :smileywavey: :jump:
Trey and I

#11 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Well the owner is planning on making a very near future vet appointment.. Lucky My horses are where they are, vet is a few blocks away, so cheap call out. but man this doesn't make me happy.. We aren't sure where she should be to have the foal, My Mom and everyone i know says she shouldn't trailer at this stage of gestation, but I am not sure i want to raise up a baby for a few weeks till good to travel, then again, they have a smaller paddock, with a 19 year old mare, I dont know how she will be to share her home with a new babe. and we have absolutely NO clue as to what she would be bred to. UGH I hate unknowns.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#12 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yup have pictures of teeth,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#13 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ok Dont understand the term "V'd "

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#14 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Right before a mare has a foal, the foal moves into birthing position. When you look at the mare from the side, the mares belly will take more of a V shape instead of a round shape. This is a dead giveaway of birth being quite close.

This mare is a 4 coming 5 year old.
Posted Image

#15 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Cool, her owner will be happy to hear this. however was not too happy bout the aspect of up-coming baby.. bought mare as open, with no near intent to breed.. we are working details out, and he is making vet arrangements.. This will put only a small amount of change in any training.. as in no hauls to the Trail Competition course.. LOL but I think she will still keep getting ridden 2-3 times a week at easy rides as long as she shows no sign of discomfort. Barring any changes the vet might have..

Edited by kitten-kat, 14 February 2012 - 04:38 PM.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#16 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

If she is preggers, its a good idea to exercise her within reason and keep her moving. Mares with some muscle tone and not overweight deliver easier than obese couch potatoes. I rode my APHA mare gently till just a week or so before maybe.

Have you all made an appointment with the vet yet? Im curious to hear the news.
Posted Image

#17 dknight68

dknight68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hello all, question for Trinity I am the owner of this mare. You mentioned Fescue hay she was on a fescue/orchard grass mix until about mid December when we transitioned her over 10 days to alfalfa hay. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

#18 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Yeppers we find out thursday at noon!

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#19 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

and I am doing light majority walk, riding, and then light trot with the occasional canter.. in fact she is looking pretty good other than her girth... Welcome to the board dknight68! I am glad you finally joined. Don't forget to got the top of the main forum and find the topic, new members, post there so you can get more acquainted.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#20 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

You need to be sure to inform the vet that she has had fescue hay throughout this pregnancy if you do find out she is preggers. Alot of fescue hay is contaminated with an endophyte that makes pregnant mares have thickened placentas and no milk oftentimes. Your vet can give you more information about this. It may or may not be an issue, but do not feed her any more fescue hay unless you are 100% sure it is endophyte free. Fescue hay is good hay by itself, but the endophyte can be a real problem for pregnant mares and cause other issues as well. You can google more information.
Posted Image

#21 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

The vet can give your mare shots to help mediate the effects of fescue, but I think the timing is critical. I hope it turns out however you'd prefer!
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#22 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Preference tomorrow would be NO baby! But if there is, we are making plans.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#23 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

Let us know Renee!

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#24 coloredcowhorse

coloredcowhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Looks pregnant to me. If bred in May she won't be due until April so 2 months more or less...which matches up the udder appearance. Off fescue for 90-100 days before due so if she's off since Dec she's probably fine for that. V...as they get close to delivery the foal turns and butt drops down into the mares belly while front legs unfold and nose extends into birth position just below pelvic rim. My kids used to describe it as looking like someone dropped a bowling ball in the mare's middle. Looks like a maiden udder (teats are pretty small to have been used in the past) so harder to predict. Mares that are in foal can travel pretty well up to the last couple weeks so changing her location isn't a big issue there EXCEPT that she's building antibodies to whatever bacteria and virus's are in her environment and that's what the foal will get in colostrum. It takes several weeks to a month for this process so changing environment without giving her immune system time to respond before baby arrives will deprive the foal of some protections from the environment in which he arrives. Talk with vet regarding boosting all vaccinations asap so that she has antibody formation time as well for those. Did no one notice she wasn't coming in season through the summer? Or was she one of those few mares that continues to cycle?
Dorothy
My link

#25 mybanjo

mybanjo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Okay, had to come see the pics and it sounds unanimous that everyone thinks she's preggo. I'll be watching for the news tomorrow as well. Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for NO baby. :smilie:
"Horse Nerd"

#26 mybanjo

mybanjo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hello all, question for Trinity I am the owner of this mare. You mentioned Fescue hay she was on a fescue/orchard grass mix until about mid December when we transitioned her over 10 days to alfalfa hay. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Hello and welcome dknight. Looks like you have a very nice mare...and a great trainer. Best of luck with the vet tomorrow.
"Horse Nerd"

#27 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Well it is official, she is very very pregnant, vet got in about 6-8 inches and ran into FEET, So, she is due any day!! ugh.. Says she is very healthy, and foal is in correct position! So today we spent the afternoon bedding her stall, with sawdust and straw, We extended her stall out about 15 feet, and we are going to start upping her food intake just a bit.. after she gives birth, as per vet recommendation, she will start on Mare and Foal formula! So it seems for now her training is put on hold! She is staying where she is to have the baby to reduce risk up upset.

Edited by kitten-kat, 16 February 2012 - 09:44 PM.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#28 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

Well, I hate that she is preggers for you guys but still.....Congrats! Cant wait to see what she has!
Posted Image

#29 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

Well, I hate that she is preggers for you guys but still.....Congrats! Cant wait to see what she has!

Ditto this.

Owned by:

Tilly Monster- 10 yr old North American Spotted Draft
Kisser Lou- 9 yr old MFT cross

Banjo- 7 yr old Spotted Draft
Yoko Oh No!- 3 yr old Australian Shepherd
Ming Ling- 1 yr old Boston Terrier cross

Jefe and Pepe- Black headed caiques 

#30 TracyA

TracyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Best wishes for a safe delivery and a healthy mama and baby. Please share pics when the new arrival comes.

Tracy
I'm still a horse crazy teenager at heart!