29 replies to this topic

#1 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

So, many of you know that I got a puppy a few weeks ago.. We are working on crate training, and it is going very well. She will hold it all night.

However, in the morning as soon as she hears movement upstairs, she starts whining. If you don't get to her fast enough, she will start howling. My thing is that I need to pee first. I believe that she should wait. Humans first! Right??? :questionicon:

Who goes first in your house???

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#2 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

It seems that if you don't want accidents.....the dog!

I get woke up at 04:30 EVERY morning, rain or shine. I think my two have alarm clocks for hearts! LOL!
All I have to do is open the slider for them though.

Of course as soon as the horses hear activity, THEY want to eat too!
( No, I don't go feed horses until I am ready, and have taken care of "business")
"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#3 sycamore124

sycamore124

Ridin' the Ridges of KY....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

They do ! ! ! I rescued 2 Rat Terriers from the local animal shelter- Freckles would have been next on the "list" had I not taken him... Sammie had not been there that long... They are pretty much crate trained... house broke....uhhh...not so much.... but they get to go out first ! ! ! Guess I figure I can go anytime I want.... they on the other hand do not have that option if I have them in a crate....Syc

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow is not looking too good either.

#4 ohNine

ohNine

Cowgirls don't cry...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

When my dog was a puppy he went first, that way there were no accidents and he learned to always go outside. When they are puppies they just don't have the control that they learn when they are older and when they have to go, they have to go!

Now, Boone is almost 3 and has no problem holding it, rarely do we get woken up. I am able to go first, then take him out. In the winter he rarely asks to go out, since he is a wimp and hates the cold as much as I do, so we have to almost make him go out haha.
...Boots are made for sawdust floors, stirrups on a quarter horse. To kick yourself when you've been a fool, climbin' up on bar stools. Two steppin' under neon lights, ain't too bad in a bar room fight. For kickin' off when you're tired and sore, that's what boots are for...

#5 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Sushi goes first. If I have to go really bad I will run her to the middle of the yard and drop her off. Then I run back to the house. She does her business and I do mine. After she is done she comes and sits at the door and waits for me to open it for her. Usually though I go with her so I can jump around and squeal like an idiot when she goes. She enjoys the applause lol.

Yoko is old enough now that she can wait for me. I usually just open the door for her though.

Owned by:

Tilly Monster- 10 yr old North American Spotted Draft
Kisser Lou- 9 yr old MFT cross

Banjo- 7 yr old Spotted Draft
Yoko Oh No!- 3 yr old Australian Shepherd
Ming Ling- 1 yr old Boston Terrier cross

Jefe and Pepe- Black headed caiques 

#6 sammi87

sammi87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

My friend has it figured out-they built the puppy a kennel with a potty place under the deck-he gets up in the morning and carries the puppy down the stairs (the stairs are steep and it's a large breed dog) and then they both pee in the kennel :happy0203:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Where are we going? And why am I in this hand basket?"

my "herd":
2 very naughty cats
5 Chickens
5 Ball Pythons
1 Leopard Gecko
Assorted Crested Geckos
29 gallon saltwater mini reef
several thousand Italian honeybees

#7 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

You guys make me feel bad!! LOL. :happy0203:

I guess I am going to have to learn how to hold it a little longer so that I can get the Princess out into the back yard.

#8 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Haven't read replies, will do so immediately after posting.

IMO, this is a puppy aka: baby and until the puppy has matured enough to physically and mentally become comfortable with the household routine, the pup should be allowed to pee first.
I have the ability of single-minded determination and focu... Hey, look! A horse!
Posted Image

#9 Epona142

Epona142

The Goat Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

I make my dogs wait, but they are all mature and sleep in the bed with me.

Unless one happens to wake me up for an emergency pee. Then I'll go let them out first.
I can now be reached via PM. Thanks.

#10 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

My friend has it figured out-they built the puppy a kennel with a potty place under the deck-he gets up in the morning and carries the puppy down the stairs (the stairs are steep and it's a large breed dog) and then they both pee in the kennel :happy0203:

LOL! :notworthy:

I guess I am going to have to learn how to hold it a little longer so that I can get the Princess out into the back yard.

Don't worry, the Princess won't be a puppy forever. :huggy:
I have the ability of single-minded determination and focu... Hey, look! A horse!
Posted Image

#11 Sol

Sol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Puppies go first! I'd rather hold it myself than clean up an accident.
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." - Arabian proverb

I met a board buddie!!: fresianwelshx, Barnbarb

Stony Creek Cane Corso

Proud owner of Lacey, Vito, Luciana, Kara, Nox, and Ally - Cane Corso Italianos
Bella - JRT

#12 cowgirl1991

cowgirl1991

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

I make my dog wait until I've went first inless he acts like its a emergency. Id rather him have an accident then me have an accident as I believe mine would be a lot more to clean up then his. If its an emergency I let him out then I go and when Im done, I go let him back inside. He usually doesn't care though as most of the time he sits and stares at me while I'm using the bathroom anyway lol
~*Kelly*~
Home Of

Fancy (1998 Bay Overo Mare)
Gabby (2004 SPB Bay Mare)

#13 wolfhaven

wolfhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Puppy first, adult dog goes second. On the bright side doing the pee pee dance will help invigorate the start of your day.

#14 LoveMyDog

LoveMyDog

This is like a 9.5 awkward for me right now...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yep, another vote for the puppy goes first. As they physically/mentally grow you can start changing that but right now pup probably really NEEDS to go first.

#15 hequestrian

hequestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Puppies first until they get the idea. As for the howling... Phoebe would do that when I first brought her home ANYTIME she was alone in her crate. It was HORRID. Be glad she at least sleeps in it and waits until she hears you moving around to start that nonsense! :)

Posted Image
Equestrian At Hart - My Blog

There is no secret so close as that between a rider and her horse.

#16 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,306 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Puppies first, just like any other baby. We come second until they have the physiological ability to control things and the understanding.
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#17 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yes, puppies used to go first...now they are older and I go first. As soon as they hear me up though, they start body slamming the door!

#18 RockSolid

RockSolid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Puppy first!

However, my year-old dog now is second -- she has decided that I get up too early in the morning. She's crate trained and actually prefers to sleep in there at night, so I get up, unlatch her crate door...then go get breakfast, shower, etc...as she sleeps. Sometimes she'll get up when she smells food in the kitchen, other times she'll blink and glare until I turn the bedroom light off after getting dressed. Some mornings I end up going to feed horses and coming back before she'll wake her lazy butt up! LOL, 5am is much too early in her opinion.

#19 loopyhorse

loopyhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

I do agree that until you can expect her to hold it long enough, puppy first... but in general, for older dogs and such, human first!

As for the howling... maybe you can practice putting her in there while you are all up and around to make sure she doesn't begin howling whenever she just wants out or wants to see you. If she howls then, when you know she doesn't need to go potty- Ignore!

It won't be long until she's able to wait for you more :smileywavey:
Reba

#20 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Okay, okay... I give. Lol. My Paisley Princess will get to go first. At least until she is old enough to wait.

I am very pleased with everything she already knows. She is so smart.

#21 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,636 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

Puppy first, adult dog goes second. On the bright side doing the pee pee dance will help invigorate the start of your day.

Hahahaha!

Puppy first!

However, my year-old dog now is second -- she has decided that I get up too early in the morning. She's crate trained and actually prefers to sleep in there at night, so I get up, unlatch her crate door...then go get breakfast, shower, etc...as she sleeps. Sometimes she'll get up when she smells food in the kitchen, other times she'll blink and glare until I turn the bedroom light off after getting dressed. Some mornings I end up going to feed horses and coming back before she'll wake her lazy butt up! LOL, 5am is much too early in her opinion.

LOL. She sounds more like a cat! And I agree -- 5 a.m. is way too early.

As for the howling... maybe you can practice putting her in there while you are all up and around to make sure she doesn't begin howling whenever she just wants out or wants to see you. If she howls then, when you know she doesn't need to go potty- Ignore!

Good idea. I was worried about the idea of Paisley training Eskie!

#22 wolfhaven

wolfhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hahahaha!

LOL. She sounds more like a cat! And I agree -- 5 a.m. is way too early.

Good idea. I was worried about the idea of Paisley training Eskie!

I think that ship has sailed...

#23 Zeusyboy

Zeusyboy

Life Is Better At A Gallop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:22 AM

Heck, my dogs aren't puppies and they go out first. Always.

2 of mine don't get along, and therefore have to go out separate. Target and Dandee i'll let out, then I run upstairs to do what I need to do. Come back down, bring them in, and let Wendyl out. While wendyl is outside, I distribute food, fill water bowls, etc..

Routine works for me. Sometimes Wendyl doesn't want to go out, but they're usually ready to go out.
ASHLEY
Theres no such thing as PEOPLE with HORSE issues, Just HORSES with PEOPLE issues. - Buck Brannaman
Even though you've been Bucked, Kicked Bit and Stomped... Never Give Up....
Silly Boys..Trucks Are For Girls
I Haven't Got A Pot To Pee In, Or Even A Window To Throw It Out Of..
I FINALLY Met A Board Buddy - Mudder, Taglet, Barnboss

#24 ohNine

ohNine

Cowgirls don't cry...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

I would say it's different for those of us who live in apartments vs. those who live in a home with a yard and can just let the dog out the door to do its business.

If I don't go first (which my dog doesn't mind), I'd be having to bundle up, go down 3 flights of stairs, stand outside with dog on leash and wait for him to potty, and pick up his "gifts" all while trying not to pee my pants, lol.

If we had a yard? I would have no problem letting him out first, going to do MY business, then let him back in.
...Boots are made for sawdust floors, stirrups on a quarter horse. To kick yourself when you've been a fool, climbin' up on bar stools. Two steppin' under neon lights, ain't too bad in a bar room fight. For kickin' off when you're tired and sore, that's what boots are for...

#25 brlracr624

brlracr624

Insane and loving it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Haven''t read replies yet I will after I reply. But as puppies they get to go first. Just as while my human kids are small their needs come before mine. Once the puppy gets control of their bladder and has a full grasp on I only go outside and can physically wait, then I get to go first. Only then! With Tank while we were Crate training I did the pee pee dance every morning for 3 months on the back deck while he went first in the morning. It was very worth it though. We also during the day worked with him and the phrase "go potty" as a command. I really like this for when we are traveling so that he knows if we are outside and he just wants to sniff and sniff and sniff that I want him to go potty first then he can sniff. So during the day we worked a lot on the "go potty" command and when he would he of course got a lot of praise and it became just like sit, stay and lay down. Now I can take him anywhere and when I know he has to go I take him out and tell him "go potty" and he only sniffs the ground a few seconds til he finds a spot to go then comes back to the door. But if I just let him out he knows he can sniff til his heart is content and take his time. That is a great tool when I'm doing the pee pee dance myself.

At home now I used to open his crate and he would let himself out of the dog door and go out in the morning. Now my 2yo has taken that as her morning "chore" she loves to do it and giggles hysterically when he comes trotting out past her.

But if you would have changed a babies diaper first or fed your baby first then I do the same with a puppy or any animal in my care. Just what I think. Now off to see what everyone else thinks
BB's I've met...Tazzin, Trinity, NCtrailgirl, DixieBelle, Loverofhorses36, edenn3583 and Lynnehall67

Slave to my animals
Tank my loving Heeler mix
Scout my feline master
JuneBug AMHA bay roan
Jinky the wonder goat Went to greener pastures 10/27/11

#26 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

I think that ship has sailed...

Ok, Wolf.. I shall be hunting you down now.

#27 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

When our female lab was a puppy, we let her sleep in bed with us for a while. She would wake up and need to go out NOW. All it took was one time of not getting up and her peeing right there on the bed and after that she was let out the second she let us know she needed to go out.
Board buddies I've met: Doublelhorses, Trail-Rider, DeLucky2, blaze1, HorseLuvrinIL

#28 Mestengo

Mestengo

Servant to the Little Prince

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Puppy before human. Adult dog after human.

My gallery

I met a Board Buddy: Lora, Teddybear9, BarnBarb831, HBRider_1, myoldhorse, and meeker_gurl8789.

#29 Icowgirledup

Icowgirledup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Sadly my husband and I know we are owned by a calico cat and 3 horses LOL
I always put hubby and kids *animals* before myself always have.

#30 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Wow - I am extra mean. I haven't had a puppy for ten years though, so I guess I don't really remember that stage. My dogs wait until I come out for coffee before they go out. I think Sidda is good for about 18 hours....way longer than me!!! Wrigley was an older puppy when we adopted him (8 months or so), and he had an accident the first night and never again.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image