2 replies to this topic

#1 jackie2925

jackie2925

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

I've been thinking of doing a lease with Bella. She would have to be kept at the boarding facility she's at now but I also want it to be a lease where I am still able to ride her when I want. So maybe a half lease?

I'm not able to ride as much now that I'm working and I would like to find a way to earn some towards her board and feed.

What do you think and what would you charge and what would be included in the lease?
Horseless

#2 hequestrian

hequestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

I have never leased my horse out due to hearing horror stories but the first place I would look is at your facility? Or maybe talk to your trainer to see if they have a student that would suit her?

People generally charge like half board for a half lease but some are paid and some other expenses can be negotiated. You will want to make sure you have in writing that they cannot take the horse off property and that they are responsible for any and all injuries that could occur to the mare while they are using her. And that you are not responsible for anything that might happen to them while they are riding your horse... Some people work out an agreement that half of the general care expenses are shared ie. regular vet stuff and farrier

I think that in half lease situations people generally use your tack, brushes, and other care items. But that depends on the situation.

I will expand on this more later but I would honestly google it or even search the forum. There are a lot of different arrangements and half lease can be anywhere from 2-4 days a week I think. But you could even say they have 5 you have 1 and the mare gets a day off? It all depends on what works for you and the person who would be leasing her.

edit to add:
We do technically lease out my sisters pony. He is in the care of the lesson program of one of my trainers. So we pay for all vet and farrier bills but they are responsible for "board" and all of his other care. I check on him very very often though. I would not do it if I didnt have tons of eyes on him. I see him and other boarders check in on him for me.

Edited by hequestrian, 20 February 2012 - 11:26 AM.

Posted Image
Equestrian At Hart - My Blog

There is no secret so close as that between a rider and her horse.

#3 jackie2925

jackie2925

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

I was thinking of $200 a month. THat would be half of board, shavings and feed. There is no lesson program at my boarding barn but there is a boarder who is trying to get one started up.

I'm going to talk to my BO today and see what she thinks.
Horseless