Quantcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cleaning Another Saddle #2 Finished Photos!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

OK we have here a pretty little
Sears # 50121

Posted Image

it has a Ralide # 1523 tree

Posted Image

15 inch seat and is just here for cleaning..

Posted Image

Posted Image

The fleece was pretty darned flat to start, and took 3 vacuum and flocking's to get it to where i liked it..

This first photo shows how compact the one side is to just the first vacuum job on the other

Posted Image

Posted Image

I found ALL of the nails underside in the fleece were coming out and had to be moved slightly and reset

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by kitten-kat, 07 March 2012 - 07:24 PM.

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#2 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

This next photo set shows it really coming back to life.

This photo shows one side with 1 vacuum and 1 flocking, and the other side with 2 vacuum and 2 flocking

Posted Image

I am using a Dog brusk to flock and clean the fleece, I brush it out first, dislodging any dirt, or other foreign matter,

Posted Image

then use the pins to pull up on the fleece, by hooking the fleece, then rolling the brush backwards to pull up on it,

Posted Image

Clean and vacuumed I will probably Rinse this out and let it dry, and then re-flock it one more time

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is all for today's cleaning. I am going to bring the barrel home again so that tomorrow when i wash the whole thing, and clean the fleece as well, I can put it on towels on the barrel and strap it down in front of the kitchen heater to re-lock the leather back into a flat position

What ya think so far??

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#3 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

i want to see pics of the reflocking process!!??

i/m ptetty sure my PM saddle could use a reflock...
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#4 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

those are all I have.. I just vacuum it really really good, and then brush it out, then vacuum again and rebrush.. from there if it still feels icky, (stiff like it will just re-compact, I use a soft detergent, and then scrub it.. then i put it on a barrel to dry, and then brush and pull the nap up with the dog brush!! When I finish washing the fleece on this one I will try to have my other half video it.. but it sure does make a bit of difference, eh?

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#5 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Well I learned more information from ralide on the "Trees" I thought it was Way awesome they wrote me back and told me a bit about them! This is too cool!

Quote form e-mail response.

All of our trees are made from High Density Polyethylene(plastic) solid, they are made in a one piece mold, process is called injection molded. The horns are inserted during the manufacturing process and are actually inside the pommel/front of tree. We cannot accommodate any changes to the current dimensions/model trees we currently manufacture.

The 1504 & 1523 are our model numbers, you cannot find anything about them on the website because they are discontinued items.

We will not be manufacturing them anymore. I do not have any of the 1523 in stock. They are Older models from the 60s we do not carry anymore. I have dimensions I can email you. I think we may have only 4 RT1504 LEFT IN STOCK

The 1523 is a swept back trail riding or cutting tree/saddle.

The 1504 is practically the same dimensions as the 1500, but with a wider form fitter swell for trail riding and for cutting.

1504 Dimensions

Seat 15

Swell 13

Cantle 3

Bars 19 5/8 Quarter Horse

Gullet 6 wide x 6 high

Horn Size 2 5/8 cap 3 height

Weight 9 lbs 9oz.

1523 Dimensions

Seat 15 1/8

Swell 12 5/8

Cantle 3 1/8

Bars 19 3/8 Quarter Horse

Gullet 6 3/4wide x 6 high

Horn Size 2 cap 3 height

Weight 5 lbs 5oz

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#6 xcanchaserchicx

xcanchaserchicx

Runnin' barrels is my anti-drug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

oh wow!! that's awesome. I wonder if I can do that with my barrel saddle? because it's REALLY flat!
~Rae AKA "Slinky's Girl" given by JPParadiseRanch (LOL)
------------
Proud owner of Slinky - 2002 OTTB gelding

R.I.P Mariah (11.8.08) - You will never be forgotten sweet mare!
R.I.P G-Man (8.8.09) - You were the guiding light to my barrel racing addiction!
R.I.P Kahlua (8.21.10) - You gave my friend the world, you will be deeply missed!

Can Chaser for Life Baby!
MSN: xcanchaserchicx@live.com OR Facebook Me: xcanchaserchicx@gmail.com
*add 380 as barrelracinsyd (May 2002)*

Credit to Trail Hoss 2

Member of the "I Ran Out Of Horsemanship" Club!

I met board buddies! KahLuaChic77, AltAdenA Cowgirl, Three*C*Champs, Zakima, Zmecky, RP......Who's next?

#7 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

I would almost suggest washing the fleece out first, mild mild detergent, and warm water, and scrub it with fingers, ( I am known to put a tiny bit of olive or mineral oil in my wash water to give it a little conditioning, like 1/4tsp to 2 gallons wash water..) then I rinse really really well, then let dry completely, I dont want it wet even the slightest before i attach it with the brushes and vacuum.. I want to make sure the fleece is gonna be ok... wet means it could fall apart easier.. This is artificial fleece, and doesn't get the moth worms as easily, Not saying it dont, but.... Anyway if you have real fleece, you need to find an inconspicuous place to test, tug at a few places with your fingers make sure they are still staying attached, if they are not, you need new fleece, if they do you start with a vacuuming, then slowly start brushing your way through.. when you complete the brushing, vacuum again , then brush and then flock.. your fleece should feel softer and have some bounce back in it!

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#8 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,739 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Looking great Kitten-Kat!
Thanks for the info on how to bring the fleece back to life!

I still have to work on the Tex Tan Hereford saddle that I bought a few months ago. I got rid of the mold, oiled the underside and still have to deep clean the carved and tooled top side.
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#9 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have to do that to this one, is gonna be fun!! Toothbrushes are the saddles best friend on how to get the tooling!! LOL

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#10 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

been using a toothbrush trying to get ALL the dirt off my PM saddle...it's sloooooow going!! lol. And since I'm bunking at my folk's place for another week or so...dad keeps "offering" to wax the saddle for me. Ughhhh...no Dad, I do not want my saddle waxed!!!
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

#11 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

Why would he wax it? is he trying to make it into a decoration?

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#12 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Because he thinks waxing leather is a great idea...which I guess it is for SOME things...but not saddles...but I can't convince him that there is a difference between him waxing his leather shoes and him waxing my saddle...
*Canter for the Cure*

#13 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

I can see that!! To me it just makes the saddle sticky, and weird feeling

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#14 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hey, KittenKat ~ Thanks for the info on the Ralide saddle trees. I have a Simco out in the tackroom at our other place with a cracked tree. The whole ground seat is compromised lengthwise.
I had taken the saddle to re-sew the horn cap for a friend and I noticed a short crack in the ground seat and told her about it. I recommended against using it, but she kept riding it, and with two fleece pads.

I had sold her a palomino gelding and he came up with a white spot on either side of his withers that were the size of a man's hand. Those fleece pads had allowed the saddle to overflex, and the crack grew quite longer. She finally bought a new saddle with a rawhide-covered tree and I bought the old saddle, planning on one day sticking a new tree in it.I'll have to check and see what number the tree is.

I've replaced Ralide trees in saddles a few times and believe me, getting one apart is harder work than putting the old leather on a new tree!
Saddletramp

#15 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

I thought it was really cool to read her response too!! I was thinking bout writing and finding bout another one i have.. seems ralide are Hugely bought, How many makers do you think use ralide trees?

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#16 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

I thought it was really cool to read her response too!! I was thinking bout writing and finding bout another one i have.. seems ralide are Hugely bought, How many makers do you think use ralide trees?

There must be a slew of saddle companies that use Ralide trees. Back in the 80's I was talking on the phone with a woman at a tree company. I mentioned that I had two saddles apart and they both had Rawhide-covered trees from her company in New Braunfels, Texas. She sort of sighed and said that since Action Company had bought up so many saddle companies, her company had lost a lot of tree business to Ralide.
Saddletramp

#17 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

That is sad to hear.. the problem with ralide is as she said they cant change the tree, they cant make it specific, so you get what you get.. they do however take a lot of crap before they finally give.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#18 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

That is sad to hear.. the problem with ralide is as she said they cant change the tree, they cant make it specific, so you get what you get.. they do however take a lot of crap before they finally give.

Yeah, but I'd rather begin with a good rawhide-covered tree. I've got a couple of saddles out in the tackroom that have to be from the 1920's and the rawhide-covered trees are still intact. One, an H.P.C. Evers, from Brady, Texas, I picked up at the Horsetraders' Convention* back in the 70's. It looked like the death of the rag doll, but I brought it along slowly, straightening out the dried-up leather, sewing on new fleece, re-covering the stirrups, re-stringing it, etc. etc, ad nauseum, until it was once again a usable rig.

Evers' great grandson got ahold of me here at Horse City and I promised him some pictures. I'll just have to wait until my daughter has time to come up and take some pictures with her phone.

* The Horsetraders' Convention: It was an annual four-day get-together at the horse auction at Grand Rapids, Ohio. Traders came from all over to trade around the clock from Thursday thru Sunday. They had a junk auction on Friday night and a horse auction on Saturday evening. Everybody was encouraged to take part, even the kids, and it was understood that you might get taken to the cleaners by a sharp trader. One kid got me! One of the Embach kids from rural Hudson, Michigan offered to trade cigarette lighters, sight unseen, and take fifty cents to boot. He said he'd guarantee that his would light the first time. We made the trade. That little potlicker dropped a kitchen match into my hand and repeated his guarantee - it'd light the first time! After that I was out of luck!

An old cowboy I knew had taken those kids under his wing. He told them never to sell, but trade and take boot money. Those kids came on Thursday with two horses, traded thirty-eight times over four days, and went home with four horses and a pocket full of money. A really good bunch of kids from a really good family! I miss those times!

Edited to say: I almost frogot to mention the rodeo they had on the last day of the convention. It was quite a deal.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner, 05 March 2012 - 10:27 AM.

Saddletramp

#19 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

I rather rawhide, but I do find Ralides to work well for your general rider as long as it fits the horse. And I know a few horses that they fit very well on when no other would.. it is sixes.. cant find a saddle with a ralide tree from the 20's.. LOL they didn't show up till 65.. I want to see one in 40 years and see the condition!

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#20 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

Ok Saddle has officially had a bath and is very clean now.. it is now in the shaping phase, and is attached to its barrel for about 3 days to finish drying.

As to photos.

This photo shows a very clean fleece, it took a lot to scrub all the dirt out of it, and once it was clean it sure was easy to flock.

Posted Image

Clean saddle, You can see the rear jockey flaps sitting more flat all ready..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bound to the barrel for drying.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy!

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#21 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Yesterday I began taking apart a saddle with a Ralide tree. It's a Simco from 1971 or 1972. I haven't found a number yet, but hope to find one when I remove the skirts or the seat leather. I'm hoping it's a #1650 Trail tree. I've done this before and it ain't fun! Getting the saddle apart is harder than putting everything back together.

I noticed this saddle back in the late 80's when the owner asked me to re-sew the horn cap. I noticed a small crack (about 2-1/2" to 3" long in the groundseat. I told the owner but she wasn't convinced it would bother her horse till he got patches of white hair on both sides of his withers. The crack had grown to about 6" or 7" long. The saddle would flex way too far. She finally bought a saddle with a rawhide-covered tree and stuck this rig on a rack.

I bought the saddle from her 8 or 10 years ago and stuck in on a rack in the tackroom. Now I hope I can still get the tree. Why the heck did I ever get into this stuff anyway?

Saddletramp

#22 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

LOL dunno, but it is as much frustrating as fun!! This saddle has given me a headache, but it sure is turning out really nice. Just wish it didn't take 2 weeks.. When it is off the drying drum I will get some new pictures.

Ralide trees are a pain, but when cared for last forever.. However I do know the few that have broken, and Man what a mess.. I know a guy found himself a rawhide covered tree, and replaced his shattered ralide tree.. (his drum horse flipped over onto it snapped the horn off, split the tree in 4 places.. he showed me the pieces when he got it apart, what a mess)

I do know there are quite a few Ralide knockoffs, the numbers are always on the inside bottom (by the fleece) according to ralide the stamp all their tree with the number, is kind of their makers mark. No number, not ralide. This is making me wonder what is under my King saddle!!

Edited by kitten-kat, 07 March 2012 - 07:32 PM.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#23 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Spent a very late night rubbing and polishing leather till my arms are sore, leather dried out faster than anticipated.. Good thing.. Let me work it pretty solidly for about 5 hours.. I am considering doing another coal of polish, but I am happy with the turnout. I am letting it sit the rest of the time off the barrel, the leather seem to be behaving itself very nicely!

Last night in the process.

Note the front sits more even!! (if you look close there is a difference in the thickness of the leather on the skirts.. this was fun to deal with)

Posted Image

looking from the rear you can see the jockeys are sitting very nicely!!

Posted Image

There is a little inner damp in the leather at this point, but dry enough for me to seal form the top.. I like the feel of the leather at this time for polishing.. makes the leather more receptive to the sealant.. (fiebrings leather polish)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some shots form today I took it outside to see it better.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So what ya think??

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#24 *BurgundyBlankets*

*BurgundyBlankets*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Love it!! Ill ship you mine now k?!

#25 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

I made some side by sides so it is easier to see!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think the fleece has me most pleased.. I was about to tell the owner not much could be done with it when i first got a good look.. But after the first cleaning process even before the wash i was happy.. after the wash I was just tickled pink!
It is soo much more soft and fluffy, I am thinking his horses and he will like his saddle much more.. I am hoping anyway!! :)

Posted Image

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#26 mybanjo

mybanjo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

This next photo set shows it really coming back to life.

This photo shows one side with 1 vacuum and 1 flocking, and the other side with 2 vacuum and 2 flocking

Posted Image

I am using a Dog brusk to flock and clean the fleece, I brush it out first, dislodging any dirt, or other foreign matter,

Posted Image

then use the pins to pull up on the fleece, by hooking the fleece, then rolling the brush backwards to pull up on it,

Posted Image

Clean and vacuumed I will probably Rinse this out and let it dry, and then re-flock it one more time

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is all for today's cleaning. I am going to bring the barrel home again so that tomorrow when i wash the whole thing, and clean the fleece as well, I can put it on towels on the barrel and strap it down in front of the kitchen heater to re-lock the leather back into a flat position

What ya think so far??

You do such beautiful work!
"Horse Nerd"

#27 mybanjo

mybanjo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I made some side by sides so it is easier to see!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think the fleece has me most pleased.. I was about to tell the owner not much could be done with it when i first got a good look.. But after the first cleaning process even before the wash i was happy.. after the wash I was just tickled pink!
It is soo much more soft and fluffy, I am thinking his horses and he will like his saddle much more.. I am hoping anyway!! :)

Posted Image

Awesome!
"Horse Nerd"

#28 mybanjo

mybanjo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Spent a very late night rubbing and polishing leather till my arms are sore, leather dried out faster than anticipated.. Good thing.. Let me work it pretty solidly for about 5 hours.. I am considering doing another coal of polish, but I am happy with the turnout. I am letting it sit the rest of the time off the barrel, the leather seem to be behaving itself very nicely!

Last night in the process.

Note the front sits more even!! (if you look close there is a difference in the thickness of the leather on the skirts.. this was fun to deal with)

Posted Image

looking from the rear you can see the jockeys are sitting very nicely!!

Posted Image

There is a little inner damp in the leather at this point, but dry enough for me to seal form the top.. I like the feel of the leather at this time for polishing.. makes the leather more receptive to the sealant.. (fiebrings leather polish)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some shots form today I took it outside to see it better.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So what ya think??

Is this the saddle I saw on New Years Day? On Maya?
"Horse Nerd"

#29 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

yes.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#30 sandra063

sandra063

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

If you manage to have them vaccummed regularly, they'll look great!