3 replies to this topic

#1 dapplefred5

dapplefred5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

I found a gal I'd really like to half lease my horse to. The reasons I am half leasing is:
I am really busy and this horse would benefit from more riding
He is on self care so the lessee would be another set of eyes on him
A little extra money a month wouldn't hurt
and finally, a person who might be able to watch him when I'm travelling

So his board is $250, which doesn't include anything. I have to buy all his hay grain and shavings and do all labor. But I get use of great pastures, lovely barn, and riding ring.

One of my hopes was that the person leasing could ride during the week and on those days also feed him so if I'm busy at work I don't have to make an additional drive either super early in the AM or late after work to feed him. Because of that, I would discount the price.
I was thinking $100/month for 2-3 rides a week and on those riding days also feed him and muck stall if needed. Does that seem like too much?

I leased my other gelding all last year and it worked out really well, so I am aware of some leasing pitfalls. Because of that I have a fairly detailed lease agreement. Thanks, love to hear your input
owner of fred, mable, todd

#2 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

NO! It does not seem like too much. Considering the price of your board is $250 before you associated cost of actually taking care of the horse, I'd want at least half of the cost of board, including the associated half of feed and care.

Ultimately, it depends on you, but I wouldn't just give my horse to someone to ride.
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#3 dapplefred5

dapplefred5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

^ok thanks! Yeah I was starting to think that myself.
owner of fred, mable, todd

#4 hequestrian

hequestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

i would talk to her and make sure she is even interested in the care type deal with a discount. She might not want to be responsible? But if she is I think that you should start with maybe even 200... I was calculating what it costs for us to keep houston: hay grain and shavings and with the products we use we are spending close to 300 a month just for that stuff...

So I think that someone should be paying for half at least for 3 days a riding if they aren't helping. and If they are you should probably be getting at least 150 imo... But I don't know enough about it.

Posted Image
Equestrian At Hart - My Blog

There is no secret so close as that between a rider and her horse.